YAG following Cataract Surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

My Mom had the YAG laser done yesterday in one eye(she had Cataract Surgery 10 months ago)

Her right eye has been blurry since 2 weeks after the surgery. Yesterday afternoon she had the YAG done. This morning her vision is still blurry as if nothing was done. The Doctor made it sound like her vision would be clear in an hour. I looked around online and it does not say anywhere that the vision is better in an hour. I would appreciate any input on your experience with this procedure.

How long before you could see better? 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Here's an article to read on YAG for PCO. The article says "Complications causing decreased vision are uncommon but include elevated extraocular pressure, CME (cystoid macular edema), retinal detachment, IOL damage, endophthalmitis, iritis, vitritis, macular holes, and corneal edema".

Who knows what "uncommon" really means? I personally wouldn't have YAG done for PCO unless absolutely necessary, meaning you can't see well enough to drive legally the same way as you shouldn't have cataract surgery until you can't see well enough to pass a driver's license eye exam anymore. The article is "Nd:YAG Laser Posterior Capsulotomy" by Roger F. Steinert, MD from November 4, 2013 on the American Academy of Ophthalmology website.

• Posted

And I mean you shouldn't have cataract surgery until you can't see well enough to pass a driver's license exam FROM THE CATARACTS ALONE. Not from some other type of eye problem you may have.

• Posted

She only had it done because her vision was as blurry as before the cataract surgery.
    • Posted

Yes I know...I wrote that for anyone who reads it in the future.
  • Posted

I had cataracts done three years ago as I was in danger of Glaucoma, they were not bad, I had not even noticed that my vision was worse but the pressure was too high.  A year ago my vision became blurry & I had YAG on both eyes which has improved my distance vision but I still need glasses for reading.  I was warned that I may get floaters but I only have one in my left eye & can live with that, I kept thinking there was a fly buzzing around but now it doesn't bother me.  I hope your Mom's vision improves with time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.