Years after gallbladder...bile gastritis!!

Posted , 17 users are following.

Had cholecystectomy ( gallbladder surgery) just over 3 years ago and this week my gastro said I have considerable inflammation in the stomach because of bile 😱

i had stomach pain for over two years but since last week the pain intensity got much much worse. I can’t eat almost anything and have terrible nausea. I have bile gastritis which is chronic because I don’t have a gallbladder. Doctor gave me medicine to protect my stomach and that’s all it can be done for now. its Has been a nightmare of life. I’m really scared of this. It can cause other problems further in digestive system. Has anyone been though this?

i know they’re some herbals teas and natural supplements but this condition is too painful. Has anyone had a further surgery to help divert bile from the stomach?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How did your doctor confirm bile gastritis?  Sometimes I still think I have bile since I too don't have a gallbladder and I also have burning in my stomach.  However, my EGD back in June didn't show bile, I don't have symptoms while I sleep which would be the time to have symptoms with your stomach being empty and all, and I don't have any nausea whatsoever.  The stomach burning only started after I stopped my PPI cold turkey to get retested for h-pylori.  The acid rebound must have caused an ulcer, that's my best guess, and then there's the mold theory.  Anyways, I'm having another EGD in two weeks.  If no bile is found then I think it's safe to say it's not a bile issue.  But it's possible to get it later on down the road.

As for supplements/medications for bile gastritis, normally it's carafate & cholestyramine for the meds and slippery elm & camomile tea for the supplements.  Not sure about surgery, could consider something similar to the duodenal switch which will reroute the bile.  Since bile gastritis could eventually lead to stomach cancer, you could be a candidate for surgery.  I talked to one woman a while back who had bile gastritis for 8 years, finally found a surgeon who did a surgery on her to reroute the bile.  Other than some post-surgery complications, she said she's cured.  

• Posted

Hi Chucky. Had an endo on 23 rd Oct, and this week an appointment with a gastro and he told me there was considerable inflammation and bile in my stomach. I’m taking carafate for 4 days now. I feel constant abdominal pain, nausea and can’t sleep.

Surgery is something that I ‘m considering already because if medications can’t control this symptoms it’s really difficult to live life. 

Good of luck for your results. 

• Posted

I'm starting to think my issue could be a lack of bile.  Usually there's the people who have too much of it who get the bile acid diarrhea and then there's the other people who don't have enough of it that get indigestion, heartburn and constipation.  When there isn't enough bile to digest fat, the body over compensates with more stomach acid and that stomach acid doesn't get naturalized by the bile causing indigestion, occasional heartburn, etc.  Since I have gastritis, the indigestion is much more intense and this could explain on why I don't get symptoms while I sleep.  Can't take Ox-bile because I'm worried it may irritate my gastritis.  I know I have a fatty liver and my gallbladder was removed because of sludge, most likely due to the fatty liver producing thick bile.  I'm currently taking Milk Thistle & vitamin E along with a low fat & very low sugar diet to detox my liver and get the bile thinner and flowing again.  However, if I'm wrong and it's not a lack of bile problem, detoxing my liver and increasing bile production could make my problem worse.  *fingers crossed

If you're interested, I can PM you that woman's email and you could message her and get details on the surgery she had to fix her bile reflux.  Let me know.  Take care! 

• Posted

I’ve joined a group online Duodenal Switch for bile reflux and I’ve spoke with a few people already to find out more information about this operation. No one has had the surgery longer than 6 months. It’s seems a big life changing op, but there’s no other way to fix the bile I think. There’s only one doctor here in UK that comes on the DS facts website that does this . I want to try everything I can if there’s anything else that can help, before going for this surgery. Everthing seems to hurt my stomach. still taking sucralfate to see it helps my bile gastritis. But I’m not not very optimistic. 

PLease do send me her email . Thank you 😊 

• Posted

Thanks for the email and keep us posted about your results from the endo you’re doing. 
    • Posted

Where did you find someone to talk about the surgery they had for bile reflux?
    • Posted

I sent you a PM.  Also, there's a video on YouTube of a surgery specifically for bile reflux.  Just search bile reflux surgery and it will come up. 

• Posted

Hi,

I am also in UK and have same problem, bile reflux and bile gastritis for a number of years after having gallbladder removed. You mentioned you joined a group online for Duodenal Switch for bile reflux, can you tell me which one ? Have you had the operation yet or are still researching it ?

Thank you

• Posted

Hi,

I follow the BR group support and DS for bile reflux. I’ve been talking with people not just in the UK that have had the surgery already. At the moment I’m taking a lot of natural stuff and drinking a lot of water but still have pain, nausea, etc. In the UK there’s Dr. Kesava Mannur that does this type of surgery which is Duodenal switch but with non malabsorption called Demeester different to the weight loss surgery.  Just have a look at DS facts website or join the group and you’ll get a lot more information. I don’t want to do surgery if supplements help, but living everyday like this is not nice. The operation cost around £9.000 but if you have private insurance they might cover. I’m seeing my GI today actually, so I’m going to see what he says. It’s not going to be easy, he’s against this surgery. It’s £150 to see Dr. Mannur so have  look at his site and give him a call if you really desperate. wish you good luck I know how horrible this is xx

• Posted

Thats dr Kesava Mannur surgery on YouTube with a patient that I’ve been talking to. She’s still  having reflux, but they don’t think it’s bile . Before surgery it’s very important to do tests so to really know if bile it’s not the only problem. If people have acid reflux, slow gastric emptying, gastroparesis this surgery won’t cure it. Diverting the bile can cause other issues but it stays away from stomach if this is the only problem I guess.
    • Posted

Sorry to answering instead of Leni75 but I saw your question and am following your conversation: these are Facebook groups; if you have a FB account, you can search for 'Bile Reflux' and they will appear in the results, so that you can request admission. 

• Posted

I had by gallbladder out 6 weeks ago and have had horrible burning epigastric pain since.  My upper gi showed tons of bile in my stomach which is causing gastritis and esophagitis.  I just started carafate.  I am so sorry (and scared) to hear that yours has never resolved.  My GI claims my body should adjust but I am terrified it will not as I have huge black cloud over my head.  Do you have pain like me and/or diarrhea?  Does anything at all bring you relief?

I am 53 and think this is going to kill me.  I so regret getting my gallbladder out.  EVERYONE i know sailed through this surgery, not me.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you’re experiencing pain due to the bile reflux after your surgery. This is sooo hard to treat it but if you take sucralfate it will help. I have good and bad days depending on what I eat. Of course I restrain myself from having a lot of things I love eating and drinking but it’s always there.. Since having my gb out almost 4 years ago, only 2 months after giving birth, I’ve experience nothing but pain, anxiety, horrible feelings I was never going to get better. I actually know now it will be almost impossible to heal my stomach as I know it’s a chronic condition so I went see the surgeon in London and if in 3 months I’m not much better I’m afraid I’ll have to go through another surgery. I also have intolerance to narcotics and suffered from bilateral hip arthritis. I’m 42 years old and have a beautiful daughter that keeps me going really. Life sucks when you’re always in pain so I’m trying to live each day the best I can at the moment but I’m terrified about the future . Try to be calm as much as possible and deal with this condition the best you can. That’s all I can say. Good luck to you
    • Posted

Hi I had my gallbladder removed 26yrs ago when I was 25. By laprascope. I started with pain 2 days after surgery. Pain mimics gallstone attack. Had numerous endoscopies and Mri scans etc seen numerous consultants. Gastritis and bile reflux. Take 2 rantidine per day. Back at doctors yesterday being referred yet again. No pattern to attacks but pain is horendous lasts between 6 and 12 hrs. Have to make myself sick to relieve it. Would love an answer and a cure after all this time.
    • Posted

hi, you post was a while ago but i wanted to ask you if you've been diagnosed with SOD ( spincter of oddi dysfunction? pain that mimics gb attack but without a gb, its caused by the spinter at the end of bile duct. i experienced that pain after taking my gb 4 years ago, couple of times .what triggers my pain is definetely opiods type medications such as codeine, co-co damol, and a fruit smoothie once. i sympathise with you, it is without a doubt one of the worst pains a person can experience. there are some medications that can help with the bile duct spasms and spincter,please look for a good doctor that can help you with that. Find out what type you have and maybe you can find a cure. ALL THE BEST

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. Currently undergoing tests yet again. Having a EUS endoscopy waiting for a date. I cannot take co codamol or tramadol these either start the pain or really aggravate it. The pain is worse than labour pains. Also been diagnosed with bile reflux, hiatus hernia and gastritis. If I can get back on this link I will poat

• Posted

Post an update. Reply sent too quick arghh

• Posted

Is there any pain medication ( narcotic) you found you can tolerate or just those you mentioned? I'm really scared to have those pains again because there are horrific..but I'll need operations in my life such as hips and cant take painkillers. this is so bad..i wish i could go back in time and take care of my gallbladder better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.