Yet ANOTHER post about Wet Ones and Blepharitis

Posted , 22 users are following.

Before I went on this site, I was desparetely seeking to find help from someone who had blepharitis and cured it COMPLETELY. I saw online this youtube video from a lady who cured her blepharitis completely using coconut oil. While I tried this, I actually started to notice it was getting better. Here was the thing though, it got up to 60% better then when I went out to get the mail (windy day) my blepharitis came back and my eyes went down to only being 30% better. 

Then recently I came across a post by lynda79 about how she used wet ones, and I saw another user post about how their eyes were completely symptom free. This particular thread however was like a domino effect. Somebody tried it, got completely better, somebody else tried it, they got cured etc etc. 

So then I decided it was my turn to use Wet Ones, I started using them last Sunday, which by tomorrow will be a full week using them. 

My inital eye state was : Swollen, Dry Skin, Irritation, Dry Eyes in general, flaky skin, and I have even developed styes in the past.

My first day of using wet ones, it was such an immediate relief. I only did it twice the first day to try it out. My irritation went down and I was able to sleep comfortably. 

Third Day, flaky skin started to disappear, started doing this 4 times a day, did notice my eyelids were a bit dry so I started to use Aveeno on my eyelids to get rid of the dryness. 

I will keep updating about my eye state! (:

4 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello everyone! Today I wore makeup (again) and I want to say, no swolleness! No irritation! Nothing! Not even redness, I removed makeup and I feel fantastic! I am definetely happy with the results I am seeing, I will continue to use Wet Ones, if you are all wondering how I use makeup or how i disinfect my makeup let me know! 
    • Posted

That is so lovely for you ana 83617. bleph can be so debilitating at times. How do you use the wet ones. Do you do one wipe top and one wipe bottom lid. Do you wipe top of eyelashes or underneath?
    • Posted

I only have blepharitis on my eyelid, it used to extend to almost my eyebrows but now it's just to my lash area, so I only use them on my eyelid near my lash area (:
    • Posted

I also do not have blepharitis on my bottom lid
  • Posted

Hello everyone, it has been two weeks using wet ones. 

My routine goes like this, if I wear makeup, I use coconut oil to remove it. Once I remove all my makeup, I take a little bit more of the coconut oil, and just rub it on my eyelids for 30 seconds. I remove it with warm water, then I rip the wet one in half. One strip for each eyelid. Not only does this help with immediate relief, nut it helps with removing the residue. 

I would say my eyes are about 60% cured, I will keep update! Also, wet ones has relieved my swelling by 60% as well, I also put spoons in the fridge to reduce my swelling and luckily everything is working. I am blessed, and I will keep updated another week!

• Posted

I am having luck with WetOnes too. I am washing my eyes with warm water, using a heated face mask twice a day and then wrapping a small square do WetOnes around a Qtip and applying it to the upper and lower lash line. A seperate piece for both and then two new pieces for the other eye. This is helping me not dry out and irritate the skin under my eyes and on my upper eye lid. 

I also do a swipe of my eye brows with the WetOnes.

Change my pillowcases every other day, and was my hair at least 

every other day with Tea Tree Oil shampoo.

It is slowly getting better. I am hopeful.

• Posted

Hi Thanks everyone for these interesting posts. I remember reading about Lynda's success with Wet Ones a year or two ago. Looks like quite a few have had success now. I have MGD/dry eye/blepharitis. My eyelids appear fine, but what bothers me is the eyes always appear red (irritated sclera). Has anyone found that their eyes appear whiter while using Wet Ones?
    • Posted

My eyes were not red, the skin under my eyes however, is red, raw and very irritated. Saw my Dr this week and things were better at the lash line but she wants me to stop the WetOnes because she thinks it may be the case of the current irritation under my eyes and on some oil glands.

She put me on low dose doxycycline and wants me to use Avenove eye wash. It is a US prescription and is supposed to be non irritating and effective. I agreed to try this for two weeks and then check in with her. 

I was having luck with the WetOnes and may go back to them if her treatment plan does not work as well.

Maybe you need prescription eye drops to get the red out?

• Posted

I bought Avenova a few months ago but hardly used it. Like all the foam cleansers and ointments I've used, it irritates the sclera in my eyes. I get noticeable red capillaries in the whites of my eyes. But since you sent your post, I have used Avenova twice and I plan to keep using it for a decent few weeks this time. I'll let you know if I noticed any improvement. I'll also buy some Wet Wipes when I can.
  • Posted

Has anyone actually used wet ones for mgd?.. I'm talking about blocked glands, not blephartis on eyelashes.
    • Posted

Isn't all blepharitis caused by blocked glands?

We have different symtoms and different remedies, but it sounds to me like we all have blocked glands.

• Posted

There's 2 different types of blephartis. One is on the blocked glands where the oils come out to mix with the tears to keep the eyes lubricated. And the other type is on the the eyelash line where the actual eye lashes grow out from. I know you can use wet ones to kill the bacteria on the eye lash line but wanted to know if it works on mgd too.
    • Posted

meibomian gland dysfunction. It's the blocked glands type of blephartis
    • Posted

Here is what I understand from what I have read and from my experience so far: 

* Chronic Dry Eye is the underlying problem

* If you have dry eyes and and then you have an allergy (say to dust mites), or an infection in your eye, or rosacea, or some other irritant it can inflame the eye glands along the lid lines.

* This can cause the oil to build up on the lashes or glands get blockand and can cause redness, the build up of dandruff along the lashes, lashes growing in the wrong direction or falling out, mgd, a stye or chalazion, or inflames eye lids and as with my eyes under eye red, raw, and dry flaking dead skin cells- eczema I think.

Here is the road I have travel down:

I had dry eyes, then occasional red irritated eyes, then gritty build up on my eyelashes then the swelling of eye lids and under the eyes, then a chalazion. I have been working with my Opthalmologist and doing A Lot of research on my own. This site has been Very helpful.

Over the past three months I have tried different treatments and different home routines. I stared with prescription FML gel applied around but not in my eyes. It is a steroid and although it was helping it was causing a build up of pressure in my eyes and I had to stop using it. 

Then I tried tea tree oil shampoo diluted in water. That helped but was also irritating the skin around my eyes. I switched to Cliradex which is tea tree oil based but less irritating. However again it irrited the skin around my eyes.

Next, I started using WetOnes. I cut them into small squares and applied it just along the lash lines by wrapping the squares around a Q-tip.i used a new square for each lash line. This started to make a real difference.

i would wash my eyes with warm water to get the gritt off, used a micro wavable face mask for a warm compress 2x a day, put preservative free eye drops in throughout the day, did extra eye blinking (20 blinks after each compress) and used the WetOnes morning and night. 

I change my pillowcase every other day and shampoo daily.

Things slowly started getting better. The swelling was fling down, the chalazion was gone, the itching was better. The red irritated raccoon eyes were still very irrited and looked awful. 

When I went to a follow up vis it with my Opthalmologist the gritty eyelash dandruff was better, but my oil glands were inflamed. She asked me to stop using WetOnes and switched me to Avenova lid and lash cleanser. She also put me on doxycycline and wanted me to use that for 2 weeks and then come back in so she could see how things are going. 

My appointment is in a few days and I can honest say things are looking better. I think that because we all have different causes, different sensitivities  and different recommendations, there is no sure fire treatment. One size does not fit all. For some, my self included, what works for awhile on one aspect may have to be changed up to address another. 

Right now Avenova is really helping and it is not irritating the skin around my eyes. It is, however, very expensive. Well, my eyelid is itching just talking about all this...time for a warm compress for relief!😂

• Posted

My eyes don't feel dry what so ever.. but I have had inflamed lower eye lids and have done for about 2years. Been to all the best eye doctors in London but none of them know anything about the roof cause of mgd or blephartis, they all just say the same things, hot compressers and massage until you squeeze the blockage out. I don't this for 3 months everyday and not once did any gunk come out but I recently brought a expresser forcep tool online and the 1st time of using it I popped my glands and for the 1st time ever some gunk popped out, and that was with out heating up. As there's no good eye surgens in the UK I'm thinking about travelling the Florida to get probed by doctor masking as I can't express the upper eyelids by myself.
    • Posted

Its interesting that you mentioned Avenova, I have had Ocular Roscea since 2007, and Blepharitis  Have been on and off doxy and Azasit and , but have read about this Avenova, and understand its RX only and that 40 percent of the insurance companies cover it...I called the Company that makes it, there is no generic its suppposed to be wonderful because it contains no bleach at the other products have I am going next week for my 6 month check up. My insurance charges 250 a bottle for this they dont cover at all this product is new only been out approx 2 years..They are williing to work with me.. Its not even covered by Medicare.. I am going to try this..I hear it  is fabulous. I do wear gas perm contacts with not problems and do warm soak every morning with moist heat with the Sinus Buddy i bought at Walmart. I then clean my lids with Systance wipes, Occusoft too harsh.. I use Restasis twice a day.  I really would like to see if Avenova will help.
    • Posted

My CVS pharmacist was able to apply a discount plan to my prescription. It was listed at $120 and I payed $36! It had to be ordered since it was not in stock in any pharmacy in my area.

My Rx plan did not cover it at all. 

• Posted

Hi Andy , there's a surgeon ,  who offered me ( if all failed ) to do the op where they pop in inserts in your glands to keep them open . I saw him privately at The hampshire Clinic near Basingstoke .
    • Posted

my ocular surgeon told me that the inserts are not for my type of conditon, and it would not benefit me at all. I want to try the Avenova, i was told by Nova Bay who makes it, that if I can use Bacom Palmer Eye Insititute Pharmacy, they sell it for 40 dollars a bottle, it's too new to be covered and is not covered by medicare only been on market 2yrs.
    • Posted

Yes , it's only for those who have a severe problem with the natural oils not flowing due to the constriction of the glands . Effectively it makes the gland openings always open .

• Posted

If you do consider going to our country, my Surgeon is outstanding his creditials. He is Dr Arup Krubal, and Dr Vendula..They both would be worth seeing,. Look up Dr Vendula on the internet you will be exceedly impressed with his creditials.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.