Your felling now

Posted , 10 users are following.

Ok ladies and gents, for a few weeks now hve watching from afar and taking everything on board, I've spoken to some great positive people who have put my mind at rest, but I'm mindful that this is a massive operation and depending on fitness, health age etc everyone has a different recovery or outcome. So thinking back to why you wanted the op pain, walking, work,the way your feet looked etc, would you go through this again? Where your expectations higher than than the results you recieved, do your feet look and work how you expected them too? How long did you expect to be off work and how long actually did your recovery take? I'm feeling from what I've been reading the outcome for some is not what they expected and the positives seem to be few. I wonder if age hinders recovery? Your thoughts are appreciated Many thanks

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry typing errors Your feelings now lol 
  • Posted

Hi , just to let you know what I have experienced , I had my first bunion done in March last year , I had 2 screws put in , the main problem I had was the swelling , I was off work for 4 months , I am a delivery driver so my foot had to be ok for me to return to work , I had my other foot done in Jan this year , I have had the same operation as last time , I am just weaning myself off the boot but I have quite a bit of pain in the arch of my foot , I hope this will settle down as the weeks pass , I'm signed off work until the 18 th of this month but as I'm still a delivery driver I have to be sure I can do an emergency stop to which I don't think I could at the moment .

i am pleased with the results of my first foot and that is why I decided to have the other one done , recovery is longer than I thought but as my consultant explained it is a massive operation to the foot , 

i hope this helps , I would recommend anyone to go ahead and have your feet sorted out , once the swelling settles , it's so worth it , 

• Posted

Thank you happy face, it's nice to hear other people's stories, after all, we can all relate to the pain and discomfort of our feet, how they look and make us feel. I agree that it's a massive op, I'm a really active person, really active lol, it's took a lot to give in, but I can't carry on as I am. I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly apart from the pain. I'm two weeks away from my second consultation where I'm hoping I can have a double surgery. I'll keep everyone posted
  • Posted

Rae, I had both feet done at the same time 13 months ago.  The bunions were removed and both big toes and two toes on the left foot and one on the right were fused.  I was playing golf in 3 months and back to jogging in four months.  Because of the fusion, my feet aren't as flexible as they used to be but I've gotten used to it.  Would I do it again?  Absolutely!  I'm 68 years old and my surgeon put me on vitamin D3 and calcium 6 weeks before my surgery.  Good luck and if you have any questions, just ask!
    • Posted

Wow! Super woman! Well done you, I'm really positive about getting them fixed, but that little niggle of doubt keeps rearing its head lol, my feet are at 30 and 35% I have to get this done now, I've waited too long, throbbing pain and discomfort is pushing me on. I'm taking all the comments and advice on board and D3 and calcium is on my list, thankyou for your input Lynn.
    • Posted

I think these are the things that lead to a successful surgery:  (1) make sure you have a good surgeon--I interviewed and got recommendations on two before making my decision; (2) be prepared with help at home, food in the freezer, shower chair, foam block to elevate your feet, wheel chair or other means to move around, and lots and lots of movies, books, DVDs; (3) follow your surgeon's instructions to a T; and (4) be patient.  This is major surgery and healing is very slow.  My surgeon said it takes a full year before all the bones and tendons are healed.
  • Posted

Okay, Rae! You answered your question- everyone experience will be different, too many things you need to take to consideration .

you asked if we will do it again, I will. I was expecting a lot of pain, long recovery. Mostly because I was reading to much blogs about bunions. I didn't have pain,I was working from the first day in the boot.  After4 week I am going around in normal shoes. I am not in a hurry to go to work, even you feels perfect, your bone needs the time to heal. So, I will do my left foot after my vacation . I hope, it will be easy like my right one.good luck!

• Posted

Forget to mention, like Lynn , I started taking vitamin C 2 weeks before and still take it. Also trained my balance and use exercises with tennis ball for my foot.
    • Posted

Thank you Irina, I have read your posts before and took your comments on board, yes I'm looking for support I suppose, I am worried but will be fine because I have great support at home. I've listened to everyone's experiences and took it on board, I too have read to much about double bunion surgery, my head is spinning, but......it won't stop me! Yes foot needs time to heal correctly and we mustn't rush. I look forward to reading your updates and wish you a great recovery. Thank you.
    • Posted

Thank you for your wishes, Rae. The most important to you now- to choose a good doctor. I started collecting information 1 year before operation, I just mentioned it to everyone of my friends and clients. I lived in a very big town- St Louis, but suprisingly at the end I have 2 names ,all my friends were using the same 2 doctors! So, I visit both of them, I loved both of them too. So I used signs. I came after visiting the second doctor back to work and my friend said, that she has a good doctor, whom she used for different operation.she told me the name of my second doctor,so after this, I choose him,not to mention, he was born the same year as me. You will laugh at me, but I also decided to do operation on the full moon. So far, everything works fine.
  • Posted

Hi Rae, glad that you have had some positive replies. I had my bunion

and hammer toe op 4 weeks ago and although everything is going well it is difficult to imagine that my foot will ever be normal again. I have not

had too much pain and can potter around the house fully weight bearing

in surgical shoe. Have even managed to go out a couple of times to restaurants. It took me 7 years to summon up enough courage to go through with this op and saw 4 consultants before I finally decided who to trust. My foot was in such a poor state I had to go to chiropodists and I spent

years trying to find a surgeon that they would recommend. The person I chose had successfully operated on a couple of people I know and they even went back to have the second one done so I figured that

he must have a good reputation and I was becoming so desperate that I had to put my faith in someone.

The worst part about it now is the swelling, but I understand that it is still early days for me. Fortunately the other foot is OK. I have a slight bunion but not bad enough to consider surgery.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Christine wow 7 years us along time to make the decision but I guess there is no tight time with this surgery I agree about courage! Takes a lot to actually do it , wishing you the best with your recovery and thank you for your reply you ladies are awesome I also have hammer toe which is painful at the moment.

• Posted

Hi, I had it done becuase of foot pain...15 weeks post op and I wish I never would have done it.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear of your pain Chris x I'm wishing you a speedy recovery best wishes
  • Posted

Hi Rae - I had a bilateral Chevron Atkins on Dec 8 and I am so pleased with the results. There was very little pain so it was a breeze compared to what I was expecting. I followed the surgeons instructions to a T - I think that is so important.  I actually had a minimally invasive procedure.  I did a lot of research beforehand and I reckoned by using this technique there is less risk of infection and an added bonus hardly any scars. It is vital that you find a top rate surgeon. I travelled from Abu Dhabi to London to have mine done. My surgeon was amazing and I can't speak highly enough of him. Wishing you all the best Rae. Psych yourself  up and just go for it. You won't  regret it! Btw I'm 64 years old. 
    • Posted

Thanks sandi x yes I will follow to a T after all the stories on this forum I feel it's the best way forward thanks for your time x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.