Your felling now

Posted , 10 users are following.

Ok ladies and gents, for a few weeks now hve watching from afar and taking everything on board, I've spoken to some great positive people who have put my mind at rest, but I'm mindful that this is a massive operation and depending on fitness, health age etc everyone has a different recovery or outcome. So thinking back to why you wanted the op pain, walking, work,the way your feet looked etc, would you go through this again? Where your expectations higher than than the results you recieved, do your feet look and work how you expected them too? How long did you expect to be off work and how long actually did your recovery take? I'm feeling from what I've been reading the outcome for some is not what they expected and the positives seem to be few. I wonder if age hinders recovery? Your thoughts are appreciated Many thanks

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi my reason for going ahead with op was pain after being on feet for any length of time or wearing certain shoes on a night out is have to take spare flat shoes as I knew I'd be in agony, I work on a hospital ward doing 13 hour shifts my feet hurt when hot so after few years putting off went for it, I'm not back at work yet but so far so good I'm week two tomorrow post op and I'm weight bearing in post op shoe only minimal pain end of day so still ice and elevate but getting around ok with care and common sense, I've a high pain threshold but have to be honest first 48 hrs hurt a lot I was told I need other foot done and at present I will go ahead in future when this healed, I'm relatively fit don't drive so walk everywhere and im 54. Today I'm starting light exercise I can do without using my foot,, key to good recovery is for me I think plan ahead and listen to yr surgeon advice they all differ even if same procedure x

• Posted

Thanks lyn, I will hopefully be have a double op fingers crossed, work and money is the biggest reason, I wish you a speedy recovery x
  • Posted

Yes I would do it again virtually pain free odd day a bit rocky finished my physio getting my other foot done in 6 mths
  • Posted

Hi Rae, I am 70 yrs old. Have had bunions and flat feet since I was in my twenties. The bunions were getting more painful and comfortable shoes were becoming more difficult to find. Walking was becoming painful and getting worse. I'd dismissed all thoughts of surgery at first, as I'd heard it was extremely painful. However, I finally plucked up the courage to have it done. Surgery took place here in the UK last December - so exactly 12 weeks ago today. The results are fantastic! The toe looks beautiful!... (can you call toes beautiful?) The pain I had heard about, never happened. I was in hospital just one night and home next day. I took paracetamol tablets for a few days and that was all. Yes there is discomfort of course, but nothing I couldn't handle. Resting with your foot elevated higher than your heart is crucial especially for the first two weeks. This cuts down on swelling and throbbing. After that and up to 6 weeks you can walk a little with crutches but you must elevate the foot for 45/50 minutes out of every hour. After my final check with the surgeon at 7 weeks I began walking more and more putting full weight onto the foot. I was able by now to wear my usual walking shoes which were flat leather lace-ups. I started driving again once I could use the clutch without discomfort. I returned to supermarket shopping, walking the dog every day etc. Now at 12 weeks everything is absolutely wonderful. I have no discomfort, no pain - although I never really did, and there's no sign of a limp. I am so delighted with the results, that I am having the right foot done in September -  and my husband says he's entering me for the London Marathon - he's joking of course!!!

Looking back, things turned out to be far better than I could have ever have imagined. The results were amazing. The operation went well, very little pain and discomfort and none of the horror stories I'd read about, materialised. Post op can be boring with a fair bit of sitting around so you need to find plenty to read etc. Without the surgery I know that I would have ended up as a cripple. Bunions don't go away - they do gradually get worse and more painful. I now walk with a 'spring in my step' and walking is a great pleasure again. As a retired person I can't say how long you would need off work. It depends what your job is? Put it this way, at six weeks post op I wouldn't have wanted to be on my feet for very long  - but say, at 10 weeks I could. Anyway, I would definitely recommend the corrective surgery - so I'd say "go for it". Good luck and best wishes.LadyPink

• Posted

Thanks so much lady pink . You are amazing, well done and you right bunions don't go away! X keep us posted in your progress x
  • Posted

I am 64yrs old and just had my first bunion operation about 6 days ok. I feel fine although haven't done anything but watch TV. I found the pain better than expected after first 2 days. I only take paracetomol at moment so pleased about that. Dr gave me tramadol strong painkiller but I started to vomit so that was the end of them. The codeine also had side effects so left them alone too. I have had bunion off and hammer toe straightened with a pin in it. A bit in the dark about what happens next cos everyone different like you have said. I am an active 64yr old who goes gym and lots of grandchildren so I hp I won't be out of it for long. The forum has been a god send to me and a great comfort
    • Posted

Hello and welcome smile I too have found the experience not as bad as I expected but I know I've still a way to go before complete healing in place I'm please it's gone this way as I need other one done too and this forum is full of good advice and good to have someone to chat too while unable to get about so much, I don't normally join forums but pleased I joined this one smile
  • Posted

Hi, reasons for surgery, my major joints were rubbing through thick leather caterpillar boots, and after they did that to the 3rd pair, I thought I better see the doctor. Was referred to a consolutant, who said if I didn't have something done within the next 2years I would  damage the other joints, and would find any movement impossible. So, 27/11/14 bilateral lapidus & Atkins procedure and release of hammers toes. Lost 3pints during the op, bp 70/30 afterwards = dramatic night in hospital, then released by noon the next day. Managed to stay on the meds for 5 days before I threw them away, just hated the effect they were having on me.  I could manage the stairs from 29/11 and moved painfully around the house, when required. Knitted scarfs, jumpers -anything, which meant, as I had my feet up,  I got me a flat tummy a strange and welcomed side effect. Signed off for 8 weeks, physio started @ 9 weeks, from all accounts I'm about 6 weeks ahead of what I should be. I haven't had a decent night sleep since 26/11  as the feet hurt and throb, along with a bit of sciatica and knee pain, due to muscle wastage. I've been driving since 8 weeks, can walk 3+ miles in one go (knackered after it) have just started using my husbands rowing m/c every night, also have started a beginners pole dance class (I look like a hippo kebab). All in all, I wonder why I put myself through it, but, thats mainly due to the slowness of recovery, the horrible painful swellings, but considering what I was like a month or so ago when I could only wear walking sandals - I'm pleased with the progress. Really looking forward to when spring finally arrives, so I can attack my first 12 mile walk, and then I'll know I'm on the road to recovery. Oh, I'm 60, work full time in IT support.

sorry about the grammar and punctuation, feel I should have put my time off to better use . Seems strange, but now I'm back at work, I wonder where did all that time go, I quite enjoyed being 'lazy' , but at the time just hated being immobile.

Caroline xxx

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Caroline x that's seems to be the hardest part the sitting around recovery and the pain the first few weeks, but I suppose it's expected with such a big surgery, I too have one hammertoe I'm hoping my surgeon will do all in one go so fingers crossed x it sounds like your happy with your feet and I'm so glad your keeping fit too x I will update my progress as and when x you will all be sick of me lol
  • Posted

Rae, 

it's not just the sitting around, but your expectations. Consultant says you can expect some swelling, and it may take up to a year for full recovery,  I will make small  incisions either side of the major joint means   when translated, 6 inches of scar on the arch side, an inch between the big toe and second, cuts to the for and back of the 2nd toe and feet like puffer balls. Unlike a broken bone, which heals in 6 weeks, some of these procedures also twist and turn the bones which makes healing longer, more painful and more frustrating. MIS surgery has faster/better recovery rates, so find out which one your surgeon will use on you. If you have a lapidus, seriously think of doing one foot at a time, recovery is quicker, as you have one 'good' leg, but you'll have to go through it twice. If you know a physiotherapist, chat to them about it I wish that I had met Marion prior to the op, so that she could asses me before hand then she would know my fairness levels, and to give me exercises to do immediately afterwards. It's a long journey, the problem being you don't know how long. And yes, being a total control freak I hate being bossed around by my feet grrrrrrr!

keep posting.

caroline xxx

• Posted

Thanks Caroline, I appreciate your honest response, so so much to think about, I have mixed feelings but know I have to do this as I cannot carry kn how I am, I'm hoping my fitness and age 40s will be a positive for me, I've heard lots of horror stories which can be very worrying but also I have seen many positives, I have my list of questions ready thanks to you lovely ladies lol I will keep you posted thanks again x
    • Posted

Rae

update, decided not to use a spare chair to rest my legs on today at work, kept big bovver boots on and laced up, worked a full day and managed to walk 3.5 miles home, feet felt raw, but boots off for the past 2hours and hardly any swelling. I'm sitting, and they feel brilliant, stand and I'm about 99 and hobbling, and they hurt, but don't ask me to squat or sit on the floor -far too advanced for now. Yippee!!!!!!

i won't post tomorrow, I'll probably have a s**t night and be down in the dumps.

one happy bunny biggrin

• Posted

Hi how many weeks were you when you went back to work? And at what stage did you manage to get shoes on, I'm week 3 today have managed to walk without post op shoe but only in the house and with care still have to wear it outdoors for next 3 weeks, thought id try and see if I could get my foot into my ugg type boot sad no luck even though foot not too swollen it just wouldn't fit or bend properly I'm doing all exercises and happy with result so far just curious as to what stage people are getting back into shoes and work x
    • Posted

I was 6 weeks in the heal walking shoes, with splints for the last 4 weeks, as soon as I had the OK, I started to wear my Birkenstocks around the house, and the next day wore walking sandals (the ones with the Velcro straps) to walk (hobble) to the local shops .6 of a mile away. Back to work at 7 weeks, phased return. Started to see the physio at 9 weeks, but still couldn't wear anything else until 10 weeks when I managed to get into Ugg boots,that my daughter had broken in for me. 13 weeks, could push the sausages into an old pair of caterpillar boots,  which I wear for walking, uggs for drivings around (had to @ 7 weeks or  get public transport and walk for miles)  I haven't tried to wear anything else, yet, but now am very tempted.

dont rush back to work, unless you have to, it's physically tiring after so long out, and if you can get a phased return you'll find that you sleep most of the days that you're out.

xxx

• Posted

Wow Caroline! Amazing, your doing so well and very determined by the sounds of it! No bad night for you! Sending positive vibes your way! Hope you have a great nights sleep, another day closer smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.