Your Mirtazapine routine.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I'm still new to Mirtazapine and trying to find a level that works for me. So I just wanted to know what others have found has worked for them?

For about 3 weeks I've been taking 15mg at night before bed. I take it in two doses as I find one can be too stimulating and wakes me up. 

The sedation effect has worn off now but I still feel muddled and find it hard to focus during my day, I'm hoping this will wear off too. I wouldn't feel safe driving like this at all.

What at dose are you on & when do you take it? How does it effect you? 

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I take 30mg mirtazapine with 150mg venlafaxine at 9.30pm then go to sleep about 11pm. Then I take another 75mg venlafaxine at 7.30 in the morning. That works for me.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying Pixie.

Have you had any side effects from taking the Mirt? Or do you just feel like yourself during the day? 

• Posted

I've not noticed any side-effects from Mirtazapine. I haven't had the increased appetite and weight gain that some people have. I just feel like myself during the day, and I can get on with my life without the drag of depression and the agony of anxiety. That sounds quite poetic, doesn't it!
  • Posted

I take 7.5mg mirt at 9pm and go to bed 11pm.  After taking the mirt I do not feel sleepy but my balance is affected.  I need about 11 hours sleep - which is annoying but better than the alternative.  I take 100mg sertraline in the "morning" and do not feel groggy during the day.  The low dose of mirt is to counteract insomnia and the sertraline is for generalised anxiety. I hope this helps.  Best wishes.     
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply O. 

Have you been taking Mirt for very long? I found that when I started I was sleeping for about 10 hours at least. But now it's somewhere between 6 and 9, depending on how much I awaken during the night. 

• Posted

I have been taking it for 6 months, but still need 11 hours sleep. You are lucky in that respect.  
    • Posted

I think the lower the dose you take the more sedative it becomes. My sleep is still very erratic, some times I don't sleep at all, other nights I'll sleep for a few hours then wake and sleep repeatedly. A couple of nights I've had pretty bad night terrors. 
    • Posted

I too tend to wake up several times - but can go back to sleep.

I suspect the sleep is REM though which is not as refreshing as deep sleep.  Perhaps that is why I need so much sleep.

I found the dreams very vivid in the first few weeks, but have improved since.    

• Posted

In general is the Mirt / Sertraline combination one you find works for you? 

• Posted

Yes.  Nothing is perfect so you have to settle on the likely best treatment. The disadvantages are the "over" sleeping and hunger in the evening.  The alternative is insomnia and anxiety which were unbearable.  

Another SSRI such as citalopram may have worked as well for the anxiety.   Also venlafaxine is reported to be good. It was the mirt which really made the difference for me. I had gone for weeks with almost no sleep. Mirt solved that immediately.    

• Posted

15mg of Mirt has helped me sleep but only now has any affect on my anxiety for a short period, pretty much overnight, then wears off during the day leaving me feeling pretty rotten. Anything over that it seems to stop as a sleep aid and is more likely to keep me up it seems. I think a combination may be a way forward for me. 
  • Posted

Hi Mort

I have been on 15 mg Mirt for 12+ months, the sedation effect never really wore off for me, I still feel quite groggy at times.  I am now doing a slow taper and am down to 7.5mg.

The lower dose I find more sedating, as is the norm I understand.

The 15mg made me hungry all the time, the 7.5 less so.  I took Mirt originally for insomnia which caused massive anxieties and it worked from day one to help me sleep.

Best wishes, I hope Mirt' works well for you.  Bear in mind that this requires a slow taper off if and when your time comes.

• Posted

Just 3 days into taking 15mg mirt for 1st time prescribed for insomnia, general and often severe anxiety and depression. First night slept 10 hours - first time for years !. Groggy and spaced out the next day. 2nd night very broken sleep and last night awake most of night.  I know I have to stick with it in the hope it will eventually help  but it's really tough in this early period  trying to cope with the symptoms I was prescribed the tablet for along with zombie effect that I'm left with next day.  
    • Posted

A lot of people say a 7.5mg dose is the best for sleep. But you won't get the benefits of Mirt as an AD on a low dose. 

In general the Mirt has helped me sleep, although, like you I've had a couple of sleepless nights. 

The strong sedative effect usual reduces fairly quickly, so your next day's should get less sedatry soon. I found the sedative effect greatly reduced my anxiety which was a useful side effect. 

Good luck Only. Hope your feeling better soon. 

• Posted

Thanks Mort - really appreciate your reply (sorry for delay - not had access to internet). The sedative effect has indeed reduced (thank goodness) and I'm praying that sleep improves and anxiety levels reduce.  My first time on the forum and what a godsend it is to be able to relate to others who understand !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.