Your Scabies WILL Go Away!

Posted , 48 users are following.

I just want to write this for anyone who has recently been diagnosed with scabies and is feeling very hopeless. (I don't doubt that some of the people on here truly have been struggling with this for a very long time, or maybe another condition that is misdiagnosed as Scabies.) But when you know nothing about Scabies and you come across these forums it is extremely disheartening, and you end up convinced that you will never get rid of it.

By the time I was diagnosed with scabies my legs were absolutely destroyed by the buggers. It started with one itchy bump, which I didn't feel constituted a visit to my doctor, and by the time I came back from camping and was able to make an appt. It had spread rapidly. I was prescribed 5% permethrin which is available behind the counter. I used it exactly as the packaging directed (Only I applied it to my face as well because I'm paranoid) two treatments, one week apart. I cleaned my house thoroughly, washed all sheets and pillows everyday for a week (which is probably overkill)

Now you're not going to see improvement right away, in fact it will get worse first. For me it was torture (I feel like most legitimate medical websites don't tell you about the psychological torture that scabies is), the itching was so bad that I hadn't slept for about 5 days and spent most of my time in a cold bath as that was the only thing that have me relief, this is the only time in my life I've experienced legitimate depression. Slowly (very slowly) things will get better. It took 6 weeks from my first treatment for my itching to go away completely. It's extremely hard to believe the scabies are gone when the itching and bumps last for so long (especially with these forums where people tell you scabies live in your walls and you have to bathe in bleach to get rid of them).

It was a long haul, but they did go away with just the average treatment. There's not alot of info online about Scabies but I believe that it's because it truly is just that easy to get rid of.

I'm having trouble getting out all my thoughts in a cohesive manor but what I'm trying to get across is you will be cured. It will be hard to stay positive, but just focus on relieveing your symptoms. Heres my suggestion:

Take very cold baths (or showers but I found baths better) followed by:

-spraying affected areas with Holista tea tree oil, not because tea tree oil "kills scabies" but because the Holista spray has peppermint in it as well which is very soothing

-rubbing on Eucerin calming cream

This combination fave me relief from itching for 45mins-1hr outside of the bath.

Stay positive, and stay off of these forums!

6 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

ive had a mite infestion mostley on my scalp. burrowing mites and sores. dr say nerves. i can agree because these mites did that. tried everything prescriotions etc. Sometimes home remedies work better. In the kitchen baking soda, venigar , salt,etc. sulfur(Nu Stock) for animals. its non toxic. 
    • Posted

Over the counter medication did not work for me and i resorted to good old fashioned remedies, I read about NEEM oil disrupting the scabies reproduction cycle and so covered my whole body in it at night including my hair, not a pleasant smell, I also went on holiday so not sure if this also helped, but this neem oil has been used for a lifetime and it put an end to my scabies infestation

• Posted

Hello everyone, i hope somebody will read this and help me.

I've been struggling to treat my scabies for over a month now, and used 2 times permethrin in 2 weeks. the first 3 days every bump was gone but now they are re-appearing. Is this post -scabies? I washed EVERYTHING (60 degrees) and even went away from my home for a week.. the itching is the same as before and i'm just getting desperate and depressed. I don't feel like a normal person anymore. so is it normal to get new bumps or is this reinfection? I'm so done.

Please help me

• Posted

same is happening with me. if you get rid of them please please let me know.

• Posted

Just wanted ti add a few things- ive had scabies now, diagnosed anyway, for about 2 weeks, and i noticed myself that every time i went through the procedures of gettig rid of the scabies they just reappeared and still are continuing to do so.

HOWEVER, online i stumbled upon something that told me that permethrin cream only kills mites, not their eggs, contrary to what people say. My recommendation to anyone who is living with these creatures, only put in the effort when needed, treat whenever you see new burrows appear (look like tiny blisters with a hole in the middle) even if it means doing it every 2-3 days. This may be a way of killing the mites as soon as they hatch rather than just waiting every 7 days for them to lay new eggs and repeat the cycle.

• Posted

I've read through this forum and it's been very helpful as I am currently feeling very down about having scabies. I've had them now for 6 weeks and finding it very disheartening. I freak-out when I see the slightest red mark on my feet (where I have the scabies) and I fear that I am over treating it.

Is it true that red marks/bumps can still appear even if the scabies are gone? Or is this a sign of re-infestation?

• Posted

I'm scabies free. No bumps, no itch. I used many things except pills. I hope it wont occur again.

At the final I used a new lotion named scab-eks in Turkey.

• Posted

I went through all the same treatments as everyone else. At some point the treatments triggered a breakout of horrible eczema that was miserable and similar to the scabies in symptoms. One seemed to blend into the other. It went away. I don't know at what point the scabies ended and the eczema began.

• Posted

kit nearly tore soul apart having scabies done a head to toe first tube gone so the other in a week lack of sleep was bad too. truly

in a week

• Posted

kit nearly tore soul apart having scabies done a head to toe first tube gone so the other in a week lack of sleep was bad too. truly awful

in a week

• Posted

thank you so much for your post, i feel like i am never going to sleep again i am itching that much. i have done my first lot of treatment tonight after me telling my doctor what i knew it was, they tried to tell me it was an allergy even though i had explained that my daughters friend had it who passed to my daughter and then she has passed it to me. I have never experienced anything so irritating in my life ! I don't think I can take it much longer !

• Posted

i have literally been going crazy. it all started because i work in home care and whenever i reached out about my client having a super bad rash and now i was starting to form one and i assumed it was scabies i would be pushed aside. i started bringing her to numerous doctors to only being told she was having a medical reaction to her medication and ahrugging off my rash as just a coincidence. she was literally covered head to toe. then a month ago my poor baby even started inching intense and formong a rash. still shrugged so then i finally got them to take a skin graph and they looked at mine again just to hear they cant look and just tell. sure enough a week later FINALLY i got the answer she had scabies and thats what mine was. The pharmacy refused to give me my two tubes for some reason while i waited on my poor daughters appointments today. Even the nurse couldnt understand why. Therefore we shared one bottle because of no choice to atleast try to pertain it. im now waiting on more bottles to arrive at a new pharmacy today but still no call. Its been hell and much worse since i used the first treatment even though it was not enough i cant tell if spots have healed or post scabies but it is much worse and so unbearable with the itch. I can definitely relate to driving you insane!

• Edited

I was diagnosed with scabies 16 days ago. This is the worst experience of my life. I think I picked it up from a blanket I used at the blood center, while I donated blood. Seems so unfair that I'm being punished this way, just because I did a nice thing.

I've used two tubes of 5% permethrin and tried making my own neem lotion (smells awful). I can only sleep if I take Benadryl and a prescription sleep tranquilizer. My life as I knew it is over. My days are spent entirely on vacuuming and laundry. The itching is horrendous and I don't know how much longer I can tolerate this. I'm filled with dread, knowing some of you folks have been dealing with this for months & months. I'm grateful I found this community on this forum. My husband has zero symptoms, which I'm happy for him, but it makes me feel extra crazy . Scabies has consumed my entire life now. ☹

• Posted

scabies is particularly hard in couples. since one can get cured eland get reinfected if the other is not completely cured. so its cycle. success stories have come use of Aloe vera, or even the mosquito repelant with aloe vera combine that with bathing with smelly sulfur soap. apply after bath, mix repelantwith lotion. perimethin is a waste of money, since it only kills surface scabs and not all those under the skin. I know of people who spent thousands of dollars on it and spent 3 agonizing years of treatment. let us know if this works...there would be itching but its different type.

• Posted

I had scabies for about 2 years. I knew what it was right away because my best friend had just been diagnosed with it and we had the same symptoms. I got ivermectin from the health department and it seemed to help, but they were back within a month. I spent the next two years trying to convince my regular doctor to give me Ivermectin (the health dept stopped giving people Ivermectin shortly after i got my dose) but he first prescribed me a random anti perspirant spray, then steroids, then lice treatment. I got rid of him and went to a different doc who agreed to Ivermectin and i did one treatment, left it on for 12 hours and made sure not to get my skin wet. During those 12 hours, i washed all of my clothes and bedding. The next day, i showered and have now been scabies free for 9 years . I know how agonizing this is and how desperate it makes you and I hope you all find the relief you deserve.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.