Your Scabies WILL Go Away!

Posted , 48 users are following.

I just want to write this for anyone who has recently been diagnosed with scabies and is feeling very hopeless. (I don't doubt that some of the people on here truly have been struggling with this for a very long time, or maybe another condition that is misdiagnosed as Scabies.) But when you know nothing about Scabies and you come across these forums it is extremely disheartening, and you end up convinced that you will never get rid of it.

By the time I was diagnosed with scabies my legs were absolutely destroyed by the buggers. It started with one itchy bump, which I didn't feel constituted a visit to my doctor, and by the time I came back from camping and was able to make an appt. It had spread rapidly. I was prescribed 5% permethrin which is available behind the counter. I used it exactly as the packaging directed (Only I applied it to my face as well because I'm paranoid) two treatments, one week apart. I cleaned my house thoroughly, washed all sheets and pillows everyday for a week (which is probably overkill)

Now you're not going to see improvement right away, in fact it will get worse first. For me it was torture (I feel like most legitimate medical websites don't tell you about the psychological torture that scabies is), the itching was so bad that I hadn't slept for about 5 days and spent most of my time in a cold bath as that was the only thing that have me relief, this is the only time in my life I've experienced legitimate depression. Slowly (very slowly) things will get better. It took 6 weeks from my first treatment for my itching to go away completely. It's extremely hard to believe the scabies are gone when the itching and bumps last for so long (especially with these forums where people tell you scabies live in your walls and you have to bathe in bleach to get rid of them).

It was a long haul, but they did go away with just the average treatment. There's not alot of info online about Scabies but I believe that it's because it truly is just that easy to get rid of.

I'm having trouble getting out all my thoughts in a cohesive manor but what I'm trying to get across is you will be cured. It will be hard to stay positive, but just focus on relieveing your symptoms. Heres my suggestion:

Take very cold baths (or showers but I found baths better) followed by:

-spraying affected areas with Holista tea tree oil, not because tea tree oil "kills scabies" but because the Holista spray has peppermint in it as well which is very soothing

-rubbing on Eucerin calming cream

This combination fave me relief from itching for 45mins-1hr outside of the bath.

Stay positive, and stay off of these forums!

6 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Ahh this made me want to cry if only I had read it sooner. I am finally getting rid of these horrible bugs. My husband said I was going crazy for months so the infestation got bad. By the time I got in the cream could not touch what was on our body. After many expensive refills I found mite-b-gone on Amazon and permetherin 10% on Amazon to help mixing with laundry and spraying furniture. Those have saved us a bunch. I finally had them get to my eye and could not stop crying and could not sleep. When I went to the hospital I was told I was in drugs immediately ! And then asked if I heard voices and that nothing can be seen. I had to leave to not get institiuionalized. I then went back and got ivermectin for me and now I am just starting to feel normal again. I still have to wash sheets and vaccum everyday. This is a real thing and can cause depression. Health professionals should and NEED ! To be more informed on this!!!
  • Posted

I forgot to say coconut oil is a life saver that sufficates them you can put in on your head and anywhere it's a start when you are waiting for creams.

• Posted

I am seriously losing it with these awful awful things! 

My household has been battling them for almost a year now, when we first discovered we had them my son was only 6 months old.. I feel bad for putting this cream on him over and over.. my skin is soo dried out from the treatments it hurts. 

My son is 16 months old now and we have done the cream treatment 10 times! I even went as far as applying the cream everyday for a week and a half to be sure it was gone.. 

We also bought a new bed , rolled up all area rugs ,bought new bedding, bought a brand new vaccum, vaccumed the beds, floors, & every inch of our home, soaked all toys and stored them away, also we have moved into a new place since we’ve been diagnosed with scabbies & still no change has happened, we still get bumps and itches. 

Im going to try and take your advice and just let it be for a while to see if it just disappears eventually.. 

but my son has new spots on a different area on his body. IS that still post scabies? Or does that mean he is re-infested? 

• Posted

Yes! Keep spraying your bed every day do not stop and do floors and showers and laundry and I and to say everything. My dermatologist gave me triamcinolone acetoneide cream mix with 1/2 oz permetherin 10%. Please don't let people tell you that you are crazy because you arnt. Keep everything bagged and away. Keep little clothing . Spray feet and hand hand hands daily with a spray you make with a permetherin killer 10% diluted 1/2 oz again for a bottle I use it for the house, on beds on anything. They live everywhere. I have found them on my tounge. So. We can go to say they are everywhere get the ivermectin if you can.

• Posted

I can go all night do your heads every other night with coconut oil and a bag and then wash out with shampoo then drag lice comb through that will get out of hair for girls.
  • Posted

I agree with you, Elle. When I got scabies, I thought it was just hives. Weeks later, I went to the doctor and he prescribed 5% permethrin, with one refill. I went home, and that evening, took a shower, washed my hair, and dried off. I put the cream on from the neck down, to the soles of my feet. I changed my bed linen, spraying the mattress and pillows with Lysol. Put the towels and bedding in the wash with bleach and hot water. Packed up pre-treatment clothing in plastic bag and put it away in a spare closet. I had been taking Zyrtec, and Zantac for the hives, and I continued to take them, twice a day. They helped immensely with post treatment itch. I also began a low histamine diet (Google it). It is pretty restrictive, can't eat processed meats, cheese, any fermented foods like yogurt or sauerkraut, or tofu. But if you stick to it, it cuts down on the itching also. I bought sulfur soap, sulfur shampoo, and sulfur scalp treatment, which I used post treatment too. A good moisturizer to use is Aveeno skin relief moisture cream, in the jar. It has oatmeal, Shea butter, and menthol. Very helpful and soothing. Vacuum and steam mop the floors. Just stay positive, and in several weeks, I felt much better. Still get a little hive here and there, but no sign of live mites so far

• Posted

SCABIES MISDIAGNOSIS

I had a number of spots of VERY itchy bumps on both arms and under my arm.  I hadn't traveled or been around kids but it looked like photos of scabies and I went to an urgent care clinic and the PA wasn't sure what it was.  I was worried about scabies and got the permethrin cream and did the treatment.  The next day, it had spread more and the itching was intense.  My sister told me she had been misdiagnosed with scabies years ago as a kid when she had ringworm.  She spread it all over her body with the scabies treatment.  So if your scabies is not going away with treatment or you don't have any exposure risk, keep RINGWORM in mind.  It sounds just as bad but it's just like athlete's foot and is treated for just a week with over the counter antifungal cream.   It usually presents as perfect little rings but NOT ALWAYS.  It can be a more diffuse itchy rash that looks like scabies.  Your pharmacist can help you if you're not sure what to use.  Lamisil or terbenifine cream.  

• Posted

I was wondering how your sister was able to tell the difference? I have been fighting this for almost 1.5 years every since I moved into my duplex that has hard wood flooring. started off with something punchering the bottom of my foot leaving a hole to my toe nails hurting and having fungus to not growing to holes and bumps that itch, bleed also same with my finger nails but. I have been told I have scabies, to excama to its My hair foticals to maybe I need to see a mental health Dr or I'm on drugs. I have researched and found that all my health issues are all related to some type of worm. I first keep telling people that it was from my stomach or something like that and a Dr online gave me perception of something that was 1500 once I took it I almost went crazy because worm like things were Coming out of my tongue and skin. it was freaking painful. then I felt fine for a month but now for over the last 10 months my skins has new marks every day that are cuts or scratches that are scab over the min I get them. what can I do. because I have told the Dr that I believe it's worms and no one will help

• Posted

I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago.  2 rounds of permethrin and 2 rounds of ivectin pills.  I am terrified.  It has gotten better but no one in my family wants to do the permethrin cream, and the doctors aren't mentioning treating any other family member.  I don't know how to get through to them.  sad  

I have had something weird happen.  I was following a protocol I found online mixing tumeric, neem oil, tea tree oil, etc.  While I was waiting for the ingredients to arrive, I decided to apply the neem oil by itself and sat covered in it for an hour.  One by one, these nits started coming out of my body.  I cannot find anywhere else online that anyone is reporting this has happened.  I have been doing this daily now for the 2 weeks and continue to keep getting more.  But the ones I got at first were large.  Now they are tiny.  

I don't know what I'm saying or asking.  But I'm grateful to have found this forum.  I am so deeply depressed and scared for the family.  My house is a disaster with two teenagers and to start a cleanup protocol would be a massive undertaking.

It is nice to meet all of you.  I pray we all get some relief.

• Posted

Have you been to the doctor? Scabies is microscopic, it is impossible that you would be able to see them.
    • Posted

when you say nits what do you mean or what do they look like?

• Posted

i don't even know where to start with mine. i experienced itching (more like tingling) in my P*nis for about 2 weeks after which bumps started appearing. at this point the itching got too intense and the bumps spread to my scrotum. i could count well over 30 bumps at the time on that region also i started having a rash that had smaller bumps around my armpit, between my fingers, behind my knees, between my toes, on my b*tt and a bit more bigger ones between my inner thigh. I guess it spread to this extent because i was self medicating my self bacterias and fungi before getting my self checked up and the doctor diagnosed me with scabies using the symptoms i had. when i started treatment with benzyl benzoate the itching reduced a bit and the bumps on my b*tt, in between my fingers and toes, back of my knee disapeared after 4 weeks of treatment but the ones in my inner thighs are kind of turning to scabs. i am also getting scabs on the parts in my p*nis where i used to have the bumps. i want to know if this is normal. mehn..... i just want to have my life back

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.