ZERO appetite on Sertraline dosage increase - will this pass?!

Posted , 17 users are following.

So I have been increased to 75mg from 50mg and I am on my 16th day and STILL have no appetite (there are a few times in the evening when I have been hungry so have tried to monopolize on that). It is difficult to get enough calories into me throughout the day. Has anyone else experienced this? And does it go away?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Do you force yourself to eat on the day, sometimes we need to eat more food to get an appetite so maybe try to eat more.
  • Posted

Also you could drunk some milk to get extra calories in xx
    • Posted

Thanks Kerry - I absolutely am forcing myself to eat (I'm trying to count my calories to get enough in the day but wow, it is hard!). The milk suggestion is a good one. I may get some Boost drinks as well to get my calorie intake up. Have you experienced this ever?

• Posted

Yeah, milk and bananas were my saviour, It's rubbish. I have put a pound in and it was the first time in my life that I have been happy to put weight on 😂

• Posted

I'm in the same boat at the minute. Was on 50mg for 2 1/2 weeks and now 100mg for 10 days. Appetite is really poor and I'm actually counting calories to try and encourage me to eat as much as I can. Still not getting full calorie count for the day though. Have actually gotten a few high calorie protein drinks to try and boost things but the nausea is awful at the minute. I've read on several posts that it will pass but I think it's different for everyone. Hope you're feeling better soon x

• Posted

Thanks Gabrielle! I'm sorry that you are having nausea - I don't have it, I just don't want to eat anything! I do think the next step is your suggestion of high calorie protein drinks (Boost with extra calories like by 92 year dad drinks! LOL). Do you find your appetite a bit better in the evening? Sometimes mine is so I try to eat then.

• Posted

Yes my appetite definitely picks up in the evening but I spend the whole day worrying that I'm not eating enough, that I'll get weak and faint...stupid, anxiety driven thoughts...but scary all the same! I'm having a homemade ham and cheese toastie now lol! 

• Posted

Hi,

I’m on my 7th week on sertraline and had little appetite since starting. My anxiety is terrible from the moment I wake until 3-4pm. I can’t eat until then. I eat a meal at tea time and try to snack on fruit/ nuts. I have lost a lot of weight, I’m pleased I have lost some but I can’t afford to lose anymore.  ( my GP is monitoring my weight ) I wish I could suggest something to help you but I’ve tried forcing myself to eat but that makes me feel very nauseous. I hope it sorts itself out for you very soon 

• Posted

I'm feeling the same as you did. do you remember if you began feeling better as the weeks went on?

• Posted

Hey Cindy001. I am on sertraline since middle of June. That is more than 2 months now. Lost around 11 pounds. It is fine for now but I don't want to lose more. I can not eat until the dinner time. I do not feel hunger and I still have tons of nausea. I can not force myself to eat. I tried drinking chocolate milk during the day to keep my energy level. Not sure what to do now.

• Posted

Protein shakes are always good. That way you are getting protein in and that is important.
  • Posted

Hi, when I was on sertraline I had the same thing I would force myself to eat even though I wasn’t hungry. But don’t worry this will pass as it does take time also remember every time you increase dosage you tend to get these side effects again. Hope you get better god bless
    • Posted

Thanks Sean - Thank you for your reassuring words - I know it's true about the side effects with every increase, but it is difficult to accept when you are already feeling anxious. I appreciate your response!

• Posted

I know how Exactly how you feel when I was on sertraline I thought it would never end. I was on 75mg and with evey increase it sucked!! I was taken off of sertraline about 2 months ago as I felt really good then out of no where I got a that funny feeling in my chest and stomach and I decided to go to the doctors and my doctor told me it could be a little anxiety so I told him I don’t wanna go back on sertraline as the side effects is horrible  so he said try lexapro and so far it’s been 2 days of no harsh side effects. Maybe try asking your doctor to maybe switch? Hang in there!!!Hope things get better for you god bless 
  • Posted

Hello again Joanne. I started on sertraline 50mg in October and I lost a stone. I was delighted as i’d Wanted to lose it as a result of taking steroids. However, i’ve Upped my dose to 75mg and I am hungry again. Going onto 100mg next week so I hope I am not going to put it all back on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.