Zig Zag pattern

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi Ladies, how are we all? I've been up n down, on n off today & yes, those awful low blood sugar sensations. Later in the day my left eye went really strange with shimmery zig zag patterns...I could see but with only a slight difference from the left eye...looking straight ahead I could see the pattern sort to the left, if that makes sense, it scared the bejeezes out of me!! 😰 because of that I got scared, anxious feeling really horrible, sickly & in tears....never had that before even when I used to get lots of migraines many years ago, lasted about 20mins. I feel so stupid sometimes, I've turned into such a blubbering scaredy-cat, anything not right just scares me silly. Has anyone had this? is it meno/hormones? 

Keep Well lovelies

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, nuttynan, it has name but can't recall at the moment. It's part of menopause phase. Look at other blogs, it's mentioned there.
    • Posted

Hi how are you? Thanks for your reply, will have a read of other posts about these auras, see others experiences...they're really frightening considering I've never had anything like it, thought I'd lose my sight 😓

Take Care

• Posted

Morning lovely NuttyNan, I'm right there with you on this and it's strange as I had a similar sensation last night. I was just flopped on the sofa in a heap as I usually am in the evenings after a busy day trying to escape my anxieties as usual when my left eye felt odd, kind of shadowy and grey in the corner if you know what I mean - I thought my glasses were dirty so cleaned them but it was the same, panic panic ran upstairs to the mirror to examine myself AGAIN heart thumping and shaking looking all around in different areas to see if it was the same, it was - led on the bed and closed my eyes and tried to relax, gradually it went away. I put it down to anxiety with this wretched menopause along with everything else, the clicky wrists and fingers, dodgy painful knees and neck, nausea and sleeplessness and the list goes on and on! Are you feeling better this morning ? Hope so xx
    • Posted

Hi Lou, how are you? had a chuckle reading your reply...sorry, not laughing at you but what you did, I did the same... look around the house...but still the same, clean my glasses...no difference, look in the mirror to see if my eye was different but no...felt sick n weird, thumping heart OMG! thought I'm going to lose my sight, will I have a stroke, my thoughts ran rampant! LoL sorry, I know it's not funny. Do hope you're ok, I'll take it easy tonight, maybe an early night.

Take Care xo

• Posted

OMG we are the same ! Thought it was just me. Horrible isn't it, I'm fine led there on the sofa nodding off as usual then BAM something else happens to jolt me out of my temporary security ! It's like someone's saying ' what are you doing resting you're in menopause how dare you, let me give you something else to stress big time about ' !!  .....that's how it is every day, poor us - when oh when will we get some peace ! Good thing is we are not alone, we have each other. I used to get terrible migraines , still do but not as bad, maybe it was a little reminder for me not to relax ! Uuuugghh,.....please have a good day, thinking of you with hugs, Lou xx(())
  • Posted

Hi NuttyNan,

It's called aura, I used to get it when I was younger followed by a nasty migraine.

Since I first became peri I've had it quite a few times and thought I'm going to get a headache soon but nothing else happened.

Although I've had a lot more general headaches since peri I've not had very many that have made me lay very still in a dark place like they did when I was younger.

So probably the same thing last time I had it bad it went on for hours and I had to visit my mum in hospital. Driving like it was awful.

When I was younger and had it it would start very far to left or right, sometimes go away and come back and end up right in my line of vision before it disappeared.

The ones I have had with meno have remained at the outer edge of my eyesight.

• Posted

Hi Zig, hope you're well. That was an out of the blue scary thing! even when I had bad migraines in the past I never got that, I usually got a stuffy nose & watery eye always on the side of the migraine. Hope it doesn't recur, left me feeling off & not right. Quiet night for me tonight, will have a read about these auras. 

Keep Well

• Posted

Good morning NuttyNan,

Hope you are better this morning. It's 2:34am here and I am wide awake. Anywhoo, I don't have auras but I have heard of it being a part of meno. I have noticed that my vision would get fuzzy all of a sudden for no reason. Don't know of I need glasses or what but this doesn't happen all the time. It's been a month or so since this happened. It scared me and of course that led to me being nervous. Then again at this point everything makes me nervous.

• Posted

Hi Jamie, Hope you're able to get some sleep, very tiring when you don't sleep well. Have you tried any supplements etc to help give you better sleep? It's 6:55pm here, I'm curled up on the sofa relaxing getting over my scary afternoon....I'm such woosy puss LoL 😞 Here's to a better tomorrow. Take Care
    • Posted

I haven't tried anything. My eyes are burning. I'm sleepy and my eyes are dry. This is all just crazy. I'm going to try and get a little sleep. Take it easy this evening.
  • Posted

Dear NuttyNan

Not too long ago a lady posted she had this. I replied to her that in peri i suddendly started getting these and they are migraine auras. I believe the fluctuating hormones are to blame. I didnt get a full blown migraine with them but an over eye pain occasionally. I did get checked out at opticians but apart from me needing reading glasses nothing was wrong. I have never suffered from migraines or auras, so it was new to me. I have since had ovaries out due to family history and they stopped! I was getting about four a month. It starts with a blind spot in the eye and then the zig zags start. They normally last ten or so minutes. When they first started i did feel a little nauseous with them x

• Posted

I forgot to say the light from my mobile sometimes set them off, plus caffeine abd alcohol, otger times they just happened! Along with these i found an intolerance to bright lights plus watery abd dry eyes!! X
    • Posted

I think mines maybe coming from stating at the tv and mobile all day trying to keep my mind off these whack symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi nuttynan OMG - I actually get this too! Starts as a blind spot in one eye the closley followed by s sparkly zig xag line that slowly moves across my line of vision. Sometimes it makes me feel queasy but i think thats cos I use to panic when it happened. Always get a headache after or feel really wiped out.

Doc says its hormone/migrane based and not to worry. Just be kind to yourself and rest and relax.

So glad im not alone in this odd occurance and thanks again for all you ladies on this wonderful forum!!!

Hope u r feeling ok now Nuttynan? Big hugs xxxx

• Posted

How are you? Thanks for you reply. I'm feeling a little better, just 'off' I think like you...wiped out & yes I felt sickly panicky & horrible when it was happening. Always seems to be something, this on top of the swimmy, woozy heads & unbalanced feelings I have 😫 oh to see & come to the end of all this! 

Stay well xo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.