Zig Zag pattern

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi Ladies, how are we all? I've been up n down, on n off today & yes, those awful low blood sugar sensations. Later in the day my left eye went really strange with shimmery zig zag patterns...I could see but with only a slight difference from the left eye...looking straight ahead I could see the pattern sort to the left, if that makes sense, it scared the bejeezes out of me!! 😰 because of that I got scared, anxious feeling really horrible, sickly & in tears....never had that before even when I used to get lots of migraines many years ago, lasted about 20mins. I feel so stupid sometimes, I've turned into such a blubbering scaredy-cat, anything not right just scares me silly. Has anyone had this? is it meno/hormones? 

Keep Well lovelies

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have these and have had them for years.  They are called Scintillating Scotoma, in case you'd like to Google more information.   Sometimes I don't get them for months on end, and then there will be times where they happen once a day for a week.  I have not figured out what my trigger is -- probably stress!
  • Posted

Hi NuttyNan,  this happened to me last month. Looked like my left eye got smaller and right eye had gotten bigger, horrible vision change and kept testing right eye then left eye by closing one then the other to see if I could still see, went on like this for hours.  Yes, that horrible blurred edge especially in right eye (the one that looked mad and wide open).  Going to sleep was a nightmare, kept opening eyes over and over to see if I could see the lights outside the window,  put me in an awful state of panic and hoping for daylight.   This is awful, thought it was just me, and so glad others have experienced it, although I wish none of us were.  thanks for this post and this forum. x
  • Posted

Hi nutty nan

Zig zag pattern across the eyes is normally related to the first signs of a miraine starting up, ive had migraines for years, but i never use to get auras, which, some people dont same with you, however, when i became peri, my migraines changed, and now i get other neurological symptoms, but without the pain, just have to recognise it as part of menopause, for a min there i thought i was having a stroke...........ha but because they came on 3 times in one week, dr said it was sign of cluster migraines, and sometimes when you dont get pain, its deferred to somewhere else, so you get other symptoms, it can change at any time, but menopause is when it can start happening differently, but i was given a head scan just to be sure it was nothing more serious, i also lost my sight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.