Zoloft side effects please help me feel better

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone my name is Matt I'm 39 and I'm not sure where to start

Long story short I was prescribed Zoloft and clonapin around 18ish for panic attacks. 

I've been on them for 20 years and about 5 months ago weened off with dr help.   I was thinking of just trying to become medication free for once in my life.  

I tried for the past 5 months went through every withdrawal symptom imaginable untill about 2 weeks ago I became severely depressed etc...

So 2 days ago I made a life choice to get back on the Zoloft and realized it's OK to take medication if you really need them.  It can't be worse then the past few months.  

So onto my question ....

I started 25mg on Wednesday

I realize the heightened anxiety is normal both from the pill and just the worry about taking a new pill again.  

BUT I am having a side effect that is scaring the crap out of me and causing me panic.  

I have been getting the feeling Like my skin is on FIRE from the inside out

It last for a little and goes away.  

Now I'm sure it's something to due with the meds and that's fine I have heard its pretty bad starting Zoloft and I can't remember 20 years ago

My concern is I can't find many posts about this side effect because as we all know in the panic world if we read other people have had it before we ourselves feel better 

So can anyone tell me if they had this and if they were ok.  Dr is closed till Monday so I have no one to ask

I also notice that my heart is very fast and hard around the same time as this but again I totally think that's ok and just the anxiety

Please help I'm going nuts...

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ps I did call on call dr and said it sounded normal BUT I trust this forum more then the dr sometimes because you all have lived it
  • Posted

I also got this but just in my arms when I increased my dosage a couple of weeks ago.

Hang in there x

• Posted

Thanks any encouragement helps

I have been on this board reading for about 4 months as a guest.  

I just couldn't take the withdrawels anymore and had to get on it again

• Posted

My tongue is tingly too lol
  • Posted

For the most part the burning has gone away but now I find myself sometimes feeling the depression in the pit of my stomach again.  I hope this medication kicks in soon it's day 6 and I know it will work it did before but this feeling is horrible. 

• Posted

Had a small attack today, kind of still scared.

I was at work, and was getting chest tightness, now I know im ok, ive had all the tests.

So i was trying to brush it off, and then i was starting to have trouble remembering a few things... just for a few minutes, which freaked me out... Now my head is just really heavy, probably just remnants of the attack... 

I am sure im ok, just seeing if this has happened to anyone else.. Not sure if I should have started a new discussion, im sorry...

• Posted

I too am in the same boat!  I have been on Zoloft for 10 years and then decided to go down on the dosage because I was tired of the sun sensitivity I was dealing with and I felt like I was doing much better.  I went from 150mg to 100mg and did great for about 3 mos,  and then had a few panic attacks out of no where that I just couldn't handle.  I immediately went to my doctor and he raised my dosage back up to 150mg and also gave me a prescription for Xanax.  I don't like to take the Xanax because I am worried about becoming addicted to it,  but I have been having to take it at night because there is just no other way for me to fall asleep as I get really bad sleep panic.  I haven't had the burning as a side effect this time around,  but during one of my bad anxiety times in my life,  I would constantly feel like someone had poured gasoline on my back and lit a match.  It was totally from the anxiety,  because as soon as the Zoloft kicked in (this was 10 years ago when I first started taking it) the burning went away.  Now that I am increasing my dosage,  I am having a hard time remembering what is a side effect and what isn't.  I am constantly worrying that the Zoloft isn't going to work this time and I will be stuck like this forever.  Right now I have super increased anxiety (like even sitting in a chair for my than a couple minutes is difficult),  panic attacks,  insomnia, sleep panic, crying spells, night sweats, crazy dreams, waking up full of doom.  I am only a week in to the new dosage,  so I know it will eventually get better,  but when you are in the middle of it,  it is hard to see past all the haze.  I hope I didn't rant to much and that you at least find comfort in knowing someone else is in the same boat as you.  Hoping things are going better for you and that the side effects are starting to disapate. 

• Posted

The physical isn't bothering me so much right now but the MENTAL is killing me. 

Like for example last night I started having some memory loss again I kept trying to think of things over and over and the more i did the tighter my brain felt and I couldn't concentrate.  Which in turn carried over into today and gonna be honest kinda freaks me out.   I feel like I'll be reading something and I have to reread a couple of times to actually understand what it's saying.  I've Never had to do that before.  I'm hoping Someone here can actually relate to that.  

• Posted

I totally have the same thing.  I call that the Zoloft fog.  I remember being worried about that the first time I started taking Zoloft, but then things got a little better.  Have you noticed if it is a little worse after you take your meds?
    • Posted

The mental part is actually the reason why I went back in the Zoloft .. I was off for about 5 months and a few weeks ago I ended up in the ER not able to remember things and into a full blown panic Attack.  That was the day I decided i was on them for 20 years and I'm gonna go back on them.   So now I get that feeling and it scares the crap out of me almost worse then the actual panic attacks.   I hope it was just part of being of the meds and now coming back on it will go away... any ideas?  How do you deal with it if it's even the same thing?

• Posted

Everyone reacts differently to different medications.  If the Zoloft helped with your forgetfulness last time,  I am sure it will work again (at least that's what I keep telling myself!) Try and hang in there until things even out.  I know forgetfulness affected me in the beginning the first time around and has also this time as well,  but I know that it gets better and you no longer feel like you keep having to read the same thing over and over again. Hope this helps!

• Posted

Hey Matt,

Just wanted to check and see how you are doing?  Are things starting to clear up yet?

• Posted

Hi Ash... How are you holding up?

I just started  75mg from 50 on Friday, no difference yet, but I dont expect much at only 3 weeks in, so still trying to stay positive...

• Posted

Thanks for asking, Matt.  This morning started out lousy as usual.  Sleep was near impossible,  but the day has gotten a little better.  Hoping it's not just some fluke,  but we know how it can be.  One step forward and two steps back.  I really hope that increasing your dose will help you.  What was the highest dose you were on previously?  Are you feeling any new symptoms with the increase?  My doctor told me that when you increase dosage it can sometimes take a little longer before you see the benefits.  Zoloft worked for us before,  it will work again, right?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.