Zolpidem - has it caused anxiety/agitation for anyone?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello. I suffer from severe depression and anxiety and have been taking Zolpidem for many months now. Initially and for quite a while it worked great but I remember wondering if I felt a bit more anxious in the morning/day after. Now months later I do think it has intensified my depression/anxiety but it is so difficut to stop. I am taking more than 5mg nightly recently as I often top up to stop the panicky feelings and try to get to sleep (not more than 10mg though). Of course all i am doing is getting more immune to it. It creeps up on you.

Has anyone else had increased anxiety/agitation/depression whilst taking Zolpdem.I really must cut down but am wo worried about getting no sleep at all.

C

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Carolne.  I not sure if zolpidem is the same as zoplicone but zoplicone is what i take.  I was up to 7 (7.5) a night but now am down to half a one and doing quite well.  I used to panick but made up my mind that when i go to bed i just relax and blank my mind and actually doze quite a bit.  Must have enough sleep cause next day i feel rested.  Never really had any depression or anxiety.  Maybe i am a lucky one because so far no real bad withdrawal etc and i have been on these nasty pills for many years.  Just made up my mind and eventually hope to get off completely.  Between myself and my doctor weaned me down slowly.  I get my prescription for two months but can only pick up from pharmacy every two weeks.  That helps me cause cannot cheat that way cause if i do then will not have enough to get me through.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Brenda.

well done for cutting down from such a large dosage.

last night I thought I would try and do without a zopiclone as I'm fed with waking up early and I was really really tired. I decided to take two melatonin tablets instead, I felt very relaxed but couldn't get of to sleep, looked st the clock and it was nearly 4am, so thought enough, and resorted to taking a zop. Even then, I woke up a couple of hours later.

how on earth do you manage to relax your mind cos mine just keeps churning over.  No amount of relaxing techniques will stop it.

if I could switch of my brain, problem solved.

• Posted

Try a benzodiazepines like Dalmane..... diazepam are just too addictive. I used to be ant-drug. They will help I promise. Please don't abuevand get addicted. Months of Diaxepam have evil  with drawls

• Posted

As a nightly user of 30 mg of dalmane for 20 years, I can say that you shouldn't take it. It does have a super long half life of 100+ hours, but it gets into your brain and you can't ever stop it. I tried cold turkey last year and almost went "crazy". I am 71 years old and while I've cut the dose down to 10 mg, plus a

a zolpidem er, nightly, I still need to take it. Instead, try an antidepressant with sedative effects. Ask your GP. 

• Posted

Well done! Keep at it.

Zopiclone and Zolpidem are very slightly different but basically work in the same way. I always preferred zolpidem because it doesn't have that lingering aftertaste which is so marked with zopiclone.

Anyway, after years of serious addiction I am now in treatment. I hope you continue to stay positive.

• Posted

Hi Caroline. I hope the following information helps. Zolpidem is actually meant for short-term treatment, but in certain cases of chronic insomnia it can be prescribed for longer .  Do you take the regularly every night?  If not you will suffer a rebound effect , this is where  therapeutic drugs stops working and symptoms come back usually  more pronounced.  I suffered terrible sleep problems so I know what you're going through. Everybody is different and certain  drugs can work in people differently from others.   A simple solution would be to put you up to 10 mg a night but  your doctor would not wish you to do this  simply because of people abusing drugs whichAt the end of the day, just like I was told when I was seriously injured, addiction comes second to quality of life. However doctors must give you medication that is not addictive to start with as a first line defense.  This can't be disheartening because it takes a while to find the right medication but I am sure he has your best interests at heart.  Having an addictive personality will make the doctor take this into consideration and it would be up to you to tell him that you are not the type to be addicted but that you really need your sleep.  It seems zolpidem is no longer working on you properly and a rotation of medication may be in order. Have you tried Zoplclone .... I am unsure if it is available in the United States  I am assuming from your narrative that you suffer from anxiety as well as sleep problems and perhaps there is an underlying cause, however I am a psychologist so I will not attempt to enter the  subject, but perhaps it is something you may be able to deal with.  The problem with sleeping tablets that are strong enough to help with anxiety and sleep problems have a stigma attached to them simply because of people abusing them rather than using them and people who. really need them suffer. people that really need them like myself instance.  You must keep speaking to your doctor and telling him your problems, sometimes they have to resort to our last line of defence which is benzodiazepines but I would suspect that you would only need a very small dose and of course you would be careful with them ......i  now use Dalmane and rotate with Zopiclone but I tried Zolpidem and it suited me better. I am to ask for some today as I am suddenly feeling serious anxiety. 

I do believe rotating medication as I have some medical experience and believe more doctors should do this as a matter of course.from what you state I believe you need a sleeping tablet and also a light sedative for daytime as contrary to medical opinion sleeping tablets certainly do not continue working the next day after your tolerant which I gather you are. I make a suggestion but you may choose it's not for you. Use a sleeping tablet at night, try a smaller dose. Such as 5 mg Zolpidem or 3.75 Zopiclone, or if you lucky Dalmane 15mg. Then ask for a light sedative for anxiety for day use. This will remove the highs and lows. A word of advice.... you shouldn't tell your doctor that your double dose  saying taking 10 mg rather than 5 mg, this would be one reason for him not to prescribe you anything else, doctors like to know that you are taking the medication as directed by them but expect you to try for a period then go back and explain they are not sufficient. Your main argument is that your problems are impacting your life to the point of suffering. It does not matter any stigma attached to medication, you have a right to persue a normal life and explaining this helps. Good luck.... M 

• Posted

Hello, I've been using zolpidem 5 mg for 5 nights. I don't normally have much anxiety during the day, though I have some at night, which is why I need sleep meds. However, the day after using this drug for sleep I have anxiety issues and general discontentment and agitation throughout the day. I also am having nightmares since starting zolpidem. I'm done with this experiment. Another sleep aid that doesn't work for me. Bummer.

• Posted

Hi there,

I've been on these for 2 weeks now and I feel the same as you. As soon as I get up in the mornings the Anxiety and restlessness kick in and last most of the day. It's almost unbearable so I'm going to my Dr. tomorrow and discussing this with her as I can't handle these side affects. I feel your discomfort...

• Posted

Hi, Im new on here and found it by googling zopiclone. I recently quit drinking (17 days now) and was prescribed zopiclone because my sleep was nil. I've been on it for 2 weeks now at 7.5mg and although it helps me fall asleep, I've sunk into a depressive state. I wake up and feel extremely anxious, irritable and restless. It seems like it's getting worse and I barely make it though the day without loosing my mind. I find it subsides by the evening and I calm down. Because it's only getting worse, I feel likes its this zopiclone. I keep taking it as directed , and as soon as I take it I feel my body relax but it only lasts for 7 or 8 hrs, while Im sleeping. After reading up on this, it makes sense. I made a Dr. appt for tomorrow to discuss this as I don't want to be on this medication anymore. It's making me feel like I'm loosing my mind.

• Posted

Good call mike. I quit drinking 12 yrs ago and had trouble sleeping so I used diphenhydramine- over the counter sleep aid with 10mg of melatonin. It worked for years but I developed a tolerance to it so now I'm shopping for a new sleep aid. Avoiding all screens for a couple hours before bed helps too, but isnt enough by itself for me. Good luck and congratulations! Don't pick up that bottle again. Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I went to see the Dr. yesterday and told her about my experience with zopiclone. She understood completely, I guess for some people it works well and for others not so well. For someone like me with a addictive personality, I was having thought's of taking this crap during the day just to make the anxiety go away, but after reading up on it on here I knew I had to get off of it immediately. Anyhow, after a good honest discussion with my Dr., she prescribed me mirtazipine to help with my depression, anxiety and insomnia. I took it last night and it didn't zonk me out but I did manage to get a good 5 hrs sleep. Only down side is I still feel a drowsy this morning. I'm hoping that now that I'm sober, meds I'm prescribed will actually start working. I'm sick of bouncing from one med to another because I'm drinking and they don't have the chance to work. If a person drinks and takes meds, the meds aren't going to work properly.

• Posted

Hi mike.

i was prescribed Mirtazipine after my gap stopped my zopiclone.

unfortunately, they didn't work for me. Couldn't get to sleep.

i think the reason you feel tired next day is because you only got five hours sleep.

the only thing that works for me is zopiclone.

have also tried Amytryptilene, they didn't work either.

• Posted

Hi Vivien58797,

I agree in a way with your idea that it's a lack of sleep that makes us feel anxiety because I experience it regularly.  However, after taking Zolpidem (generic ambien) it was a different anxiety.  Intense, relentless, much stronger than just that lack of sleep.  Overpowering anxiety that ruins your entire day.  Panicky and desperate to relieve it.  The difference between the lack of sleep anxiety and the Zolpidem next day anxiety for me was like comparing a mouse to an elephant.  I'm starting to think that there arent any drugs out there that will help me sleep without causing other horrible problems.  Insomnia is a scary.

• Posted

Have you tried Amytryptilene.

they are supposed to treat depression, pain anxiety and insomnia.

they may work for you. You never know.

ask your gp about them if you get a chance.

i do believe a lot of our problems are due to lack of sleep.

i feel a lot better if I manage to get more than five hours. (A rare occurrence).

• Posted

Hi Vivien

Its the 1st night I've taken the Mirtazipine. It worked well but I guess I need to take it earlier and get to bed earlier. I tried amytrp, that made my anxiety worse. I'm glad zopiclone is working for you. Like I said, It worked well for me the 1st few weeks, then after that it all went downhill. I'm still going through withdrawl from it. Some people can tolerate it and others cant. I seem to build up a tolerance fairly quickly to most meds I take, so lets pray that the mirtazipine continues to works.

• Posted

Try OTC doxcillamine succinat. Read the labels as very few use this antihistamine.
    • Posted

Amytryptilene. 25 mg per night for a week, then 50 mg for the next week, then 75 mg. That worked for me for years. I never had to exceed 75 mg. You can taper off it the same way in reverse. It has a very notable sedating effect for sleep.
    • Posted

There is a discussion topic in the side bar of this forum titled Amitriptyline. Much info there if you'd

like to know about it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.