Zopiclone 7.5 not working. Any alternatives?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with severe depression following a serious suicide attempt three weeks ago.

Since then I have been sleeping maybe one to two hours a night. The crisis team suggested I try zopiclone which my GP prescribed for me three nights ago. I've never taken any form of sleeping pill before.

The first night I took it as advised at 9.30pm. I went to bed and was still wide awake at 1am. Finally drifted off at around 1.30 but was awake again by 3am.

The second night I took it a little earlier at 9pm and had a shot of brandy as I'd heard that alcohol increases its effect. Slept from 1 until 2.30.

Last night I took it at 8.30 and had several brandy's but still only slept from 1 until 3.

Anyone have any ideas why it's not working? Or suggestions of something else I can ask for? I'm in the UK.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Try mitrazapine its good for sleep
    • Posted

No don't try Mirtazapine as it can cause problems such as weight gain and it is a hard drug to come off. I also had liver issues after I took them. Best thing I did was come off them and the other sleeping pill that I took.

• Posted

Hi Tootsie, everybody has different experiences with Mirt in fact most AD's not everybody experiences weight gain or finds it difficult to come off them.

• Posted

Hi Lucy. 

you are taking it much too early in the evening.

take one about an hour before bedtime. They have a very short life. i.e. They only work for around five hours.  So the later you take it, the better.

if I took one at 9pm, it would have worn of before approx 3am. That's what I fine generally.

Give it about an hour to work and do your calculations.

• Posted

Hi Lucy, I find over the counter sleep aids work for me, have to take about 3 for it to work, but don't take every night only when I'm struggling.

• Posted

Over the counter doxylamine succinate works really well, but has a very long half life. If something like that doesn't work, I'd be inclined to suggest somethibg like Nitrazepam which also has a fairly long half life (but is a potent sedative). Another thing that I could suggest and your milage may vary, but, melatonin. As recommended by someone else, mirtazapine will give you a good sleep. But if you're like me, you'll feel as though you are starving the next day.... insomnia is a off lable treatment, it does treat major depressive disorder and is designed to get you eating.

• Posted

What is doxylamine succinate. 

Nitrazepam is prescription only .

• Posted

Words fail me as to some of the replies that I am reading. NItrazepam is a benzodiazepine and they are hell to come off.

In time all sleeping aids will stop working and you will end up needing more.

There are reasons why people don't sleep and it is that reason one should deal with that as I had to.

I no longer take any sleeping aid and just have to cope with what little sleep that I do get and it sure is not easy.

And yes lack of sleep does have a impact on my life but I will not take any sleeping aids again that is for sure.

• Posted

If you take these things sensibly, risks of dependancy really aren't that high. Yes, Nitrazepam can be it forming, really though, if taken sporadically it's not an issue.... it's certainly better than the Z drugs... which are just as it forming.

Meletonin isn't habit forming, but, might be expensive. Doxy is a lot cheaper and reasonably effective. You can try avoiding blue light for an hour or so before bedtime, other options are to limit caffeine use (it has a 5 hour half life) don't drink any after say 5 or 6 pm. Try forcing yourself to go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time (which can take some time). They are some practices for "good sleep hygiene" and for the right people sleep hygiene practices can be very effective.

As for Doxylamine Succinate, it's one of the first generation anti histamines... most people find them to be quite sedative. It's something I was living on when i needed to have my three wisdom teeth removed. Another option (yes another benzo) would be temazepam, it has the benefit of being biologically active without needing to be metabolised. Which can be beneficial if you have problems metabolising certain medications into their active forms.

Also, I need to say that mixing alchohol with these isn't a good idea, especially if you aren't aware of what your tolerances are.

• Posted

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions.

Unfortunately Tootsie I am in extreme crisis at the moment and lack f sleep is exacerbating my mood so it is vital to my mental health at the moment that I get some. But I do appreciate where you're coming from.

My GP gave me Trazadone 100mg yesterday which is an antidepressant used off license for insomnia. I was in such a state last night and so desperate for sleep that I took the Trazadone AND the Zopiclone. Probably not the best thing to do but it worked. I was asleep within 20 minutes and slept for nearly 10 hours. Tonight I will just take the Trazadone. I feel so much better today and have a little bit of my fight back which I'm sure is due to having some sleep.

Thanks guys x

• Posted

I know what lack of sleep is doing to my mental health and I also know what my drugs did to me personally.

I wish you all the best .

• Posted

I took zoplicone and trazadone together for years. My doctor thought it was OK. ...
  • Posted

I Have the same issue. I'm prescribed zopiclone 7.5 mg and when I first started taking these meds years ago. They worked amazing. I was recently prescribed them again and they are not working at all for me. I don't have a tolerance for zopiclone. It's been months since I was on it . They just done seem to work anymore which really sucks. Does anyone have any advice on what i can do or any alternative to this med. Thanksbin advance

• Posted

I am not exactly replying but have a question.  Not sure if I can ask this on here or not.  Has anyone ordered online and been caught by border for them coming across.  I have never ordered online but know so many do but am petrified of being caught.  Thanks.

• Posted

Hey Luzy, it might take time to work I have been Prescribed Zopiclone 3.75MG and its have a Woosy red effect my friend Takes similuar things I would try and maybe give it another go to see if it works

I was on Mirtizipine Etc Sertaline

Maybe give it another ship to see if it works maybe take it around 9 or 11.00

Alexander

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.