Zopiclone dose...

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone

I'm really hoping someone may be able to give me some advice please...

I'm currently taking Zopiclone (7.5mg) and am now on my third consecutive prescription of it having had an initial 7 days (which didn't work), a further 7 days (which worked some of the time) and now have 14 days, which my doctor has told me to "take as and when needed".

The problem is, most of the time they just don't make me sleep. I become drowsy, fall asleep but then ALWAYS wake up at least once or twice during the night, regardless. I end up waking up feeling groggy and fuzzy headed.

Years ago I was prescribed Temazepam followed by amitriptyline, both for insomnia, but neither of those worked either. I think I'm running out of options.

I hadn't realised until very recently that 7.5mg was the higher dose of the tablets (as opposed to 3.75mg), but is it ok to take one and a half or two at night (occasionally) when I'm in desperate need for some proper sleep?

I'm already on Sertraline (100mg) and Propranolol (10mg x 6 per day) so I'm conscious of not being irresponsible with them... But I REALLY need to sleep!!!

Thanks for reading x

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

You say " but then ALWAYS wake up at least once or twice during the night", what exactly are you expecting?.

I have taken Zopiclone for years at 15mg per night (when I was prescribed it, that was the dose), and I find they still make me sleep well. But, they are not "knock out drops", and it is unlikely you will be prescibed anything that comes close, Micheal Jackson is an example of someone who took things too far in his search for sleep (or more accurately unconciousness).

For example, I took 15mg of Zopiclone, 10mg of Valium and, 50mg of Amitrityline (ami is supposedly for pain control) the night before last, and even with that lot, I still woke up a couple of times!.

Hope you find something more suitable for you

Paddy

• Posted

I've often wondered if Jackson might not still be alive if his doctor had felt able to go straight for the drip anaesthetic rather than trying to "play around" with "lesser" drugs first.
    • Posted

I suppose if he had given the anaesthetic properly (with all the monitoring devices etc.), but it seems the Propanol(?)  was ON TOP of 1/2 a ton of Benzodiazepines.

Anyway he`s found out what NOT to give pop stars to get them to sleep!

• Posted

paddy:  in my case, tolerance increased very very slowly. when i'd been on zolpidem for 17 years, i was still taking the original prescribed dose, waking at most once in the night, sometimes falling asleep without taking any at all. The following year, some life circumstances led me to increase the amount i was taking which in turn led to more tolerance which in turn led to needing more medication, with the amount of sleep i got from it decreasing,  in a gradual process. Tolerance meant waking up during the night after less time and being less able to get back to sleep, needing more medication. Up until that 18th year, like you, i was stable on the dose i was on. The only reason i increased it was because i moved further away from work, and when i was driving home at night in a stop and go gridlock traffic situation, i foud that if i got 5 hours of sleep the night before, which i had been quite satisfied with, i would fall asleep while i was driving, not fall asleep but briefly nod off, repeatedly.  I found that when i would get 6 hours of sleep, i would not nod off. In desperation to adapt to my new commute, i began taking the second dose of medication during the night when i would wake up after 5 hours of sleep, so that i would get anothr hour or so, rather than just putting up with less sleep as i had been doing. After that, tolerance increased, still gradually but steadily.  
    • Posted

Hi Paddy

I suppose I was naively expecting to have a proper sleep, like I used to in the past, but I'm starting to realise that that's not exactly realistic. It's just that sometimes, all I want is to fall asleep and STAY asleep until my alarm wakes me up for work. Because once I wake up, I'm then awake for hours trying to get back to sleep again, pills or no pills.

I agree with what you say about Michael Jackson and his huge dependency on drugs for sleep... That was a tragic case (in my opinion) and a warning about the dangers of benzos - Whitney Houston was another example of that. 

What I don't understand on here is that a lot of you say you've been on zopiclone for years, but if GPs are only supposed to prescribe them on a short-term basis, how has this happened?

• Posted

Firstly, because the initial prescription was made by a Psychiatrist, plus, I imagine that stopping Zopiclone would lead to more problems in my case than not, (I have BPD, and lack of sleep has lead me to do some pretty self destructive things in the past, self harm etc.). Also, there is no real alternative that they could switch me to, and finally, I find that they still work, and basically I`m just stubborn.
    • Posted

Hi Bellazeb. There are clear guidelines on prescribing Zopiclone and the length of time a GP can do so. However I have never once known a GP abide by these guides.  In my own case I was on Zopiclone for nearly 25 years and have lost most of my life for that time. THAT is why I have so little faith in doctors.

Lately there has been quite a fuss about the way these drugs are handed out and it is only recently that doctors have started looking at the problem.

I recently made enquiries about taking legal action against the NHS as to me this is outright negligence - as Michael Jacksons doctor found out - but was told my chances of success in such an action would not be good. I haven't however given up on that path yet.

Dave - FIFTY NINE DAYS ZOPICLONE FREE!

• Posted

Ok, I understand. Sorry if I came across as insensitive by asking. I just hear such conflicting reports on these things that it's often impossible to understand what's what...

The main thing is that they work for you. 

• Posted

Hi Dave, I can see why you feel strongly about it then. In my experience, a good GP is something of a rarity these days (having had one in the past who literally threw meds at me over the phone without even asking to see me, causing some detrimental problems..). But I do think my current GP is good. She's responsible and I trust her.

Are you doing well off the zopiclone?

• Posted

i know that there is irresponsible prescribing, not only of sleep medication but other kidns of pharmaceuticals too, certianly of benzodiazapines. At the same time, i have been grateful for the doctors who have worked with me over the years, allowing me to be a part of collaboration about what i needed at given times and circumstances in my life.  I was not in a position to go offf them cold turkey in the past 3 years or so, my doctors knew the nature of my job, the demands, and i appreciate that they were supportive in not just cutting off the supply or making it harder to get. What i woud've done, if forced to, would be to find another doctor who would prescribe what i needed, nad barring that, or to obtain more than what i've been prescribved, i, like many other people, have found that i can get these same meds from an overseas pharmacy that is not regulated, so i can have generous supply of  the medication one way or another.  It's expensive to buy from overseas.  Anothr good reason to get off this stuff. 
    • Posted

But isn't the danger of buying overseas (or on the internet) not knowing whether you're actually taking what you've bought?
    • Posted

Don`t get me wrong Bellaseb, my Doctors try every chance they get to stop my script for Zopiclone (and quite a few other addictive drugs that I take), but there is an unspoken understanding, which goes something like this "I am doing well, I`m not abusing my meds, I never ask for an increase in dosage, and I never run out, why, when things in my life are so settled and in control, would you want to start messing about with my medications?, if it works, don`t try and fix it!" Of course these words have never actually been said face to face with my GP, but looking back on how I was at my worst, before I found a combination of medications that worked well for me, I think we understand each other.

Also, the BNF gives guidence to Doctors, they are basically allowed to prescribe what they feel will help their patient, as long as the Doctor & patient are clear about all the issues. Hence such things as Amitrptilyne being prescribed for pain, it isn`t licensed for pain, and basically the Doctor takes full responsibility for prescribing it for such.

P.S Don`t worry about asking me about things, I only hope that my rather shall we say "Interesting" experience with medications can help others.

All the best

Paddy

• Posted

That completely makes sense. Thank you for being so open about your experiences - it really does help, massively. You clearly know what you're talking about, and that can only be beneficial. But the main thing is that you look after yourself, of course.

All the best

Bella

• Posted

Hi. Are the internet Zopiclone ok. Also what is the best site to use, should i decide to buy them. How much do they cost?.  Thanks  all.
    • Posted

You may find the NHS pays as little as £1.20 for 28 of them, so you may want to think twice before you start paying out $159 or the like. A Bulgarian pharmacy offers them at 6.44 Bulgarian lev for ten which seems to be about £2.70 – I don't know if they sell them OTC there, one ad says they don't sell them online; maybe it's illegal, maybe they're a bit like Nytol about them (pure speculation on my part).

If you really need them though, I would hope one could say that you should be able to sort it out with your doctor or the NHS in some way.

[Bulagrian for Zopiclone: Зопиклон]

• Posted

Looked at another ad, seems like they're POM in Bulgaria (now?).
    • Posted

Vivien--i've been getting them overseas for years in addition to my local prescriptions. i have needed more than i can ask my doctor to prescribe, need just a little more to get me through to my next local prescription. They always seem to be all right, they work exactly the same as the ones i get from my local doctor. Currently, for about six months, i've been getting them from a pharmacy called Airmail Chemist. I found this one on a discussion forum called Overseas Pharmacies Forum, and from the forum, do a search for Airmail Chemist, you can see reviews for each pharmacy going back years. This one had good reviews and my previous one went down, which seems to happen eventually. This one is by far the best i've ever used, very professional and good communication and customer support.  They ship right away after ordering and they send you a tracking number. All my previous overseas pharmacies shipments have taken usually a month and sometimes more to get to me.  This one takes a week. The only medication i've ever gotten from them is zolpidem, i'm getting it about every other month now. I am ordering 28 tablets for $56 plus shipping, it comes to about $75.  That is the smallest order available.  They do have Zopiclone. If you google airmail chemist, you should see a listing and under it, one of the sublinks says Insomnia. Clicking on that will take you to a list of meds which include zolpidem and zopiclone.  They have two brands of zopiclone (i just looked)--Mylan and Actavis in the 7.5mg.  28 tablets for the Mylan (UK generic, it says) is $60 plus shipping. There are other amounts you can get for more money. With your shipment comes a doctor's prescription. You fill out a form on their site, or you call and answer some questions, about your health and why you are using the medication. Then they have a doctor approve it, they say. It only has taken a day or less and then they email you with your shipping info.  I have no way of knowing if these medications are OK, though on those forums, some reviewers have some detailed info, i just haven't looked into it because when i first started doing this, there weren't any discussion forums. I'm not that focused on it, just whether the pharmacy is reliable, and people will always say whether their medications are in their opinion good or not.  Sometimes, over the years, the medication doesn't arrive. When that has happened, the pharmacies have always sent another shipment.  One of the good things for me about getting off these medicatios will be not having to do this anymore. 
    • Posted

There used to be a Pharmacist site that shipped them from New Zeland (I think),they had a UK web address, and a UK customer service Telephone number, I`ve never bought any meds off the internet, and I have heard that those manufactured in the sub-continent (India, Sun Pharmacuticals) are pretty lax on the quality control. Also, If I were going to buy them this way, I would use a pre-paid visa, that way they won`t clear out your bank account, if they turn out to be scammers, of which there are many.

Still as long as I can get them legitimately from the NHS, I have no cause to risk it.

The site you mention, where you go through a brief telephone consultation with someone (possibly a GP), seems to be amongst the more honest type on the net, and the more expensive end.

All the best

Paddy

• Posted

I can't live without zopiclone, diazepam, amitrptyline, alprazolam, lorazepam. Been on them for years, some continuously, now it's rare I use any, but sometimes I must due to chronic illnesses.

Zopiclone is not addictive, but has a mild dependence. For me the dependence clears pretty much in 24 hours, and by 48 hours CNS is back to

Normal.

Long term benzodiazepines use can cause a more serious dependence and should be tapered off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.