Zopiclone dose...

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone

I'm really hoping someone may be able to give me some advice please...

I'm currently taking Zopiclone (7.5mg) and am now on my third consecutive prescription of it having had an initial 7 days (which didn't work), a further 7 days (which worked some of the time) and now have 14 days, which my doctor has told me to "take as and when needed".

The problem is, most of the time they just don't make me sleep. I become drowsy, fall asleep but then ALWAYS wake up at least once or twice during the night, regardless. I end up waking up feeling groggy and fuzzy headed.

Years ago I was prescribed Temazepam followed by amitriptyline, both for insomnia, but neither of those worked either. I think I'm running out of options.

I hadn't realised until very recently that 7.5mg was the higher dose of the tablets (as opposed to 3.75mg), but is it ok to take one and a half or two at night (occasionally) when I'm in desperate need for some proper sleep?

I'm already on Sertraline (100mg) and Propranolol (10mg x 6 per day) so I'm conscious of not being irresponsible with them... But I REALLY need to sleep!!!

Thanks for reading x

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jaw444,

I suppose everyone is different, I have been taking 15mg since I started taking it around 1994 ish, I to have tried upping my dose, but in my case I didn`t find that 3x 7.5mg made me sleep any more than 2x 7.5mg did, infact I think that once you pass the optimum amount it starts to actually give you less sleep (in my case anyway). When I first started on them, there were no generics, and Zimovane was the only brand avialable.

Still I personally believe that if you are going to be taking sleeping tablets for an extended period, then there is nothing available that works any better than Zopiclone.

Some of the Benzo`s will put you to sleep for 12 hours (Nitrazepam springs to mind here), but they very quickly stop working unless the dosage is increased, that`s why they are so addictive.

I believe you are taking your meds for the right reason, that is to get to sleep, but abuse of all sedatives is rampant nowadays, and Docs are generally loathe to prescribe anything for more than a couple of weeks.

They know just how debilitating insomnia is, but I`m afraid that today they are more concerned about being sued than a patients life being horrendous due to lack of sleep.

Fortunately I was originally prescribed Zopiclone at 15mg a night by a Consultant Psychiatrist (same for Valium), and have been taking them for so long, that it is easier for them to just keep signing the script.

Insomnia is a horrible illness, and very difficult for those who don`t suffer from it to understand, believe me when I say I really do wish the best for you. But it is a very touchy subject with Doctors nowadays.

Many people will tell you to take ground up monkey glands, or some exotic tea to make you sleep, I haven`t found any of these "natural remedies" to be of any use whatsoever.

All the best

Paddy

• Posted

Hi there.   I have taken various sleeping tablets on a regular basis ever since the sixties. I have been on Zopiclone for the last fifteen years but now my gp wants me to come off them. I have to tale the lower dose for a month, gradually tapering off, but i am not happy about this. I have been fairly stable on the dose of one 7,5mg per night. On the nights i only take one tab instead of two, i lie awake all night and then feel lousy the next day. I can see this is going to be a battle of wills and nerves.  Hopefully, not a nervous breakdown. It is early days though, but as someone else mentioned `if its not broke, why fix it`.  I think we know what we as patients need more than our GP`s do. Yes, i think its ok to take one and half tabs. You obviously have a high resistance to them. I find one to be adequate. If i wake in the night, i just doze and close my eyes, its more restful than taking another tablet i think.
    • Posted

GP's really do seem to want to make sure whether we do or don't need them, perhaps with some justification.

If we know or are really made to believe that there will be no more, perhaps our subconscious will latch onto the idea and we will in fact be able to go without them. Just recently, in the midst of having double-glazing fitted (an anxious time for me: my home might be left uninhabitable, what if I'm not up when they call to do the work, how am I going to sound sane if I don't get some sleep) I forgot to re-order my Zopiclone and the weekend approached when I would be one tablet short. I managed to find out that a pharmacist might just be able to give me an emergency supply (particularly since I had them "on repeat"), but in the end managed to actually get two nights real, natural sleep without Zopiclone.

On the other hand I know that some, perhaps many nights, I'm going to end up too tired and tense to even sit up or lie on a couch, much less to actaully do anything like reading or looking something up on the computer ... and completely unable to sleep. I'm bad enough before I take the Zopiclone, whatever I'd feel like in the morning without sleep ... and I have had (numerous) completely sleepless nights in my life. The thought's really unconscionable.

• Posted

To All,

Just a little note, as sleep is a major issue to almost everyone at some periods of their life.

It`s worth bearing in mind, that as you get older (I`m now just in my 50`s) your body naturally sleeps less, just a process of aging. So no matter what you take, you are very unlikely to be able to sleep like you could when you were in your teens or early 20`s.

As appealling as that is at times, it`s just not possible, with todays meds and dosages.

Sorry `bout that,  if I`ve put a downer on your day!rolleyes

All the best

Paddy

• Posted

Oh, bummer. I'm almost 33. Maybe AGE is my problem cry
    • Posted

LOL, I don`t think you are ready for the pipr and slippers yet bella, but I`m afraid it really is downhill from 40 onwards, in EVERYWAY! eek

Paddy

• Posted

Hahaha, great. Thanks, Paddy. Just, thanks... frown
  • Posted

i am on amatriptaline 40mg a day and irbesartan  naproxin and fluoxetine does anyone know if i can take zopiclone i am just not sleeping due to splitting from partner

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.