Zopiclone Not Working

Posted , 22 users are following.

I was recently prescribed Zopiclone 3.75mg (14 tablets). I haven't noticed any significant changes in my sleep, I still can't fall asleep.

I have discontinued use because I'm well aware of the potential for dependency and if it's not working I have no need to take them.

Is it possibly an issue of dosage,  I was given them several months ago (different doctor, different practice) and they seemed to work back then. It can't be an issue of tolerence as I haven't used them for a very long time.

I specifically asked him to give me zopiclone because I was hoping they would have the same effect as they did previously.

I don't know how to approach it with my GP, should i ask him to prescribe me a higher dose? I only want it to help restore my sleep pattern, I have no intention of prolonged use. (Apparently some people abuse them)

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, i sympathise with you, however, i wouldnt up the dosage, 7.5mg is quite a lot to take in one go. Go back to your Dr for advice. I have been on and off them for a couple of years, but take 3.75mg. Good luck.
  • Posted

3.75mg doesn't work at all for me. I've always needed the 7.5's if not two of those on more stressful occasions. 7.5 mg a night is the licence limit, of course.

I don't personally find any chemical dependency problems. If I find I don't need them for a night, couple of nights, even a few weeks without continuous use, I don't feel anything at all which could be described as withdrawal symptoms. The fact that I've a tendency to return to taking them might be a different matter.

• Posted

RobertT 2 is not the licence limit but Doctors like to stick too just 1 a night but i do know people who get 2 a night but depends on circumstamces.

• Posted

Ozram i do think that taking anymore could cause you some discomfort if your unable to get them as i was on 18 at one point and recently withdrew from 10 tablets i did 10 days and was climbing the walls becarefull all these are not to be messed with and highly addictive

• Posted

The licence recommendation is a maximum of 7.5mg, which is the dose at which most people would be safe to drive, for example, after taking 8-10 hours previously.

Hopefully, a doctor will always do what is in the health interest of his patient. For information about the way doctors go about prescribing medicines outside or beyond drug licences read: "Good practice in prescribing and managing medicines and devices" issued by the GMC, particular the section headed "Prescribing unlicensed medicines".

• Posted

HELP Zopiclone are crap... I'm awake all night sweating my feet r itching to the point where I am making them bleed All I want to do is sleep but the effect of these Zopiclome are horrendous they are keeping me wide awake WHY 5 nights on the run no sleep I'm absolutely Knackered
  • Posted

Hi.  I think you need to take 7.5mg in order to get to sleep initially, maybe after you get into a sleep pattern, then reduce dosage.
    • Posted

Ozram also think that Vivien58797 could work as well some times if they are not working it can be a number of reasons you also need to relax and give them time to start working

• Posted

Ozram i would like to make clear i am not a doctor and i only Discuss things from my experience. If the 3.75mg isnt working and you still have sleeping problems i would do one of the following : 1: Change the makers of the tablets as i find i use the round tablets they dont work as good or some times not at all. 2: Go to your Doctor and explain your problem but ceasing them may not be the ideal situation as they may take time to get into your system but please try both and see if one works better for you i hope i helped.

• Posted

Zopiclone is a bl00dy waste of time as an hyonotic...just bounces off me to the point where i've been punching holes in the wall out of sheer frustration and tiredness....can i get to sleep, can I f^^K..My prat of a GP will not prescribe anything different, and he wonders why I am so F%%king annoyed when I see hom. Tos££r.
    • Posted

There's not much more he can prescribe. Zopiclone is among the most potent of sleeping pills; only Rohypnol and some barbiturates are stronger. Rohypnol, if it did work for you, would quite probably only do so for a few weeks and I've certainly not heard of long-term use of barbiturates. Apart from that you sound as if you are in a Michael Jackson situation – only an anaesthetic will work. That is unless something will work together with the Zopiclone, an antidepressant or anxiolytic, for example.
  • Posted

Don't go there. Zopiclone are nasty things that creep up to you. It may be one a night but pretty soon you'll find the effects wear off and you'll be wanting more... then its really, really hard to get off them.

If I were you I'd look at other ways - how to relax before sleep, if you're under stress how to de-stress.

Nobody *needs* sleeping pills - I managed for 55 years without them and foolishly thought they'd help, but they ended up being a nightmare that I am only just starting to get out of.

• Posted

Hi Keith.   You mentioned in an earlier post that if you were still awake at say. 2am you would get up and do something.  Then go back to bed again. This is what CBT recommends doing.   Did you find it helped at all. I tried it once but still couldn't sleep and so it put me of.  It's a lonely old place in the early hours of the morning, not to mention, cold also.
  • Posted

I have been away on holidays.  just got back.  I don't know if you have been following my story but was on 7 (7.5) for years then decided time to cut back.  I did on my own but once got down to 4 i struggled.  was getting them from a different doctor so decided to go to my family doctor and told her the whole story.  She has been awesome in helping me wean down.  i am now at 2.  while i was on holidays i screwed up and four nights took 3 so ended up with 4 nights only able to take 1 but did it and wasn't as bad as i thought.  I am given 8 weeks at a time but can only pick them up weekly.  am picking up new refill today but going to stay on 1 as did not sleep all night but did dose off and on and no withdrawals or extreme fatigue. i have been on them for years but finally see the sun at the end of the rainbow.  hope soon can come right off them. 
  • Posted

bt late of forum to comment here but zoplicones dont work on me either but ask ur doctor for muscle relaxants like diazapam (valium) worked for me anyway

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.