Zopiclone side effects after long term use

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hello you all! I´m new here so I really don´t know how this works.  But I have some questions for those here who have experienced sideeffects from after long term use (abuse) of the drug Zopiclone.  Is there someone here who has experienced indigestion after using Zopiclone or simular drugs.  If so what did you do to make it better and is it permanent or something that can be fixed. 

I just found out that a friend of mine who has been sick more or less over the last one and half year has been abusing Zopiclone after she got it to get through a hard time in her life.  

She has been taking from one 7,5 mg up to six pills a night.  Now she´s going from doctor to doctor because she´s always ill.  After many visits to the hospital, numbers of tests and researches and she never gets any results that make sense.  She has severe panic attacks almost every day.  She can almost not eat anything because it causes her so much pain.  

After I found out about her abuse of this drug I started to research the Internet and found out that there are some terrible sideeffcts from using this drug for long time.  I´ve tried to talk to her about it but it´s like she doesn´t want to hear a bad thing about this drug.  She says it only helps her and her illness must come from something else.  So if there is anyone here who has had some indigestion problems of some kind I would be glad to hear what exactly and how you´ve overcome these problems.  And also hear from others that have experienced some illness because of this drug.  

0 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

ive never had indigestion with zopiclone.  Have you checked if it's a side effect of taking the drug?  Dryness of mouth  and bit groggy next day for me.

Theres a lot of talk about zopiclone and tablets like it, however I've been on for over 10 years and wish I had never taken it.

its very addictive and there's is forum here on ways to come off if that's what you or your friend want to do.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice. I'm trying to find a way to talk to her about her abuse without making her mad. I would not be as worried if I knew that she would take these pills right. I know she takes some periods where she takes up to six pills a night. She drinks a lot of caffeinated drinks during the day and stays awake for a long time after she takes her medicin. I'm pretty sure that thats abusing and not just using to get a better sleep.

You said that you wished you never started taking these pills, why is that?

• Posted

The reason is I got addicted without knowing.  I am prescribed 2x 7.5mg a night.  In reality I take 3 of 4 and source others elsewhere.  It's not ideal but that's the way it is.

ive tried to come off them about 3 times, the side effects are too much for me.  If I can get down to 2 a night I'd be fine.

it is mind over matter as in reality taking 2 or 6 will have same effect (in my opinion) it's all about getting into a routine.  Take the tablets and make sure the person is in bed and lights out 5 mins after taking.  If the person stays awake watching TV the tablet will basically have no effect and the person will take more.  I've seen this and have done this.

*I am not medically trained, and these are my own personal views - I'd suggest seeking professional help - perhaps a addiction worker first.  As going to doctor may mean doctor takes person off tablet immediately*

• Posted

How are you doing cushendun2? I'm in the same boat as you! Mentally addicted currently taking 2 x 7.5mg

• Posted

your only ment to take it for short term about  2 weeks then you body gets use to it
    • Posted

I agree with your comment, but I don't know of anyone that ever takes just for 2 weeks as recommended.  Doctors need to take responsibility at the 2 week stage.  They however don't and people go to doctor after years of abuse and doctors answer is to stop supply immediately.

its a dangerous drug which does help but is very addictive.

• Posted

I think it´s so scary that it seems like there are really few doctors who actually know how horrible this is for people in the long run.  I just can´t get over it how crazy it is that doctors are giving these pills to people for more than 10-14 days.  There are so many other ways to help people to sleep than just pills.  

I would never have thought that my friend would get addicted like this.  You would never imagine how much this has changed her.  She´s totally a different person and I so really want to help her.  I don´t know if all these health issues are permanent or if it goes away when she stops 

• Posted

I became dependant on Zopiclone, like your friend, by accident, without any idea what I was getting myself into! I thought I had lost my mind, I spent days walking around feeling like I would snap any minute due to extreme anxiety and panic attacks. When I realised what it was causing it I went cold turkey and it was the hardest week of my life, didn't sleep or eat for 3/4 days. Couldn't go to work. Just tried to walk all day and then try and drink myself to sleep on a night! After about a week I started to stop drinking and then a couple of weeks after that I started feeling slightly normal again. That was about 6 months ago and now I feel fine! But I'll never forget how bad it was. I think you should tell your friend to take a 'life holiday' and try and get through it. I'm not a doctor but from personal experience the sooner you end the zopiclone nightmare the better! It's a shame because at the beginning the drug does work..

• Posted

I have been feeling sick ever since I started this drug. Stomach issues, yes. Tests done. Everyone tells nothing is wrong, but I'd don't feel well. I would never go on if I had choice. I quit taking for 2 months, but had extreme nerve issues, so started again. Nerve issues are better. I feel OCD. I changed diet cutting out gluten and other things. Can't overly say better. Good luck. 

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your story.  Can I ask you what kind of stomach issues and what kind of nerve issues you are talking about.  
    • Posted

With the nerve issues, when I quit taking I had nerve pain in my feet and legs. I couldn't get to sleep because pain was so bad. I still have nerve pain in back and legs but zopiclone lets me get to sleep. Before I couldn't and would lay for hours before falling asleep developed twitchy leg syndrome. I have pain in my right side. No one can tell me why. Told to quit eating gluten and watch what I'm eating. What are your stomach issues? 

• Posted

Emmkay.. I talked to doctor and pharmacist. They totally disagree with me. They say it is the safest of all the drugs out there. I don't agree. My doctor is prescribing it to people all the time. I wouldn't go that way now that I know but how to get rid of, I don't know. FYI they were, doctor and pharmacist, angry when I argued with them. Bottom line is they don't know how harmful it is. No one does. 

• Posted

Wow that sounds so bad.  I´m really sorry for you.  Have you always had those nerve issues or is this something that came up after you started taking Zopiclone? I´m sorry if i´m asking too personal questions.  I´ve just been reading everything I can find about this drug and there is a lot of info out there.  But I just got so confused so I thought it would be better to ask real people who have personal experience with this drug.  

My friend has been in and out of hospital for the 18-24 months.  But I never knew about her addiction then.  She had all kinds of health problems but the doctors could never find what was wrong.  This was before I or anyone else around her knew about her abuse so I know for sure that she did not mention this to the doctors at that time and I´m not even sure that she knew that all these things happening to her could be side effects.  She was in a good shape and just 26 years old when it started.  

There was a period where her bloodpressure was totally out of control and no one knew why.  She had some issues with her heart but after days of research they couldn´t find anything, issues with blood sugar, fainting here and there, her hands shake constantly, she has had something simular to Hypoesthesia but not exactly, extreme weight loss, she has had some tests on her central nervous system and then they found out that half of her body was almost numb but that changed just over a night and no one knows why.  She has developed extreme Social Anxiety, she gets severe panic attacks almost every day and on and on.  

What is taking all energy from her is that she can not eat anything without either some issues with digestive problems, nausea, she´s either vomiting, constipated or has diarreah, extreme abcominal pain and really sharp pain during bowel movement.  

• Posted

Wow that´s exactly the response I got when I trying to get any information about this drug just after I found out that she had been abusing this and I had been reading some information about the drug and everywhere it said that patients should never take this drug for more then 14 up to max 20 days.  I called few doctors and pharamcist just to get some information about how the description system would work.  If there wasn´t anything that would pop up on their screen/red flag if a patient had been getting some medicin in extreme doses or for example drugs that should only be used for a short period but would be prescriped over and over for years.  When the answer was no I said something about how horrible that would be...I mean if you trust your doctor and your doctor makes a mistake or even doesn´t even know better then there is nothing or no one who could stop it before it´s to late.  The pharmacist then asked me what drug I was thinking about and when I said Zopiclone he got really angry with me and said that it was obvious that I had never had any problems with sleeping.  This would be the number one best selling drug in our country and that was only because it would help people.  Oh well ... 

• Posted

I totally understand. They got angry with me too when I brought up side effects. Doctor and pharmacist. Said safest drug on market compared to diazepam and others. I totally disagree. I think has totally disabled me. I am 62 and felt it has already destroyed me. The nerve pain was unbearable. I managed 2 months off. Lots of people do get off by tapering down. I don't think it targets everyone's nervous system. It did mine. If you're one of the lucky ones, reduce. You'll sleep way better. 

• Posted

In Northern Ireland doctors have been told to not prescribe unless absolutely necessary !  Big issue over here
    • Posted

Valid point but we must not blame our doctors.  We have choices.
    • Posted

I'm happy to hear that. Short term as they should be prescribed probably, better. 

• Posted

After you are hooked, it does not feel that way. 
    • Posted

I don't think doctors are to blame here.  Perhaps better understanding all round 

• Posted

I do blame. They hand out like candy and don't know the implications themselves. No one really knows what this drug is capable of. 

• Posted

The drug was reclassified last year to a class C drug.  Therefore doctors are concerned when prescribing.  Now 10 years but that's because of underlying medical conditions.

when doctors surgerys are audited they are accountable for what they prescribe and the Health trusts paying for these prescriptions also will pick this up.  If your saying doctor prescribing to anyone long term without any justification they will be found out or perhaps doctor is justified in their prescribing 

• Posted

I'm Canadian. No restrictions here yet as far as I know. They, doctor and pharmacist, seem to think drug is safe. I don't. 

• Posted

Ok, I see now.  Thought u in uk.   What time is it in Canada? 
    • Posted

9.20am.  My nephew on working visa in Vancouver was gonna call home but will wait few hours !
    • Posted

Yes only 1:20 there. You might have to wait a while. Your girlfriend on zopiclone? Going to bed, ill answer you tomorrow. 
    • Posted

Totally! I would never ever start to take some drugs just because my doctor recommends it and I think it is unbeliveble that people don´t research before they start on drugs.  But it would be really nice if doctors would understand all the pain that their patients go through just to stop taking this drug.  The manufacturer's printed information leaflet from inside the pack says it´s important to only take this drug for 14-20 days.  There must be a reason for that and thats way I can not understand why doctors are prescribing this for longer period than that.  There must be something else

• Posted

You said that you had some test because of stomach issues.  What kind of tests and what kind of issues are you talking about?
    • Posted

Hi, I just happened to find the post on this site about zopiclone, and wannted to suggest that your friend with the stomache problems needs to get to find a doctor and get referred to a gastroenterologist and ask to be tested for celiac disease. Her symptoms of anxiety, panic attacks and digestive issues any constipation or diarrhea are some of the symptoms I had before I was diagnosed with it. If she is celiac and starts following a gluten free diet she will start feeling better, it takes awhile depending on how badly the villi are damaged, but she will feel better.

Also if she is celiac and doesn't get tested and follow a strict gluten free diet, she has a higher chance of developing more serious problems down the road as well as a possiblity of developing intestinal cancer.

As for the ubusing zopiclone, if that is what is happening she needs to get help for that as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.