Zopiclone side effects after long term use

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hello you all! I´m new here so I really don´t know how this works.  But I have some questions for those here who have experienced sideeffects from after long term use (abuse) of the drug Zopiclone.  Is there someone here who has experienced indigestion after using Zopiclone or simular drugs.  If so what did you do to make it better and is it permanent or something that can be fixed. 

I just found out that a friend of mine who has been sick more or less over the last one and half year has been abusing Zopiclone after she got it to get through a hard time in her life.  

She has been taking from one 7,5 mg up to six pills a night.  Now she´s going from doctor to doctor because she´s always ill.  After many visits to the hospital, numbers of tests and researches and she never gets any results that make sense.  She has severe panic attacks almost every day.  She can almost not eat anything because it causes her so much pain.  

After I found out about her abuse of this drug I started to research the Internet and found out that there are some terrible sideeffcts from using this drug for long time.  I´ve tried to talk to her about it but it´s like she doesn´t want to hear a bad thing about this drug.  She says it only helps her and her illness must come from something else.  So if there is anyone here who has had some indigestion problems of some kind I would be glad to hear what exactly and how you´ve overcome these problems.  And also hear from others that have experienced some illness because of this drug.  

0 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The list of possible sideeffects is endless and there are a lot of side effects that have something to do with digestion.  Someone here who knows exactly what problems people can get from using the drug over a long period.  
    • Posted

I have had a pain in my side since taking. Possibly not related. I've had MRI, colonoscopy and I am booked for a gastro test in march. I just don't feel well. I mentioned in another post that I watched dr oz episode on this drug. I ve went to emergency numerous times thinking I'm dying and nothing is ever found. They think I'm a hypochondriac. Dr oz says it's the pills. Unfortunately I think it attacked my nervous system as Margaret said. I don't think I can go off. If you can, do it. Reduce and possibly a week of not sleeping. But you can do it. 

• Posted

I have been taking Zopiclone for nearly twenty years now and have never had any stomach problems on them.

your friend is abusing these drugs and other stuff, so it's no wonder she doesn't feel well.

• Posted

Vivien, how are you doing? I've been following your comments for a few years now, are you still on zopiclone? I'm using 15mg now sad

• Posted

Hi dhmc.

yes, I am still taking Zopiclone. And I shall continue to take them for as long as I can get them prescribed.

I still only take 7.5mg and supplement that with half a tablet of Phenergan antihistamine 25mg. They are supposed to make you drowsy.

they are not cheap but a pack lasts me a long time.

if I have a bad night, I will sometimes take an extra half of Zop, but I usually find that I’m ok. Nine out of ten times I get of to sleep ok, too.

the only drawback with Zopiclone is they have a short life, so I only manage  to stay asleep for about five hours. It’s never enough, but better than nothing.

How you doing. Do you get enough sleep?

• Posted

I've been fine for years, but last weekend I didn't sleep for 3 days and the zopiclone wasn't doing a thing, scraped bits of sleep over the last few days and last night I was awake until 7am and over the course of the night I took 6 7.5mg and still didn't sleep

• Posted

I have been taking zopiclone for 4 years. Started out at 3.5 , now taking 10 . I have a new doctor and he wants me to go off this drug. My previous doctor said it was the least addictive sleeping pill. I started having digestive issues 3 years ago. I cut out gluten, sugar, red meat, dairy. Still have problems re constipation, bloating, pain.  I have tried everything to heal my gut. I am now weaning myself off zopiclone.
    • Posted

Hi Laura I have just read your comments, how did you go getting off zopiclone? 
  • Posted

i find this tablet very good and am so glad i found it no issues at all
    • Posted

Good to hear Rebecca,

Just a word of caution - Take only as directed and not for a long sustained period of time. 

• Posted

I have taken zopiclone for at least 30 years and cant go to bed with out it 7.5 mg, never had any bad effects from it, the only bad thing it does for me is make me want some thing either sweet or salty about 15 minutes after taking it, does this happen to any one else
    • Posted

Hi there I too have been on it for many years and now at 66 won’t be going off it. I need my sleep as I have several health issues. 😁

• Posted

How are you Lilian, are you still using zopiclone? I've been on it 10 years, 7.5mg but had to go up to 15mg and now need to get back down to 7.5

• Posted

Hi trish I am 85 to late for me to try and get off these pills but never knew you could get a higher dose, its more than 30 years when I started taking them never had any bad effects from them, they only let me sleep maybe 5 hours which is ok better than lying in bed just trying to get to sleep.
    • Posted

Hi Lillian.

i also have been on them for. Thirty years or so and can’t sleep without them.

its a pity they don’t last long as I too wake up after five hours. I often wonder why they made them to on,y last for a short time. But at least we are able to get of to sleep ok, usually.

• Posted

Hi Trish like wise don't think l will come of the Zopiiclone as l need to sleep.I am retiring next year and l won't need to worry so much abount sleep as l won't beven working and up and out no time to relax.Carole

• Posted

Do you think gps will carry on prescribing Zopiclone. 

As it has now become a class C drug they are trying to wean us all of it.

Every month when I put my repeat prescription in, I expect it to be withdrawn.  It’s very worrying.

has anyone else been questioned about their prescription

I also have been in them for many years now.

A former Gp tried to wean me of them, but I couldn’t do it, it was hellish.

So I changed surgeries and so far, so good. That was a few years ago now.

But as I said previously, it’s always 

• Posted

Hi Vivian l just need to sleep and l get them on the web.My surgery dosent give sleeping pills.So l have no choice.As l said to much stress in my life.I will retire nexto year and l won't be able to afford these pills.And hopefully l won't be so stressed.Carole.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.