Zopiclone withdrawal

Posted , 7 users are following.

I need some help with zopiclone withdrawal. I have been onthem too long and now suffer from panic attacks . I have made an appointment with my GP in the hope he will help me. I am scared he will be angry. Have other people gone through this stage of trying to give up but suffer ? Please reply.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Gillian

firstvof all please try not to think your GP will be angry with you. The GP is there to help. It would be very unhelpful and very unprofessional if they were angry about it. Lots of people have problems with these meds. Try to feel positive about the fact you have made the best step forward and you now have an appointment to start sorting this out and you're going to get help. Dont feel bad about yourself , you are not a bad or lesser person just because of this zopiclone situation. If your GP isn't helpful - and that shouldn't be the case - then see someone else. Is your appointment soon?

• Posted

Hi Tessa

yes I have an appointment for 15 minutes on 12th January. Hope it works. Did you have a problem with zopiclone? 

• Posted

I was prescribed zopiclone a few years ago and was told never to take it more than two nights in a row. I had terrible insomnia. She would only prescribe 14 tablets each time. I was so concerned about possible addiction that I stopped using it. I still have half a box in my bottom draw. My problem was tramadol. I went through awful withdrawals with tramadol and also gabapentin. I'm now on codeine. I'm very up front with my GP about my problems with these drugs. I'm sure there will be others here who are, or have been, struggling with zopiclone though. 
    • Posted

Hi Tessa

did your GP revoke your driving licence while you were on a withdrawal from zopiclone? . I am now worried about mentioning this to my GP

• Posted

Hi how are you buying theses pills online are you not worried they might be fake
    • Posted

Hi Gillian. My withdrawals were from tramadol and gabapentin. And no, my driving license wasn't revoked
  • Posted

Hi Gillian,

well done for making this decision. Google the Ashton Plan and have a good read. Print it off and take with you to your GP appointment. I'm sure you will get support on condemnation. Many of us have been exactly where you are. Try to be really honest with your doctor, it was tough for me because I was ashamed to admit I had been supplementing my prescription by buying online. It's the drug that's so addictive not a character weakness. You will get lots of support on here. Good luck!

• Posted

i also bought online which is why I am so ashamed and embarrest to admit the problem. How did your doctor react?
    • Posted

Sheila...did the doctor take away your driving licence when you saw him?

this has me worried and I might cancel my appointment for help if ths is the case.

• Posted

Hello Gillian

How many are you taking at night ? And how long you been on them ?

• Posted

Hi Kelly

2 years after a horrendous time with family illness. Have you had a problem with withdrawal?

• Posted

Hello

Yes I've been on mine for 18 years 15mg a night and only now do the doctors want me to come of them they stopped mine December 16 so I've got to wait until I see the doctor again on Tuesday to discuss it all with him

Have you tried to cut down ? I also get panic attacks but they aren't down to the zopiclone

• Posted

Hi Kelly and others who replied

i saw my doctor but didn't discuss the zopiclone in case he revoked my driving licence. I discussed the panic attacks.

I have gone cold turkey and now taking my mirtazapine last thing at night. I get off to sleep but have awful dreams and still feel dreadful during day but I assume this will get better as the zopiclone gets out of my brain. 

Thanks for all your help. Who else has gone cold turkey and how did they feel and for how long?

• Posted

Hi Gillian, I would have thought the best thing to do would be to cut down more slowly, but if you are managing to get to sleep thats not bad - I know the bad dreams are awful.  I did try going cold turkey from valium, but this is just not possible after a long term addiction.  The withdrawal symptoms are so dreadful, - in fact alot of people think they are worse than withdrawal from herion, and so do I - so the only realistic way to come off that is slowly.

But well done for what you are doing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.