Zopiclone withdrawal

Posted , 7 users are following.

I need some help with zopiclone withdrawal. I have been onthem too long and now suffer from panic attacks . I have made an appointment with my GP in the hope he will help me. I am scared he will be angry. Have other people gone through this stage of trying to give up but suffer ? Please reply.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

What dose are you taking?
    • Posted

Hello just to let you all know I have been doing really well on 7.5mg the past 3 days so I am hoping to come of these pills a slow progress but at least I'm not taking 2 anymore
    • Posted

WOW amazing! I'm jealous!! I took 1 1/2 and didn't sleep well and went back upto 15mg, not managed to come back down yet sad

I'm only taking one tonight, I'm just going to have to stick out the no sleep

• Posted

Just go and see the doctor and talk to him or her about how you feel you might be able to work something out
  • Posted

I used to take 7 (7.5) a night for many years then started weaning down with help of my doctor.  I am prescribed two months but can only pick up weekly from pharmacist.  My prescription is for 2 a nite but actually have been trying one and last week went down to half a night and was surprised at how easy it was.  When I first thought of cutting down, yes, I had massive panic attacks but then this time I just talked to myself calmly and told myslf that I could do it and went to bed and just relaxed and kept myself calm and surprising as I said even at a half I did not sleep a full night but I did doze off her and there enough that next day I was okay.  Good luck and just relax.  There is a light at the end of the rainbow.
    • Posted

Hi salute you,lady! Well done. I was prescribed these pills for many years which in time led to abuse, very similar to your use.last year I stopped cold turkey and was doing really well until I was admitted to hospitalwith a severe infection. I couldn't sleep so asked for a sleeping pill and that was me back on the merry go round. I've cut down to half and will be on quarters soon xx
  • Posted

Hi Gillian many times I've cut down to one tenth of a tablet but unfortunately I can never quite get there as new life problems arise but how I've managed to cut down was when I saw a private psychiatrist who recommended up to 15 mg mirtazapine ( I only need half tab) so I found I could take just a half zop with half mirtazipine then I went to quarter etc it was much easier.

also I take my iPad to bed and play spiritual music that feels right something that doesn't spike the emotions. I find that these sounds stop the mind from dwelling on sleep. It takes a while to find the music that resonates utter peace but over the years I now have quite a large collection.

also I listen to debates like the big question etc that I'm keen to follow and I'm asleep really fast. I think it's because I'm no longer trying to go to sleep but the opposite I'm in a subconscious was trying to stay awake if you get me?

ive found during the past two years doing the above that insomnia isn't such an issue anymore. It used to paralize me with dread and fear for decades but now I'm much calmer.

i feel just by listening to the music heals the mind in time. I always wake up in the night and I used to take another zopiclone but these days half a mirtazapine will do or sometimes nothing. I feel I could easily give up zop but instead of running away I actualy enjoy the half tab as it makes me feel calm and centred an hour before sleep. Sometimes I'm calm anyway and I just take mirtazapine this also makes me feel safe inside.

the answer took me years to find for me and then I discovered that trying to sleep or give up the pills gave it energy so I tricked my mind not to try but to play the sounds conducive for surrendering.

• Posted

Hi Gillian,

this is a really good decision. I'm sure you can do it. I am on a reduction prgramme to come off diazepam. I was taking 20-30mg a day, and am now down to 6mg a day - I take it at night.  At first the mere thought of having to come off them gave me awful panic attacks, but now I'm OK, and managing pretty well. The way to do it - come off tranquilizers of any sort - is to do it really slowly. I go down by 2mg and stay on that for a month, then go down another 2mg. I think the drop in doses will get smaller as I get towards the end,otherwise its impossible to manage.

Doing this with my doctors help is good but is does mean that I cant drive. If your'e doctor knows you have been ordering these drugs online your'e driving licence will be revoked, as they have to inform the DVLA - if youre in the UK.

It has to be worth it, I have tried coming off them before and not managed.

Just be aware that if you drive, this will happen, so you have to be certain you want to do it with your'e doctors help.

Lots of Luck.

• Posted

Thank you Ursula. I had know idea that you lose your licence. Has this happened to anyone else who went to their doctor? It had put me off going for help.
    • Posted

Hi Gillian I did try to post a message but it seemed to get lost somewhere.

I am really sorry, I didnt mean to put you off getting help, but it is quite likely that your'e doctor will inform the DVLA if you are ordering online. Mine did, and I was upset, but I'm glad to be coming off the addictive drugs.

The doctors have pressure put on them to inform the DVLA if anyone has a medical condition which may affect their driving, and also if anyone is taking any medication which isnt prescribed - the problem being they dont know if the drugs are actually what they say they are, or what the strengths are, or how many exactly you have been taking because they havent been monitoring it. All this means the medication may affect your'e ability to drive.  I know lots of people are prescribed tranquilizers and still drive safely, so I feel its not really fair, and I was pretty upset.  

Its not the doctor who takes your'e licence away, its the DVLA medical panel after your'e doctor has informed them.

I got a letter from them telling me my licence was revoked, and then you cant apply for it back for a year after you have stopped taking diazepam, and been sent for a medical test by the DVLA to prove that you are definitely off them.

Really sorry about this.  Its just one of the problems connected to being addicted to tranquilisers.   I cant wait to get my licence back, but I just have to be patient.

Hope you decide what to do and what you decide is in your'e best interest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.