Zopiclone Withdrawal

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hi I stopped Zopiclone after taking it for 5 months 3 nights ago. Somehow I managed about 5 hrs interrupted sleep the first two nights. Last night I had no sleep and feel awful today. The doc said I can still take it if I feel desperate but I know I will slide back into the habit of taking it. Any encouragement would be welcome. I could sleep for England today

2 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Nirithes. I think a couple nights without sleep is going to happen. Is there a way to take part of the tablet. I am not sure if they are tablets or capsules. But just try not to think about it and try something relaxing before you try to sleep. One day at a time is all you can do. I went days without sleep and thought it would never end. of course mine was Ativan for 20 years. Lived on 2 hours sleep a night about 5 out of 7 days a week. But now I sleep GOOD. Wish I could help more. Bet of luck and keep us posted as well. Sincerely, Ruby S
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your response. I'll tough it out again tonight. I'm glad your ok now. Withdrawal is awful isn't it

• Edited

Hi Nirithes.

I myself have recently finished a Zopiclone detox, I was taking them for over 10 years. My Sleep was very erratic and I found myself being tired during the day because I wasn't sleeping at night, But It Was The Best Thing I Ever Done Because They Were controlling My Life. I Promise You That As Each Day Goes By Youll Feel Yourself Getting stronger. The Withdrawls Dont Last As Long As Other Tablet Detoxs E.g (benzos). Im Two Weeks Free From Them Horrible Poisonous Tablets And The Headaches are Gone And Im sleeping much , much better 7-8hrs a night. Please don't go back to taking them because all the hard work you've done so far would be wasted. I found that talking to someone close really helps and any sort of "positive" distraction will also help. Be proud of what you are doing. I wish you all the best and if you need to chat don't hesitate in msg me. Also Meditating works wonders. It slows the mind down.

• Posted

You've done brilliantly. Must have been so hard.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm definitely going for my 4th night Zop free even if I don't sleep a wink

It's so hard I've felt awful today like and absolute zombie but I'll persevere

• Posted

Hi Nirithes.

I was just checking in with you to see how you were managing your detox. I hope that all is going well for you cause I know how difficult it is and sometimes a txt or chat to someone helps. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi I'm so glad you've messaged me. I gave in after my sleepless night and took a quarter last night and slept 8 hrs. I'm going to reduce slowly. Maybe one night without this week then two etc. I'm so stressed about it all I honestly dread going to bed. Feel so alone in all this

• Edited

That sounds like a very realistic and manageable plan. It's not a race. You want to do it properly and I think you are. Some people can do a detox different and find it easier because they have people who support them, and support is a big factor because when you take away the 'drug\sleeping tablet you have to replace it with something else, E.G. Exercise, long walks , reading a book, anything really that will tire you out. For me , I attended N\A meetings , which were invaluable to me, because I was sitting in a room with people that were either getting free from substance abuse of were already totally narcotic free.

Please don't feel like you've failed in anyway at all because sometimes when we don't meet our own expectations we kinda beat ourselves up over it.

I think that you're doing tremendous and you'll be free of them very soon. Well done ???

• Posted

Also , I don't know if you've ever tried to do meditation. Some people find it difficult at first (I did), but now I do it most evenings and it's priceless.

You can download a guided meditation app onto your phone. It relaxes the mind, and it can be done very easily in your own home. Good luck over the next few weeks , and if you need to chat , just msg me. Be proud of yourself because it's not easy , but you're doing it. ??

• Posted

Thank you for your support. I will be popping in if you don't mind. I cant really talk to my family as my Sis has just been dx with cancer so don't want to burden anyone. I'm going Zop free tonight and even if I don't sleep at all I'm going to try not to stress. My doc has upped my Amitryptillin dose from 10 to 30mg so hoping this takes away some of my anxiety soon. Thanks again for your support

• Posted

I totally understand why you don't want to feel like a burden by telling your family , I think the higher dose of Amitriptyline will definitely make you feel tired and help with your sleep.

I hope you get some sleep tonight , and then maybe you could take 1 Zopiclone every second night , then break them in half as you feel more comfortable and confident , because although the lack of sleep is a major physical side effect , I found that I was thinking about them all day and worrying during the day about whether I was going to sleep that night.

Keep doing all the positive stuff you're doing. Well done.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your response your really encouraging me.

I didn't have a zop last night and slept 6 hrs very interrupted but at least I know I can sleep on my own. I've also signed up to a guided meditation class.

Thanks so much for your help and hope you are well

• Posted

That's brilliant , you're doing tremendous . I think that the meditation class will definitely benefit you and you might meet people there who can advise you on now to relax your body and mind.

Guided meditation is very simple cause you just listen to the c.d. and follow the instructions. Please go with an open mind and as I said before , it might take a few times to register, because at the moment you're very Raw and vulnerable. You're emotions are probably all over the place.. Take care and good luck. I'll stay in touch .......

• Posted

I had no sleep at all last night due to sleep anxiety and no Zop. Feel absolutely shocking been crying etc. Just want to go to bed and not lie awake all night worrying and to feel normal
    • Posted

That s ok,  was that your second night wihout it?   Try using a whole one 5 days a week and halves for 2 days during the week.   You ll be fine eventually.   We ve all been through going to bed afraid of not sleeping.  Im ok now with no sleeping pills 🙏🏻

• Posted

I totally understand just how you're feeling, and its not easy, we take these poisonous pills for years and years , so it's only natural it's gonna take a while to conquer them.

They consume are thoughts so much that they leave us in fear.

Get a good night sleep and start again tomorrow. You're doing all the right things..

• Posted

Hi thought I'd just pop in and let you know how I'm doing. One Zop in 6 days! My sleeping is poor but at least it's natural and I'm learning very slowly not to stress about sleep.

I'll post again

• Posted

You're doing brilliant and have come so far..

You'll find yourself getting more and more sleep as the days go by and its great that you're not stressing about sleep , because I found myself that the more I stressed the less I actually slept..

Well done ?

How did you find the meditation ?

• Posted

Hi thought I'd pop in I and let you know how I'm doing. I'm doing ok and managing Zops maybe twice a week. My sleep is slowly improving and I'm starting CBT tomorrow and my meditation classes the week after. Feeling much better and my anxiety is easing. Still early days......Hope you are well

• Posted

That's brilliant , it's great to hear you doing all these positive things , and that will all help you in every walk of life. Not just for the Zopiclone freedom...

I'm so happy for you. Keep doing what you're doing ,cause it's working. Well done ??

• Posted

Absolutely amazing. It is your heart and soul speaking to yourself. You are gonna be another success story that will help encourage people to stop these kind of drugs. You put a smile on my face tonight. A day at a time is all you can do.Keep us posted and many wishes coming your way. Ruby S
    • Posted

Lovely comment thank you. I'm dead pleased cos I had a bad night last night. Didn't give in to the Zops but didn't stress so I'm so pleased.

• Posted

Amazing. It really is brilliant to see 👀 so many people not only winning the battle against the drug but also in the manner you're doing so by being open to meditation etc....

It's empowering getting ones life back. Congratulations...

• Posted

Hi I'm not sure if you'll pick this up but Just wanted you to know I'm 2 weeks Zopiclone free. It's been so hard but so glad I'm not taking them now

• Edited

That's really brilliant news. I'm so happy for you cause I know the struggles you've had with them.

You're free from them now. Congratulations and well done ?????

• Posted

Congratulations. I bet in a few weeks you will post how much better you are off these drugs. Just keep us posted please.You are another hero of this drug world. It will take a few weeks before you notice that it is okay and you should sleep okay. Best of luck to You. Ruby Slippers......
    • Edited

Sorry , I'm only getting to my e-mails now. I was on holidays.

It's amazing now you'll be 3weeks Zopiclone free and coming back to yourself by now.

Keep posting because you're an inspiration to all the people who are struggling at the moment and don't see a way out. Well done.

• Posted

Hi I just posted but it disappeared. Yea 3 weeks now. 5 hrs broken sleep a night on average but at least it's sleep

I really admire you coming off them after so long. I still crave them after being on them only 7 months

• Posted

Oh my goodness. It only gets better from here. I was on the benzos for 20 years.It has taken me a few months to be like a normal person. Best of luck to you. Strong heart and soul. I do admire your will power and hope someone else on this forum can do the same. Still keep us posted. Ruby S
    • Posted

Hi Nirithes.

5hours broken sleep is good 👍 for 3weeks. Some people who don't take medication don't even get that much sleep, and as the days go by you'll not only get more sleep, you'll find yourself been a lot calmer and you'll be able to focus better on things and be more tolerable around other people.

The Cravings are completely NORMAL...

You have to kinda look at it as it was a relationship, now the relationship ( Zimos ) is over and you're going through a grieving process. When you get a craving , check in with yourself because the mind plays tricks on us and tells us things like "you can take them once" or "I'm doing so well ,I'll reward myself" , they are LIES.... PAIN HAS NO MEMORY.

You're doing really well. Keep up the good work, don't get complacent and you'll be fine.

Keep checking in here and use what ever other supports you have. That's vital that you talk about your thinking. That will determine your future pal. Keep up the brilliant work.

I love hearing success stories.

Please keep in touch. R...

• Posted

Hi. It's been one month today!!! So proud of myself. I'm sleeping a bit better finally. I do take a natural chamomile supplement but think this has more of a placebo effect

Thank you for all your encouragement and fingers crossed I can continue

• Posted

Hi one month Zop free today!! I'm so happy. Thanks also for your encouragement

• Posted

Absolutely amazing! How is your sleep. Might take a while. Took me about 6 weeks to sleep better. Best of luck and what a perfect end. Keep me posted please. Cheers! Ruby S
    • Posted

Hi. That's absolutely amazing , to come from a stage where you never thought you could get off them , and now you're a WHOLE MONTH ZOPICLONE FREE.

That's so great to hear and you're an inspiration to the people that don't think there's a way off them horrible tablets.

It's great to hear you say that you're so proud of yourself and what you've achieved, because PAIN has no memory.

Please keep posting because it gives other people hope.

I'm so happy for you. Well done ?.

• Posted

Thank . Yes I'm dead happy and my anxiety is so much better.

Great to have the support and encouragement so thanks again

• Posted

Hi my sleep was awful to start about 2 hrs every night and at least 2 hrs to get to sleep. Now in my fith week I'm getting to sleep quicker and although I have broken sleep im up to 5 or 6 hours which is brilliant.

Talking to you and Raymond has really helped me. You know how hard it is

• Posted

I am still only at about 5 to 6 hours at the most sleep, but I actually feel better than I did with lots of sleep. I don't know if I would have been able to do this without this support forum. Hope to hear from you in a week or so and more wonderful moments. Ruby S

• Posted

Hi 6 weeks today!!! I'm so happy. My sleep has improved as well

• Posted

Wow. That's amazing... You should be really proud of yourself. 😇...

It's great that you're sleeping 😴 better too. Well done ??

• Posted

I seem to not know how to or where to post back to you. Lol. Hope you got my message a few hours ago. I only get 5 to 6 hours sleep now, but I feel great. Makes me wonder how much sleep you really need. Once in a while I will get about 7 hours. Keep in mind I am 62 years old. Feel better than I have in years. You are another example of SUCCESS! I call that free and clear. Keep us posted as usual please. Hope this week flies by! smile Ruby S
    • Posted

Hi I got your message thanks. Yea I'm the same. Feel great on 5 hrs. I don't think we need 8 hrs. I'm 57 and managing fine at the mo. Well done to you as well. Sleeping tabs are a hard habit to break

Keep me posted with your progress as well.

• Edited

Hi thought I'd pop in. 11 weeks Zop free I can't believe it. I still get sleep anxiety but I am getting enough sleep

So happy I've kicked this drug

Hope you are well

• Posted

Yahoo!!!! Otherwise, how are you really feeling. Like in the daytime or driving or watching tv. Do you feel any different. I feel like a new person. My doctor that I have been seeing for 23 years, said it is the best she has ever seen me. My blood work was totally okay when last year everything was off. Makes me wonder if it was the pills. I too get anxiety at night sometimes. When I actually get a good nights sleep about 6 to 7 hours I know the next night will be iffy. Thank you so much for the update. Really made my day and put a big smile on my face.

Congrats Ruby S

• Posted

Great to hear from you and so glad you are doing well. I definitely blame the Zoo's for much of the anxiety

I feel great mostly like a new person if I'm honest. I've just tried to accept that there will be a few bad nights along the way but it's fine. I felt so much worse getting decent sleep with the zops than not so much sleep without. It's a good feeling isn't it.Really pleased I've made your day x

• Posted

Please can you help me, I’m only three days in on cutting my 3.75mg tablet in half so I can come off the zopiclone gradually but today I’m really anxious even though I’ve slept, is this normal. Five months ago I was put on citalopram and zopiclone as I was suicidal after been awake every night with panic attacks. I do want to come off the zopiclone and just stay on the citalopram but I’m so scared of my anxiety coming back. I just hope I’m doing the right thing as I know I can’t stay on the zopiclone forever.x

• Posted

Hi Gemma I've only just picked this up.Its not easy coming off Zops but you can do it. You are on a small dose anyway so you should be fine. I had so much support on here it really helped.Im 3 months free of Zops and yes I still get anxious occasionally but I meditate and try not to stress about not sleeping. I've gone from 3 hrs s night to 6 and you will too. If I can encourage or support you I will. You will feel amazing when you've done it and that in itself will massively help your anxiety.x

• Posted

Hello Gemma. Yes indeed it will be a struggle but in the end you will feel better than you ever had. I was on Ativan for 20 years, and a lot of people have been on the Zops for a long time. Have faith in yourself and get support even if it is on this forum. It is not uncommon to loose sleep and feel frustrated. It took me about 5 months to get off the Benzo. My doctor of 23 years said I am the best I have been in 23 years. And don't be afraid to tell the close people around you so they understand the mood swings. I hope all of us on this forum can give you the support you need and you can update us whenever you feel needed. This forum was the best thing that happened to me and I hope the same for you. Best of luck just take it a day at a time. Ruby S

• Posted

Thank you, my anxiety has been all over the place these last couple of days and I’ve allowed myself to take a whole tablet at bedtime to deal with this. I don’t know if it’s the adjusting the zopiclone that is affecting my anxiety or if it has been a change in my daily routine. I think I’m just going to have to take it really slow in coming off it, I’m scared but I’m trying not to overthink it. Because my anxiety has flared back up I just wonder if I’m attempting to come off it when I’m going through change in my home life and that I may be better waiting another two months until things settle down then try again. That will mean that I have taken it for around six months and I’m scared I’m only going to make it harder for myself or it may make no difference as ive been on this low dose for four months as it is.x
    • Posted

Hi Gemma there is never a right time to come off Zops. I was on them for 8 months but just decided one day to do it. I'd got so much going on but knew I had to do it. Your life just seems to revolve around insomnia. Once you've decided to do it you will feel so proud of yourself. Good luck

• Posted

Hi hope you are well. 3 and half months off Zops now and sleeping 6 hrs a night sometimes 7. Feel so much better. Hope your sleep is good.
    • Posted

That's brilliant. 31/2 month's Zopiclone free and getting 6-7 hours of ( NATURAL ) Sleep a night.

I remember when you first came into this site seeking advice ( same as everyone else )....

Now you're an inspiration to all the new people coming on to the site that are feeling helpless , full of fear , Anxiety and not knowing that there is people like yourself and many others that can and will help.....

I'm so happy you keep checking in and letting other people where you're at. That's very thoughtful and important. I should be doing g more.

Congratulations ,and keep up the brilliant work you're doing. 🙏🙏🙏

• Posted

Oh my goodness. That is great. I am battling a little too much sleep lately. Sleep over 8 every night and sometimes 10. Really tired lately. Hope it is just the heat here in Arizona. too many days over 110 degrees. I am going to start to take some vitamins and see if that helps. I am so impressed with how you are doing. I think these doctors need to think twice nos before prescribing these drugs. Please keep in touch as always and have a splendid day. Ruby S.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for replying. My sleep is great at the moment I'm so happy.

I hope you are doing okay. I tell people how supportive you've been and Ruby and how you helped me get off Zops

Take care

• Posted

Hi I don't know how you cope with that here. Here in the UK we've had a fab summer but not as hot as those temperatures.

I definitely agree about the docs not prescribing sleeping tabs. The worst 9 months I've ever gone through but feel great now.

Your sleep is brilliant. You never think you are going to get to that point when you can sleep naturally again. I went from zero sleep to 3 hrs a night then 5. Now 6 or 7. Take care xx

• Posted

Hello Nirithes. I have to admit I don't think I could have done it without the help of this forum. Gave me courage and made me feel like I wasn't the only one that needed to get off the Benzos. And Raymond was very helpful too. Makes me understand why they have drug counselors that have been on drugs before. They kinda know more about it than someone who has not been on them. Have a marvelous day as always. Cheers. Ruby S

• Posted

hi nirithies,

really inspired by your story on giving up zopiclone. i stopped them after 21 days use but havent slept properly for a week and took over the counter for 2 days but i dont want to get into that habit. i was taking zopiclone initially at 7.5mg in halves so 3.75x2 and then for 3 days i reduced to 3.75 and then half of that for 2 days and then just stopped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.