Zopiclone withdrawal and diazepam

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi. I've posted before but not about this specifically.

I'm in a real mess with medication and suffering with terrible anxiety and depression.

I've been taking Zopiclone for 6 weeks. Initially 3.75 and it helped but then stopped working. So doc said go up to 7.5. I've been on that for two weeks and barely getting two hours sleep.

Crisis team had put me on diazepam in July as was struggling with adapting to meds which I'm now meant to be reducing to change.

I need off the Zopiclone as I've been dry retching everyday since mid August and increasingly getting metallic and burning sensation in mouth which worsens as the day goes on.

My gp has set up a plan for me to taper off using diazepam. Last night I followed the plan and took 4mg diazepam with 3.75 Zopiclone.

Today I tried to rest and came round in a nightmarish panic with my head burning. 

I tried to stop the Zopiclone cold turkey last week (but using only 4mg diazepam) and ended up in sheer terror on the second night, unable to stay still, with thoughts of self harm, cold numb feet, and the same burning head.

Ended up with an ambulance here and a gp coming out. She said restart the Zopiclone.

But I want off it. 

Questions are:

Am I experiencing withdrawal after just one night on half dose?

Is it going to get better?

Anyone else had those kinds of withdrawals from Zopiclone?

I also need reassurance that upping my diazepam dose to get through this and while I'm sorting out medication (could be months) be ok? I know they're addictive. I'll be on @16mg a day. My gp is supervising and telling me I will eventually get off all this stuff. 

I'm scared. 

1 like, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The first night i stopped i must admit i didnt sleep that well but i noticed the next morning that i had dreams snd this is a good sign.  The second night i started sleeping pretty well and that makes you happy.  You start beginning believing that you do not neef Zopiclone anymore.   
  • Posted

Hi Nicki I take 7.5 Zopiclone every other night and it takes up to 1 hrs to go to sleep and on nights I don't take tablet I stay awake, but since taking zopiclone I feel I have some life, same thing happened to me when I took zopiclone for two weeks in a row, I woke up earlier, headaches other things, I went back to my 7.5 dose every other night again and after few weeks everything went back to normal, the zopiclone isn't bad if used correctly, when you mentioned it wasn't working with two a night I worried it was too much for you I think it would benefit you if to stick to 7.5mg at night and if so try miss a night out if you can, I've tried it, got up 3am and took my tablet as needed to sleep, the next time I tried it, it wasn't too bad. Also if stressed before going to sleep you may wake up or longer to go to sleep. But when problem is resolved your 7.5 zopiclone should go back to sleeping, daily life can affect how you sleep tonight,, just advise on what I'm doing and I'm happy, and I hope you feel a balance soon, I found sticking to something works it helps day to day, doctors offered other things but I've trusted in zopiclone and I won't mix it too take higher amounts as then it becomes complicated, I think you should stick to one think and you will feel rested. Hope I don't sound like mother hen lol. I do worry about other people and I am hoping joining this group will be encouragment to others,, help is out there, and talking to people going what your going through could help people to have life, anyway sorry long mesg, hope you OK

• Posted

I was addicted to Zopi for 7yrs, abusing them at times - but mostly just taking them to get to sleep every night  (I was getting some from docs/some online)... I have now been clean for 7 months.

Firstly I would say taking Zopi causes anxiety.  I never suffered anxiety before I took Zopi, I was prescribed them because I was stressed and using alcohol to help me to sleep... I suffered terrible anxiety when I was using them... but I haven't suffered any anxiety since I managed to kick the addiction, which is most definitely physical.

During the 7yr addiction I did manage to abstain on two occasions for 2-3months - but ended up back in the same boat.

Firstly, in my case I needed to make life changes which I firmly believe are the reason I've not relapsed in the past 7 months, but I did on previous occasions.  I have a stressful job and my relationship with my wife was destructive.  For me, I can now see the only way to stay off these things is to deal with the issues which put you on them in the first place, easy to say but I only know my own circumstances.  I tried counselling, even spent two stints in private rehab... but nothing resolved my issues.  In the end I had to end my relationship of 15yrs.

Once I did that, and dealt with the subsequent effects (things definitely got worse before they got better)... I was able to tackle my physical addiction to Zopi.  

Don't go cold turkey, thats dangerous.  Not surprised you ended up in an ambulance.  I went cold turkey one time and was awake for 4days straight, before on the final night being sat in bed at 2am hallucinating, feeling like I was about to die... you can suffer seizures through the cold turkey approach.

Once I had my life sorted out, exercise was the thing which pretty much did the job.  I'm no gym bunny, I'm an overweight middle aged man... but I went to the gym as often as possible, and when work would allow I would make sure I was at home by 5.30pm so I could eat dinner in order to go to the gym at 9pm (it closed at 10)... walking there and back.

I found wearing myself out physically overtook the mental issues which were blighting my mind when I went to bed.  So this along with a steady reduction of dosage over 2wks and I that was it.  I also got a free app on my phone called "sleepy sounds" coupled with meditation breathing (I learn't at the rehab clinic) would stop my mind spinning round and keeping me awake.

Good luck.  Just one other thing, I don't know if you drink at all, doesn't matter if its a little or a lot... alcohol and zopi is a real deep hole you want to stay out of.  The effects can be felt even if you don't use them on the same day.

• Posted

Thanks for your story Bal. sounds horrendous but you're out of it and working towards a positive place.

I have an illness called ME which means I'm unable to exercise or hardly walk. Part of the problem.

I don't drink, achieved sobriety over 4 years ago. Which is partly why I feel in a hole now as I'm on addictive meds.

I am scared and know I need to take it slow to get off things. I'm just so stuck. 

• Posted

Hi Nikki you are not stuck you are going to take it slow.Taper off the zoo's at your pace.I have to say when you are desperate you will take anything however you were being given so many different types all with side effects it was hard to say what was helping and what wasn't.Sometimes less is a lot better.Get off the zops.Try not to overuse the diazepam only if absolutely necessary.Don't think any further than today and you will get there in the end.

• Posted

Thank you Marleen. You're tapering off diazepam aren't you?

Are you ok to share a bit of your story? Like when did you know you were at a place to get off them, what were you taking and how's it going? Are you still on any anti depressants?

My GP and mental health team want me to taper v slowly off the escitalopram as I'd been on that since 2011. They want me to try upping the Mirtazipine again then. Which I hated but it could have been worsened when I tried it in July by having v quickly stopped escitalopram and pregabalin.

I just want to feel engaged in the world again. I'm in a fog. Can't focus on tv or anything enjoyable.

I'm meant to be using diazepam to get through all of this and my dose has gone up from one or two a day to five or six and maybe a bit more. Gp said I could go up to eight a day!! 

• Posted

Awe Nikki l don't trust doctors at all.l was a nurse for over 20 years.l am on Effexor which is about the best of a bad lot.l plan once I get off valium to get off it as well.l have GAD have it for over 20 plus years.l was put on diazepam 10 years ago for sleep.l noticed ànxiety, agitation everything getting worse and worse l couldn't work out what was wrong nothing seemed to help.Depression really kicked in.They tried me on numerous different antidepressants with no relief.Then l started to research and saw that all my symptoms fitted with diazepam tolerance and withdrawal.l decided them to get off them.l am tapering very slowly on my own but l would be a liar if l said it was easy.It has taken me 3 months to get down from 7.5mgs to 5mgs.l take it a day at a time and if it takes me a year l will get there.You will to.Don't keep looking back and don't look too far into the future.Just a day at a time.

• Posted

Amazing story Marleen. How far into using diazepam did you notice tolerance and how much were you on?

You're doing incredibly well. It has to be done slowly doesn't it.

I can't help thinking how will I know if an anti depressant is working if I'm on diazepam too?! 

I've been wondering if my issue is akasthesia which seemed to have kicked off last summer for whatever reason. If I'm right, I'm on a hiding to nothing with the mix of meds I'm on! 

• Posted

I think after about 3 months maybe even before that l took it at night just to get to sleep at 7 or 8 mgs.l kept thinking l am not addicted as l didn't use it during the day or go up in dosage or crave it sadly that's not the way it works.l know what you mean about your drugs how you are going to know what works is impossible to know.l would advise take it a drug at a time and don't let them rush you.l know this is not their advice but l would get off the Zops then the valium.l know that is scary but in my mind that would be a best way to do it.

• Posted

Thanks Marleen. Did you take it for ten years?

I'm just trying to gauge if I can keep it going for a couple more months before tapering. 

• Posted

I did Nikki you can become addictedf after a month.My advice is keep your dose as low as you can.Doctors don't seem to understand how hard it is to get off these drugs.Again only use it sparingly if you can.Don't overthink it at the minute just get off the Zops for now.

• Posted

Having a horrible day.

3rd day without zopiclone, 2nd day on mirtazipnie and took half of a adivan.

I'm not sure which one I might be withdrawling from or if it's the mirtazapine. This is crazy, the worst thing I could have done is googled benzo withdrawl..... Now I'm terrified to go through it. I've been on 1mg/day adivan for over 3 weeks. I'm I screwed or what... IDK

• Posted

Mike, I'm in the same boat. Not even got off the 3.75 yet as such a nervous wreck. Told to keep taking the diazepam to get through but it's a benzo too and I've googled all that as well and scared myself silly. I've been on 4mg a day diazepam since July and it's going up to 8-10mg (as told to by gp and reassured there's nothing to worry about) just to get off Zopiclone and exist while tapering Escitalopram which I've been on since 2011.

You could be getting side effects from starting Mirtazipine? 

• Posted

Nikki and Mike stop googling you will scare yourselves silly there is nothing achieved by it.Does it matter if it's withdrawal or not.Take it a day at a time and sit on a dose of zop for a few weeks until the withdrawal symptoms level off.Mike you shouldn't be stopping a med while while starting another.Again just take it a day at a time and don't panic.

• Posted

I could only tolerate up to 100mg and when I tried to raise it, i experienced severe restlessness and anxiety. So my gp added in Mirtazipine so I was on escitalopram, pregabalin and Mirtazipine for a while which was fine but my gp thought I should try to come off everything apart from the Mirtazipine. Which is when my last three months of hell started. 

My gp did ask if I wanted to try it again. 

• Posted

Oh God Nikki I have to say they are throwing everything at you drugs wise l am not surprised you are all over the place.Have you anyone at home with you for support.
    • Posted

I know. I'm in my own and have a 14 year old son to look after. I also have ME which means I'm housebound on top of being housebound with the medication effects. I feel there's no hope only worse to come. How am I going to get to a better place? I'm starting to taper off escitalopram so as to try the Mirtazipine upping again while stuck on the Zopiclone 3.75 and told to take diazepam to cope. If I don't take it I don't get any sleep (I only get two hours at night with the zop and diazepam 4mg) and my muscles stop working. I'd go into rehab but I have my son and no money for it and rehan involves activity which my body won't allow. What do I do Maureen? The last time I tried 30mg Mirtazipine I stuck it three weeks and was so restless and anxious and couldn't eat. The only other option they've given me is to go straight onto Zoloft after coming off Escitalopram and going straight onto that stopping the 15mg Mirtazipine immediately. 

Will I get through this? 

• Posted

Awe Nikki l know you are in despair l can see that.Have you no family near you or friends.l am a single parent and my daughter is now 19.It is really hard to keep going but you will always find a way you have to.You will get through this l know it doesn't feel like that now but you weren't always as bad as this.Nothing ever stays the same.You will get through this and you will be a lot stronger than you were.l don't know why they are increasing mirt when the effect wasn't good before.l think you need to find out why they are doing that.Also start to question them a bit more about what they are planning to do.Try to be a bit more proactive in your care l know you are feeling very vulnerable however it is not always better to sit back and let them make all the decisions.

• Posted

Thank you Marleen. They said about the mirt as I was feeling so desperate to get on one anti depressant and start improving they said I could try it again.

But it was awful and I don't know what else will work.

I have to taper the escitalopram as they feel it stopped working last year. Then I can't bear the thought of just stopping the Mirtazipine and starting something new (withdrawals and start up) but it's the only way if I'm not going to try the Mirtazipine any higher. 

I am talking to my gp everyday and telling him what I need and want and the mental health team. Trouble is I don't know what's right for me. 

Did you manage to care for your daughter going through everything and how did you keep going? 

What med are you on now? 

• Posted

I had to l have no support at all and when my daughter was 15 due to a family trauma which affected us all terribly she developed severe depression which led to anorexia nervosa.She attempted suicide 3 times and l had to watch her 24 hours a day for 3 months.Then she was detained in a mental health institution for 6 months.She is now thriving.You have the strength to cope you will get through this.l am on Effexor l don't know if it helps a lot as l say l will stay on it until l get off the valium.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.