Zopiclone withdrawal and diazepam

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi. I've posted before but not about this specifically.

I'm in a real mess with medication and suffering with terrible anxiety and depression.

I've been taking Zopiclone for 6 weeks. Initially 3.75 and it helped but then stopped working. So doc said go up to 7.5. I've been on that for two weeks and barely getting two hours sleep.

Crisis team had put me on diazepam in July as was struggling with adapting to meds which I'm now meant to be reducing to change.

I need off the Zopiclone as I've been dry retching everyday since mid August and increasingly getting metallic and burning sensation in mouth which worsens as the day goes on.

My gp has set up a plan for me to taper off using diazepam. Last night I followed the plan and took 4mg diazepam with 3.75 Zopiclone.

Today I tried to rest and came round in a nightmarish panic with my head burning. 

I tried to stop the Zopiclone cold turkey last week (but using only 4mg diazepam) and ended up in sheer terror on the second night, unable to stay still, with thoughts of self harm, cold numb feet, and the same burning head.

Ended up with an ambulance here and a gp coming out. She said restart the Zopiclone.

But I want off it. 

Questions are:

Am I experiencing withdrawal after just one night on half dose?

Is it going to get better?

Anyone else had those kinds of withdrawals from Zopiclone?

I also need reassurance that upping my diazepam dose to get through this and while I'm sorting out medication (could be months) be ok? I know they're addictive. I'll be on @16mg a day. My gp is supervising and telling me I will eventually get off all this stuff. 

I'm scared. 

1 like, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I did because I had to Nikki and you will too.I think you would be better trying something new.l am on Effexor it's ok however getting on and off it is horrific.I have written you a more in-depth piece however it is being moderated.

• Posted

Thanks, I see that. 

Yes, if I'm going to try Zoloft I have to continue tapering Escitalopram over two weeks then stop it for a week, stop Mirtazipine and start zoloft. 

Shall I stop worrying about having to use diazepam to get through the journey? I had to take one at 4, first one today but will take tonight to help with Zopiclone taper.

Do you think once I'm on one antidepressant to go forward, I'll be able to tell if it's working despite still being on diazepam? 

• Posted

Well done Nikki you haven't overused the valium today.You will be able to tell.Keep going with the reduction and then when you stabilise on the new antidepressant start on the valium.You definitely have this.Don't Google withdrawal anymore everyone is different so there is no point.

• Posted

Thank you. So much. Your insight and support is priceless. Please keep in touch x
    • Posted

Will do Nikki try to see how strong you are and that you are keeping going with everything that you are going through.You should be proud of yourself.
    • Posted

Marleen I just read your reply from over a week ago that was being moderated. What a traumatic time and how strong you are to get your daughter through that.

I wanted to message you but can't see how to. 

I am now off the Zopiclone and am tapering the Escitalopram still. I'm wondering whether to start on the diazepam once I'm off the escitalopram. I am very unhappy using diazepam. Is there ANYTHING that helps with diazepam tapering? I am on 6-10mg a day now since getting off the Zopiclone. I go as long as I can without taking one but the restlessness deep inside is so painful. I don't know if it's akasthesia or withdrawals from escitalopram and zop?

My gp prescribed me phenargan to try for sleep so I can reduce the diazepam a bit but I see the side effects of that can be akasthesia and twitching and involuntary muscle movements.

Any advice? Message me if easier. Nikki 

• Posted

Hi Nikki well done getting off the Zops and the antidepressant you are really doing well.Get established on your antidepressant regime and when it settles down tackle the diazepam.Keep it as low as you can.As for phenergan l took it once and didn't like it.It made me very shaky.l have just been given propranolol for the physical symptoms of withdrawal from diazepam.l will use it if completely necessary.l really don't want to add a drug into the mix.You have done so well since your last post keep going.My daughter is my inspiration she has overcome so much and I am so proud of her.

• Posted

Thank you Marleen.

I am in a terrible state. I cannot sit or lie still. Nothing seems to stop it. I've taken 10mg diazepam since last night and during today and cannot sleep or stop. I am twitching and moving constantly. I've been thinking I have akasthesia and don't know what to do. This has been getting worse and worse since all this started and today is by far the worst. My head is racing. 

I'm tapering escitalopram and think this is either withdrawal or akasthesia induced by it. I don't know what to do. 

• Posted

I honestly think it's withdrawal from both the medications l know it is horrible but it will peak and then it will decrease.l know your mind will jump around to the worst possible thing that is what withdrawal is like.Have you decided what you are doing on the antidepressant front yet?

• Posted

Thank you Marleen. I'm finding it hard to do anything including eat.

No idea what to do re medication. I've yet to stop the escitalopram and am still on Mirtazipine which gives me two hours sleep in all this as it's a low dose 15mg. 

I either try Mirtazipine again or try Sertraline by stopping both escitalopram and Mirtazipine. 

I'm terrified of being stuck with this thing that feels like akasthesia. Have you had it withdrawing from diazepam?

Have you experienced this kind of internal restlessness? 

• Posted

I have had it coming off any antidepressant l have been on and also when l noticed Diazepam tolerance.Get waves of it during diazepam reductions.l can't sit still and it is definitely agitation caused by the drugs.Try to hold on to that.

• Posted

Listen Nikki I have the whole family coming for dinner and l have a lot of cooking to do.Try to remember this will pass and l will check in with you later in the week..
    • Posted

Ok thank you Marleen.

I am feeling a bit reassured by what you've said. I'm getting the brain zaps too which tells me it is withdrawals.

I appreciate your time. I hope dinner goes well. X

• Posted

Hi Nikki how is it going?
    • Posted

Hi Marleen, I stopped the escitalopram and so am down to diazepam and Mirtazipine low dose.

My GP wants me off the diazepam before it goes on any longer and before trying any other ssris. So I'm to start my taper. 

I've been on the three months, the last two weeks averaging 7mg a day...

Any advice appreciated... 

• Posted

Well done Nikki amazing achievement.Is your doctor good.lf so tell him you want to drop down very slowly.The good thing is you haven't been on them too long and you haven't been taking very high doses.What does he want to do?

• Posted

I'm starting on 7mg a day. He seems to think I'll drop 1mg a week (which I now is minimum according to Ashton), but I think it'll be flexible. 

I am scared!! 

• Posted

Nikki there is no point in being scared l think 1 mg every 2 or 3 weeks until you get to 5 mgs then half a mg from below 5.It is like anything else if you have bad withdrawals just sit on that dose for longer.Everyone is different so take control of your taper and listen to what your brain is telling you.
    • Posted

Ok.

I wondering if the escitalopram withdrawal is going to hit too. I had come off it for a month then it was reinstated at 10mg in August, then tapered on 5mg for ten days then stopped yesterday.

Do you use tablets or liquid diazepam? And do you spread your doses evenly through the day?

• Posted

I hope your antidepressant should be ok as the taper seems to be slow enough.No l am on tablets l divide 2 mgs am working down to 4 and a half at the moment.l will sit on that for 2 or 3 weeks.l only take it in the morning.l probably should divide it up over the day but l don't want to do that.

• Posted

Good luck Nikki I will be in touch to see how you are getting on.You will be grand.Take it a day at a time.
    • Posted

Thank you for all your advice and support. I'm a recovered alcoholic (a few years) and this feels harder. I never wanted to be on diazepam to start with (like all of us). I'm hoping I can deal with the physical, mental and emotional difficulties. I'm housebound with ME and it's just me and my son. I wish I could get out for exercise but I can't. I'm an artist and want my creativity back as it's gone due to all these drugs! X

• Posted

Hi Nikki just seeing how it is going.Get at the art work again even if it rubbish at the moment it will give you a focus.Exercise is good however keeping your mind occupied is more important.Won't be on long so drop me an update please.

• Posted

I only just saw this Marleen.

I had to reinstate the 5mg escitalopram. Too many changes over the months caught up with me. Been three weeks without changes and sitting on the escitalopram, 15mg Mirtazipine and 6mg diazepam. Waiting to stabilise before diazepam taper. 

Have had a severe withdrawal from my Zopiclone ct . 

Akathisia has been horrific but it's all stabilising now. 

Not been able to do much art other than doodles but better than nothing. 

• Posted

I think you are doing the right thing.Give your brain a rest for a while.l am down to 4 mgs been on this dose for 2 weeks am being slammed with lots of withdrawal symptoms so am going to sit on this dose for a while hopefully it will settle down.Glad you are doodling at least keep it up.
    • Posted

Thanks Marleen. My nerves are so shot! The slightest challenge that's not even a big challenge just sets me off. I just cancelled my psychiatrist appointment next week as they wanted me to start new meds and I just can't face any more changes. I don't know what the future holds but I hope I can stabilise and learn to handle stress, anxiety and depression. I can't even imagine trying to taper diazepam. I hope I can one day. What sort of cuts are you making? You've got down to a much lower dose. Well done. I hope you level out soon.  

Do you get the agitation? 

I've even got nerve pain in my teeth! 

• Posted

Nikki just take this all at your own pace.l have cut half a mg every couple of weeks however I am holding for a while as the withdrawal symptoms are getting out of hand.Dizziness, headache, waves of nausea, muscle pain and waves of panic.l think l have pushed to hard so l am going to have a break for a while.l know we will get there in the end.lt is horrendous but we just have to be patient and survive until things start to improve.Give your brain a bit longer before you get back into the new medication.
    • Posted

Sounds very tough Marleen. Yes hold as long as you need to. Was thinking cutting an eighth a tablet a month but that'd take four years! Take good care and you will stabilise. 

• Posted

Nikki reduce a small amount to start with and sit on it for a couple of weeks.See how it goes.Trust me there is no right way to do anything.It is doing it whatever way makes it manageable.Speak soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.