Zoplicone and lorazepam taper is ruining me

Posted , 7 users are following.

15 years of building up to 15 mg of Zopliclone and 5 mg of lorazapam at night to sleep. DR retired with no help to get off these. Tried cold turkey and blood pressure, saddness , anxiety for the first time in my life almost killed me. I read the Ashton method but cant find a new Dr. that buy it. I go to a public clinic 4 weeks now on 55 mg of valium a night. I have not slept and a complete zombie, cant work or drive, cant eat, i need to gain weight its to long lasting was told its a year taper , i cant be a zombie for a year. Im worried about GABA and PAWS. I was thinking about keep trying to find a family Dr and switch to original meds and taper one fifth at a time as they are shorter lived, you cant cure 15 years in a few months . Thoughts? appreciated .

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Would it be possible for you to find a physchiatrist? Might be better able to guide you in this predicament your in. The Ashton method is wonderful.

• Posted

I asked for that, I was referred. Its a 3 month wait . Im # 82 on the cancellation list. In Canada they recently realized benzos were over prescribed and are a problem.

• Posted

Oh no.! 3 months is a long time when you need help.!

• Edited

my doctor retired also,was on alprazolam 10 years,went to 2 doctors that wanted to taper what i felt was too fast,found a third one,so far,and I'm saying so far,she has been great at allowing a slow taper,with the Corona virus I am going to see if she will hold at my current dose,my anxiety has gone way up since the virus and I can't imagine having any withdrawal if i was one of the unfortunate ones to catch the virus...

• Posted

You are a lucky one. I am calling and seeing every dr accepting new patients, i even have my pharmasist of 20 years willing to talk to any family dr about my scrips and trying to wean. That virus is dangerous, Toronto is starting to get bad. Especially walking in multiple doctors offices. I just want to be listened too and helped.

• Edited

i hope you will find a doctor that will listen to you and help you to taper at your own speed. Good luck.

• Posted

i will find out tommorow if a dr i found will taper me off just adivan and imovaine. He said he would do it for a year, hoping its not another brush off . He wants to talk to my compound pharmacy first to see if they are ok with lowering my dose a tenth at a time and willing to tell him my meds for 15 years , they have no problem . I have been going to this small pharmacy for 15 years and have helped me try to find someone. Was your taper on just the benzo you took? or were others added?

• Posted

sorry replied to wrong person i think, sleep deprived.

• Edited

Hi Kathy,

I am post benzo 2 years now. I took about 9 months to wean off trazodone and clonazepam. It's been a very rough road, but most important to remember that it is doable.

I was lucky enough to have a doctor that allowed me to do as slow a taper as |I wanted. I would actually tell him if I wanted to slow it down.Not that |I knew what was right. I just had to go with my gut feelings.

I did suffer protracted withdrawal. I could go from a window to a wave walking from one room into another. BUT, as I said, it is doable. Time and patience are most important.

I wish you the very best in finding a doctor who will help you. Keep investigating that.

I live just outside of Toronto.

• Edited

Thank you for the support. I know my body and trying to do it at my pace so i am able to return to my clients . My body isnt responding to valium its not for everyone regardless what someone else thinks. Im not giving up, i live outside toronto too and its hard to find one that understands

as the crackdown from The collage of physicians has happened.

• Posted

Why do you feel youre not responding to Valium.

• Posted

Dizziness 24/7, cant go to the gym 14 hours after taking fell of treadmill walking , no appetite, have to force myself to drink water. Cant use washroom

lack of memory, anxiety , will talk and forget in the middle of the sentence what i was talking about. Dull brain . Dont sleep, restless, nightmares. I used to get up at 7 have one coffee and work all day and gym. I have my coffee and cant drive, worried im going to hurt someone . Adivan has a short half life, 6-10 hours so did Imovain. Valium has a 15-20 hour short life. Its to long lasting and i have besides these pills lead a very healthy lifestyle. I know my body, but for the longer life thats all they will give me. aggg . Took me 30 minutes to text this

• Edited

Just hoping you can get to a doctor that can get you out if this mess. Sounds like Canada is much worse than the U.S. in regards to mental health. You might consider going to the emergency room at your local hospital. Not eating or drinking is an emergency. Keep us posted.

• Edited

hi kathy i would avoid pyschiatrists if possible, from experience they dont recognise withdrawal symptoms they will say u have depression or anxiety and give u meds to treat it and they dont help. they made me feel worse. the only way out is slow taper x it is horrific but there are lots of people who have done it. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.