Back pain and IBS

Posted , 104 users are following.

I've recently been diagnosed with IBS after a bad bout of what I thought was trapped wind. The symptoms listed in various articles seem to bear this diagnosis out. However, nothing much is said about back pain. My IBS spasms start with bad back pain which then spreads round the right side to the front (I think it's called the epigastrium).

It mainly starts in the evenings and can end as abruptly as it starts for no apparent reason, leaving me feeling pretty tired. Otherwise I go and lie down and it eventually eases off.

Does anyone else get this with IBS?

13 likes, 153 replies

153 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

im glad to have read these comments....i definatly think im suffering with ibs, i also get unbelievable pain in my right flank area most nights, more so painfull a week before i get my period?? that relieves when i lay down with a hot water bottle on the painfull area, or if i pass wind, or go to the toilet, the pain comes in waves, that i can only describe as feeling like labour pains, 3 times so far, the pain has gone into my right flank area, and was constant, not in waves any more, i got rushed into hospital with suspected kidney stones and pumped full of morphine to stop the pain, and sent home with no diagnosis, and after numerous tests, scans and x-rays, they cannot find anything wrong with me, i hear ibs is hard for a doctor to diagnose?? im back in hospital this wednesday, i have taken notes form this forum, and will be telling him, i seriously think i have ibs.......
    • Posted

Hi Zebedee, i know you posted this last year.. but i was searching for symptoms similar to mine.. have you been diagnosed with IBS finally? did the doctors also test you for Ovarian cancer. Please let me know how you are and what you did to releive symptoms. 
    • Posted

Hi

I have only been diagnosed with IBS a few months ago and i did not know back pain was part of the problem.

I have had a really dull ache in my lower back for over  a week now and a bloated abdomen. Looking on this site i realize the back pain its quite common

• Posted

Hello zebedee, I have been having several of the same symptoms as you and am also worried about ovarian cancer from these symptoms and other symptoms I've also been experiencing . I was wondering if you have figured out what you are experiencing ? Thank you ??.

• Posted

Hello, i am still sufferig same sumptoms with severe abdomen and back pain, all the way ti my legs, MRI , blood test, endo, eco dis not show anything, did you find any solution?
  • Posted

My pain seems to be moving round my body during the current bout. It's covered the lower back/pelvis area, my RH side, the upper back/shoulder blades, and epigastrium with trapped wind feeling. Have also been finding that lying down in bed triggers the need to open bowels, which is a new one for me.

On this occasion I'm blaming gardening. Have been doing an awful lot of it recently, with much bending and stretching which seems to put pressure on and irritate the bowel. Also think I aggravated it by stretching & weight exercises at the gym. Last week I was able to rest up a lot and it went off but as soon as I went back to the exercise class, back it came.

Being anxious about it makes it worse too.

• Posted

LISTEN UP FOR SOME GOOD ADVICE

I suffered from IBS for last 12 years.

My problems started around 6 months after of getting food poisoning but this was also a very stressful period in my life, so the exact cause is not known.

Trust me, diet changes are rarely the answer for curing IBS. Eating little but more often is best as the bowel seems to get more distressed when eating more volume of food. Of course a better diet will make you generally feel good over time and eating less processed foods is best anyway.

I can eat a curry and be fine or just a glass of water will set it off. However, some foods may trigger it more often when in a period of IBS and if you notice one in partiular then avoid. If anything boiled potatoes are less reactive. Often it rarely is one food type. When the stomach feels fine you can eat anything and it will not trigger it.

It is a mystery illness that seems to be triggered for no apparent reason.

I believe its basis is in stress related or psychological changes. Some chemicals in the brain related to mood, Seratonin are also present in the gut to regulate function. The spasms or cramps are due to the muscles in the gut not working properly. But the direct cause is not known by the medical profession.

Anxiety, stress or worry will make it worse.

Pain symptons start with cramps in stomach, bloating and enlarged abdomen. You may feel pain, ache and tenderness in the lumber or upper back region. In fact both front and rear of the trunk feels affected by IBS but generally go when the IBS is subdued. You may have problems disgesting food with wind at both ends. Passing wind and emptying the bowels seems to help with cramps. I also notice my saliva is very frothy. Faeces are with muscus and not well formed. You can feel tired and fatigued during bouts.

All of these symptons disappear when IBS is subdued.

Sometimes excercise will also bring on the onset of IBS.

Dont eat much when you have bad IBS. It only triggers the worse symptoms and you lose the nutition through diarrhea. Only problem I have I that I eat only once a day now through habit and have lost weight but feel tired a lot. Psycologically I have no confidence in eating much food.

I have found Meberevine 135mg or trade name Colofac will subside the bloating and cramps and most associated trunk pain. This works very very well! However, you are never far away from the next bout.

Eating less but more often helps and more than likely you can monitor your own triggers and adjust accordingly. It just very worrying when you dont know what it is.....and the doctors piss about diagnosing it. They are USELESS!

**I have been still taking mebrevine but for the last 6 months & IBS free apart from one bout. I have been carefree, going out drinking, eating fast food, staying out late and been fine. So my guess its more stress than anything.

• Posted

I don't know if you check your post but if you are reading this thank you for being so thorough you really have gone into detail and covered several of my symptoms that I was looking to confirm were it's symtoms.

I am getting severe right back pain that radiates through to my abdomen and bloating. Occasionally aching all over my abdomen and then a boutique of severe tiredness.

My doctor says it's doesn't cause back pain but so many people on here have said it does!! I have had ultrasound scans cat scans liver and kidney blood tests stool sample tests for inflammation and blood tests for inflammation hepatitis and vitamin D deficiency and I was low on vit d which was sorted but the pains got worse. No I have had all the blood tests again and I am booked in for an MRI scan doctors thinking I may have arthritis of the spine.

They said if this shows up no problems like all the other tests then I will have to learn to live with the pain by going to a pain psycologist but I won't as I want to know what the pain is not just live with it.

After reading your post I am now 99% certain it's IBS and maybe this will make me less stressed about symtoms and therefore ease the IBS

Thanks again

• Posted

Do you believe any stress relieving methods such as acupuncture could help at all?
  • Posted

If IBS has some physiological basis then I cannot see acupuncture working. It needs a medical cure or treatment. However it is so widespread but no single identifying cause is attributed to it.

I have tried all the fibre bulking agents, linseeds and general advice..........and staying up late, sedentry life and drinking has seemed to help! I had a huge fried chinese meal the other week and not a problem for weeks. Work that out?.....so maybe it is neurologically linked between stress hormones. Flight or flight syndrome possibly?

So if it is based on that then any treatment, alernative remedies, maybe yoga or accupuncture or whatever that convinces the mind all is restful then why not.

People are looking for a one fix solution without knowing what causes it. All I know is mebrevine relieves the symptoms very well.

• Posted

yeh I was initially put on mebeverine and it helped for a while then my symptoms worsened again so i'm now on colpermin peppermint oil capsules but again although they worked initially I seem to be getting worse again so I was wondering if all me worrying about what i'm eating and how it will make me feel could be causing some symptoms ... it's all so complicated but i'm finding it hard to go out and do much at the moment only recently I had to leave a meal with the girls as I got bad cramps after eating and had to go to the loo sad
  • Posted

Yup they started me on colpermin too, didnt do a thing...except make the loo smell nice!

Watch colpermin, make sure it swallowed and not crunched that peppermint oil is quite strong outside of the gut. Try both maybe?

Of course a stressful worry of "will my ibs effect my evening out" is a worry.....and that adds to the anxiety. The cramps are painful and debilitating I know.

Just eating less and try to relax, take the meds and hope.

Dont expect a fix on the nhs as the docs are only worried about the £160,000 lump sum and £60k a year pension.....i feel sorry for them having to deal with the dreggs like me.

I complained about the attitude of my doctor for accepting it so long without investigation........ I said I expect my condition to be taken seriously and if not I will complain. She replied "Complain, I dont really care. Do it." I find this totally unprofessional. If a person responsible for my health has this manner, I do not feel I am being adequately given due care.

• Posted

That's definitely not on! I'm thinking about changing my doctor too as i don't feel he is taking me seriously!

Thank you for the advice it's good to know i'm not the only one feeling like this i've been so emotional with all this at the moment i'm running out of people to cry on haha I'll try both tablets and making sure these ones are intact smile thank you xx

• Posted

Oh loads suffer in silence from it but some peoples stomachs are more sensitive to it so obviously want a satisfactory solution. You arent alone but thats no help at 2am sitting on the loo in pain.

Personally I think its anxiety attack for the stomach hence they cannot prove it. Some antidepressants relieve it....so I think I am on the right track.

Or all these chemicals on/in the food are having a reaction with the immune system in certain prone to it.

Plus I am ugly, so that makes me feel even worse...Bwhahaha lol

• Posted

Hello, i am still sufferig same sumptoms with severe abdomen and back pain, all the way to my legs, MRI , blood test, endo, eco did not show anything,

I cannot sleep at night, just sit in the bed wating to het maximun tired,

I cannot stand too much due to my back pain and it is progressing to my middle and upper back

• Posted

im now sure mine is stress related. i havent had too much strress or worries since xmas and its gone. ill let you know if it comes back with  next worry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.