2 weeks post-op, help!

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi guys. I'm 22 and exactly 2 weeks ago today, I had a LTHR. I am in a lot of pain because I stopped taking the given pain killers because they caused awful constipation. Any suggestions on other strong ones I can take that don't have that side effect? I'm in so much pain that neither: sitting, standing nor laying is comfortable. Any advice on positions to comfortably sleep and sit? I'd really appreciate anyone's advice. This is driving me insane and I've had many operations before, so its not like I'm not used to pain.

Thank you for reading!

Have a blessed day!

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I have problems with constipation and take meds twice daily. As you can imagine this was a major concern for me

When I had my TLHR my doctor advised taking a Dulcolax pill each time I took a pain pill. It worked like clock work! There are also a few tea brands on the market for a smooth move.

Best of luck,

Kristen

• Posted

Ah I'll definitely look up that pill. The liquid laxative they offered me did absolutely nothing. How far down the recovery road are you? Is your pain at all lessening?

I really wish you a speedy recovery.

Thank you for your response Kristen!

• Posted

personally for me i kinda slept in an upright position but this didnt help with the swelling, i could not do without any meds at 2 weeks and the lactulose worked for me, i was also drinking lots of water and eating lots of veg soups. Im 6 weeks post op and i think i stopped the meds around 5 weeks. I hope

you get some resolvement soon and yes there was a point for me where i couldnt settle anywhere, even now sitting not a comfortable positon. wish you well.

• Posted

Honestly, reading this is the only thing that has made me smile a little. So the pain settles around week 5? I tried sleeping upright and I could not do it. I lay with pillows under my leg/knee. Please tell me you are finally at least able to lay or sit a bit more comfortably. I'm wishing you a really good recovery.

Thank you for responding!

• Posted

gosh, everyone recovers differently i did do alot of pilates pre op. Where i am now i didnt think was possible and i did over do the walking at around week3/4 and had immense pain in the groin, scaled it back and seemed to have worked. I couldnt sleep ... pillows everywhere haha, still find it uncomfortable but not as bad. keep positive, take the meds and do the physio. wish you well .

• Posted

Try magnesium oxide, this is the old go to for constipation and it is okay to take a little extra if needed. I did not have any pain after hip at all so cannot help with that.

• Posted

I'm happy you didn't have any pain, its a tough spot. I'll definitely try that.

Thank you so much for responding!

• Posted

stay on those pain meds and take myralax. one dose a day mixed with a juice or drink if your choice. i like it with juice.

After you are regular take a half dose daily. it will take two days.

• Posted

How long were you on the pain killers for? The thought of taking them is already making me anxious. Is myralax available in the UK?

Thank you so much for responding!

• Posted

As the others say constipation is sadly one of the side effects of the opiod painkillers, I wish I knew the answer as I really did not find a good laxative to help. Luckily the pain was not too bad so I just took Tylenol/paracetamol.

• Posted

I'm very glad to know your pain wasn't too bad, it's an awful thing to deal with. Thank you for responding!

• Posted

Hi! Keep taking the pain meds and get a box of Laxido to help soften your stools. Can be gotten on prescription or bought over the counter at the pharmacy. I had to take 4 sachets a day for a few days, then ease off and start all over again.

I am now week 5 post op and only now easing off on the pain meds.

• Posted

i restarted the pain killers last nigh and, already, I'm having trouble. I'll go to my pharmacy today for those laxatives.

Good luck with your recovery .

Thank you for your response!

• Posted

hi I had THR 2 days ago and am taking dulcolax as Ive had the constipation problem before. I only take 1 tablet every other day and within 2 to 3 days it works quite gently but effectively. If you are feeling really constipated then u can take up to 2 tablets every day. Depends how your body responds x

• Posted

i think I'll have to go for two times a day.

Good luck with your recovery!

Thank you for responding!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.