2 weeks with Pityriasis rosea & what i used amazed even

Posted , 22 users are following.

like many other people i witnessed this horrible rash which is so itchy and at first i thought it was an allergic reaction after going to the doctors he informed me it was Pityriasis rosea, which i had never heard off anyone he gave me some caneston to apply 3 times aday which did help but not alot... I went back to another doctor and she informed me to wash with ANTI DANDRUFF SHAMPOO yes i also thought you have to be joking me but she said it had something in it which helped she told me max time for this to go could be 3 months if not more !!

so off the boots bought the biggest bottle off head and shoulders and off home i went !!

Well i know this might not work for everyone but after washing my body for 5 days with JUST with anti dandruff shampoo and adding the cream 3 times aday has amazed me they have nearly all gone i can hardly see any of them now i just thought i would tell others to see if this also can help you as it has me,..... i know many people cant seem to get rid of it but its worth a try it reallt does work !!! good luck !!

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have had PR for almost 3 weeks and just read about the HeadnShoulders idea. I have been taking milk thistle for a week now and started to wash with Selsun-Blue. I just noticed tonight that the spots on my stomach and back are starting to dry a bit. My only concern is that a spot appeared just below my eyebrow and it has started to itch in that area a lot more (making me think more are to follow). I have a bunch in my hair and I think some are going to start on my forhead as well. I have been using cream (hydrocortisone) from the doctor, for the one above my eye, and to be honest, calamine lotion works better.

For everyone who has it, try the anti-dandruff shampoo idea, and take luke warm showers. I would reccomend an immune booster as well.

• Posted

I have also been diagnosed with Pityriasis Rosea. Did anyone elses top of head have a slight burning sensation? Well mine does every now and again. I want to be reassured as I am only a teen smile thanks x
  • Posted

Hi. So this really is a common thing!! lol

Nearly 2 weeks ago, I had a really sore throat, so painful, I found it difficult to swallow. I also had a red bump around my groin area. Soon after, I had loads of little red itchy spots appear on my inner thighs. I have been taking Antifungal cream lately, but the spots are still spreading, now on my chest and under arm pits and I think there is a possibility it is about to start on my back. *Sobs*

Does anyone know of a cause to this, because when I was reading about it, it mentioned low immune system, and possibly HIV (I shrank when I read that, as I hope I haven't got such a thing!)

I think I shall try this Anti-dandruff shampoo idea, and see how it works out. I really want it to go awayyyy! haha

Plus, being a chef, I work in a heated environment, so apparently this isn't good for it. But I do believe by the way, this is a fungal disease and harmless - Just annoying.

• Posted

Hi.

I am a teenage girl who had pityriasis rosea. Like some others on this chat, mine has COMPLETELY GONE!!! I started off with one mark (the herald patch) on my chest. I showed my mum, and she said just keep an eye on it. Soon after I found another similar one also on my chest. Again I showed my mum but she just said it probably wasn't anything to worry about. About a week after I discovered more around the second rash on my chest, and a couple on my arm. Another couple of days after that I was taking a shower and discovered another big patch on my neck. From there onwards it grew progressively worse and spread all around my neck, and other smaller patches grew everywhere. I then had it all over my neck, my chest a few on my stomach, a couple on my back, down my arm and even up onto my face. I went to the doctors and they said it was either ringworm or pityriasis rosea. Just incase it was ringworm they gave me an anti fungal cream, (which didn't work). I covered it all up with makeup and tried hard to hide every part of my body, but as I go to an all girls school, roumors spread so fast, I didn't know what I was going to do. The rash one day would settle down and not be so itchy, but then the next just randomly be bright red and so itchy. I began to loose all hope as I had read on the internet it can last for up to 6 months, and didn't want to go to school incase anyone saw. I built up the courage and told my friends and they were so sweet about it and supported me tremendously. It had now been a month since I saw that first spot and it had felt like so much longer. I then came to rad this chat and decided to ask my mum to go out and buy some head and shoulders anti dandruff shampoo. That evening I had a bath and used only antidandruff shampoo all over my body. I also sat out in the sun whilst I did my homework. That evening, Im not sure whether it was the sun or shampoo or a mixture of them both, but my rashes became very dry and a little more itchy than normal. But I left it and in the morning the redness had gone down completely. I did the same routine every two days, and after a week saw an amazing difference. After 5 weeks of having this rash it had very nearly gone. But I found a small lump on my neck, so again went to the doctors, and she said that it was just because I had a slightly sore throat (one of the symptoms of pityriasis rosea) and that it was fine. But she did say that she didn't know whether what I had was pityriasis rosea, as it didn't follow the normal tree like shape on my body. She said that it may have been exma, so gave be some Cetirizine Hydrochloride tablets which she said would get rid of it if it was exma. So I took the tablets, one a day, and strangely the rash disappeared. Im not sure whether it was because of the tablets, or just time, or the sun, or even the anti dandruff shampoo, but whatever it was I was super happy that the rash had gone! (and also happy to get back into my spring/ summer clothes again). After 6 weeks with pityriasis rosea, it had finally gone, and I just wish I had done these things sooner!

Hope this helps x

• Posted

Apparently it is a fungus just under the first layer of skin, eating the pigmentation, I have had it for as long as I remember and have seen many doctors and have many diagnosis, the ones that make sense to me were

that I was allergic to my sweat or sun and since I work outside in Australia it seemed the favourable diagnosis of the many. Now many treatments have worked for me but I do have a preference which I'll list below.

Also I was told anti dandruff shampoo strips the top layer of skin off you and since that's where a majority of the fungus live, it will leave a small amount to try to deal with and I found the cream helps Finnish it off for the time.

(Note it always comes back in the foreseeable future.... Sorry! And if you have managed to keep it away for many years I'd love to know thanks)

Hope it helped?

Lamisil cream (stronger than canastan) once a day

Selsun gold anti dandruff shampoo

• Posted

My PR is now almost a horrible memory after just 2 weeks of starting my routine of home remedies! I've had the rash for a total of almost 2 months but went undiagnosed until just 2 weeks ago. I went straight to the drug store and got to shopping. My routine has been taking my daily multivitamin, milk thistle, garlic, vitamin C, and L-Lysine because I have always taken L-Lysine supplements in the past whenever I developed a cold sore and since most of the forums I've read said they believed PR was connected to the herpes simplex I figured it couldn't hurt! Not too mention I also wash (and leave on throughout the duration of my shower) with a maximum strength Head & Shoulders, the bottle I bought is grey and the shampoo itself is orange if that helps you find it. Once I get out of the shower I put Desitin maximum strength diaper cream on my rash because I've also read that zinc oxide creams have helped a lot of people. I have been to the sun tan booth a handful of times as well but I only use the stand up booth so I don't become overheated or sweat as that makes my rash flare up worse than ever. My rash is now almost a thing of the past and I couldn't be more thrilled at this point!
  • Posted

Hi, I developed PR about 2-3 weeks ago, after an upper respiratory head cold/sinus infection. I thought it was a fungal infection like many because of how it looked but my primary dr informed me otherwise. He said it just had to run it's course for 6-12 wks. Well around this time I had also (coincidentally) started to include coconut oil into my eating and beauty routine. I was eating 1-2tbsp/day (on toast, mixed in tea, straight, etc) and also using it as a moisturizer. Within 1 week (3 weeks after onset) the rash is completely gone. I did a little digging and found that it is highly suspected that PR is cause by the herpes 6 or 7 virus. Coconut oil has lauric acid in it which dissolves the outer coating of viruses (especially herpes viruses) so the immune system can attack it more easily. I also take chlorella, vitamin c, olive leaf and fermented cod liver oil daily. However, it was when I added in the coconut oil I saw an immediate difference. Hope this helps someone!
  • Posted

I have had this PR for about 3 weeks now. The herald patch started on my face and now it is all over my neck, chest, back, arms (which I can hide with clothes)and some on my face (no hiding them). I have tried E45 Itch relief cream as advised by my doctor and not using scented soap but this is not doing anything. They are getting worse and darker making me very conscious. I came across this thread today as I NEED a solution, the sun is coming out and I am having to cover up. Thank you all for posting what has worked for you. So today I am going out to buy me some Head and Shoulders to bath with, I have some cream with coconut oil in it and I am going to use Bio Oil, I have also heard that the sun works wonders (sun beds too but I don't use them). With that combination I am hoping to come back on here to let you all know that my PR has completely gone with no sight of it on my skin anymore. Fingers crossed and pray for me. Any other tips welcome.
  • Posted

The anti dandruff shampoo does work as a body wash. I think it's the zinc in it. Yes zinc is good for lots of skin issues. Make sure to wash it all off. Anti fungal treatments are a waste of time. Here is my best advice for the rash, and this also works for heat rash, chafing and skin irritations-Diaper rash cream! Just plain old white cream without Aloa or other additives. Mine I used had 40% zinc. It will help so much with rash and soothes as well. Don't take hot showers or baths as this aggravates the rash. Sunlight works wonders so a few minutes a day of laying out in a private place where you can expose all the rash to direct sunlight is amazing. Just don't burn. If you exercise, shower right away. Sweat aggravates rash. Also avoid tight clothing. Anywhere you have clothes that cover you up or are restrictive the rash is worse. If you can where tank tops, do it as much as you can. Exposure to air works best besides sunlight. This may sound strange, but sleeping in the "buff" is helpful. Lol. Night time is some of the best hours for your body to heal. 

If you itch oatmeal bath powders help. Hydrocortisone creams also help. I avoid the ones with aloe in them. Benadryl pills will also help. It's ok to use a moisturizing lotion but it should be for sensitive skin and no perfumes. The best thing is to not use anything extra on your rash if you don't need. If you don't itch, don't bother with these.

(On a side note:Here is the best advice for women to use as a moisturizer: a big tub of Cetaphil moisturizing cream! Use this anywhere but especially as a face/lip cream. Throw away your anti-wrinkle, makeup remover, day and night creams and just use this. Amazing results!)

So remember sunlight and air exposure, anti dandruff shampoo as body wash, cool/lukewarm showers or bathes, diaper rash cream, and least restrictive clothes. Lots of patients. It will go away!

• Posted

I have just recently learnt of having Pityriasis rosea and I have gotten an hydrocortisone/ antibiotics and also was given a strong dosage of erythromycin stearate. It's been 7days since I started the meds but they itch like crazy . I do hope the head and shoulder will work for me. I feel so uncomfortable in my own skin.
  • Posted

Because I am older pityriasis roses was not originally considered.  However 25 percent of people who have this are older.  They tested me for lupus and syphillus.  Both negative.  They also told me it was possibly lymphoma.  I have been going through hell with this. The rash started on my forearm and then my neck.  They looked like large bug bites. Then, the spots started on my lower abdomen and my back and shoulders. I was prescribed a cortisone cream and told to lie in the sun and also to swim in the ocean.  I am going to try the head and shoulders also as I am leaving for a vacation in Europe and would sure love to get rid of this. It is maddeningly itchy, especially along the hairline on the back of my neck. I have had it for about five weeks now.  My primary care doc told me to expect it to stay around for three months.  I know each case can vary. Some of the bumps fade and other new ones appear. I also read that the juice if the aloe plant can aid in healing. Too bad the medical profession cannot get a little closer to the truth in this.
  • Posted

Hi!!thanku for the advice I've had this for about 3 wks now and I'm at my wits end!in using the shampoo but it really really stings is it supposed to do that?
  • Posted

I had a spot on my abdomen that looked like a ringworm.   It was small and did not alarm me.  I observed it on Sept. 5th - On Sept. 11th I had small bumps down the middle of my abdomen - exactly a week from when I'd observed the hearld spot.  I had a horrible sore throat as well when the small bumps appeared.  They didn't itch much and I diagnosed myself with PR from pictures  and description on the internet.  They continued to spread to under my breasts, side of abdomen, and back of neck, inner thighs, and lower back. I took Zyrtec for inflammation, Benadryl cream for itching, and used Gold Bond powder for the ones on the inner thighs. I was positively diagnosed over the internet (I uploaded pictures) to Teledoc.  I am now 6 weeks into it - and glad that I read these posts.  I had though it didn't matter what I did that it would eventually go away - it got worse before it got better.  I have currently started treating differently.  It think I can already tell a difference.   1. Desitin all over at night  2. Bathe in Head and Shoulders morning and night 3. When the spots begin to dry up and hurt use Coconut oil 4. Gold bond powder worked well between my thighs - helped dry them up - they were the first to go away.  4. I am taking multivitamin with immune booster, L- lysine, garlic, and milk thistle - I should have started this regimen at the beginning - I think it would have helped more.  At this point I'm treating the symptoms - with a better immune system I don't believe mine would have lasted so long.  I am wearing very  loose clothing.  I even bought petals from Walmart lingerie department instead of wearing a bar - made a big difference as many sores were right where my bar was rubbing.  I just wear the petals and a camisole under my loose shirts.  Don't give up - I believe anything you can do not to put yourself under any stress is a good thing.  Also, NO sweating - I had to give a up exercise for this time being. Stay cool.  I'll let you know how this treatment turns out. 
  • Posted

Hi I've recently come down with this hideous pitytiasis rosea.

U said u used anti dandruff shampoo which one as there r a few ones. For example sensitive skin etc and then u said u applied the cream which cream? I'm in urgent help to get rid of this and will try anything x

• Posted

IF YOU WANT TO GET RID OF YOUR PITYRIASIS ROSEA FAST READ THIS I KNOW ITS LONG BUT TRUST ME- hi, i am a 14 year old girl  and I have suffered from pityriasis rosea for about the last month and I wanted to tell u how I got rid of it FAST!! I started off with a few small spots on my belly  and also the herald patch which I was told was ringworm and was told it was not much when it got continually worse I went to the doctor and was told i had pityriasis rosea. At it's worse my rash was on my thighs, belly, back, arms, neck and chest. I really had no confidence because of it, it was red and dry and took over most of my body and neck. ( if you think it's going to go on your face because you have one don't worry it won't) It also itched a lot. I knew I needed to get rid of it fast. So I googled online and was told to use antidandruff shampoo to wash in but I was using hot water which is a HUGE mistake. Hot water makes the rash a lot worse and red and it stays like that for about 24hours. So do not use hot water mine improved massively when I started showering in cold water. My mom ordered me the prezze cream (from the us, I live in uk) which is very expensive including shipping but after finding out how to get rid of it for cheap we cancled the order. Now for the main part. I went out with my mom trying to find all these special things to get rid of it and I came home with... cotton wool bud and camaline lotion. (It's in a bottle like medicine) This was my saviour. With my rash at its worse I bought this and started using it that evening and this is what I did and what it did for me. Every evening I got my cotton wool buds and my camaline lotion and dapped it on every spot i had. (The lotion is white) in the mornings I woke up and took a cold shower to wash it off. It doesn't all come of but it helps tremendously. Now I know you reading this wants to get rid of your rash by tommrorow but that isn't going to work I'm telling you now. If you do what I just told u every night your rash will be almost fully gone in 1 and a half weeks. Yes i know it sounds a long time but trust me. Do this. I'm on the 1 and a half mark of using this and it has helped me so much and it doesn't really bother me anymore as it's not noticeable I just can't wait for it to fully go and have normally skin. I know 1 and a half weeks sounds long but you will see changes within days of doing this. Also don't get hot make sure you keep cool and don't exercise where you can sweat etc. YOU CAN DO THIS! ITS NOT YOUR FAULT! YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! MAKE SURE YOU DO WHAT I SAID I PROMISE IT WILL MAKE IT BETTER! I felt awful and now I am so happy... I hope this helps you

• Posted

Sorry I forgot to mention DONT USE CREAM JUST LET IT GO AWAY NATURALLY AND DO NOT PUT CAMALINE LOTION OVER THE TOP OF CREAM

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.