3Years after a mild stroke, i am experiencing TIA type symptoms daily? My consultants say its stress functional symptoms.Help me someone Please!!

Posted , 40 users are following.

3years ago I had a mild stroke, and since that day, ive been having TIA type attacks near daily. WHY? I need answers and help PLEASE.

Hi my name is Dave.

I am requiring any help feedback, as to whether anyone else seems to have or have had recurring stroke like symptoms, 3years after a small stroke.

With the help of my wife and others, I have compiled this.

8years ago, at the age of 39 yrs. I was a high flying energetic senior manager within a large uk-ftse. company, I had worked for many large UK corporations in a senior position very successfully, and also Director of my own businesses, when I suffered a large nervous breakdown.

This was due to 20years 15hour day 6/7days a week workaholic lifestyle, in senior business management working for private and public companies.

I suffered and am still suffering with hypertension, high cholesterol, and abnormal electrical QT wave diagnosed when I was 24years old.

Due to constantly having heart pain, I underwent stress tests which I was unable to complete, after having an angiogram, it was then found that under stress, my heart arteries and blood vessels constrict severely causing me pain.

All this eventually with my high work ethic, caused me to have a nervous breakdown, I then was unable to work and I fell into severe depression, all this was been treated with medication as belpw.

Then 3years ago whilst having a nice stroll near the beach at Cleethorpes, with my wife, I experienced loss of feeling in my left leg for approx. 10minutes and then the same thing in the left arm.

My wife and I laughed it off, wondering what was going off, I also felt unwell and dizzy so we decided to drive back home to Doncaster.

My left side felt weak, so after having a couple of drinks we went to bed early.

The next morning I was unable to wake up and get up properly, so my wife came upstairs and noticed that the left hand side of my mouth and eye had drooped on the left side of my face.

I was very dizzy and unsteady and weak on my left leg and left arm, and I had this very severe pain behind my left eye socket, and my wife states that I was slurring and unsteady due to dizziness.

Luckily my 24year old daughter who had just popped in mentioned to my wife, that this looked like a stroke, the paramedics who came out were shocked that on inspection I had not gone to the hospital for treatment the day before, they immediately took me into Doncaster Royal Infirmary for hospital treatment.

I was treated for a stroke and subsequent CT, MRI scans and the consultant reports within the first 48hrs states as follows;

‘‘ This gentleman’s symptoms suggestive of ataxic hemiparesis, would be in keeping with a lacunar syndrome although the white matter changes in the MRI are more predominant in the left hemisphere than the right and I cannot identify any clear brain stem lesion on review on the PACS today.

Undoubtedly there is some functional overlay component. This gentleman’s presentation is in keeping with his significant history of depression. His signs would be in keeping with a lacunar stroke and I note that carotid dopplers show carotid atheromatous disease in the asymptomatic artery, Therefore it is entirely reasonable for him to be on appropriate vascular preventative therapy. He is aware of persistent sensory deficit which is causing him anxiety.’’

I have been diagnosed as having cerebral vascular disease, hypertension, angina, diabetes type2, reflux, glaucoma, asthma, depression.

I am on medication for my above health issues as follows, Clopidogrel 75mg, Amlodopine 10mg, Montelukast 10mg, Atorvastatin 40mg, Irbesartan 300mg, Bendroflumethaizide 2.5mg, Pregabalin 600mg, Metformin 500mg, Isosorbide Mononitrate 60mg, Lansoprazole 30mg. Salbutamol and Seretide inhalers. Glyceryl Nitrate GTN spray for angina. Cocodamol and Paracetamol for pain management.

However from the moment I had this mild stroke I have been getting recurring stroke like symptoms, for now 3years after.

Initially my left leg had a small shake uncontrollably, however since being prescribed Pregabalin in the 1stsix months, I have not hardly had a recurrence, just slight shakes now and then.

These episodic attacks are now as frequent as three times a day and sometimes 7days a week, where I suffer episodes of stroke type symptoms, during my sleep, and twice during the day.

These attacks which can be from light to severe attacks are as follows, a light attack feels like an electrical current going through my head and dizziness, and then a bad attack sometimes precedes with a tingling numb-like feeling in left-hand side of my face, which then ends with me displaying the symptoms as already described on numerous occasions and literally ends with me sleeping heavily, and my leg and arm feels like a lead weight, these have been seen by many medical professionals within Royal Hallamshire Sheffield Hospital, Doncaster Hospital, the nurses at the local GP and local CMHT.

A heavy attack has the following symptoms, dizziness, pain in my head, a drooped mouth and left eye and left hand-side face, weakness in left arm and left leg, unable to walk, slurred speech, tingling in the left-hand side of face, blurry vision. These attacks whether light, medium or heavy, always ends up with myself being completely fatigued, confused with dizziness and then my brain forces me to sleep, from 2 to 4 hrs. or so.

These attacks happen during my sleep, as my wife is unable to wake me up in the morning and when i do finally wake up, i have the tell-tale left sided face droop etc, they can happen anytime of the day, whilst I am sat watching tv etc. sometimes 2 to 3 times a day for up-to 7days. My memory is terrible, i am unable to concentrate for long periods, i also lose my balance a lot, and I sometimes have a very severe pain, behind my left eye socket, and this does not go away with painkillers.

However after an attack, my limbs are weak for a day after.

Once i have recovered ie woken up after a sleep from 2 to 4hrs, i feels sometimes like I am drunk and very hung-over for a day or two, I am completely washed out, with varying pains, headaches and i am unable to walk once these attacks happen and i am very weak on my left side leg and arm daily and on-going.

I get dizzy spells during an attack and also when im not having an attack.

Also I am slurring, or mumbling during an attack, my speech is clear when I am not suffering attacks however my wife and children have stated that sometimes i say the wrong words or whilst speaking sometimes put the wrong words that im trying to say, in the wrong part of a sentence, which they find amusing, and i find frustrating and angry with myself for doing that, but i do not have slurred speech outside an attack unless I am tired.

My vision has deteriorated since the stroke, and my left eyesight is terrible, i have just been diagnosed with glaucoma and diabetes and early stages of diabetic retinopathy, however the medics are looking into my eyesight issues but with no joy.

I have also been experiencing in addition to the other symptoms, pain in my bones on my left side and back, especially when i retires to bed at night, to the point where we have had to obtain a loan to purchase, a £3000 hospital type adjustable bed, which has not really alleviated the pain.

I am under a psychiatrist for depression, but nothing seems to be working for me, I am on medication, I have been tried on different medication over the 8years and im currently on 40mg of fluoxetine a day. My depression seems deeper since the stroke and i am struggling daily.

Im under a neurologists at Sheffield Royal, but they have put it down to functional symptoms due to stress, I have been recommended for psychotherapy, but will not be allowed down this road until my depression stabilises, we need help or any information from stroke survivors, have you suffered anything like this...

I feel like im a pain to the medical profession, and as a previous troubleshooter in management and business, in working as a consultant in performance and productive environments and with working knowledge of performance measures within the national health service, i feel I am a problem to performance and productivity figures as i am still on the consultants caseload. However these are just my feelings, and does not reflect on anyone’s professional expertise.

My local GP, is understanding and very GOOD at helping me emotionally and with medication to control my symptoms.

Ive been tested for bells palsy, ms, but no joy, does anyone have these effects or symptoms after 3 yrs after a stroke?

I have never ever regained the strength in my left leg or arm, this was only a small stroke, due to clotting from furred up carotid artery the consultants have informed me.

I am constantly in turmoil over this, feeling very depressed and even suicidal on a daily basis,

My stroke was not a bleed, it was a mild stroke, possibly caused by a clot from the diagnosed furred up carotid artery in my neck.

I just need some answers or other experiences and how they have coped or resolved.

My grown up children, aged 30, 24 and 21 and myself and wife are getting exceedingly worried, as I am having more of these episodes especially over the last 8-10months.

This is affecting my whole family too, in a depressive way.

I need help and answers and im praying for answers, please help someone, all this makes me feel very suicidal.

Doing this email is very hard mentally as i am constantly drained, it has taken me 3 weeks on and off to try and compile this email with the help of my wife and others.

Thanks

Kind Regards

Dave and Nicola

4 likes, 96 replies

96 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Wow. I thought I was the only one that went through this. The doctors are always telling me it's panic attacks, but then again they were telling me that when they were shoving Xanax down my throat before I had my first stroke because I was "too young". But the way sicknfedup describes how he feels at times is the almost daily norm for me, and have not had anyone else describe it like that. I did notice that it seems worse when I am tired. There are days it gets so bad that I just can't function, and I also get stuck on words, but my neurologist claims that it isn't consistent. I have seizures on my left side. I have a hard time putting to words and keeping on track what I want to say, I am a bit of a scatter brain. But I have so many strange little things that happen, and some of it absolutely horrifying...I just get sick of people not understanding, or more importantly just believing me. They just think I'm being paranoid, but it's not much fun when your fingertips start to go numb and it spreads to your jawline and across your face...and there is nothing you can do about it. I generally feel ok. I never really feel great. But on the days that I have my episodes, I just can't function. I have mild seisures on my left side, numbness from my finger tips to my face, all the way to my leg. Visual "anomalies". Sometimes people look like they are really far away even if they are right next to me, yet they look huge. And my arms will feel so fat that I just can't pick them up. Sharp shooting pain in my head. And vision problems. It seems like I start to lose sight in just my left eye, and then it comes back. And then I just don't have the energy after it all passes to do anything. And this can last for hours. At some times it can cause me to have fits of extreme anger. I'm 36. I have had 2 strokes. I'm to the point now that I wish it would just kill me and get it over with, because I'm sick of feeling like this all the time. I'm 36, and all I have to look foward to is more of this. It will never end. It is a little comforting and saddening to know that there are others that understand at least.
    • Posted

I have also had all fingertips on my right hand go completely numb and then my tongue and half of my lips. But the numbness also spread to the rest of my hand and up my arm to the jawline like you wrote. At the ER I was diagnosed with complicated migraine which means no one knows what happened. I have had at least one stroke at age 38 but 2 lesions were found on my first MRI (5 years ago) and I go for a second MRI next month to see if I have any more visible lesions. I also have the heavy arms and visual anomalies. I know how you feel, I am not afraid of death either, once you've been robbed of abilities to control your body the fear of what another stroke can do to you is very rational. Not death but basically becoming a living corpse rotting away in a bed. If that isn't horrifying I don't know what is. I have had times where I greatly improved by lifestyle changes and a lot of luck too though. For about a year I actually felt human and didn't live in constant fear. but then my back went out and started having scary a$$ palpitations which drove me back to a bad and retricted lifestyle. And now my arm is going numb again, vertigo is back and I get nauseous when I go to the store. Hope I can get back to where I was in 2013. (FYI stroke was in 2010) 
    • Posted

What's even harder about a lot of it too is that my girlfriend of 15 years doesn't understand. My particular situation was caused from a birth defect, so to say. And happened gradually over many years. So when it finally happened, the other blood vessels had had time to compensate some, so I don't have any permanent visable distortions or speech impediments. Even though It was on the right side of my brain, affecting my left, I still have memory problems, which my doctor says isn't consistent with that side. I get stuck on words frequemtly, and lose words all together. People look at me and don't see a visable problem outward, and don't understand when I'm having problems inward. When I'm having a rough day they just don't get it. I'm constantly telling my friends that they should try and see how I see things every day...it's not the same way I saw things 6 years ago. Everything looks strange, I have just gotten used to it and function this way. You think it's a rush riding a street bike as a normal heathy person, you should feel the rush when you are in a half panic that you are trying to control while your arm is half numb while you are flying at 160mph...that is one thing I will die before I give up...I won't die a corpse bed ridden. I'm going to die a bloody heap of road rash!
    • Posted

I know what you mean, the world doesn't look the same, feel the same or anything. I am also very afraid due to the current laws which disallow euthanasia. If euthanasia was legal and I could include it in my living will, I would be terrified to end up as a "bed ridden corpse" and I could go out and live my life with a more secure feeling. Just hang in there and keep searching for answers.... maybe one of us will figure something out by accident. 
    • Posted

I know exactly what your saying. And thinking this is what life is going to be like, I cant afford to run to the Dr with everything that comes up, probably couldnt get in anyway, so each thing Im thinking this is another stroke coming, If I could just get past that way of thinking I would do so much better. This is the first site I have come across that has people that seem to have and be going through things very similair to me. I couldnt seem to get answers or even aknowledgement anywhere else of what I have been going through. It seems for me to that after an episode of something weather it be double vision face numbness, etc, I feel so drained afterward and I start thinking was that a mini stroke or something? This site has helped me out alot the short time I have been on it. Beleive me, I know the feeling of giving up but dont, think of it as being a determined warrior against this stroke thing.

• Posted

I used to run to the emergency room every time it would happen, and they always tell me the same thing. So I'm to the point now that I won't go unless I'm on the floor like what happened with the big one. For a time it was so bad I was in the hospital a couple times a week having symptoms. They kept saying it was just panic attacks and that I was just too young...I actually did a bunch of online research and found a primary doctor that would give me the referral's for the tests I wanted even though she thought I was crazy. The test that caught it was the Angiogram (probably spelled wrong) using an MRI machine. Not the catheter. They freaked out, and called my doctor and told her to get me back in there right away, and a day before is when it hit.

Even as I am typing this my figures are numb. I just get sick of running every time and they can't find anything. And then they just think I'm crazy. I wish I had a super power to make them feel it for a few minutes to watch them freak out. I'm getting ready to file bankruptcy because my credit is killed from the hospital bills.

• Posted

I understand completely what your saying. I've decided to deal with everything I can and until like you said when Im on the floor again I guess thats when I will go to the er.And yeah my credits shot too, Im making payments to the ambulance people, but everyone else, hospital, drs etc have now turned me over to collection agencies.When I picture the Er dr looking down at me on the gurnie so amused telling me "its not a stroke" thought I was drunk because I was slurring so bad, I feel the same way, him on that gurnie stroking, scared to death and someone laughing over him telling him hes just drunk, go home and sober up! unbeleivable! but true thats what happened to me. And now my primary Dr just tells me if symptoms continue and dont go away call emergency!
    • Posted

I had been getting stbbing pains in my head for several days, today Im getting like a chisel pain from the top of my head, does anyone else get these?
    • Posted

Your guy's stories sound a lot like my own. I went bankrupt aftetr the stroke and my right hand is numb right now... Question - do you guys get migraines? I ask because I have had them (with aura) most of my life but since the stroke the migraines are very different and weird. I keep wondering if there is a connection between migraine disease and stroke. I get some nasty headache pains. The ice-pick pains are sharp but have never really harmed me other than being scared by the pain. i also only go to the ER if I really think I am dying. if I went every time I had stroke symptoms I'd be at the hospital half of my life. I've managed to survive for 5 years after the stroke.... but a few times I had weird brain attacks that seemed like mini strokes (which is why we're all here posting) so who knows? The only thing that helped me was merging to a very regimented and healthy lifestyle... which seems out of reach now because I can't get a decent nights sleep.
    • Posted

I used to have unbelievable migraines that could only be handled with a pain shot in the ER. Strangely, after my big stroke, I haven't had a single one. Now I have what have been diagnosed as silent migraines. And I start to see what I can only describe as what looks like a lit up flashing blood vessel in my left eye that progressively gets worse and worse, until I can't see at all..it's trippy, but it doesn't hurt so I really can't complain. And I get a very sharp stabing pain in my head at times too. So sharp it makes my eyes twitch, but it never lasts for a long time. But sometimes it can almost drop me to the floor. I'm glad I found this forum. I really thought I was alone...
    • Posted

Just a sharp fast shooting pain that happens a few times and then goes away? That's what happens to me. It comes and goes. It's very intense. It's been happening to me for 6 years. I used to run to the hospital when it would happen early after my first stroke and they never could find anything. They would go through all the normal, MRI, and CT scans..just another one of the residual gifts. But that's just me. Each one of us is different.
    • Posted

One neurologist I went to called them ice-pick pains and said they were normal and harmless. Word to the wise, CT scans are super high with radiation.... like equivalent to 800 X-rays at once so don't get too many of those. I only accept MRI's now, no more CT scans.
    • Posted

After stroke, my migraines went away for about a year. Then when they came back they weren't like before and became more frequent. I get the zig zagz only in one eye now whereas they were always in both eyes before stroke. And I get what's described as hemiplegic migraine which affects not only my vision but also my right side goes numb like a stroke. It's very scary. I am also glad to have found this forum, Sounds like we have enough similar symptoms the probability we are suffering from the same anomaly is fairly high. I did spend a year with a strict daily exercise regimen and all healthy food diet for one year after stroke and migraines went away and slept well for the first time in my life. I got cocky and fell back into a normal life and I am paying for it dearly. I believe there is a connection to my stroke and migraines and I have a firm belief that sleep issues exacerbate the condition. 
    • Posted

The ice pick stabs I thought were bad but yesterday I had more like a chisel coming down through the top of my head. They dont seem to last long but bad just the same. I have had migraines all my life but I dont believe I've had any since the stroke just what I described. I wonder also if these could be mini strokes, I notice afterwards I get so tired feeling. I have been doing the healthy lifestyle best I can. Im eating like I never ate before, low fat, lo sodium, no alcholo at all, lots of fruit and juices. trying to go to bed at decent hours to get decent sleep, not much actual exercise because I have a bum hip and the walking at work I do all day I figure is pretty good.the addiction I have to mountain dew im afraid is still strong and the smoking I cant seem to kick. Before stroke I was over two packs a day now Im a little over one, and its tough but Im sure its the most important thing I can do is quit. I've lost wait and I drink at least one boost a day. It sure has been a lifestyle change.

• Posted

I will say this, it could be coincidence but when I was released from hospital I was of course released with a ton of meds, after severa weeks there didnt seem to be any improvement and all my joints were getting so painful, I went off everything except aspirin, thats when I saw improvement. Not recommending anyone else do it, but it helped me alot, I thought long and hard about it before I did and I kept going back to my sister n law wth full blown MS bedridden for years and taking tons of meds & shots, she went off everytjing except daily vitimin D and she was up in about 6 months and gets along great now.
    • Posted

you described it exactly, and I been thinking just lately, it didnt kill me each time it happens so I need to quit freakin everytime it happens. Im learning stroke s the gift that keeps on giving!
    • Posted

I didnt know that, guess I never thought about it, I only had one the night of the stroke.
    • Posted

There are many factors but at least with the three of us we all suffered with migraines before the stroke. There is also a thing called migraine stroke which is why I asked. I don't have any scientific evidence but in some cases I believe the propensity for stroke may be higher (and possibly related) to those who experience stroke at a younger age. I was 38 when I had the stroke. Most drugs don't help me, I am too sensitive, so like you I only continued the aspirin after leaving the hospital. 

Also if you are taking caffeine and nicotine, both are CNS stimulants....and caffeine is a vasoconstrictor. If you can taper down on the caffeine, that might help. I don't drink, smoke or drink any caffeine anymore at all. But I still have problems. I like the way you put it - stroke is the gift that keeps on giving, that's true at least for some of us.

• Posted

That jumped out at me to, about the migrains we all had. I had them as far back as I can remember. The two things I need to kick the most are the hardest, cigs and soda. 38 does seem very young for a stroke to strike. I am 54, I have no family history of stroke that I know of but do have heart problems in my families history at young ages but my heart is suposedly in good shape. I remember when they told me the Mri was what showed to them I had a stroke that their "guess" was a blockage due to cholesteral even tho my cholest. wasnt terribly bad, 186 and that my good cholest was a little loww and bad a little high. They did a carteroid (?sp) on my neck and said there was just a sign of plaque nothing to worry about. they did some sort of ango something or other where they put a plastic thing and rubbed Hard all over msides/ribs they said that was to see if my heart was "slinging cots" that test came back good also.
    • Posted

I had my big stroke when I was 32. I actually had my first stroke when I was 5. But medical records were not digital then so I couldn't verify it, so trying to tell that to a doctor was a joke. I just always knew. My father had told me, but he died when I was 9, so I couldn't recall what hospital I was in. My seizures started when I was 11. And I had varying intensity TIA''s for years. But they kept telling me it was anxiety. I used to take a stupid amount of xanax, and anti depressants.

I don't take anything now except a full strength aspirin, and topomax for my focal seizures. And Simvastatin for my high chloresterol. I don't drink coffee anymore at all. I feel like the world is ending if I do that! And I switched to low nicotine ecig's. But my diet is horrible, and I have an uncontrollable urge for sweets, and soda. I probably eat enough garbage to kill a healthy man, let alone someone that has the problems that we do...I'm sure I am my own time bomb.

• Posted

I would write out all the changes I made for a healthy lifestyle but it would just make you depressed. It was a meager time. If you want to make changes, start small and do them one at a time. Soda can be cut down over time. Cigs are the real beast.... addictive as hell and the habit is just as bad as the addiction. To beat the cigs you have to be around no one who smokes (or go where anyone smokes) and have something else you love you can turn to in place of it because you'll be nervous all the time for a while. Most important, you have to hate the cigs more than you love them. But everyone experiences sensations differently so I can't pretend to have all the answers. Just my experience. It gets easier over time.... first 3 days are hell, next 3 weeks are a lesser hell, then it's just a gradual trend up with an occasional urge. I could even light other people's smokes for them with no urge at all after a few years. My father could never do that though, although he is around smokers all the time now with no desire. He said if quitting was easy, he would probably go back. He doesn't though because the extreme difficulty was so memorable.
    • Posted

You would think after what we've been through we would be strong enough to take control of thing like diet, while I'v done real good on the diet the smoking and soda is something I jusy cant whip yet, I dont think it would cure me and all my issues but I lnow it would have to make a difference and Im learning every small good thing is a huge thing.
    • Posted

You are a 100% right. I admit I enjoy smoking and of all times in my life I thought about or attempted to quit this time in my life is the hardest to do it. I am proud I have cut out a ack a day yet at the same time I know its not enough. Everyone that I know excet now for you has always went back to smoking weather they had stopped for a year, or even one guy I know took it back up 10 years afer quitting.
    • Posted

Yeah, I know. I only smoked for a short time and it was one of the hardest things I ever did. My dad smoked for like 25 years. My grandma quit in 1986 and she had smoke for over 20 years. So it's possible. But I have seen far more people go back and even my uncle who has COPD won't quit and it's killing him. Congrats on cutting down to a pack, that's good willpower, and I would suggest just tapering off the caffeine if possible. One thing at a time is easier and when i started eating better, after a while I felt like exercising and then the healthy lifestyle just kinda snow-balled. I stuck to it for about a year and a half and then a massive disc herniation put me in bed for 2 months so I sorta just got depressed and quit trying to be healthy. Now I am slowly crawling back.... I call it the crawl back from hell. smile  I thought I coined that term but I found online that there once was a song with that name. After suffering 2 brain injuries I really felt like I was crawling out of hell.
    • Posted

Your the first non smoker that has given me Kudo's on how much I have cut down. My own Dr when I told him I had cut my smoking in 1?2, was amused by that and said You smokers are all the same you al say the same thing, Im about 1/2", So thank you.I hope you take it up again, all the

healthy stuff, I am leaning heavily on it working for me plus it keeps me occupied, If I didnt have that to strive for, I probably would give up.How is your back now? The fatigue thing that set in after my stroke just about got me down, I kept thinking if this is what its going to be like the rest of my life, I want no part of it. I made myself get up and walk one block, I did it tho the coming back the block was tough, but that was my first acomplishment and it felt good. Funny the things we took for granted before.

• Posted

The fatigue is the worst. I did manage to improve quite a bit by doing my own physical therapy. I just walked a little every day and when I felt stronger I'd go further. Eventually I was afraid if I walked too far I couldn't make it back so I either walked back and forth a few times or drove to a track  and walked in a circle. Don't overdo it. My back is better but it could go out any time. I have opted out of surgery for now. I did some research and am trying to let this thing called resorption work. Apparently over the course of years your body can remove herniated disc material if it has fragmented. Mine is pretty bad and has broken off so that actually might be a good thing. We'll see how I am doing in a few years. Have hope, I got a lot better there for a while, I think I'd be doing pretty good if I had continued. About the smoking, any reduction is a positive thing. But to completely quit... have to hate it more than you love it, like I said. And you have to reward yourself every day. I don't mean like with a candy bar, I mean an activity that takes the place of it like playing pool or having a wild girlfriend.  Having people around you who don't smoke is a huge plus. But hey, if you can cut down that's willpower. Sometimes alternate days.... like one day smoke 20 and some days smoke 15. That's a good way to lower the nicotine thing more gradually. But the habit of opening the pack, lighting up, having something to do all the time, first thing in the morning, one before bed, after every, meal etc.... that was the hardest part for me. I think I didn't know what to do with my hands for the first year. Don't know if you ever packed the pack right after you bought them (to settle the tobacco more densely) but I used to and after I quit, I would pack them in my sleep...sometimes while awake. Habit. What we took for granted before is like childhood, have to let it go and do the best with what we got now. I was depressed due to the loss for almost 5 years when I kinda just felt okay with it. The only times I get upset now are when I have attacks and I can't stand up from vertigo or my arm goes numb etc. But just having deficits, I've just accepted most of it I guess. We are going to have to accept it when we get old anyway. I pace myself every day. People with MS do the same thing.
    • Posted

Just sort of checking in to see how everyones doing. I havent been on here for several days. I have had quite a few "goog" days myself but, yes, a but, the past couple of days I have been having the Kalidascope lights in my eye, doesnt last long but starts the anxiety in full swing. This morning had very weird lights when looking at the tv and an awful feeling in the top og my head and like my brain was off kilter. Went away but its scary. I have to wonder are all these odd things going to be with me the rest of my life? I get so tired of living in fear.
    • Posted

I have been having a lot of better days recently. I attribute that to mostly getting better sleep this week. Due to better sleep my arm isn't as weak or numb and I have less migraines and headaches. It's weird that it could be that simple but the entire year in 2012 that I had no migraines or symptoms at all, I was on a strict sleeping regimen. Not that getting quality sleep is simple.... but wanted to leave an update. I also have to recognize when I am doing too much and pull back as well as make sure I get out and move around enough to keep the blood flowing or I'll feel sick from sitting around too much. It's a real balancing act.
    • Posted

you could very well be right. I am not getting the amount of sleep I need nor am I resting like I should. Im definately going to pay more attention to my sleeping patterns
    • Posted

For an entire week (this last week) I slept better and the symptoms lessened by...like 90%. Then last night I only got 6 hours and today I have headache, weak anbd numb arm, dizziness and feel sick overall. Had to get up early to go to a doctor's appointment..... isn't that ironic? smile
    • Posted

Sounds like you and I had the same week. I'd like to know how your appt goes. Im hoping to invest in a memory foam mattress topper, Im hoping that wil  help with the aches and pains.
    • Posted

So many things affect sleep, room temp. is a big factor.
    • Posted

yea, as Fall has hit the temps went from scorching to chilly, playing havoc with my sinus.
    • Posted

I love the cooler temps! One of the reasons I moved back to the Oregon coast in the last couple weeks. Made my stress spike during the move, and when Im really stressed my symptoms really go crazy! Does anyone else hate driving now? I just cant stand driving any amount of distance...I am doing a job in portland for a few weeks helping a friend open a strip club, and have to drive an hour to and and an hour back. Its tourture, but the work itself is great and takes my mind off of stuff. But when I get really hot it seems like I feel all round worse. I think I will like this more moderate temperature area.
    • Posted

I definately do better with the cooler temps but Im so frustrated because I had so many remodeling projects in the works that I couldnt get done during the extreme heat, so now Im trying to rush it before winter sets in. Driving doesnt bother me except for I worry about a double vision episode coming on while Im driving so Ii find I am driving less , like putting off places I need to go.
    • Posted

I hate driving any distance now. From what I'ver read, the best sleeping temp. differs from person to person but the average suggested by data is 60 to 68 F. I prefer about 66F but it's because I can't sleep well without a light blanket.
    • Posted

I get scared about having a vertigo episode while driving. It's happened twice and both times I was able to pull over.... but it's an awful feeling.
    • Posted

yea, mne was a couple weeks ago, I was n centerlane, horrible experience
    • Posted

I haven't posted in awhile and was wondering how you are getting along. I have been doing pretty well. It has been a little over a year and a half since my stroke. I dont live in as much fear as I did but everytime something comes up I do get very anxious. I have been left with a slight slurring mainly with "s " words. Every now and then it gets worse for a day or so and my mouth (rt side) draws back. I dont know how worried I should be about that. yesterday it was doing that and I was slurring much heavier, today not so much.

• Posted

I haven't posted in awhile and was wondering how you are getting along. I have been doing pretty well. It has been a little over a year and a half since my stroke. I dont live in as much fear as I did but everytime something comes up I do get very anxious. I have been left with a slight slurring mainly with "s " words. Every now and then it gets worse for a day or so and my mouth (rt side) draws back. I dont know how worried I should be about that. yesterday it was doing that and I was slurring much heavier, today not so much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.