3Years after a mild stroke, i am experiencing TIA type symptoms daily? My consultants say its stress functional symptoms.Help me someone Please!!

Posted , 40 users are following.

3years ago I had a mild stroke, and since that day, ive been having TIA type attacks near daily. WHY? I need answers and help PLEASE.

Hi my name is Dave.

I am requiring any help feedback, as to whether anyone else seems to have or have had recurring stroke like symptoms, 3years after a small stroke.

With the help of my wife and others, I have compiled this.

8years ago, at the age of 39 yrs. I was a high flying energetic senior manager within a large uk-ftse. company, I had worked for many large UK corporations in a senior position very successfully, and also Director of my own businesses, when I suffered a large nervous breakdown.

This was due to 20years 15hour day 6/7days a week workaholic lifestyle, in senior business management working for private and public companies.

I suffered and am still suffering with hypertension, high cholesterol, and abnormal electrical QT wave diagnosed when I was 24years old.

Due to constantly having heart pain, I underwent stress tests which I was unable to complete, after having an angiogram, it was then found that under stress, my heart arteries and blood vessels constrict severely causing me pain.

All this eventually with my high work ethic, caused me to have a nervous breakdown, I then was unable to work and I fell into severe depression, all this was been treated with medication as belpw.

Then 3years ago whilst having a nice stroll near the beach at Cleethorpes, with my wife, I experienced loss of feeling in my left leg for approx. 10minutes and then the same thing in the left arm.

My wife and I laughed it off, wondering what was going off, I also felt unwell and dizzy so we decided to drive back home to Doncaster.

My left side felt weak, so after having a couple of drinks we went to bed early.

The next morning I was unable to wake up and get up properly, so my wife came upstairs and noticed that the left hand side of my mouth and eye had drooped on the left side of my face.

I was very dizzy and unsteady and weak on my left leg and left arm, and I had this very severe pain behind my left eye socket, and my wife states that I was slurring and unsteady due to dizziness.

Luckily my 24year old daughter who had just popped in mentioned to my wife, that this looked like a stroke, the paramedics who came out were shocked that on inspection I had not gone to the hospital for treatment the day before, they immediately took me into Doncaster Royal Infirmary for hospital treatment.

I was treated for a stroke and subsequent CT, MRI scans and the consultant reports within the first 48hrs states as follows;

‘‘ This gentleman’s symptoms suggestive of ataxic hemiparesis, would be in keeping with a lacunar syndrome although the white matter changes in the MRI are more predominant in the left hemisphere than the right and I cannot identify any clear brain stem lesion on review on the PACS today.

Undoubtedly there is some functional overlay component. This gentleman’s presentation is in keeping with his significant history of depression. His signs would be in keeping with a lacunar stroke and I note that carotid dopplers show carotid atheromatous disease in the asymptomatic artery, Therefore it is entirely reasonable for him to be on appropriate vascular preventative therapy. He is aware of persistent sensory deficit which is causing him anxiety.’’

I have been diagnosed as having cerebral vascular disease, hypertension, angina, diabetes type2, reflux, glaucoma, asthma, depression.

I am on medication for my above health issues as follows, Clopidogrel 75mg, Amlodopine 10mg, Montelukast 10mg, Atorvastatin 40mg, Irbesartan 300mg, Bendroflumethaizide 2.5mg, Pregabalin 600mg, Metformin 500mg, Isosorbide Mononitrate 60mg, Lansoprazole 30mg. Salbutamol and Seretide inhalers. Glyceryl Nitrate GTN spray for angina. Cocodamol and Paracetamol for pain management.

However from the moment I had this mild stroke I have been getting recurring stroke like symptoms, for now 3years after.

Initially my left leg had a small shake uncontrollably, however since being prescribed Pregabalin in the 1stsix months, I have not hardly had a recurrence, just slight shakes now and then.

These episodic attacks are now as frequent as three times a day and sometimes 7days a week, where I suffer episodes of stroke type symptoms, during my sleep, and twice during the day.

These attacks which can be from light to severe attacks are as follows, a light attack feels like an electrical current going through my head and dizziness, and then a bad attack sometimes precedes with a tingling numb-like feeling in left-hand side of my face, which then ends with me displaying the symptoms as already described on numerous occasions and literally ends with me sleeping heavily, and my leg and arm feels like a lead weight, these have been seen by many medical professionals within Royal Hallamshire Sheffield Hospital, Doncaster Hospital, the nurses at the local GP and local CMHT.

A heavy attack has the following symptoms, dizziness, pain in my head, a drooped mouth and left eye and left hand-side face, weakness in left arm and left leg, unable to walk, slurred speech, tingling in the left-hand side of face, blurry vision. These attacks whether light, medium or heavy, always ends up with myself being completely fatigued, confused with dizziness and then my brain forces me to sleep, from 2 to 4 hrs. or so.

These attacks happen during my sleep, as my wife is unable to wake me up in the morning and when i do finally wake up, i have the tell-tale left sided face droop etc, they can happen anytime of the day, whilst I am sat watching tv etc. sometimes 2 to 3 times a day for up-to 7days. My memory is terrible, i am unable to concentrate for long periods, i also lose my balance a lot, and I sometimes have a very severe pain, behind my left eye socket, and this does not go away with painkillers.

However after an attack, my limbs are weak for a day after.

Once i have recovered ie woken up after a sleep from 2 to 4hrs, i feels sometimes like I am drunk and very hung-over for a day or two, I am completely washed out, with varying pains, headaches and i am unable to walk once these attacks happen and i am very weak on my left side leg and arm daily and on-going.

I get dizzy spells during an attack and also when im not having an attack.

Also I am slurring, or mumbling during an attack, my speech is clear when I am not suffering attacks however my wife and children have stated that sometimes i say the wrong words or whilst speaking sometimes put the wrong words that im trying to say, in the wrong part of a sentence, which they find amusing, and i find frustrating and angry with myself for doing that, but i do not have slurred speech outside an attack unless I am tired.

My vision has deteriorated since the stroke, and my left eyesight is terrible, i have just been diagnosed with glaucoma and diabetes and early stages of diabetic retinopathy, however the medics are looking into my eyesight issues but with no joy.

I have also been experiencing in addition to the other symptoms, pain in my bones on my left side and back, especially when i retires to bed at night, to the point where we have had to obtain a loan to purchase, a £3000 hospital type adjustable bed, which has not really alleviated the pain.

I am under a psychiatrist for depression, but nothing seems to be working for me, I am on medication, I have been tried on different medication over the 8years and im currently on 40mg of fluoxetine a day. My depression seems deeper since the stroke and i am struggling daily.

Im under a neurologists at Sheffield Royal, but they have put it down to functional symptoms due to stress, I have been recommended for psychotherapy, but will not be allowed down this road until my depression stabilises, we need help or any information from stroke survivors, have you suffered anything like this...

I feel like im a pain to the medical profession, and as a previous troubleshooter in management and business, in working as a consultant in performance and productive environments and with working knowledge of performance measures within the national health service, i feel I am a problem to performance and productivity figures as i am still on the consultants caseload. However these are just my feelings, and does not reflect on anyone’s professional expertise.

My local GP, is understanding and very GOOD at helping me emotionally and with medication to control my symptoms.

Ive been tested for bells palsy, ms, but no joy, does anyone have these effects or symptoms after 3 yrs after a stroke?

I have never ever regained the strength in my left leg or arm, this was only a small stroke, due to clotting from furred up carotid artery the consultants have informed me.

I am constantly in turmoil over this, feeling very depressed and even suicidal on a daily basis,

My stroke was not a bleed, it was a mild stroke, possibly caused by a clot from the diagnosed furred up carotid artery in my neck.

I just need some answers or other experiences and how they have coped or resolved.

My grown up children, aged 30, 24 and 21 and myself and wife are getting exceedingly worried, as I am having more of these episodes especially over the last 8-10months.

This is affecting my whole family too, in a depressive way.

I need help and answers and im praying for answers, please help someone, all this makes me feel very suicidal.

Doing this email is very hard mentally as i am constantly drained, it has taken me 3 weeks on and off to try and compile this email with the help of my wife and others.

Thanks

Kind Regards

Dave and Nicola

4 likes, 96 replies

96 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi all, I'm sadly not bringing a miracle cure (or really anything remotely useful) to the party, just my relief at finding I'm not alone, which it recently has felt a lot like!!

I had a stroke (confirmed by docs) about 2 years ago, at the ripe old age of 31. No history of anything other than 2 years with type 1 diabetes (unknown cause). I found myself experiencing the migraines with the black and white kaleidoscopic auras for a few weeks (fortunately never suffered from migraines prior to that), and then one evening had real difficulty finding words. Did what most people would do - had a few glasses of wine and put it down to stress/tiredness! Woke up with a drooping face and imbalance and my (by that point slightly panicky) boyfriend carted me off to A&E where after numerous scans and tests, the MRI confirmed a stroke (ischemic, I don't really understand all the terminology but I think a clot in my carotid - I don't read the notes much because it makes me anxious)! A week later I was discharged from hospital but the next day had to go back because the right side of my body went numb (never weak, just numb). Two weeks later, every test under the sun done and still none the wise as to the cause I was able to go home. Luckily recovery was full for me (touch wood) however it took two years to make some progress mentally and not panic with every twinge or flicker (which is a pain when your blood sugar is prone to going all over the place and making you feel wonky)!

In the last month however I have experienced the migraine/aura again and have gone into full on panic mode because I think it's starting up again. My consultant admitted me into hospital to do an MRI this week which came back showing no changes, however last night my right hand started to numb again - only for about half an hour - and I think my vision was off again - basically like a blank patch 'missing' (so hard to describe) just to the right of my vision. I'm freaking out all over again. I haven't been back to A&E, it feels a bit excessive until something that I can point at and say 'look, my face is drooping' (or something tangible) happens.

So, I think I just needed to get that off my chest. Boyfriend and family seem to think I'm imagining it (fair but I know when I've imagined things in the past and this is different). I feel like there's so much on my mind that I can't concentrate on anything else, and I know I've got a busy day at work tomorrow too.

Please excuse my outpouring, I found it really reassuring to read all your stories and progress and really just wanted to thank everyone (especially Sicknfedup for starting the post)!! I really hope you're all doing as well as possible!

Georgie 

• Posted

My stroke happened this past January. I have made great recovery,..but..I get many scary symptoms, face draw, slurring, weird lights in vision, double vision, ice pick headaches, etc.. I decided not to run to emergency every time, I am learning this is just post stroke occurrances. A person on here helped me understand that by exlplaing in a way I can understand.Like I said, I have recovered great considering I was paralyzed my whole right side but I find myself dealling with these odd occurances, like numbing on the face etc... I am telling myself these will lessen in time, I have to fully realize I had a stroke, a brain injury so things are going to be different from now on and not how I was before. I wish you the best of luck and progress, I would never say ignor your symptoms but for me  am accepting these occurrances as part of my life right now, I have to or the fear would drive me back to the emERgency every week. Take care, wshing you the best
    • Posted

Georgealice, I was the same age when I had my stroke. (I had one when I was 5 too, but I kind of write that one off...). But I had some sort of strange symptoms my whole life, being that I did in fact have a stroke at 5, but around 30 it kicked into overdrive. Doctors thought I was crazy. They said I was just too young. Even MRI's and CT scans never found anything so they were always quick to call it panic attacks and pump me full of meds. Wasnt until I had the Angiogram that uses the MRI machine that they found my particular problem. (Had the catheter angiogram later) sorry is my spellin sucks, Im just too lazy to check it tonight. Im having a horrible night. My face is numb, and Im having a hell of a time getting my left fingers to do what I want. I cant focus on anything and I feel like Im in a fog. My whole left side just feels funny...I cant sleep. I am on the fence on going to the ER myself, but I probably wont..But that sense of urgency is there..Ill just sit it out.

Its a never ending gift we get to endure that nobody but us really understands. And I didnt know that anyone else felt until I stumbled across this particular thread. It has been 6 years since my last big stroke. I know my safe limits when I dont feel well. And all I can say is better safe than sorry.

• Posted

Well put. I believe most panic attacks are a physiological imbalance and the panic is a "wake up call' to us that something's wrong. I read up on why we vomit when we get dizzy - for thousands of years humans would wander around and eat god knows what. Sometimes they ate poisonous or toxic stuff. When the body would ingest this toxic stuff, oftentimes they would get very dizzy inducing a panic attack. This would make the person not want to eat anymore, scared of the place where they are (due to poisonous food being there, so they shouldn't return), run away and vomit. It's a naturally built-in survival mechanism. There is also something about pumping adrenaline that helps our circulatory system remove toxins quicker so it all makes sense that panic attacks are a long running survival thing. I read a lot more abouty it but you get the point. I am just suggesting that either there is something our body sees as poison or danger or there is something in our environment causing a "wrong signal" (or maybe it's doing it's job correctly) to the brain inducing panic. I do not believe that the majority of panic is a mental health issue. I think most panic attacks are from humans living in an environment unsuitable to the humans that preceded us for thousands of years. Our environment has flipped upside down just in the last 100 years and it's amazing anyone be so resilient enough to cope. 
    • Posted

I was thinking more about what you said about focal seizures. I wonder if what we all might be experiencing is something like occipital seizures. They reportedly can easily be misdiagnosed as migraine. I know some of my symptoms cross over into seizure territory. Could TIA and stroke cause seizure disorders? I think it's very possible..... and if our symptoms are infrequent or less severe in their episodes, that would make diagnosis even more difficult. Most people with occipital seizures are not realized due to scans taken at times when episodes are not happening. Why is it that a brain scan cannot be set up to accomodate a person when they are having an episode? I have run into this same issue with heart related tests. Intermittent health issues cannot be measured by an appointment for a test or scan in many cases. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1296258/?page=1

• Posted

I'm very new to this and this is the first forum I can relate to. I'm 37 years old a few weeks ago on February 29. I suffered a stroke at our local ballpark. The episode started a day before. Here's my background. Former smoker. Had quit twice for extended periods of time. So maybe smoked a combined 8years. Gastric sleeve patient, at time of stroke weighing around 180. No really history of major health issues other them migraines and nerve damage to my right leg due to a recently diagnosed case of scoliosis. The years of undiagnosed scoliosis wore cartridge from hip by favoring leg cause of a knee injury. The bursitis that built in hip puts pressure on sciatic nerve causing extreme pain. I'm also serve ADHD into adulthood.rh negative blood type. That's some medical background. In 2001 during my first pregnancy for maybe 5 mins I suffered what seemed to be a mini stroke right side weakness from face to foot that came and went within mins. OB informed me baby just rolled over on a nerve. Back to February 2016. I've never been a big drinker of water or anything I'm just not a thirsty person. So I stay dehydrated. I tried it works wraps two days before stroke. I was suppose to shower the morning of stroke but was running late and thought I would do it after ball draft. So after a two day migraine that not even oxycodone was helping and I have a high pain tolerance. I experienced a warm feeling, paralysis of right side and was rushed to hospital. I was in and out I just couldn't stay awake. The sleep was so deep. I'm a sleepwalker and have never experienced a sleep like that. The Drs kept saying I was too young for stroke. After many test most I can't recall cause the sleep lasted for weeks. The mri showed white matter. Finally I was told stroke. Upon returning home all I could do was sleep. The headache lingered for nearly two weeks. The numbness in my feet lingered. During periods of conciseness I would research and write. My short term memory sucked and still does. I remembered though years ago one of my twin brothers rushed to er for possible stroke and he was diagnosed hempligetic migraine. He gets migraine without headache and so does his twin. My mother and I carry headache. Yet the dr could explain numbness still being in feet. After another week during a stressful episode the numbness went back into hand and cheek quickly resolved itself with exception of quarter size on cheek. Quickly following I'm extremely cold and I have that insane sleepiness. Apparently that was a Tia. It's now a month later. I have good days and bad. Numbness lingers in feet but intensifies at times and comes and goes in hand and face. I'm not sure I ever had the visual problems people speak of during stroke. I talked normal. After stroke short term memory was short so I repeat myself a lot. I'm super forgetful, and have days I just sleep. Having four kids this isn't going to work. I'm wondering if a lot of things can be connected. To have a answer. My own thoughts were being on brink of dehydration, then using body wraps that made dehydration worse. Lead to severe dehydratytion, that lead to migraine that being dehydrated caused a clot from constricted vessels. I'm working on hydration but my numbness comes and goes cloudiness comes and goes good days and bad for memory. Anyone else relate??
    • Posted

It has been a little over a year since my stroke. I still get the effects from it. tingly on face spider web feeling. My hands cold etc.. Every Dr I have asked has said there is no connection concerning stroke and migrain but if you read peoples stories especially on this site you will see 99.9 percent was afflicted with migraines during their life just as I was. Since my stroke I havent had a single one, a couple of times very bad headaches though. A few months after my stroke I had alot of what I describe as an ice pick jabbed in my brain feeling. I have noticed when I am sleepy, I am REALLY sleepy. I wish you the best. Stay positive
  • Posted

Dave, this is the first post on Patient that has brought me to tears.  I also had small strokes over a 12 year period, the last one Feb, 2015.  It was at the base of the brain which wasn't seen until the second  look.  It did effect my vision in my left eye making the vertigo which I had for years much worse.  Balance problems and a lot of dizziness is still there. 

I must ask you if any doctor has recommended supplements.  When I started with anxiety after my husband passing away this past May my magnesium supplent was raised and it helped me a lot.  Because of my weight problem I was recommended the Mediterranean diet which is high in antioxidants and am keeping my salt intake low.  

I am a Christian who believes in the power of prayer and that God is a God of miracles.  I am praying that you have His peace and be surrounded with His Spirit.  Also surround yourself with people that will pray with you and encourage you, because He can lift you out of the depression.  I know because He has for me.  You will be in my prayers so please post progress.  Would love to hear from you again.

• Posted

It sounds like we had the same kind of stroke. I had my stroke 21 mo ago. I am kind of young at 42 yr old it completely changed my life. I had to retire from my job of 23yr. I went on vacation and never made it back to work. When I 1st had the stroke, I couldn't move anything on my left side. It was the scariest thing that I ever experienced in my life. I had to make up my mind that I was going to fight this. Healing from a stroke is a slow process and to this day I experience ups and downs, but we have to keep fighting. We have to realize that there is a purpose for us to still be living life after a stroke. The 1st thing that I did, was not to listen to the doctors are anyone who tell you that you can't do something. Today I have proved a lot of doctors wrong by doing things that they said I could not do. I'm happy to say that I can walk again, I can speak pretty clear, I have 60% feeling on my left side, and I'm driving again. I am still fighting, but it takes hard work. We have to do it for ourselves. I know someone who had to learn how to do everything after having a stroke. It took her 5yr and she made it back to work. We will never be fully recovered, but with hard work we will be able to function well. I'm still a working progress and I'm enjoying the process on this road to recovery. If you want to talk my number is 707-333-0828. Sometimes it's great to hear from another stroke patient. God Bless keep fighting.
    • Posted

Thank you for this positive words - I am now in the lowest of depression ... but reading this helps.
  • Posted

Just found site and read about you and all that has happened. As for me, stroke right side brain damaged, slurred speech, constant tiredness, often have small seizures, warnings prior, ie strange smells, then pins and needles down left arm and hand which does go totally numb. Meds are a must, keppra anti seizure works, granted not all the time but without Keppra seizures were very physical. Have been walking, also cycling, am going to start running again, get very tired, but have accepted this is me now, limit myself and do not over load the brain, when I do, bang a seizure bursts through, have learnt to understand my limitations and not push push push myself, it's all about me, and if others want more from me, I just say no, and do not allow guilt to overload me, better to be alive, speech slurred and daily life can be exhausting, but I am still here, I have had a stroke and suffer seizures, but I am alive and am still me, not the me I was pre stroke. It is what it is, but I am here. 

• Posted

You have a wonderful attitude and that contributes toward the healing.  I, too, had a mild stroke 2 1/2 years ago, just 3 months before my husband passed away.  I stutter when I try to talk too fast so I've slowed down more than ever.  This stroke was a few inches from the brain stem so it shot up and over to my left side affecting my eyes and the vertigl I already had. Talk about being scared.  This time I agreed to rehab and came home earlier than I should have because my husband  got worse.  I was very blessed to get the right physical therapist at home for he had worked with people with bad balance.  I got quite an education with him from him about how the eyes and ears work together to help with balance, something I never knew before.  As long as I keep on doing the physical and eye exercises like I should I'm good.  God has been good  to me and I'm still here to talk about it.  

• Posted

So glad I read this - did not get through all of it - but will.

Got an ischemia stroke 7 months ago - also after 5 years of high stress - wife was diagnosed with cancer in 2010 and passed away in 2014 (unfortnately no kids) - and I did everything plus full jobs, and in the middle we immigrated to another country....mad.

Now I know it is like that and I just have to live with it.

I am not 50 yet and probably need to adjust my whole life and attitude.

I get these after-attacks (dizzy spells, headaches, etc.) as described in the conversations also – just hope it gets better. It feels though that my energy levels are less and less the more I try to work, and I even have less energy to do physical training. I have to talk to my doctor about this, because I believe the latter is so important.

Lets hang in there guys – life can be good (cannot believe I just wrote this – look how your discussions start to take my depression away!).

• Posted

Hi Sicknfedup, when I read your post it was exactly my condition that you were describing except for migraine.  I have had two strokes in the past 3 years and when my electric shock type symptoms were severe I have called  the ambulance on three times, and my physio has called them twice.  Eventually the Stroke Specialist diagnosed Nuropathic Pain and now I,m on the highest dose of Pregabalin 600mg per day.  I had a Ischaemic Stroke, right side of brain, and I,m pretty mobile, which can be a problem because in the past I've taken on too much and have brought the electric shocks on.  I don't know the difference between a stroke and the shocks except that I have control of my left side. I do a test by raising my arm, leg etc. and these now determine wether I had a stroke or not! and do I now phone an ambulance.  I seem to have exhausted all avenues for a cure and my GP has explained I have to accept my disabilities, as have my Specialists. I don't think they have a cure, for me the Pregabalin helps.  I wish you well and thanks for starting a great Forum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.