6 cm. liver cyst

Posted , 17 users are following.

6-7 cm. cyst found in left lateral lobe of liver. Having symptoms of nausea,diarrhea, severe fatigue, pain in upper abdomen,radiating to back. Weight loss, decreased appetite. I have appt with heptalogist (sp), what should I expect?

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

does anybody actually know what the cause of cysts anyway, I haven't looked that one up yet is it just getting old and our bodies degenerating at the very least, and do you think they just say they're benign cyst and sometimes say but cysts can always turn cancerous just to cover their you know what. I mean are we doomed do they always turn to cancer sooner or later.
    • Posted

There is no explanation why cysts occur, they can put it down to a number of things like infection but some people tend to have more cysts than others (ie i am a 'cysty' person so the doctor told me) as years ago i had an ovarian cyst which was left alone, i also have a kidney cyst which has also been left along and now these liver cysts.  I think they can tell which cysts may be a danger so i guess that's why they monitor them once they find them so i'm keeping everything crossed that they will just check them out say 6 - 12 months and then the consultant will decide whether to 'discharge' me or not.  I would never have know i'd got them if i hadn't had an ultrasound scan for what i thought was gallstones at the time as i was getting a mild, dull discomfort under my right rib (which i still get).  My consultant said that if the population was scanned, probably half would have cysts detected in their bodies but of course they can't scan everyone as it's so expensive and only order scans when people go to them with symptoms.  I am now waiting for my blood test results for my LFT (liver function test) which was normal 5 months ago and hope it's the same this time.  I have also asked for some tumour markers (for my own peace of mind) as when it was detected 5 months ago i was beside myself with worry as you can imagine because i think it's a natural thing to think the worst when something like a lump / cyst etc is found and until you get the all clear, it is a huge worry - lost quite a bit of weight through worrying about it. I was told by the consultant that it wasn't anything suspicious and i haven't asked the question 'is there a possibility it can turn cancerous' although i think i will next time i see him.  Even if i do get 'discharged' i think i will probably pay privately and have annual scans of my liver just to be on the safe side.   I will keep you all posted.
  • Posted

I had my follow up MRI scan today and i was there for a good 40 minutes (they told me it would take 20 mins) so am feeling a bit anxious.

I had my LFT (liver function test results) today along with some other tests and they thankfully have come back OK.

I suppose i shouldn't grumble because at least i am being monitored but i can't help feeling nervous.

• Posted

You already know what's in your liver all this MRI is going to do is show if it gotten bigger or spread you should already know if there vascular unless this is your first scan. You said they were sister right that rules out tumor correct. You're sick because the cysts are big enough to cause you digestive disorders. Basically they need to take them out so all you need to worry about is surgery
    • Posted

I don't think surgery is an option, too risky so i guess they are just keeping an eye on them, i'm quite happy to have an annual scan just to keep things in check.  My LFT (liver function blood tests) have come back normal so that's a relief.
  • Posted

Just wondering how you are getting on with your liver cyst, is it stable?
  • Posted

I also have a 6 cm cyst in my liver which was found on US that was done for GI symptoms.  Going tomorrow for a CT.  Have no idea what they are planning besides watching it.  Hoping that's all they do.

• Posted

Hi, i was told in my usual UC scan yesterday that i have cyst on my liver. The girl who did the scan told me that she will have a 2nd opinion from the DR. I am very worried about it, can anyone help to understand what could happen please?
  • Posted

Was told I have a Hepatic cyst several years ago and like others have been told to keep checking it.The size now is 15.2cm and beginning to worry it will rupture.My PC dr is sending me to a Interventional Radiology Dr and he told my Dr he would drain it.Has anyone here had this done? I'll see him next week to see what to do......

• Posted

Hi I was wondering what happened with your liver cyst.   I have a 10.5cm cyst and also 2 other small ones.    I have been concerned for some time about my cysts.
    • Posted

I had the liver drained 2-2-17 with a total of 1 1/2 litters of fluid from the cysts.I felt really good for about a week but started feeling bad and went to my PC and they did a ultrasound and the liver is back to the same size 15.2cm.Won't do that again and not many choise.I'm having more systems then before.

• Posted

Hi i was wondering if you could shed some light on this subject. I just had the procedure done on friday 19, 2018. I am so afraid please help.
    • Posted

Had the cysts drained knowing the possibility of a return.Well it was back in 2 weeks and the same size... Gurr! So back to Drs and not liking the size of 15cm so went to a liver surgeon who said lets get it out and that I did.Other then it being surgery and that recovery time all went well and the worrying of "what if" is gone too...

• Posted

You mention you had it drained. It came back in 2 weeks. Can you tell me how would I know if my will come back after dranaige. Also can you tell me about your surgery because I know I will eventually need it
    • Posted

I have never had mine drained so I'm not much help on this.   I am concerned about mine so I will be asking questions from my PCP on my next appointment.    The doctors dont seem to concerned about this but I am.

• Posted

Hi, I'm interested to know how they go about this surgery.   I'm thinking I might have to have this procedure done sometime.    Where did you go for this surgery if you dont mind me asking?  

I hope you are doing well.

• Posted

The surgery was a Laparoscopic and was only in the hospital one night and all went well as far as surgery so go and 6wks recovery like the no lifting stuff.They said it won't return and taking their word on that.The surgeon was in Charlotte NC....Good luck!!

• Posted

Well I am getting confused on what person has what procedure forgive me. were you in any pain after your laparoscopic procedure, and do you think age has anything to do with healing and speedy recovery time.
    • Posted

I am sorry I am new to this discussion board. I am still figuring out who had cyst drained, who has surgery, who text who, forgive me If I am all over the discussion board. I am not tech or computer savvy.
    • Posted

I had the surgery and to your question age and your health play a roll in any surgery.Im in my 70's and in good health and think all went well for me but everyone is different.It took years of Drs watching it and it growing before we felt soothing needed done.

• Posted

It's great to hear success stories. I am inbgood health too. I am just waiting for my DR to call, so if the cyst has filled back up, I will be getting the laparoscopic surgery. I am in good health as well, just the liver cysts but, it scares me that the idea of poking around my liver it's really so scary I lose sleep sometime up all night worrying

• Posted

Also with laparoscopic surgery did they have to remove your gallbladder. My dr told me that he would remove it. I heard if you have your gallbladder remove you will lose a lot of weight and get really sick. Have you heard of this
    • Posted

Nancy

did you have an open surgery to remove your cyst? I am having one because mine is so big

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.