6 weeks post break, 5 weeks post op for broken ankle

Posted , 10 users are following.

On Jan 10, I broke my ankle in 8 places and dislocated it(it was completely backwards). I had surgery a week later with screws and a plate. 2 weeks later I was put in a cast, go back in 2 weeks to have cast removed. I have been having some strange things going on and I am looking for answers.

1. Anytime I don't have my foot elevated it swells instantly.

2. My toes are a reddish purple and will feel like they are freezing, but when you touch them they are hot.

3. I keep getting these stabbing pains in my ankle, to the point they bring tears to my eyes.

4. If feels like someone is poking me with pins. This is not only in my ankle but all over my foot.

5. Muscle spasms, sometimes so bad that my whole leg will jerk. Not to mention, muscle cramps.

Appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Don't let anyone force you back to work. Your own body will tell you when your ready.

i saw my consultant today and he confirmed the swelling will last for over a year. Knew this already from the numerous comments on this site. 

We all just have to be patient. 

Write your questions down and make sure you get your answers. I went today and came away with question I forgot to ask. 

• Posted

Thanks Gill. I have been writing them down as I think of them. I wish they would tell you from the beginning what to expect, but they don't.

The nurse from Workmans comp has called my doctor after each appt and talked to him. My attorney said she isn't allowed to speak to my doctor without me being present. She is suppose to be at my next appt and hr told me not to let her have a conversation with him alone. I feel like I am stuck in the middle of a big tug of war. I also know that doctors tend to listen to whom ever is paying the bills.

• Posted

I went back to work, probably too early due to boredom and financial reasons.

I have only since been told by physio that without metalware the swelling and recovery between 3-6 months, with hardware up to 12 months.

i wish I had been advised of this before agreeing to the surgery, as I wouldn't have gone ahead. I was advised that it was a small operation and would be better for me in the short and long term, so agreed to it

• Posted

Just tell them to read comments on this site. They will find out more on here. Don't think anyone who hasn't walked in our shoes understands what breaking an ankle really means. 

I for one thought after plaster was off things would get back to normal. How wrong can one be. Nearly four months down the line and still can't walk. It frustration some days but refined myself it all takes time. Each day there is slight improvements. I can now stand and weight bear for a few minutes, couldn't do that two weeks ago. 

I think the experts don't tell us what to expect as we all so different.

• Posted

I am so sorry. Evidently you needed the surgery. How are you doing now?
    • Posted

That maybe Gill, we all heal differently. This site is great, I have learned so much here. I am so thankful I found you all.
    • Posted

You are right about different lengths of time for heeling.  I have been out of plaster for 2 weeks and yesterday walked for the first time without a crutch.  I was amazed but was in the kitchen so I could use the units for support if needed. 

I was told by physio to take pain killers to do the exercises properly so yesterday and this morning I have taken 2 paracetamol to do my jobs around the house then no more for the rest of the day.  Pain does return but I rest and elevate for the remainder of the day and night.  it means I can do a lot more being crutch free.

The next goal is to walk down the street with my little dog.  Each day a little more can be achieved. I think someone should write a booklet for patients in hospitals who break their ankle so they know what to expect but maybe it might cause depression!!!!

• Posted

Yes, maybe the doctors need to read about patients own experiences. I started to think that there was something wrong for two different doctors to criticize me. I too was unable to walk after all most 3 months. You will notice slight improvements day by day. I'm still limping badly but needed to return to work. I just wonder when I will be back to normal is
    • Posted

I was advised to have 3 screws to secure my ankle. The consultant said it would be better both short & longterm. I'm not too sure, knowing what I know now I would have preferred to wait and see how I improved, then maybe have surgery
    • Posted

I don't understand why doctors just don't get it. This is what they do and they should know their patients and what hell they go through.
    • Posted

I'm pleased for you Beryl. Once you start to take steps, the confidence will grow and you will be able to take your little dogs for walks. My first steps were in the kitchen knowing that I had something to grab or hold on to. Try and Sta positive, you will get there
  • Posted

Don't worry in about 8 months they will fuse your ankle together. Cut out all the damaged tendons and drive a big screw through the bottom of your foot to secure your ankle. Pain will be gone and you can walk 90% normal. First though you have to jump through all the surgeon s hoopes before you get there.
    • Posted

Oh my, is that what they did to you? That sounds so very painful, you poor thing. Why did they have to do that?
  • Posted

And Leelee does the pain seem to travel up the front of your leg at times, almost feels like my leg is broken. And oh yes, the shooting pains that come out of the blue !

I'm sorry to be so glad I'm not the only one experiencing them and all kinds of other unpleasant sensations as well.

Before suffering an. ankle injury that kind of talk would have meant little to me, but NOW it resonates all too well.

I try to tell myself that 'This two shall pass.'

Sometimes I believe it and sometimes, well, I don't.

• Posted

Yes, I get pains that travel straight up my shin. I also, get weird random pains. Sometimes it feels like I am getting shocked, other times it feels like I am being stabbed, and then other times it is like my foot is on fire. Almost like someone has a vodoo doll and they are playing a sick game lol.

I never would have dreamt the crazy pain that goes along with a broken ankle. I have tried to stay positive, but some days it is more than I can take.

• Posted

Im 5 months post surgery and have experienced and still am experiencing all kinds of weird sensations that you are describing. I have had pain in my heal for a few days, nothing severe but even so, I didn't break or have surgery on my heal. The swelling is the most difficult part to deal with along with limping and being unable to squat.

It is normal to feel different emotions, I am positive most days but some days I get really fed up with my situation.

I feel that I have achieved a lot up to December, then almost no improvement the last month.

Hope your recovery is quick, and try to stay positive even though it is difficult at times

• Posted

I had most of the sensations that you describe, and still have some weird feelings. My foot used to jump quite badly and unexpectedly, but that stopped thankfully. I had read before my injury that broken ankles were quite problematical, but didn't realise the situation fully until I was a casualty.

I sometimes think back wishing that I hadn't taken a shower that morning, but in doing so just punish yourself further. It's a case of getting back to normal as quickly as possible, I sure hope that this is the case for you.

Take care 

• Posted

Mine jumps also, the first time it did it scared me to death.

I have thought that if I hadn't walked outside to see the first snowfall then I wouldn't be going through this, but you can't change it. We just have to concentrate on the future and getting our lives back.

• Posted

My foot jumped occasionally for around 2 weeks. As nobody tells you of any possible implications, then it is scary. I thought back to the day my injury happened and got fed up, but its happened and dealing with it all is daunting to say the least. I know it may seem forever yet, but we will all recover, just take one day at a time mate
    • Posted

One day at a time and small victories is the only way to look at it.
    • Posted

I just had the strangest feeling in my ankle. It felt like a rubber band popping under my skin. Has anyone else had this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.