6 weeks post knee operation

Posted , 10 users are following.

Its now 6 weeks post op, and 40 degrees knee flexion my physiotherapist said I am progressing slowly, but my knee is still really stiff and heavy and unable to bend properly ... Is this recovery normal?? I feel so down and depressed I know it wasn't going to be an easy road to recovery but some of the things I have been reading on here seems like I'm the only one unable to bend my knee at the stage I am at?? My thigh muscles are so weak ive been doing the home exercises and using my foam roller I seem to be getting know wer as any one at all had similar problems NY pt said I have lots of scar tissue so ive been massaging my knee I just feel like am in a pickle I go back and see my surgeon next week at Sheffield hope he can give me some answers 😊

2 likes, 73 replies

73 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Natalie,

We are all different. Each one of us heals at our own rate. Slow is progress.

I recommend a neoprene knee compression sleeve. it us specifically made to properly allow for the patella, the knee cap.

Elevate your knee above you heart.

Place obe frozen gel i c e pack beneath tge knee and a secobd one on top. Now read a book, watch TV,speak on the phone, whatever for an hour. Then extend your leg straight up for 30 seconds. Next slip the sleeve on and settle it nicely at the knee cap.

Wait another hour, remove the sleeve. Your kner should be near normal size. Slowly do your range of motion exercises.

The neoprene sleeve may be slept in. It is great for reducing pain.

Chin up...it gets better...promise

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Hi thanks for the advice ive got the ice pack your talking about I put mine in the fridge it is the one with velcrow straps it as been easing my pain/swelling pt today so lets hope ive progressed
  • Posted

PT went well today, 42 Degrees it was 38 on Weds so 4 degrees Slow ly getting there I have been giving some different exercises to concentrate on over the weekend, I am back at pt next week and see my surgeon this monday coming, I am feeling more postive and much better in myself the knee bend will come in time, good luck to everyone else going through post op x
  • Posted

Hello, I have had 6 total surgeries on my left knee. Full fulfersons, several Scopes and a total kneecap replacement in April. I'm still following with orthopedic surgeon. I had a really rough way to go at first. I'm still experiencing a lot of pain, stiffness, swelling. My knee pops real loud, grinds and the more I move around the more the pain and swelling. My knee pain wakes me up all hours of the night. I have full from but it's debilitating in everything I do. My knee gives out on me. I keep looking for answers and I just wish this would get better. I'm depressed and limited to what I can do. Any help would be awesome.I just don't know how to get better? My Dr has told me to quit physical therapy and just do what I can. I do as much as I can tolerate. The physical therapy would have me in tears and blood pressure through the roof and I would be down for days. I wanted this to be a successful surgery and I believe me and my Dr are disappointed? I have a lot of nerve damage as well. I can't feel parts if my knee. Please give me some insight of this journey of recovery. Thanks

• Posted

Hi all I have had my follow up appointment today, 7 weeks post op on( wednesday) my surgeon said I was on the right track and what I am experiancing with the stiffness heaviness etc and unable to bend my knee (past 42 Degrees) Is normal but I seem to be a little bit behind with the the knee bend, He thought I would be further on than I am but scar tissue is to blame and he said the bend will come I need to push my self as much as possible I have pt 2 times a week and they need to push me more I am back to see the surgeon in 2 weeks time he said he at least wants my knee bend to be 90 degrees when i go back.  He's gave me some tips on how to get more bend and told me to have faith in it and trust it,  has I've been scared of it popping out of place, but he said it won't as its stable now. I feel much better for seeing him and I know now that I am on the right track im just a bit slow recovering but im getting there I just need to get my head positive rather than thinking negative all the time... I will walk properly again im determinded....  my surgeon also said dont forget its major surgery that I've had done, and not many people know about the procedure as not many operations like mine have been done hes only done around 30 trochleoplasty operations  and he said he as come accross a case like mine before were the knee as not recovered quicker than others but times a healer pt will help but its down to the individual to push themselves, good luck everyone on their journey hows everyone getting on ?

speak soon take care    

• Posted

What a nightmare it all is

I'm 7 months post op

And I feel like I've aged 20 years

It's taken all my stamina

I'm unsteady on my feet.

I was never this bad before the op.

• Posted

tell me about it mary people recover differently im like a snail with my recovery I do my exercises and everything ive been told to do i feel my progress is so slow and the window is closing for me regards to a full bend days i wish i wouldnt of gone through with it but hey oh im ok saying that know haha good luck too u and yes i feel like ive aged 30 years im like a old lady at least im getting experiance now for when i do get old lol

• Posted

are you two trying to say you lost some giddy up ....I got so many shiny new parts that I'm thinking of knocking several years off my age. .

• Posted

I find the exercises difficult but as you say 'window of opportunity ' closing. As I am already 'an old lady' .........

• Posted

Nowt wrong been a old lady 😊 I also find the exercises hard I try push my self as much as possible sometimes I think I ain't done as much and could do more but its taking over my life I seen to get up have breakfast massage exercises Lunch exercises Dinner Exercises I cant do much still cant lift my leg up from the straight position in well behind in my recovery I just don't want that window to close 😒 so I am going to do that little bit more each day mind over matter but its so hard when my knee is so stiff and tight some days I think there no light at the end of the tunnel

• Posted

Well done you! My regime is much the same. My greatest problem is bending my knee but I do try.

I can do a leg lift no problem.

Before surgery my knee was bent and I needed a stick to walk. I am now learning to walk straight.

• Posted

I am an old lady, seventy seven and slowly getting there after TKR in July.I look to my mother and mother-in-law for inspiration. They were both well in to their eighties when they had both knees done.No weeks of physio for them, no leisure centre visits, no internet for words of encouragement and they both lived on their own. They got there eventually and both went on to have a few more years,well into their nineties,pain free.

Chico's words are wise words, so are oldfatguy's.They have helped me a lot with their posts.

In the first few weeks I was worried as I tried to push myself doing the exercises.I was in so much pain that trying to bend my knee had me in tears. I eased off and concentrated on rest and ice. I kept walking in the house every couple of hours. Walking from one end of the lounge to the other was an achievement in itself.I bent and straightened my knee as much as I was able without experiencing the excruciating pain.I now walk without any aids, the pain has lessened and I am now  concentrating on fully bending my knee and getting it fully straight. It is so much easier now the pain and swelling are less. I also massage it with Bio oil. I now feel as though I am getting there. Still a way to go but I'm now being positive. I will conquer this and so will you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.