6 weeks post knee operation

Posted , 10 users are following.

Its now 6 weeks post op, and 40 degrees knee flexion my physiotherapist said I am progressing slowly, but my knee is still really stiff and heavy and unable to bend properly ... Is this recovery normal?? I feel so down and depressed I know it wasn't going to be an easy road to recovery but some of the things I have been reading on here seems like I'm the only one unable to bend my knee at the stage I am at?? My thigh muscles are so weak ive been doing the home exercises and using my foam roller I seem to be getting know wer as any one at all had similar problems NY pt said I have lots of scar tissue so ive been massaging my knee I just feel like am in a pickle I go back and see my surgeon next week at Sheffield hope he can give me some answers 😊

2 likes, 73 replies

73 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

7 weeks post op now and just come back from my pt session today 11/11/16 and I am short of 50 degrees knee flexion 😃 So progress is deffo on a up!

My surgeon wants 90 degrees by 21/11/16 thats when you go back for a check up, so I am going to keep going as I have pushing myself each day I can now lay on my front and side comfortably still have a tightness and heaviness around my knee but its not as bad the massage's have helped a hell of a lot, I recommend a foam roller to help bend the knee placing your foot on the roller and move slowly up and down.

I am back at pt next wk tue/fri and looking forward to.see what progress I have made I'm taking everything in as a positive and having fun with the exercises even though its been taking over my life but I am still house bound so I ain't got much else to do haha!

I will keep updating my progress and looking forward to hearing from everyone else's progress take care all 😊

• Posted

Bang on 50 degrees today when my physio measured my progress I thought it would of been just over 50 as it was just short of 50 on friday just gone but small progress is better than no progress i suppose, My pt had me on my front today with my knees just over the bed and he had hold of my knee trying to bend it gradually it was so painful but managed to handle it. I can tell my knee is getting stronger i just wish this heavy stiff feeling would shift, I am practicing to use one crutch around the flat which was scary at first but i am getting more confident in my knee everyday i just need to have faith it will bend again back at the pt sessions on thurs so its hotwater bottle, message, exercise, ice pack until then hope my knee flexion as extended will keep you all updated hope everyone is getting on ok with their recovery  

• Posted

You're doing very well indeed. I manage without a crutch about the house but my physio is not happy about it because without the crutch I don't walk straight.

• Posted

I have been pravtising with one crutch around the flat raising the other up in the air whilst walking im confidant as yet to walk without them yet pt tomorrow so hope my knee bend is in th eup glad your also on the mend and weldone you for walking with no aids around the house just be careful, and what does your physio mean ? is it because you are walking slightly lent forward whilst walking or do you have a limp? hope all works out im back at pt tomorrow hope i have made more progress onwards and upwards good night god bless take care elizabeth biggrin

• Posted

Hi Natalie

If you lay on your bed and hold your leg in the air for sixty seconds, the fluid will run towards the heart and you may be able to flex 55 degrees...

I thibk you are making a nice steady improvement

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Hi, Judith I am only able to lift my leg up a few secs off in the air when im on the bed i was un able to lift it at all a few weeks ago and still wen i do it now it feels so tight and still like there is something hard behind my knee stopping it my muscles are still weak i need more strength in them hope your going on ok with your recovery what is your knee bend at now ?
    • Posted

Hi Natalie

A few seconds. .you are doing well! Each second you hold it up, you are building your muscle strength.

It takes time for the internal swelling to come down Elevate and ice.

So, another exercise...lay on your tummy on the bed....hug a pillow now lift your leg up without bending your knee, hold it, relax...do 5 repetitions each time...do this three times per day.

it's the same exercises reversed so you are developing muscle strength in the front thigh muscles and in the back thigh muscles...will make your leg look nice too

hugs

judith

• Posted

Hi Everyone I went to my physio session today had a deep massage and did a few streches to try bend the knee before we did any of that the therapist measured my knee still 50 degrees and after the seeion he measured again we got 52 degrees i am abit disappointed really has i have been trying really hard all week with trying to bend my knee etc. I am back there next week so hope there will be bigger improvements, also back to see the surgeon in sheffield this monday coming he wants 90 degrees he said as the window is closing. I am trying my best but seems like my best isn't good enough, The exercises are taking over my life thats all i seem to do apart from write a few blogs on here, this site as helped me through my recovery so far  its so difficult at times doing the exercises when i am limited to what  can do sad i just wish the stiff heavy tight feeling would shift beneath my knee. So i could bend it more 

• Posted

I truly feel for you. I am now 11 weeks post op and have begun accupuncture on the suggestion of a family member. To my surprise my knee is straighter. I have been stuck at 5 to 8 degrees and it was 2 yesterday !! The bend has not improved as yet but the pain has receded again. It gets so very disheartening doing the exercises and having now improvement doesn't it 

All the best. 

• Posted

So your 11. Weeks post op and at a bend of between 5-8 degrees and it has fallen to 2 degree's. bend? X

• Posted

Listen you guys. .chin up!

Yes, recovering from TKR is a lot of hardwork...

So Jenni. Natalie...new exercise...

get two bags of ice...I like the frozen gel packs...sit on the floor...wrap the ice around the knee...put your foot flat on the floor...use both hands to hold your ankle...gently pull your ankle toward your butt.. hold5 seconds...pull a bit more...hold 10 seconds. relax....lay down...lift leg straight up.. hold for 1 minute...relax...return to sitting position and repeat it all.

What you are doing is trying to nudge the swelling back to the heart. By using your hands to slide your foot to your butt, you are stretching the joint capsule. The joint capsule is an air tight space around each joint...it contracts after trauma....so you have to strengthen the muscles, stretch the capsule. and pump the swelling back towards the heart.

Do not injure your self but do not baby yourself either.

I am cheering you both on

hugs

judith

• Posted

I will try that I have been sitting on a chair with a plastic carrier bag under my foot and sliding my foot towards me and back to thee front its difficult my leg doesn't move much but chin up like u say, When my partner is back from work I am going to have a hot bath soak my muscles then massage my knee then do the exercise the pt gave me lay on my belly with legs off the bed and get someone to slowly bend the knee back I need more bend by Monday will let u all know how I get on and what the surgeon says take care 😊

• Posted

Hi - I have no swelling whatsoever. It is all gone ! I am operating my accomodation business whic involves cleaning making beds carrying laundry up a flight of stairs etc as well as going to physio twice a week and a pool physio session twice a week as well as accupuncture !! Whew makes me amazed how much I am now doing lol. I also do 3 session per day on my exercise bike. It is great when the knee starts to feel tight as it loosens everything up again. I have the occasional niggling pain in the knee but pretty much only if I have pushed it too much.

Thanks for your kind encouragement !!

• Posted

Hi Natalie

When you sit on the floor, you can still use the plastic bag to glide but be careful it does not slide too easily...you need muscle too

hugs

judith

• Posted

WOW you are coming on leaps and bounds jenni i cant even do the pedals in the physio gym yet u go girl sounds like youare coming on so well, I am managing to use one crutch around the flat i might ask about the pool physio sessions that might do me some good actually my swelling as gone down lots also but still swollen slightly i have been getting muscle spasm's in my thigh on a night and on a morning but once i get going im ok i am still house bound and not as mobile wen i do go out tho i can manage to get in and out of a car bum first going in and legs first getting out haha!! 

anyway you keep going don't over do it though 

much love nataliebiggrin

• Posted

i am abit nervous of sitting on the floor due to the limit of my bend in my knee how do i get down?? im scared i will never get back up again im not the lightest of people i suppose my partner could help me i will let u know how i get on judith 

p.s thanks so much for your support 

many regards natalielol

• Posted

My physio doesn't expect me to do my exercises on the floor. I do mine on the bed and others on a dining chair.

I have not been able to get down on the floor for many years!

• Posted

yes mine as advised me to do it on the bed and the surgeon said to sit some were high up and place your good foot on top of your bad leg just on the ankle and push down sat up straight i dont have a dining table or some were high like that so i have been doing it on my bed and bath board  haha i will try get on the floor but will ask my physio first I am back to see my surgeon on monday i am know were near 90 been trying my best he should measure my progress anyway when Im there, because it would of been 4 days since i have been to physio and i have been doing my routines the best i can it ok for them saying this that and the other but doing it is really hard and draining especially if the exercises are qite difficult with heaviness and pain
    • Posted

You seem to be doing well. I was told to use my good foot to push my bad leg as far back as possible.

On the bed my physio told me to use a strap (belt off a dressing gown) and as I bend the knee use the strap to force the bend further. Hurts big time! I can't get 3X a day..... but hoping to do better next week.

Keep up the good work!

• Posted

seems like we have simular exercises, it does hurt big time mine aches more on a night im not taking as much medz ie codine throughout the day 

I have struggled today been abit lazy with the exercises only done them once today 

• Posted

SUNDAY morning - I've had a lot of pain over night. Not my knee! This morning I am hurting in so many places but most particularly my right hip across my back and down my leg. The new knee is on my LEFT leg! My left foot aches as I walk! I've tried reducing my strong medication but this morning I took them!

I want to get off the strong ones so I can drive.

• Posted

Hi Natalie

Getting stuck on the floor would be awful!

The reason I suggested the floor is because it is easier to gently slide that foot towards your butt.

Just for your info: to sit on the floor, I would first sit on the sofa, then hold the bad leg knee straight out in front of me and then scootch me butt off the sofa to the floor.

To get off of the floor, I moved inbetween the sofa and the coffee table with both legs out in front of me, bad knee near to the coffee table. Then I would use my arms to push up by bending the goid knee while keeping my bad knee straight while I sat back on the sofa.

If you can do the exercise more comfortably, more safely using the bed, go for it!

kind regards

• Posted

That sounds like something that I would be able to do from sofa to floor ams back again I will give it a go back at Sheffield hospital tomorrow to see my surgeon to see how I am getting on
    • Posted

I bet u have other aches and pains cos your using them more I have had abit more pain today I'm having a early night just had a hot bath and it feels much better just done a bit of exercises and it killed but needs must hope your feeling better tomorrow

• Posted

Thanks Natalie / just need to sort out a painful foot. I could hardly walk today...... my foot is so painful. It's something new to moan about! Perhaps it will be fine in the morning. Good night! God bless x

• Posted

I am anxious to hear what Sheffield has to say...sending positive thoughts your way...

hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.