8 WEEKS... WHERE ARE U AT? BODY/THOUGHTS/WORK

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have hit 8 weeks today, from a  TAH.  Would love to hear from others at this point... "How is your body recovering", "How are you dealing with it", and if you are "Back at work", if so... how is that?

2 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I am 4 weeks and 2 days TAH! I kept my ovaries but all else gone! I also has a large cyst removed from one of my ovaries. My op took 4 hours due to previous c sections causing adhesions. Anyway stayed in two nights- I'm a nurse and don't do poorly very well. I am feeling almost back to normal, wind horrible first week or two but wind settlers helped. Took a wee while for bowels to find any normality but fine now. Prior to surgery I was running 4 days a week, not running has been horrid. Am now walking my running route which around 4 miles - I started this at 3 1/2 weeks and no problems. Am booked into Pilates on my 6wk date and hope to start a little jogging into my walk routine at the same time, tbh I feel almost back to normal- no pain at all. 
    • Posted

KAY  smile   i AM SOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!

SOUNDS LIKE YOU REALLY ARE "BOUNCING BACK"!

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT OP TOOK 4 HOURS! WOW! SO GLAD IT WENT WELL!!!!!

YOU GIVE ME HOPE!!!!  I CANT WAIT TO START MY FIT ROUTINE... I TEACH DANCE PART TIME, AND MISS IT SOOOO MUCH!  SHE TOLD ME NO, NOT YET... MY DANCE CLASS IS HIGH ENERGY!

I GUESS.. IN TIME.... WE ALL WILL BOUNCE BACK...

KEEP IT UP GIRL! 

MARY IN THE US

• Posted

Wow! Kay that sounds like a fab recovery, well done to you x My TAH is on 29th Jan, I hope that I don't have too many adhesions (if any), I've had one C Section, how many C Sections had you had prior to your TAH?
    • Posted

I'm sure you will get back to teacheing your classes just fine, after a couple more months xxx

I'm sure we will all bounce back in time, I will literally bounce back (like a ball) if this pregnant looking belly does not go down! LOL xx

• Posted

Hi Mary, oh I think the high intensity dance workout would be some way off for me- a bit scared of my remaining bits falling out lol! 

I think that I worried about missing running so much pre op I wasn't concerned about anything else so I wasn't nervous at all about surgery😀

Best wishes to you returning to dance - in the scheme of things a few months off isn't long (so I keep getting told!!!!) x

• Posted

Hi Luckymum, I had 3 c sections- honestly the surgery was long but I think it has made no difference to my recovery - I woke up at 2pm on a Wednesday and was in my own bed on the Friday night. 

Being fit and healthy to start with gives you the best chance of a good recovery- that's the nurse in me talking but I think I am proof it's true. All the very best on the 29th. Also should add was getting horrid sciatica pre op due to pressure on bladder pressing on nerves - that disappeared immediately.  It has been a positive experience for me x 

• Posted

Hi Kay, I'm not fit as such, I don't really excersize and am probabally about 2 stone overweight (but one of those is down to my FATbroid wink or at least thats what I keep telling myself! LOL) but I do have a physical job, a house, kids etc etc... I'm finding more and more that I'm struggling to do things that use my stomach muscles now or bending down, not paticularly painful just a tight pulling feeling with cramp like pains afterwards. I think that the fibriod must be still growing (it was measured around Sept time and it was 9cm), I've had several small fibroids for about 6 years but apart from heavy bleeding and mid term bleeding they have not really given my much trouble till recently when I started getting a heavy, bouncing feeling/pain when walking and I thought I had a water infection, they scanned me and found at least one of them had grown in size. Since then my bleeding has got much worse sad
    • Posted

you have had a really good recovery. I am 8 weeks 4 days and i wish i feel the same as you do now. My op didnt go to plan but i kept my ovaries.But since the op i have been told i have an enlarged liver. I am 27 years old.Bit of a shock about the enlarged liver x
    • Posted

smile  doc wont let me... I had to cancel all my classes until next session... I CANT wait to dance though! And yes... I have that BABY BELLY look too sad

I kinda squish it in some nice control top tights!  helps a bit!  But then after wearing them all day... I WANT THEM OFF!

• Posted

OH STACEY..sad  that is not good news about the liver... I hope they are going to monitor that?!?! Did they say you will need to get that checked regularly??  Do you have any do's or dont's???

You are young... so I know you can beat this... ALL OF IT!

I hope you keep moving along on your recovery!!!!

Hugs from the US <3>

• Posted

Hi there. Just put up a similar post myself at 6 and a half weeks. Having a grumpy day today. Tummy sore, back ache, still spotting and a bit more than usual. Have extreme fatigue some days though not so bad. Just find it so hard to read my own body and understand where I am up to. Certainly not back at work yet. Think it all depends on what you do.
    • Posted

Hey Sally smile

6.5 weeks... I can understand the grumpy... we are NOT like we should be or like to be, of course we will feel that way sometimes... but why are you still spotting???  What did you have?? And how did they do it???  If we could all read our bodies, we wouldn't need the dr.'s...  But we "try" to...I agree... the work thing should be based on what we do... I am at a desk 75% of my day, but boy...I am BEAT after a full day...

One day at a time I guess... hope you will be feeling better soon smile

• Posted

I had my TAH 8 weeks ago also and still have 2 weeks to go before I go back to work.  I dread going to bed at night as the night sweats are so bad that I hardly get any sleep so am hoping that this improves soon. I have been going out for a walk each day but the more I seem to do the more my tummy hurts. My job involves lifting so am going to see my doctor next week to make sure it is safe for me to return to work as I don't want a prolapse. I feel very alone as my surgeon was very unhelpful when I saw him at my 6 week check up. I think my friends and family think I should be back to normal by now!!!!!!
    • Posted

It sounds like a long length of time, and one would be healed by now.. but what we had was MAJOR SURGERY... I have to remind myself that.

Yes... people think I should be BOUNCING about, but I cant just yet..... I think we need to feel what our body says... we get tired.. STOP... we hurt.. STOP...

I was not too happywith my dr. either sad

I opened up incision 2x... and the cut is not that pretty... I think a lil' crokked too sad  I am also swollen BIGGER on the left, then sewed in, then smaller on the right.. looks like an egg baby in me, lol..

but I will wait it out...

If you lift... PLEEEEEEASE wait... and then you need to do this:  crouch down in a squat and LEAN FORWARD  a bit... that my dr. did tel lme.. its less pressure on the incision and area where you had the surgery!

Good luck my friend!

Mary - USA smile

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. I will certainly take your advice when lifting. I will make sure I start listening to my body a bit more. At least my scar is very neat and tidy albeit a bit red and sore. 
    • Posted

Your so welcome!  Glad the scar is looking good smile

I am going to buy some vitamin E creme today.. time to start!

My dr. wouldn't let me while it was still really red and fresh.. I think I  am good now ...

Keep us posted!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.