9 month update

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hallo guys and gals - just a quick update on 9 months post TKR. Pain gone, some stiffness some days. Can walk several miles, ride a bike and do some limited kneeling. Thought folks might also find it useful to know that it seems perfectly ok to "sunbathe" your knee - i had a great holiday in France this July in temperatures of 28 to 36 degrees and my knee was fine - didn't overheat or anything out of the norm. Flexiseq is keeping my other arthritic knee relatively pain free because i definitely do not want another op. I feel for all of you going through those few early post op months. It can be grim but it certainly gets better and i'd probably have my 2nd knee done if i could, say, be in an induced coma or such like, for those first few weeks!!!

Good luck all

Tess x

4 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi tess94652

Well done to you. You must have done everything right that your physios advised. I am only 1 month PO Left TKR. I would like to ask you though, how many times per day did you go thru the full range of exercises. And at what stage were you able to bend your knee properly (without) that dreadful stiff band of pressure which is causing me so much anxiety. I've just had to ask my GP for even stronger Gabapentin because 100 mg is not sufficient to control pain when the stabbing/shooting pains begin. You say you have some stiffness some days. Is there any reason why your pain free the other days. Just wondering.

Your doing so great. Power to you.

• Posted

I'm 12 weeks since TKR. I followed the exercise routine three times each day even though the early weeks were hell. I think along with taking the pain killers (codeine phosphate and paracetamol 2 of each 4 times each 34 hours) helped. I could reach 90 by two weeks and 120 by four weeks when my physiology told me I did not need to see him again. I am 6'3" and 215 lbs aged 74. Perseverance is the key and no cheating.

My best wishes to you and all esprcially those not as luck as me.

• Posted

Hi Margaret747

Did my excercises 2 to 3 times a day (though some days early on felt too ill to do much!) Could bend beyond 90 degrees to about comfortable sitting position by about 2, 2.5 months aso straighten to within 4 degrees. Can't really remember when that horrible band of stiff pressure eased - think it went off gradually but it definitely isn't there now thank heavens! I do feel for you cos it's not nice and i worried over it too at the time. Also the stabbing shooting pains went at about 4 months. At 6 months i felt human again so chin up, things will definitely improve big time. An honest assessment of present status quo for me now is: yes i know some of the time i've got an artificial knee - it feels a bit wooden sometimes and i'm aware of the supporting muscles having to work hard. But that sensation lessens if i continue walking/cycling/whatever after a bit. I have no significant pain in my knee at all now - it can ache for a short while if i lie with other knee on top of it at night, but i don't need any pain killers for my op knee at all. So like i say everything will improve with time and it's so good to get some mobility back (e.g.i can actually get in and out of the bath pretty easily now) i'm sure it will be the same for you once the early nightmare times are over.

Strength and patience to you!

Tess x

• Posted

Can't really remember when that horrible band of stiff pressure eased -

Tess what was the above due to do you know? Jean xx

• Posted

I'm not medically qualified to know really, but i do know a TKR involves a lot of cutting, involving muscles and nerves big time so my guess is that's the cause. I still have "dead" areas to the side of my knee for instance, which is caused by nerve damage i'm told.

Tess x

• Posted

So pleased to read your news Tess! I am 5.5 months post TKR on the right knee, and it is still a little painful so your news has cheered me. I have my left knee done on Thursday this week. It is so bad. I think this is why my right knee has started to hurt again, it is not yet healed and has had to do a lot of work for a few weeks now. Great to hear positive news, I am looking forward to 9 months time, maybe both my knees will be as good as yours. Fingers crossed.
    • Posted

Elaine, I am hoping your next one goes well!
  • Posted

Could you "run" or be athletic such tennis at 9 months. Just trying to get an idea how long I will have to wait to play again.
    • Posted

Maybe at 73 tennis and running are bit beyond my scope! But maybe not for you....good luck

Tess x

• Posted

Hi Tess that's brilliantI'm 19 week post op and went back to gym st 12 week and work at 15 week in primary school managing fine but stiffness and bit of swelling by 3.30I'm hoping another few week will sort that out going to benidorm for new year so next goal is to be able to wear heels on new year eve (not high ones ) but something other than flatties xxx
    • Posted

Wow Linda - that sounds like express recovery to me - well done!

Tess x

• Posted

Thank you for your post! Gives me hope!!!
    • Posted

Hi Debz13

I remember how much this site helped me in the early days post op - sharing info and personal experiences helped such a lot in getting through the dark days! Certainly be hopeful, it all does change!

Tess x

• Posted

The hopefulness comes and goes. Some days I feel like giving up, other days not. When my surgeon told me yesterday he was pleased with my progress I felt like maybe all this will be worth it.

Yes, I am so grateful for this site!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.