Aches and pains withdrawing

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone

I am on 7.5 from 10 for a couple of weeks now and am feeling good mentally but physically I'm aching all over. Anyone experienced this?

0 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi Lina i was on these for 3 years on 20mg a day i came off them without realising the side effects

i soon went back on them im now fully off them its taken me just over 12 months by cutting down gradually i bought a pill cutter i found that each time i drop slightly down i still recived side effects but i just ignored them even when i was in the last 2.5 mg the side effects where still there but each time i reduced the effects got less and less now im fully free from them i did this with the help of this forum which im very grateful for so yes you will feel aches as i did but they will stop it just takes time

• Posted

Hi Suki

Thanks, that's very reassuring to hear. I agree, this forum is great, it has helped me also. Do you mind me asking what symptoms you had withdrawing with regards to aches and pains? I seem to be aching all over, like the flu but without the coughing and sneezing. My neck, shoulder, knees and elbow joints all ache. Thanks.

• Posted

some people get more severe withdrawals than others! ive literally had every symptom imaginable xx

• Posted

My lightheadedness is back today, does this come and go with you Toria?

• Posted

hi lina, yes i does, every symptom seems to cycle round and round, the worst for me is racing thoughts and anxiety as never had them until withdrawal, i cope with pain quite well xx

• Posted

Yes I would rather cope with the side effect that is pain rather than dizziness. You're right, symptoms seem to come in cycles, I thought I was over the dizzy part, apparently not. 😊

• Posted

lina honestly the first 7 months i was in fear nearly 24/7 it was horrible, no one should ever reduce too quickly, i knew it was withdrawal as id just gone through it but others panic go to docs they say its your anxiety and up meds xx

• Posted

isnt that awful how doctors confuses side effects with anxiety.

• Posted

Yes, I'm quite sure you're right. Thank goodness for this site so we can share our experiences and learn from one another.😊

• Posted

The aches and pains are normal, Lina..... when I cut down to 2.5 last year, my knees were agony for a while. Its very odd, not sure why it happens.

Ruth xxx

• Posted

Hi Ruth

Thanks for your replies to my posts. Sorry for the late response, I'm 5 days into a migraine and only just coming out of it. I'm glad you are feeling better and responding well to acupuncture. Thanks for the reassurance about the aches and pains, they are still with me but I am coping better. I have to keep reminding myself that once I level out on 7.5 then I will start feeling normal again, hopefully. Whether I will reduce further after this, I'm not sure. The thought of going through withdrawals again is off-putting. I'm not going to go back up to 10 either. Hope you continue to make good progress. Best wishes x

• Posted

Hey Lina, no worries. Migraines are awful.

I'm still getting occasional headaches on these....

How are you, mood wise? Hopefully things have evened out? I notice that I'm a lot better when I'm occupied with something, and around people. Some days I still feel a bit 'flat'. However, not getting the big ups and downs that I was... Its nearly a year ago that I got quite depressed again, and I think that's on my mind again.

But generally, life is good, and I'm making steady progress. But it's very slow..... this time around..... slow progress. Still having bonkers dreams early in the morning. Do you find you dream a lot with these tablets?

• Posted

Hi Ruth

I still get weird dreams like you say, seems to happen before I wake up in the mornings but they are nothing like the nightmare dreams I was getting. They used to be like watching a horror movie and quite disturbing, even when I think about it now. These days they are just weird. I get moments when I feel so low I cry but it passes. I try to snap myself out of it but it's not easy. I get headaches a lot too, I usually feel it about an hour after taking citalopram but I try to ignore that too. Sometimes worrying about all these niggles bring on a tension headache too. Yesterday I felt lightheaded again but that could be my migraine. That's how I am at the moment, not knowing if it's definitely the reduction in dose and the messing around with dosage before I reduced. I still could be getting withdrawal/increase side effects although there is always that little niggle in my mind wondering if there could be something else wrong with me. I know I have neck arthritis so I could be getting cervicogenic headaches, or it could all be tension. the mind boggles. My doctor is sending me for physiotherapy for my neck and shoulder. He knows about me reducing but didn't say anything about it. I asked him for diazepam some time ago but he doesn't prescribe it, I didn't pursue it because I could see it was a no no. I get good days too and that's what gives me hope but I have these aches that come and go which I never had before reducing. I do tense myself up a lot, even in bed I notice and I'm a terrible worrier.

I think when you have been through something like depression, for me anxiety, it will always be in the back of your mind, those horrible feelings and the fear of them coming back again. I try to think back before then when I was feeling great and I am holding onto that and trying to accept that this is an episode in my life that has happened but it's going to pass. I try to stay positive otherwise it will get a hold on me because I like staying in control of my emotions. I still have everyday stresses like everyone else, I have an elderly mother and I have to see to her needs, take her shopping, do some cleaning for her, take her to appointments etc and she's trying in herself. My husband has type 2 diabetes and he's an insomniac, although he's quite active I'm noticing he's getting more aches and pains these days. My cat has a heart condition for which I give him meds four times a day and his eyesight is deteriorating, so is his sisters ( I have two cats from the same litter and they are like kids to me). My daughter is very independent and has her own home and with her I just worry about boyfriends and her hazardous job. Sorry, sounding off a bit but it helps.

All we can do is try to stay positive and have faith.

Keep in touch

Best wishes x

• Posted

with all that you are going thru i would never come off the celexa.best regards

• Posted

Thanks Lois

That's not all, I could go on some but I'd be here all evening.

If I knew they would work for me like they used to I wouldn't come off them but I was feeling unwell and needed to try something. When the doc tells you you're ok but you don't feel ok, I felt I had to try something😊.

• Posted

thats the same way i felt but i had to try five different ones to finally settle on celexa

• Posted

If I can settle on 7.5 and feel well on them I'll be more than happy. Maybe this reduction will suit me better in the long run. I will give it more time, I have to. Thanks for your continued support😊

• Posted

Hi Toria

The withdrawal was to much to bear so I went back on.😊

• Posted

without this forum i would of ended in a mental institution.this forum has thought me everything there is to know about these meds.at one point i was yoyoing the antid.like crazy .thinking for sure they would work in two weeks .boy was i wrong.

• Posted

ive basically been in withdrawal in one way or another for 2 years, i was rushed into hospital they thought i had ms and gave me a strong course of steriods i ended up with steriod induced pychosis and it was only a bad migraine then docs ploughed me with med after med one of them being mirtazapine which i had worked hard to get off, and went through hell, ive been on cit for years but im getting off it no matter what! the doctors have poly drugged me for years, like they thought i had restless leg syndrome so gave me amitryptyline but it was mirtazapine causing it then they give you something for amit side effects and on and on and on xx

• Posted

I agree, this forum is great. There is no better healer than sharing your health issues with others who are experiencing similar issues or have done so and still share their experiences, such as yourself. There is no one else I know personally who I could comfortably talk to who would understand how I feel, yet here I can talk to a complete stranger and feel as if I have known them for some time.

I too didn't understand this med enough to realise the implications of it's side effects/withdrawal effects, it's been a hard learning curve for sure.😊

• Posted

toria you should private message paula on this forum she went thru the same drama for three years .and getting all kinds of misdiagnos.and same meds like you.now after three years she feels normal again it took her a while to get rid off all meds but she is doing well.it was a complete night mare for her.

• Posted

thanks lois πŸ˜ƒ but i have my own support group on facebook that i started last year, after having terrible withdrawal from mirt i know that this even though its more brutal will pass xx

• Posted

Hi Toria

So sorry to hear you've been through all of that for what turned out to be a migraine. How on earth that wasn't picked up beats me. I understand what you mean now about your long list of withdrawal symptoms, must have been horrendous coming off those meds. After all that, you are now battling citalopram withdrawal. Like you say, doctors don't seem to realise the extent of the side effects of these meds . How could they if they prescribe more meds to deal with the side effects. It's a vicious circle. I understand why you want to be med free and I hope you find peace soon, after all, you've come through the worse now hopefully. My GP tries to keep to his timetable, on my last appointment I went in 10 minutes early, which means some of his other patients didn't get their full time with him, I was less than 5 minutes before I was rushed out, at least that's what it felt like. I know they are under pressure these days but it just means that people will go back if they are not satisfied all be it with another GP from the same practice. I really hope you start to feel better soon. Take care x😊

• Posted

i was mis diagnose with rumathoid arthritis.and it was an interaction with ziplocone..once i came off the ziplicone my severe joint pain vanish.doctors havent a clue so sad .

• Posted

aw thank you lovely πŸ˜ƒ you can always message me here if you need to talk about a symptom etc, probably guaranteed ive had it haha xx

• Posted

ive been on zopiclone for many years doctors are brilliant arent they NOT xx

• Posted

I was misdiagnosed with a heart murmer by a young doctor. I had a series of tests and hospital appointments that lasted for several weeks before I was eventually told there was nothing wrong with my heart. During this waiting time my anxiety went sky high. Never had it before then. I had palpitations and shortness of breath during this period which was all due to the anxiety and stress of it all. That's when I started Citalopram.

• Posted

It's great that you have a good sense of humour, that's the best way to be and will help with your recovery I'm sure. 😊

• Posted

wow thats the same reason i went on celexa because i was having heart issues that only i can feel but doctors couldnt find any issues with my heart.

• Posted

the only way out is through! we have to laugh to keep us going xx

• Posted

laughter is healthy.but is hard to laugh when other people are sick.

• Posted

Yes I agree with you. We have to remain positive, how else an we cope with life's ups and downs.😊

• Posted

Yes, of course it is. All we can do for those we know are sick is to be supportive in any way we can, just as people such as yourself are doing on this site. 😊

• Posted

i try really hard to help as much as possible because i know the feeling all too well.thank goodness iam recovered.best regards.

• Posted

i believe laughter helps sick people and being positive does a great deal too xx

• Posted

I am quite certain that your support is invaluable, you can be assured of that😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.