amitriptyline withdrawal

Posted , 100 users are following.

Hi all, i have tried unsuccessfully to withdrawal from amitriptyline twice.  every time i get down to 5mg i start with awful symptoms, bad headaches, nausea, belching, abdominal cramps, back ache and  my bowels get so upset they feel like they are swollen i get bloated have wind and abdomen feels bruised. has anyone experienced this also?   

9 likes, 915 replies

915 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Happy Easter everyone 😊 Today I got up had some breakfast, did some house work then went for a nice walk for some fresh air. When I came back my stomach was acting quite hungry had the gnawing hungry feeling in my tummy. But after i ate the gnawing tummy feeling is still there! I have not experienced this before i always have the nasty nausea but this is new. 😔 Has anyone experienced this?? My anxiety is though the roof today so I'm extra worried or course. 😟

• Posted

Hi Tiffany, Amanda, Sammy, Edie and All out there,

Again I've been away from wi-fi for a week and trying to follow what's happening you all of you on my phone.  I'm on a real computer today which makes catching up with stuff easier.

Tiffany, sorry you're feeling no good today.  The one thing I haven't had with this withdrawal is nausea which seems weird as it seems like a very common symptom.  I hope the nasty nausea passes for you soon.

Amanda and Sammy - I hope you are both still doing well.

I'm all packed and ready and heading of to Chile, Cuba, Portugal and Paris tomorrow.  I think most of my luggage is made up of sleeping pills and powders (naturopath, over-the-counter, Melatonin and Temazapam from the GP).  So, it's all natural apart from the Temaz which I will only be taking in desperation.  However, in the last week I have had some 6-7 hour sleeps and the nights that I've been waking up I've only been awake for 2 hours (instead of the usual 4) which is quite acceptable at this stage. 

As of tomorrow I will be back to just using my phone and limited wi-fi but will still be checking up on everyone and will send short updates when I can.

Well done everyone.  It's now over a years since Amanda started this thread and we're still hanging in there.  I am so happy to be off Ami :-)

Thanks everyone 

xox

• Posted

Hey Sheena 😊

I'm happy to hear your sleep is slowly improving! What an adventure you are having!😁 sound amazing! Yes hopefully this will pass soon. Now i have headaches, nausea and anxiety all normal according to everything I have read. On the bad days I just take it easy and breathe. I have some natural remedies for sleep and anxiety so that helps smile 2.8 tonight and 13 days until I'm off of it completely then the real healing can start ???

• Posted

Hi Sheena glad your getting a little bit of sleep and glad your positive re being off of Ami. Im still fine apart from peri menopausal issues now and still a sore neck but, i too am so glad to be off of Ami xx
    • Posted

Hi Sheena nice to hear from you and so happy that your sleep has improved, mine is still a bit crappy but that is due to menopause lol. Still get spacey vibration feeling on and off but am now tapering of the diazepam so I suppose to be expected, but overall still glad to be off the ami.

Wow we will have to change your name to the something more exciting your like a true traveling Wilbury. Hope you enjoy your trip will keep you up to date with everyone's progress, I think we have all done extremely well.

talk soon xxxxx

• Posted

Hi Sammy,

How often are you taking the diazepam and how much? Does it help? I've got the Temazapam which I think is the same thing. I did try 10mg a couple of times when I wasn't really sleeping much at all and it didn't seem to do anything. I had 20mg one night which helped a bit. I'm going to try them once or twice a week while I'm away especially for the first 4 weeks when I'm sharing a room.

Didn't sleep much last night so will be taking my pills including

Temazapam on the plane tonight and hopefully get some sleep on the 13+hr flight.

xox

• Posted

Hey Sheena Diazepam is a long acting benzo, I have been trying to get off this for years and this is why they prescribed the ami because no one really understood the withdrawal effects of the Valium. So diazepam is the devil that started this rollercoaster of meds. So all up I have been on this for 12 years. 

They are similar but diazepam is slightly more longer acting than temazepam. I just want off all the drugs so I'm probably not the best person to ask lol although if it helped with sleep I think I would probably stay on a low dose. 😁 Happy flying ?? 

• Posted

Hi Sammy,

At the moment I'm only taking Temazapam about once a week as I definitely don't want to exchange one problem medication for another. I've got to take at least 20mg for it to work at all. I'm going to start on the Melatonin tonight and, if that works, l might not need any more Temazapam. Fingers crossed xox

• Posted

Amanda

How long have you been on this medication ?

You could reduce the dose by the days, take your medication  5mg ONCE EVERY TWO DAYS for a week.

Next week every three days, Now you take this drug every five days for two weeks then off the drug

BOB

• Posted

Thanks all - So I've been off them for nearly a month and doing much better. Have definitely been getting more and more headaches which is bearable I suppose. Only other thing I have noted - has anyone else been disturbed in the night and waking up to pee? I don't drink a massive amount and usually sleep through, but I've been waking up more and more and absolutely bursting for a wee every morning lately!!!?

• Posted

Hey Hails The getting up to pee is par for the course I'm afraid, not everyone gets this side effect but I certainly did they call it nocturia sometimes if you eat about 10 sultanas before bed it helps sounds weird but it helps.

It can make you pee 3 or 4 times a night, hopefully as time goes on it where's off a bit, I am down to once or twice a night. Hope this helps xxx

• Posted

Yep. I went on Ami to stop peeing every 5 seconds, and it worked like a charm. I was SO thrilled because before Ami, I was getting up around 8 times a night, which makes it  impossible to go back to sleep. But then I started having weird side effects from the Ami, so I quit taking it.  I’ve been off it for several months now, maybe 5 or so? I’ve lost count. But the frequent peeing is just now kicking in and I’m peeing like crazy. BUT there is another drug my urologist gave me and it’s called Urispas (Flavoxate). It’s an older drug, kinda of like Pyridium that you’d take for a bladder infection that causes your bladder to spasm, but there is no dye in it, so it’s just a white anti-spasmodic pill. Either way, it’s a BIG help and I only have to pee once or twice now in the middle of the night. Would LOVE to not have to pee at all during the night, but twice a night is a lot better than 8 times a night. See if your doctor will prescribe Urispas for you. I’ve never had any side effects from it and it’s non addictive, so there will be no withdrawals should you decide to stop taking it for some reason.  Good Luck!!!
  • Posted

How do you measure going down 1 mg when it’s in pill form?
    • Posted

Hey Campbell,

Some people were able to get the liquid form of amitriptyline. I am not sure where you are but I'm in Canada and the liquid is not available here. I bought a pill crushed and a fairly cheap jewellery scale off of Amazon. So I crush my pills and then weigh them which has worked great for me. Others have used a water titration there is a post with instructions on this forum. Hope this helps 😊

• Posted

Hey Sammy, Edie, Sheena, Amanda and everyone else 😊

Just an update I am now down to 1.6 tonight 7 days until I hit zero! This past week was rough body aches, headaches, nausea ( of course😔wink. Today and yesterday I felt pretty good mild to no nausea and no headache. But just when I thought I was out of the woods BAM the headaches, pains and nausea came back with a vengeance tonight. Oh well at least I had 2 days where I felt a bit better. Since I have been going down I have had no issues with dizziness or fainting 😊 so I must have had a bad reaction to this med.

I hope you are all doing well 😊 thanks for all your help and support ? it means so much to me.

Tiffany

• Posted

Glad your having some good days Tiffany, just keep focused and remember you will feel better soon xxx
    • Posted

Hi Tiffany wow go you! I'm so pleased for you, one more week to go and you are off thank goodness I can imagine how relieved you must feel. I'm so happy that you have had no more fainting episodes or dizziness.

My advice for anyone: do your homework before taking pharmaceuticals, yes they can be life saving but they can also be detrimental, and Drs haven't the time to research the truthfulness of the trials of these drugs, they believe everything the pharmaceutical companies tell them.

Take carexx

• Posted

Hey Sammy 😊

I expect that I will have a few rotten days here and there once I'm off but at least there is no more going into my body!!! Unless it's a severe case where I NEED a med to survive they will have a hard time convincing me to take any meds after this! Even though i feel like garbage today I know I'm better off without this stuff! How are you?

• Posted

Hi Sammy. 

An update from the 76year old me.

Ami. reduced from 25 to 20 per night, 3 weeks ago. Feeling ok and no side effects.

Codeine reduced to only 8mg per night instead of 30.  Slight constipation, but dealing with that. 

Sleep pattern improving, and if I have a not so good night's sleep I know that working on my PC or Laptop  late at night is to blame, or maybe it's the wee cup of tea at midnight.

At 76yrs, our systems become child like, hence the caution and respect for any medication.

I'm learning to play the piano!!!! and find that practicing for about an hour before going to bed helps me sleep. No to TV, PC, and TEA

My RLS is manageable. Severe restrictions on Coffee, Chocolate, and anything that has Sugar.

I'll  update with more positive results.

God Bless.

• Posted

Hi Thistles

Well done every decrease is a step in the right direction so glad for you.Just remember at any time that you feel effects stay at that dose and give yourself time to stabilize, that is the most important thing I have learnt over time, it is better to come down gently and smoothly.

Go you with the Piano, I learnt way back when I was 6 but don't play now, but my daughters play beautifully all self taught and very gifted. My mum went back and learnt againin her late 60's and loved it. 

I am pleased that everything is going well for you.

take carexxx

• Posted

Hey Tiffany

Wow the countdown is now on, not long now and you will be rid of this horrible med, so pleased for you.

I am going through another rough patch, the ami reeked havoc on my ears right from the beginning but no one put two and two together so they have gone from leaking fluid constantly to being dry as the Sahara with ear eczema, the tinnitus is roaring at the moment and the itching is annoying but the worst is vertigo, so frustrating, hopefully it doesn't stick around for to long. I can still do most things but bright lights especially in shops is a big no no. Anyway glad to hear you are doing so well.

Take care xxxx

• Posted

Hi Sammy

Oh no I'm sorry to hear that some issues have popped up just when you think it's all over. That has been my experience this week a couple days feeling decent then a couple crappy nausea, headache, emotional days. Just when I get my hopes up BAM. I was pretty upset at first but then I remembered even though I tapered slowly it's not like it makes the withdrawals non existant! Some people took a year to get off of 10mg much slower than my 50 days and they still experienced crappy days at the end too. So I just need to power through these bad days. Today my nausea was not great but I also had slight burning in my throat and lots of burping...im guessing this is another withdrawal symptom? Ugh ill be so happy when this is over. Last dose tonight finally!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.