Ankle surgery recovery

Posted , 9 users are following.

hello all, I broke my ankle AUGUST 19th . I HAD SURGERY ON SEPTEMBER 9,2019. dor the past two weeks ive been feeling weird sensations inside of my ankle where its numb. IT FEELS LIKE SOMETHING IS CONSTANTLY MOVING AROUND AND FOLLOWING BY BURNING TWITCHING SHARP PAINS ECT... im nervous because of the movements it feels strange to me and its consistant. i told my doctor they say its normal that the berves are trying to come back together but why the weird movements? please has anyone experienced this before im worried. thank you.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Trust the doctor to tell you if something is wrong even though it's hard to believe there isn't. I have had at different times so far ,the feeling like metal protruding out of my foot, like I have blisters in back of my heel and on top of foot, pins and needles, a feeling like there's a tight elastic band around my ankle, a feeling like I'm stepping on a rock, a feeling like my little toe is caught on something just to name a few, a burning feeling in my foot.. Thats why this site is good ,It proves you're not nuts. Recover is slow and sometimes you go backwards. It's very humbling.

• Posted

im most definitly trying to listen to them. I JUST felt like they were not taking me serious. its just scary feeling these new moving things inside of me. I APPRECIATE YOU! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE RESPONSE!

• Posted

i never broke anything in my life and I would have thought, break an ankle put on a cast and your good to go ...never in my life did i ever think this was going to be so hard. Don't forget your feet bears the most weight so it's worse than knee and hip. I freaked when I saw my foot. It was hard to believe it was ever going to look normal. I get edema still and ankle is swollen but it looks more like foot now.

• Posted

same here!! i cried when i saw my leg after surgery. this is mentally draining i tell ya.

• Posted

doctor is telling you correctly Its your nerve endings healing

You will experience lots of different weird sensations as you heal

• Posted

it just feels like something is moving in there like alive... I know it sounds crazy bit thats the only way to describe it. thank you all so much for the fast responses!!! thank you for reasurance.

• Posted

I also felt like the screws in my ankle were popping out

Also like aliens were moving around in there! lol!

Im 12 weeks post op and feeling more and more like myself everyday

Its a long and emotional road back

• Posted

I think I was going nuts your right felt like worms very depressing I'm telling you it was alot of different feelings one I feelings like usually worry most about is when it feel like someone pulling my foot very fast

• Posted

sandraaaaaa it do feel like an alien. ITS SO UNCOMFORTABLE. i was so afraid because everyone was looking at me like im crazy. i know what i feel and thats exactly what it feels like..

• Posted

thats why im depressed because all i could do was think there were worms in my ankle but everyone thinks im crazy . thats what it feels like to me worms worms worms lol

• Posted

put it this way , at first one of my friends thought i was just overreacting . Ironically her brother in law was going through the same thing and also saying the same things I was saying along with the same complaints. He and I don't talk to each other discussing our recovery so now she know the hard long recovery is for real!

• Posted

Lawsy yeah! Snap, crackle, pop, crunch, etc. I had a wonderful PT gal who explained & answered my many questions so well. Takes about 3 months for bones to fully heal and much longer (many, many months) for tissue to heal. She also told me, several times, that some of the pain & weird crunching/caving feelings my ankle are due to the tissue re-conforming itself. Hearing all that & following her directions in general have helped my peace of mind so much.

Also, bigggg shout out to the great group of folks on this board!!! Great support! Plus, just feeling "understood" has helped me tremendously. xox

• Posted

I have a question for those going to Physical therapy outside of home. Does it only consist of exercising? Or are whirlpool baths for your foot and stuff like that involved?

• Posted

my PT is exercise

Check with your local gym in the area or YMCA even your orthopedic office might have whirlpool

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.