Anxiety when something is wrong

Posted , 15 users are following.

I would like to know how many of you live in dread and fear of something horrible being wrong with you or happening to you? For the last year, I am almost in a total panic that I have something horrible. The menopause has made me so afraid, I get these daily health emails and its always about cancer or heart disease, and I know this information is meant to be useful and helpful, it makes my anxiety worse. Anything dealing with cancer is scary to me. I never was like this before, I had a rational approach. I just wondered if this is happening to other people, the other issue I am noticing is nausea, some of the other women here have said its apart of menopause too and I am now thinking whats next? I have anxiety, heat flashes, and now bad stomach issues. Any advice would be great.

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Oh lenie, I,m right there with you trust me, just wanted you to know there are lots of us just like you. I constantly obsess that I,m dying of something horrible - I have panic atacks, nausea, severe fatigue, dizziness, spaced out feelings, stomach issues I,m sure because I get in a state about everything, nausea oh my gosh the list goes on and on and its awful. I feel for you its not nice - every single day its something else and I am looking for things aaalllll the time and if I,m not suffering from something you can bet your bottom dollar by the end of the day I have something else horrible that I,m dying from - seems like so many of us are right there with you, bless your heart xx
  • Posted

Hi Lenie

You didn't mention whether you have suffered from anxiety before meno hit you....

I am in perimenopause (confirmed blood tests) and one of my symptoms is anxiety and panic attacks...not every month, but occasionally.

I however do have anxiety before perimenopause hit, but o n l y ,moderate well controlled on a low dose of Ad.

Anyways, my doctor told me last month that unstable and lowering hormone levels cause anxiety and panic in perimenopause and post menopause.

So don't worry about the cause...It is hormonal....similarly, I too tend to have health anxiety and worry about my kids and husband whenever they have any symptom of anything... thinking always the worst.

I would say my anxiety always jumps straight to health anxiety...but I now help myself with understanding (knowing it's hormonal) and reassuring myself it will pass. I also do not read any articles about cancer or other awful illnesses, not because I am in denial, but because I know in my case, it is not going to help me, but trigger more anxiety.

I do find my ad (effexor xr low dose 75mg) has helped me enormously. I have been on it for 1 year and it is the best ad I have been on for anxiety (I have been on sertraline 10 yes and before that paxil). I am able to think more clearly and rationally and am more calm without the irrational anxious thinking. Also no side effects for me. I do have the odd break through anxiety and last month 1 panic attack, but know it was hormonal and breathed through it and took a benzodiazapine (xanex) prescribed by my doctor to deal with the odd break-through panic or hormonal anxiety.

Anyways, some suggestions for you That helped me.

Best of luck and keep smiling.

Sydneymum

• Posted

Hi Sydney, no I never had anxiety till peri menopause. I also am no longer reading the emails about health crises. I also got tested and I was told I am in the middle of it so all of these symptoms started at the same time. The nausea is hard to deal with, I'm going to get some ginger tea.
  • Posted

hi lenie sorry to hear youre having such a bad time.  i can understand everything youre going through mine was convinced was having a heart attack then i looked up cancer and tumours and every other illness i could think of.  my help came thru my doc who referred me for counselling as i didnt want to go on medication and i have to say it has improved 100% now i understand what my brain and body are doing to me.  i know it not for everyone but maybe look into as well as taking vitamins and taking advice from these very knowledgeable women on this site.
  • Posted

Hello lenie

You're not alone in feeling the way you do. Anxiety is a major part of this time of our lives. I've had similar feelings in which I've convinced myself I have cancer or something equally as likely to take me away from my daughter and my elderly mother whom I care for. My anxieties are, at the moment, based around acid /indigestion problems, I've convinced myself I have something bad which is making my symptoms worse, so more panic, more symptoms etc and we get stuck in a very vicious circle. A lot of us feel this way, and unfortunately its just another symptom that the Drs just dont take seriously. Its hard but take a little comfort in knowing that, hopefully, we'll all get out the other side and get our lives back.

Best wishes, Lisa x

• Posted

Hi Lisa. I have just read your notification to Lenie and notice that you have anxieties relating to acid/ indigestion. May I ask how the indigestion affects you as I am in peri but with the same anxiety. I have not had indigestion this bad before. I feel as if I've been punched in the back, have sore ribs and a tenderness under the breast across the stomach. Like you I convince myself that it's something else like cancer or heart problems but underneath it all I know it's not. It seems we get into this viscious circle of worry don't we? I sometimes think im turning into a hypochondriac but the symptoms are real. It's one thing after another in peri isn't it?

Hope things settle for you soon.

Helen.

• Posted

Hello Helen

Mine sounds very similar. It started out of the blue about 10 weeks ago when I woke up with what felt like indigestion and heartburn. It didn't really get much better so I went to the Dr who did the heart basics and said it wad reflux and gave me lansoprazole which did nothing but give me a pain in my belly so I stopped taking them. I've now got a constant tender spot across my left breast, a burning sensation that comes and goes in my throat and across my back which is horrible and an acid, yukky taste in my mouth. All if which I panic about which is intensifying the symptoms I suspect. My GP, who to be honest isn't brilliant, said that some "of a certain age" can get hormonal fluctuations that affect the smooth muscle and can cause reflux. It freaked me out cos I've never really been a heartburn sufferer. I hate it and I feel like a hypochondriac at times. I get really low moods and I find myself thinking about dying a lot lately which just isn't like me. Its so horrible isn't it .

Sending you a comfort hug. Lisa x

• Posted

Lisa it is horrible. It's obviously a sign of us getting older. I think underneath it all we know this but we are battling with our hormones so much that we have the anxiety to contend with too.

I just wish peri would be over quickly so we can feel some normality. But what's normal? I think I have forgotten!!

Big hugs to you too.

Let us know how you are getting on.

Helen.

• Posted

I've forgotten what it feels like to be normal too.

I think you're right, we declare war on ourselves and make ourselves feel dreadful.

My last consultation with my GP, who is a nice man but not a very clued up gp when it comes to women's health said " its all just a natural thing you ladies go through, just embrace the changes".! Only a bloke could spout such c**p. I told him there is nothing natural about feeling like you've been hit by a bus, and id like to see him get through every working day feeling like that!

I hope you find something that makes you feel better. Lisa x

• Posted

Lisa. I don't think men will ever understand what it's like being a woman but you would expect a doctor to have a miniscule of understanding!! We can hope I suppose.

Do you not have a lady doctor? Mind you the lady doctors I go to are too young themselves to really understand. I'm on HRT so I thought things would be better but I'm seriously thinking of coming off or trying something different because it's been one thing after another. HRT has certainly helped with the flushes and joint pain but it has brought along many other symptoms!!

Hugs.

Helen.

• Posted

Unfortunately my GP practice is very small and is just one Dr and a locum to cover when he's not there.

I'm not on HRT, my periods are very irregular and I've had all the usual peri symptoms - breast tenderness, anxiety, mood swings, thinning hair, weight gain, reflux, fatigue, dizziness etc. Mine started about 4 years ago she I was just 39. I've had Fsh blood results ranging from 9 to 19 which apparently is on the high side. My GP wouldn't prescribe HRT because he doesn't think I'm in peri even though I feel I obviously am!

Bug hugs back. Lisa x

• Posted

Have you heard Lisa about H pylori? I'd not heard about it before I came on this forum and now with my anxiety I'm convinced that's what's wrong with me. It's more than likely not but with health anxiety (which I'm having CBT for) it sets me off worrying about things that I more than likely don't have. I want to go to the doctors but won't get in now until after Easter so it's going to be a long weekend of uncertainty.

Oh well I will have to put up with it as us women usually have to.

Helen. x

• Posted

Its strange you mentioning hpylori because my Dr has requested a stool sample (delightful), to check for this. I keep putting it off cos quite frankly I don't want to poop in a pot! 😊. But I will do it after the holiday just to check it out. I'll let you know the result.

Lisa x

• Posted

Hi Lisa, I was at the doctors yesterday for my awful joint pain, I am taking lots of supplements, I am in the worst time of the menopause, it's like doctors just don't care, she prescribed me naproxen which I'm loathe to take but I am, I know what you are saying when doctors just don't want to listen she has made lots of referrals for me but just felt she didn't have the time of day for me! I did not feel valued and yet the couple before me must have been over 30 mins I was in and out by 10! She did not apologise for keeping anyone waiting xx
  • Posted

I have been like this for several months now. I was sent for a colonoscopy and endoscopy recently as I was very anaemic, and the result  were fine, but all the time I ws waiting foe the tests I was in a complete painc that I had cancer.

Since then its been one health svare after another - mostly imagined - which has resulted in me visiting A & E about six times, and having various tests, X-rays, all which seem to come back OK.

My latest worry is that recently I had a fall in the garden while going to collecting firewooed for our stove, and suffered what I am told are whiplash injuries, mainly down my right side. I still get pain from this, and I am completely panicking as I thought it would be easing by now. I have had several osteopathy sessions, have tried the recommended exercises for whiplash, but this ony seemed to make my symtons get worse.

I went to my GP and ge prescribed anti-inflammatory tablets, and prozac, and said to go back ina couple of weeks if the symptons have not eased, and he will refer me for physio therapy.  

Like another lady in this discussion I have also noticed just in the last few days that my joints keep cracking all the time, sometimes just with the slightest movement.  I feel I am falling to bits, and my levels of anxiety are through the roof. Some days when Iv;e take my pain killers and applied a cold press to my hed and shoulders and try to relax, I feel I'm getting somewhere, and I will get over this, but the nexy morning after a restless night my ahces and panic have returned.  I do also have some endocrinal problems which are being investiagted.  I do so hope that some of my symptons - especially the anxiey can be put down to these, and treated, otherwise I really dont know how I will cope.

• Posted

Aw Carole, its rotten that you're feeling so bad at the moment. Its horrible thinking that you're ill, its an anxiety that is so strong that its resistant to reassurance at times.

I've been through counselling and cbt and although they weren't the right path for me, I know that talking to someone helps a lot of people. So maybe look into that.

I hope you feel yourself again soon x

• Posted

Thanks Lisa.

I was referred for counselling but didnt go. I think now that I should.

The trouble is that although I have had depression and some anxiety over the years - firslty the anxiety has never been as bad as now, and secondly, I never really had much physically wrong with me. I used to do alot of dancing, and always really looked after ny figure, and ate really healthily.

Now the fact I have to face that I am getting more physical problems as I get older is something I dont seem to be able to handle at all.

Yes, I do need to talk to someone about all this - thats not my poor husband - hes fed up with it!!!

• Posted

do you eat sugar, or drink caffeine?   for me, sugar (any kind of processed sugar) causes pain in the joints upon rising.  drinking caffeine gives me palpitations which start off a chain reaction of panic. 
    • Posted

Actually I do drink several cups of tea a day sometimes - usually without sugar, and although I generally try to have a healthy diet and take all 'the right' vitamin supplements, I do eat sugar in some foods yes.

I have tried drinking de-caffinated tea, but then I start getting headaches. I suppose I should persevere more with this really, and make a real effort to eat a minimal amount of sugar.

• Posted

yes, the headaches will pass; i hope it's not the energy you want from the caffeine - that's a tough one to give up.  i take sublingual b12 and have much more energy without the buzzing of caffeine.   i have a friend who is 10 years older than me and we talked about peri and menopause and she said she had to stop drinking coffee (bummer!) and only drinks decaf tea.  she said the coffee tore up her stomach.  the same thing was happening to me, and then the palpitations became really bad.   and with the processed/refined sugars (can be after a pasta dinner, or a slice of cake;  i've been known to eat a box of gummy candies in one sitting too) i notice for a couple of days i feel really bad.  something to consider.  smile
    • Posted

Thanks Kristi,

I knew that I should give up caffeine and cut down on sugar, but now I am going to do it - period!  Luckily, I have some de-caff tea already. As for coffee, - I do love freshly ground coffee, but again it did sometimes give me awful IBS, and the only stuff I could drink was the really foamy cappuccino from certain coffee shops, so I guess my bodys sending me a clear message that it doesnt really like the stuff!

Maybe a frothy cappuccino once a week as a special  treat.

• Posted

My natural doctor told me that sugar is the root of all the joint pain that I experience, I've got really bad nodules and pain in my shoulder especially under the collar bone. I am totally addicted to caffeine, I tried to give it up and developed a headache. I would try to limit the sugar.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.