Anxiety with mono?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has anyone else had horrible anxiety and depression with mono? I've had both for years, but never as much as I have since being diagnosed. Anytime I have a new symptom, I relentlessly Google them and end up giving myself anxiety attacks even though I know mono is what's causing them. I've also almost cried several times when I go to eat or go shopping because I used to love eating and going in stores, but now I don't even want to look at food and have no energy for shopping and it's really upsetting. All of the physical and mental stress of this virus is just really bringing me down. I just wanted to if anyone else has these problems and if so, do you know of anything that helps?

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Ciela,

Yes, I completely understand what you are going through!  I am still having anxiety attacks even though my mono symptoms have gone away.  I had mono for about 6 weeks and have been "better" (no mono symptoms) for about 3 weeks. But the anxiety attacks are still present in my life.  It's really weird, because I know the mono triggered my initial anxiety attacks, but even though I'm feeling better in terms of the mono and not feeling sick with any of those symptoms anymore, I still will get these random anxiety attacks.  My doctor prescribed me citalopram, but I've only been on it about 3 weeks.  I'm hoping that the anxiety attacks go away soon.  I had mono for about 6 weeks, and the worrying really got to me.  Having mono is so hard because you have no energy but just start to worry about every little thing.  So I completely understand what you are going through!  I'm so sorry you are dealing with all of this right now.  Sending positive vibes that you start to feel better soon.    

-Christine  

• Posted

So glad you got over this quickly . Once you get anxiety attacks they scare you so much that you are constantly worried about having one . Maybe try Xanax for a while so that you can get back into life .

I know from my own experience that you need to nip it on the bud as you don’t want it to become a long term thing which it has been for me for over 10 years. It becomes ALL you think about and a BAD HABIT . 

My onset came after a bad accident 11 years ago and although they said it was PTSD I’m wondering if it was mono ?  I felt the same anxiety and mental craziness as I do now but without the crippling fatigue ...I hope it was PTSD honestly and the thought that this may be a reoccurring thing scares the hell of of me . ONCE IS ENOUGH !!! .

• Posted

Hi Christine,

It makes me happy to hear that you have healed from the virus and I really hope that your medicine can help with your anxiety.

Every symptom has caused more and more worry for me, if it doesn't lessen soon I think I'll need to ask my doctor about medicine or natural ways to lessen my anxiety. I've recently read that lavender can help so I might be trying that soon too.

Sending positive vibes to you too and thank you for your assurance.

• Posted

Glad to hear things have been a bit more settled these past few weeks Christine, hoping and praying that continues. It is understandable still to have the anxiety as it's such a horrible and stressful thing to go through. Hoping and praying this will settle as time goes on and as you start to feel better and better physically. Thinking about you Christine and hang in there!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Ciela,

Oh really feeling your pain having been through a hard time with mono many years ago and it really affected my mental health and got me so down during it. I just want to reassure that things will get better Ciela, mono does get better with time but it's so intense and its longevity makes it so hard to cope with. I just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you and believing a breakthrough will come for you and that God is there and going to get you through this. 

I'm going through a low in my life at the moment too because of other issues, back pain and other health issues and losing job and depression has been so intense with me lately I've been crying every day and it's awful it really is. So I do empathise Ciela and do encourage you just to hang on in this tough time and be kind to yourself and give yourself plenty of rest - I know it's so distressing and confidence sapping how mono affects you, but you will get over it, it took me a bit of time with mono but I did get there eventually thanks to God.

Certainly anti-depressants are something I take and have helped me cope, I know it doesn't take everything away but don't be afraid to give that a go if not already done so. And of course talking to someone close to you about how you feel is so important as well, carrying this on your own is too much to bare - hang in there Ciela and thinking of you. I believe you're going to get through this and get FULLY better. 

Craig

• Posted

Oh Craig .... I’ve been  crying at every doctors appt and anybody who asks ‘how are you doing ?’

I’m honestly not a crier but boy have shed some tears lately .

I’m so sorry you are going through such a hard time but don’t forget it’s always blackest before dawn .

Life gives you hard times but once you get through this there will be many good times .

Hang ig there you’re not alone ... I feel like a basket case this week.

• Posted

Hi Craig,

I hate to hear that you're going through a rough time too, I really hope things begin to get better for you soon.

Thank you so much for your kind words, I know it will get better eventually but it's so hard to believe sometimes when I'm having a particularly hard day, so I will look over what you wrote again next time I'm doubting my recovery again. I haven't talked to anyone about my depression or gotten any medication for it, but I have been able to talk to my mom about my anxiety and get my main fears out there so that has helped a little. It's terrifying to see how much all of this has affected my body and lowered my weight, but the more I read through people's posts on here, the more I'm assured that all of this is normal with this virus.

• Posted

Hi Craig,

I am sorry to hear you still having back problems, I hope that this leaves you soon. You were such a hope and encouragement to me when I was sick, A true god send. I will pray for your recovery.

• Posted

Thanks Lori, I really do appreciate your kind and comforting words and to take the time to send those when feeling so low yourself shows what an amazing person you are.

I'm still thinking about you and rooting for you Lori, please hang in there and it's a great line you say it's always blackest before dawn - praying for your dawn Lori.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Ciela,

Thanks so much for your kind and supportive words, it really means a lot to me at this time when I've been finding things hard - and to send those words when things have been so hard for you just shows what a good and kind person you are - thank you!

I do understand Ciela when you find it hard to believe or see a way through it when in the midst of something going on for a long time. I'm in that kind of phase with my own situation and just trying to cling onto hope and God's words that He has a plans to give us a future and hope, and that He won't ever leave us. It's so hard Ciela to hang onto hope at times I know, I've been thinking and feeling so negatively lately and need to try to think more positive about things - wish it was easier!!

It's good you've been able to talk to your mom, keep doing that Ciela she is there to support you. I talk to my mum a lot too, she is amazing person and has amazing strength and loyalty despite all my troubles and failings and moans. 

I'm still believing you're going to get better Ciela - believe me with this thing it can take a while as you know but it does get better - just coping with each day is enough and not putting any pressure or expectations on yourself and being kind to yourself is very important right now. It's a very traumatic thing to go through this virus Ciela and of course if things do get worse mentally option is always there to look at medication - there's no shame or stigma in that at all, I've been on anti-depressant tablets for most of my adult life and have managed to live well and healthy the majority of the time on them, just can help you to cope a bit better.

Do keep checking in with the docs always wise to do that, but remember you will get there and thinking about you Ciela!

Craig 

• Posted

Hey Mono,

I'm so encouraged when I see that you post and are praying for me. It means everything Mono, just things got on top of me a bit lately and I worry about my attitude and mindset with it all. 

I will keep you and your daughter and granddaughter in my prayers too as you have been a great support to me and everyone on the site too - thank you Mono for your kind words and friendship, I value that greatly.

Craig

• Posted

Im in the same boat Ciela, this is a tough time. I hope everyone in here starts to feel better

• Posted

Very much hoping you feel better soon too Ant, it's a horrible thing to go through I remember from my own experience - hang in there and remember that it does get better and go away completely with time - thinking of you.

Craig

• Posted

Hey there,

Anxiety was one of my top symptoms during mono!!! I suffered with anxiety and depression for a couple months before all the other symptoms showed up. I just had a panic attack one day and since then I had very bad problems with anxiety to the point where it affected my school attendance and ability to do my assignments. The anxiety persisted pretty much throughout my entire experience. It has gone down now that I have gotten significantly better, but definitely when I feel more weak or tired I feel more nervous. 

Know that you are not alone and what you are experiencing is normal! 

• Posted

Hi Dominika,

Just wondering how you were doing? I hope things are a bit more settled for you at the moment, you've made so much progress you should be proud of your courage for sure!! Still thinking about you and rooting for you and remember things will continue to get better and better over time. 

Craig

• Posted

Doing well, thanks for asking smile I am going to school and keeping up with everything thankfully. Mornings are still so sleepy though! So glad this virus is finally starting to leave.. feels good to come out the other end. It really has come full circle, now I’m the one giving sick people advice when I was In the same position not even two months ago. I know how much any reassurement helps! 

Cheers 

• Posted

Hey Dominika,

That is really good to hear, that's brill you have been managing school every day. Yes I do know what you mean about the mornings being particularly tough when recovering from this (well I have that problem at the best of times anyway getting up can be so hard sometimes!). Still keeping you in my thoughts and prayers Dominika, you are going to keep getting stronger I truly believe that thanks to God. 

You've been great at giving help and encouragement to me and others on the forum Dominika, you should be proud of how you've been doing that!! It's so important that we help and encourage each other, absolutely I agree reassurance helps a great deal and for those in the worst stage of the virus hearing from others who know what it's like and have been through the horrible lows of this but got better and came out of the other side, thanks to God, can make such a difference to someone going through it right now. 

Thinking about you still Dominika and do remember just pace yourself as your body continues to recover!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.