Anxious again!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Been on Sertraline a little over 6 weeks now the last 3 days have been horrible anxiety wise for no real reason feel pretty fed up as i feel like im right bk to square one and thought i was over the worst of the anxiety can anyone relate to this?

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there Sue! I completely understand your concern and anxiety. I had the exact same problem.

I've been on it for about 6+ months and I finally feel like myself! But I remember I got side effects at the beginning. Then they stopped and I had a week where I was borderline euphoric. Took two months to feel good again after that. I'm not sure why it does this but it could be related to the concentration of the med in your blood. Make sure you don't skip too many doses. You should feel better soon, just be patient and take care of yourself, don't lose hope. However, you may need a dose increase. I was on 25mg then 50mg and only on 100mg did I start feeling full effects. Hang in there! Talk to your doctor if you're very concerned, but I'm sure everything will be alright with time.

• Posted

Hi Jodie,

This brings tears to my eyes. I am on week 5 and feeling horrendous, if not worse. Having dark thoughts. How did you feel @ this time?

Hope your still wel! I’m on 50mg.. when did you increase?.

Ella x

• Posted

Hi sue, 

Feeling the exact same way. Needed to reach out hear on the forums. 

5th week on sertraline and 4th week on 50mg. I was feeling slightly better 3rd-4th week and the past couple of days my mood is low and anxiety creeping back up, racing thoughts. 

Went to Dr and have increased me to 75 mg. Will start that over the long weekend. 

I’m also on clonazepam .5 mg to help with increased anxiety. Hopefully get off them after I find the right dose of sertraline. 

• Posted

Hi i was ok on week 4/5 but this week has been awful im going to go to 75mg too x
    • Posted

Hi Brandi,

I am having the exact experience and this week has been hell!

The anxiety is not as bad (not shaking) but my mood is at an all time low. 

Just can’t see a way out but we will all do this I’m sure! 

Ella x

• Posted

We will all do this! 

I take my medication at night so tonight I’ll be starting the 75mg. 

• Posted

Hi Ella 

I’m on week 7 today and remember week 5 being not a good week at all .... same as you , low mood and starting to lose hope !!! BUT week 6 the mood slowly lifted and I’m feeling better each day .... may take longer but week 5 is early still and I’d say 10 weeks is a good week to judge it and anything before then can be blamed on the meds wink 

• Posted

Hi Phil,

Thank you for this! It’s very encouraging. Over the past few days I have defiantly lost hope but struggling through due to other people saying they’ve had similar stories!

How are you now and what dosage are you on?

Thanks! Ella

• Posted

Hi Ella 

I’m on 50mgs and doing ok ! I always wonder even when you do feel better, after being in a dark place for so long, how long will it also take to get used to normal again... I’d say I feel 80-85% although still have moments of intrusive thoughts but seem to be easier to forget... anxiety attack’s gone and I can go out and have a laugh with friends and things so a million miles from where I was ! How you feeling today ? 

• Posted

Hi Phil,

Amazingly last night I decided I’d had enough of this and I was going down a very dark path. Every time I’ve had a negative thought I’ve challenged it. Alike what I teach others to do but never stick too (CBT). With this, and the tablets starting to kick in a feel a warm feeling of hope. I even agreed to go away with friends in a couple of week which I had ignored there texts as I was so sure I wouldn’t be able to. The sun must have helped too! Let’s hope this lasts. 

How are you feeling? Always here for a chat and we can keep each other updated x

• Posted

Ella that’s amazing to hear! Challenging your thoughts is a great start. I’ve started to already. Here’s some things that I’ve started saying to myself:

Acknowledge the emotion and say “That’s a scary thought. But that thought isn’t true right now”

Worry or intuition 

“Did this begin as a feeling, or did it follow my worried thoughts?” 

Reject every bad thought that may threaten to take over your mind. Decide on a positive thought. Replace the negative thought with the positive statement.

Create a vivid positive image in your mind of how the positive thought you have come up with, has become reality. Called creative visualization. Example - if you are worried about your little boy, visualize him grown, happy and successful. 

Hold confidently on this positive image you have painted in your imagination. 

Is worrying/your thoughts helping? Is it doing anyone good or just causing me distress?

I hope some of these help others as well. I find it’s a struggle to start this new path of mindfulness. If anyone hasn’t, read up on mindfullness. I never knew what it was until my anxiety has gotten to this point. 

Brandi. 

• Posted

Great stuff there Brandi. Obviously it's more difficult to do when the meds are messing with your mind, but as we improve it will get easier. We can't purely rely on the meds, we have to help ourselves as well. At it's most basic, anxiety is just 'living in the future' after all, so there's a lot we can do for ourselves.

• Posted

Yes, if 1 month ago while I was in my peak of anxiety and  you told me to read those, or any book for that matter, there would be no way. 
  • Posted

Even at 8 weeks on 50 mg I did not feel great myself. Had anxiety bad thoughts , bad side effects. It was awful. I then upped my dose to 75 and been on it for 2 weeks. I feel a lot better. Less anxiety and my appetite is slowly coming back. I will wait a few weeks and if needed will up to 100 mg. It’s definitely a long process but worth it once you find the right dose for you. It’s going to be 3 months and I still am not 100%. We will all get there eventually.  Be strong ladies 
    • Posted

Hi Jenna thats pretty much how i feel now better but nowhere near myself my anxiety has been awful this week 😞 deffo going to go to 75mg first i dont want to go straight to 100 xx

• Posted

Yes go to 75 then 100 if you need to. It’s a slow process and it sucks not feeling our best. We will eventually get there, it just takes time . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.