anyone been overmedicated?

Posted , 60 users are following.

I Was wondering if anyone had experienced being ivovermedicated and what were your symptoms?

I've been going through hell the last month with extreme anxiety and tiredness feeling dizzy/lightheaded random pains in head and eyes, and now I've  had it confirmed I've been taking 25mcg to much, anyone experienced something similar I've felt like I've been going out of my mind x

4 likes, 164 replies

164 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

A similar thing has happened to me. Can I ask, how long before you felt better?

• Posted

Hi. Leesly,

I want to ask u how are u feeling now??

Thanks...smile

• Posted

I recenvtly found out that I am allergic to Levothoroxine and now am going to start taking a more homeopatich medication.  I experience, so much itching, the tiredness to the point I felt my day was filled with naps and attempts to scratch off my skin!  Check with your doctor and switch medications if you can and see if it helps.
  • Posted

I have had under active thyroid for 14 years and been on 150mg for a long time.  I have yearly blood tests and the doctor told me about two years ago I was on too high dose, so they reduced it and put me on 125mg but I felt awful, really cold, tired, itchy skin the lot so they then tried me on alternate days of 100mg one day and 150mg the next and still felt awful, so they agreed that because I felt okay on 150mg per day i could stay on that dose.  They have now suddenly put me back on 100mg one day and 150mg the next so alternate days saying that my T4 has disappeared and that it is because i have been on too high a dose.  Since taking this dose on alternate days, I have been so cold some days that the only way i can get warm is by having a really hot bath, I am also shaking so badly inside that I have been feeling awful.  My doctor said that my body is confused and my thyroid doesn't know if it is over active or under active, so getting symptoms of both.  I now have extreme fatigue but have got to stay on this dose for at least 6 weeks before having more blood tests.  The doctor would not give me a print out of my results so i dont know what my levels are.  Has anyone else experienced this?

• Posted

Hi There .... I've had a complete thyroid removal 3yrs. ago In the beginning I felt great ..just to have pain gone , but now feel I am over medicated, all the symptoms are there, see the Drs. Mar 9. But it will take months to reverse.... Was unaware over med. was possible. I know I'm depressed so I won't go into all the fighting I had to do to get anyone to listen before removal....Drs. At a very well known (world recognized) didn't think thyroid removal was nessicary . but after a woman endo and woman surgeon removed it , they found tiny spots of cancer. When a woman says she feels rotten men turn off.  Best wishes to you all 

• Posted

I have been overmedicated on levothyroxine before and I did feel dizzy/lightheaded after being on my feet for more than 5 minutes. It's a really terrible and helpless feeling.. Dizzy, have you had your adrenals checked? Without a properly working adrenal gland/cortex, you could possibly have rT3 pooling. If you do decide to get it checked, get the diurnal cortisol test (To see if your diurnal pattern is dysregulated). It is SO important.

• Posted

Hi hashijane, I just posted on here, but hoping someone can help me! I've been going to the dr.s and I have a app with an endocrinologist next week! My labs came back that my tsh was high so they upped my levothyrocine from 125 to 137! Honestly I think the 125 might be too high to, but I was slacking on taking the medication that's probably why my tsh went up! Well I started taking the 137 daily and about 10 days in I started having anxiety, panic attacks, now insomnia, I'm exhausted, dry mouth, list goes on but the anxiety is horrible! At first couldn't figure it out, but eventually I figured it was the levothyroxine! I stopped at 3 weeks of taking the 137 and it's been 2 days! Still having symptoms though! I went from tsh 52 to less than 1 in 3 weeks! My labs were drawn yesterday and today when I went to the dr. She told me it was less than 1 and I was over medicated. But how long will these symptoms last? And I can't sleep, and I'm a mom so I'm exhausted, they gave me trazadone to sleep, don't want to take it but maybe until I can sleep again! Does anyone get relief from anything for insomnia?

• Posted

I have been struggling with my Thoyriod for over 14 years(started when I was 13) I am currently on 350 MCG and they have dropped it down to 300MCG and I feel horrible. Heart rate is at 150, vomiting, and so tired. Just had bloodwork Tuesday and i'm waiting to hear back from that. 

• Posted

Hi dizzydoll, I see that this post was from over a year ago, but if you or anyone can tell me how long your symptoms lasted? I've been having bad anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia so now I'm exhausted, the list goes on! I had my labs done and my tsh was really high so they upped my meds from 125 to 137. I started having these symptoms about 10 days after I started the new dose, took the new dose for 3 weeks and stopped 2 days ago! I went from tsh at 52 to less than 1 in 3 weeks! I stopped the meds 2 days ago but still having these horrible symptoms! Just wondering how long it will last!

• Posted

Have you reduced your dose now? I was over medicated too and I had exactly the same symptoms. It took about six weeks to feel completely better but obviously this is different for different people and I wasn't feeling horrendously anxious all that time. Things gradually got better. Take care xx

• Posted

Thank you Leesy121 for the reply! I'm not on anything now! It's been 3 days! The dr.(GP) I was seeing wants me to take 75 but I want to wait to see the endocrinologist next week and explain everything to him! I had my thyroid removed over 20 years ago when I was a teen, and have been on levothyroxine ever since, but never felt like this! Honestly I'm wondering if the 125 is too high! When the dr. told me that my tsh was at 52, I was surprised if anything I thought my levothyroxine I was on (125) was high, I would get a bit tired, and some light headedness but nothing like extremely tired or couldn't get out of bed! I think now that I'm older, maybe I'm much more sensitive to the medication and my thyroid issues! Last August my tsh was at 3, and in other tests before 2014- 2015 my tsh was at 1 and .62! .62 was in 2014! I also went on Celexa, (first time on meds like that) in 2015 and got off last October. Was on it for about 1 1/2 years.

Also a few months ago my diet changed I went vegan and was eating more soy then ever, which I stopped bc I know now that soy can interfere with the absorption of the levothyroxine. Also in the passed year I've been on a low dose blood pressure medication which my dr. just switched to propanolol bc my bp is usually under 140/80.

I'm starting to understand that this thyroid condition, (well I don't have one) and making sure my tsh is stable is more complex then I've realized! Especially now I'm going to be 40! I can look back and say that although my symptoms weren't this extreme in the years past I was always having a speedy heart, sweating and always feeling my adrenaline pumping, like getting ready after shower, or getting the kids to school in the morning feeling like this was just about daily for years! I thought it was just me and being a mom of four! But now I'm thinking maybe I need to be at a level of levothyroxine that is at least in the normal range, possible not too low like in the past! I'm going to lay it all out for the endocrinologist and I hope he can help me!!

Since these past 3 days I haven't been on the 137 I think I'm feeling a bit better, still having some symptoms and have some anxiety, hope it keeps getting better! I've always kind of been a worrier and get pariniod but it totally got worse when I became over medicated! And also have insomnia so I'm tired haven't really had good sleep in the past couple of days! My dr. Prescribed trazadone 25mg to 50mg for sleep, I never have taken any medications for sleep, so I'm worried about taking it!

Thanks again for your reply! If you or anyone has had something that works for insomnia please share!

• Posted

Hello Selina, my name is Suzanne ..I had my thyroid remove 4yrs ago due to a malignant growth .. since then things were ok until last yr. when my endo wanted me to drop one day a week of taking my Synthyroid 200mg. Well that was then and now I'm taking 250mg 7days a week. And I'm still to low... In six months I put 25 lbs. and that raised my A1C ...Everything has been really horrible since I was told to drop one day a week of med. .. Every time I'm changed on my meds. my head is wacky and I'm irritated and miserable. Going from over medicated to under medicated is so bazarre to me. Yes I too had the diet problem ..anything seems to effect the thyroid . I live in US and where it gets very very warm ..and the temp. really challenges my life. I feel like a frail and old women. I am not a medical person or have any medical experience...but now I keep a record of levels I always ask for my test results so I can see where I am when a change is made. Drs. are humans and do make mistakes... 

• Posted

Thanks suzanne57663 for your reply! I'm just starting to understand how complex the thyroid is, and it was removed over 20 years ago! I've had symptoms in the past years but not like this! In 3 weeks my tsh went from 52 to .14 and I was over medicated on the 137 of levothyroxine! I've been going through some changes in the past months, and missed some days of taking my levothyroxine and probably wasn't absorbing it well bc of my diet, but I think even 125 might be too high! I've definitely started keeping a journal so I can report it all back to the endocrinologist, and just be mindful of everything I eat, and other medications I take!

• Posted

My thyroid had been stable for about 20 years when all of a sudden things changed. No idea why, maybe it is age, I'm 44. I had dreadful insomnia and my doctor prescribed zopiclone which did help and got me into a sleep pattern.

• Posted

Yes everything effects the thyroid, one thing that Drs are very stern about here in US is the 2 medications synthyroid and levothyroxine... All my Drs (4) have insisted I only take synthyroid, the thought is that levothyroxine is not as long lasting and does not absorb as well ...so you are thinking correctly that now that you are older it changed. I truly hope you find an answer to all the medical problems, it's so awful to feel bad with no answer. Please have your Drs check your b12 and your sodium  and folic acid levels...all can be a problem when on thyroid meds. As for insomnia the drug trazadone 50 mg. works great with no effects to thyroid meds . I use it when needed. Feel better and stay strong. Suzanne

• Posted

Suzanne57663 since I was over medicated I have insomnia! My dr. Prescribed trazadone 50mg take half or the whole 50mg! I took half and I don't think it did much of anything but I was worried about taking the whole 50mg, mostly bc of possible side effects, as I've never have been prescribed a sleep medication! I've had stuff like NyQuil and I don't really like how the sleepiness comes on!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.