anyone been overmedicated?

Posted , 60 users are following.

I Was wondering if anyone had experienced being ivovermedicated and what were your symptoms?

I've been going through hell the last month with extreme anxiety and tiredness feeling dizzy/lightheaded random pains in head and eyes, and now I've  had it confirmed I've been taking 25mcg to much, anyone experienced something similar I've felt like I've been going out of my mind x

4 likes, 164 replies

164 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi dizzy doll,

Has anyone who recently posted about thyroxine overmedication have good news on feeling better and how long it took to start improving or feeling less unwell. 😊

• Posted

Hello Jane 

I did my blood test after 6 weeks and tsh is 0.04 

Doc is not happy and me too 

He said stop taking synthyroid

I am really very confused what will happen to me ?

• Posted

Hey Sania.

I’m never really sure on figures of TSH readings. I know if tsh is high, that means thyroxine levels are low and if tsh levels are low, it means thyroxine levels are high.

I think 0.04 is considered normal, so maybe your thyroid gland is functioning properly again. If that is the case, that would be the reason your GP has advised you to stop taking it. You’ve been through so much. 

Let me know how you get on, it’ll leave your system gradually day by day, so don’t worry 😉 

Jane x

• Posted

Hyper means you’re having too much levothyroxine. He may want you to stop completely so he can gauge where your levels are naturally Sania. So by not taking meds you will start feeling less hyper. X Jane
    • Posted

That's because Endos and GPs only understand TSH anything below range they consider hyper.

• Posted

Hello,

I am also taking synthyroid starting from 25 mcg to 125 mcg . Then in first week of January I had first panic attack then all of the anxiety symptoms appears went to doc they said I am suffering from anxiety coz all of my reports are normal . Then the doc said to do the hyperthyroid test . Yesterday the doc call me and said my t4 level is 24 above the normal range..

So he decreased my synthyroid dose from 125 to 112mcg .

I want to know after how much time I feel better again ....

I want to be myself again...

The symptoms are reall awful.....sad

• Posted

Hi Sania,

Please believe me when I say you will feel like you again. It took a few weeks, but I gradually began feeling less anxious as time went on, 20 days and I was feeling more like my old self. It is tricky getting dose balanced at a level that suits you. I’m on 112.5 mcg every other day now and feel much better. Hang in there, you will feel better. X

• Posted

Thank u sooo much ...after reading ur reply I  litteraly crying ....I am just 29. I have 2 small kids...

I feel I am not alone ...at least someone is with me

• Posted

You’re definitely not alone in how you are feeling Sania, 

I started by marking off the days on my calendar, then steadily started feeling less anxious, by the time I felt ok I’d forgotten all about marking my calendar because I felt like me again. Try to keep busy, go for walks eat little and often, keep your fluids up. Watch feel good films. I imagine having to little ones keep you busy. 

Go back for a blood test when you’ve been on your new lowered dose for 6 weeks to check your levels.

Ive learned that I am very sensitive to changes is my dose, I do it very gradually now if I need to. Maybe it’s the same for you.

Let me know how it goes Sania. Take care, Jane 💕😊

• Posted

Thank u ...smile

This is the 2nd day of my new dose... But I am anxious about my health...

Can u plz tell me which diet is good for me ? And any multivitamins ?

🌷💕

• Posted

I don’t take multi vitamins, but have a normal, balanced diet, I eat lots of fruit and vegetables, especially blueberries, raspberries, apples and bananas. Almonds, a few a day(good for seratonin levels in the brain, apparently). I’ve cut right back on caffeine, never have it now, found it made me jittery, oh and I avoid refined sugar- I have honey instead. Drinks are fruit tea with the odd normal cuppa daily.Complex carbs like whole meal bread(I love a good sandwich!😊wink

I know you may not feel like eating, but even a little is better than nothing. I’m sorry I couldn’t help you with the vitamin question, 

I hope you start feeling much better soon.

Jane 😊

• Posted

Thanks Jane,

I had panic attack this morning but I am not panic with that. And handle it. But after that I feel like no energy in my body . It feels like Al of my energy is gone . And after having bowel moment no energy left in my body .

Is it all due to the hyperthyroid ?

May I know about ur condition like did u also feel that hyperthyroid symptoms ? 

• Posted

I felt like I was on the brink of a panic attack the whole time, I had a really bad attack and thought I was having a stroke because my leg went numb.

My bowel movements were v frequent and loose. Tingly hands and feet. I had no appetite whatsoever. Fast heart rate and sometimes felt it skipped a beat. It was dreadful, but I have an amazing GP who was very supportive. I did take 50mg of sertraline for a while which may have helped, but try to see how it goes with your reduction. Your on day three, visit your GP if you are feeling desperate, but believe me that you will feel like yourself soon. 💕

• Posted

...yes, I had no energy at all and ‘air hunger’, a feeling like I could get a good lungful of air when I breathed. It can happen if hypo or hyperthyroid. X
    • Posted

Yes ,

These are the same situation with me .

I pray to Allah and hope for the best.

And thank u so much for the support...smile

💞

• Posted

Hello Jane,

I want to ask between these 6 weeks what are u feeling?

Because now my body aches so much.and tingling hands and feet specially at night.

I am really worried about that.

• Posted

Hi Sania,

Yes, I experienced tingling in my fingers and feet, I think we notice things at night more because we’re still and everything is quiet, it always seems worse at night.

The week or two after I reduced my thyroxine dose, I seemed to feel at my worst.

Like you mentioned, no energy, aching joints and limbs, just not well and very anxious and jittery. Nearing the end of the 3rd week, I noticed these symptoms lessen.

If you are worried Sania, visit your GP, tell them how you are feeling. 

You will be feeling a little better soon I’m certain.

Jane 💕

• Posted

Hello,

Thanks for reply. But doc did nothing . He just saw my face and smiling . He even cant understand what I am feeling. Even though he did not tell me the condition which I am going through .

But after talking to u feel more relax. Feel like someone is holding my hand ..

• Posted

I don’t think people realise how awful you can feel unless they have experienced it themselves. However there are many people who do know what you are going through, so try to stay positive, I know it’s hard, but you will come out the other side of this. I’m here if you are having a bad day and need to talk.

J😊😄

• Posted

Yes I did Sania, even going upstairs I felt I had to lie down on the bed for a while. It feels like your breathing is restricted, that you cannot get a good lungful of air...it’s known as ‘air hunger’ and it can  hyperthyroid or hypothyroid symptoms. This, too, will improve as time passes, you may not notice right away, and then you’ll think ‘hey, I’m breathing much better again.’

I hope today will be a little better for you Sania. 😊 

Jane ??

• Posted

Every time I talk I feel much better,

U know sometimes I feel like my body is cold specially my feet and sometimes it's hot.

I feel so week and body is numb.

Is it ok to feel worse before getting better.

• Posted

I did exactly the same Sania, I felt worse for two weeks then by the end of the 3rd week was having some good days. It may be quicker for you though. 😊

• Posted

Hello Jane,

Last night I notice when I went to Car I feel very anxious then I feel my hands are sweating . After that one more thing I feel when I was anxious then I feel like I have to pee and along with that I feel like fainting.

Is it with the synthyroid dose reduction .

Then sometime I stare out of space for no reason.is it all anxiety symptom I don't understand what's going on with me.

Plz tell me

• Posted

It makes me sooo nervous . I am constantly thing about my condition. Is it all these part of dose adjustment?

I am feeling more anxious, nervous like emotional roller coaster.

Plz tell me about that

• Posted

Hey Sania,

I’d say it’s the thyroxine overmedication, it takes a while to leave your system. 

Natural Thyroid hormones are vital for the everyday functioning of every part of your body. Those of us who have thyroid problems and are under active need to take thyroxine to replace what our bodies need to work normally. However, if you are having too much thyroxine, it will speed your metabolism, it can also stimulate the release of cortisol, which is the bodies natural ‘flight or fight’ response. That is the panicky/ faint feeling you experience. I know I was going to loo about 6 or 7 times a day (not wee).

It is a horrible feeling sweetheart, remember that your body has had a bit too much thyroxine, so it’s in overdrive. You’ve lowered your dose now, so although your not feeling the benefits just yet, you know that gradually everyday, the level of thyroxine is dropping little by little. 

I know it is a horrible feeling right now, stick with it, you are doing so well Sania. I’m here. 😘 Jane

• Posted

Hello Jane,

Last night suddenly I feel like i  am not breathing then feel like spinning and then my heart is pounding . Same thing happens 5 times in a row .

I don't know what happend.

Is it a dose adjustment thing?

When I feel better today is 1st day of 3rd week.

Plz reply me I am waiting

• Posted

Hi Sania, 

Having too much thyroxine in your system can cause these type of symptoms. I know what you mean about feeling like you are not breathing. Then what happens is, you suddenly become aware of it and feel frightened- that’s when you fight or flight response kicks in and you become dizzy, sometimes breathless and your heart beats very fast. It’s like something washes over you and it can be scary. Nothing will happen to you, it’s an anxiety attack and is common in hyper patients and if you are over medicated. Try concentrating on slow regular breathing when it happens if you can.

On day 20 of my lowered dose, I began to feel a little better. So you are on day 14? 15? 

You wil get better Sania. Soon 😊

• Posted

I don't know y I am getting worse than feeling better?

If I am not getting better? 

I want to b better. 

• Posted

Of course you want to feel better and you will.  When you are feeling like this, it’s hard to imagine ever feeling like normal again, but you will.

Remember, it takes 6 weeks for thyroxine levels to settle when adjusting, so it makes sense that it can take a little time to feel the benefits of a lowered dose. 😊

• Posted

Yesterday night I took lorezepam I slept for the whole night but in the morning I feel so drowsy so low and even no energy.

Did u ever feel ur body reflex are so slow in this ?

• Posted

Yes, slow movements, zero energy and dill eyes, like I’d kinda lost my sparkle. The brain fog was awful, I couldn’t process my thoughts clearly. I reluctantly started taking 50 mg of sertraline but at first it made the anxiety worse, but then settled down after 3 weeks. I still take them daily.

I’ve been in the menopause since turning 45 so some symptoms may be a result of that, I’m now 50. Hormones have a lot to answer for! 😆

Jane 🤩

• Posted

Hello Jane

Today is my 19 day I feel like so much drowsiness and dizziness I doubt may b it's due to the lorezepam or thyroxine?

Yesterday I went to the doc and I said I feel air hunger then he said it's not related to hyperthyroid may b its anxiety .

Doc have me the requisition for the tsh done and then he know is my levels are getting better or not?

Another thing before hyper I am always on the low bp side and now bp is also low but  he said if u are hyper then ur blood pressure should b high.

• Posted

And after reading this please check ur private message
    • Posted

Hi Sania,

No, I’m afraid not. It seems with me, whenever my thyroid levels are out of kilter, it affects my anxiety levels too. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.