anyone else in pain with pcos?

Posted , 26 users are following.

It sounds strange but recently it has felt like my ovaries have been hurting, my stomach can be quite tender to touch where they are located and it feels like they are generally aching. I was just wondering if it was normal and if anyone else has experienced pain with pcos.

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, i was driving down the moterway one morning and i had the most incredibly pain in my ovaries, a pinching kind of pain.  When i visited my GP and other doctors in the surgery i was accused of being weird, and was told to get myself a boyfriend. As a matter of fact during one appointment the Dr leaned over his table and shouted at me so loudly - there is nothing wrong with you !!!  that his receptionist ran into the room to see what was wrong.  I was incredibly upset but said nothing just left, as i was a one parent with 2 jobs bringing up my son alone.  I changed Dr's and was examined, sent for a scan and at the age of 42 diagnosed with PCOS.  So its not strange, and you're not on your own.  regards Lydia

• Posted

Omg thats awful..you should put in a complaint!! You go to the doctors in confidence and that's how you get treated. I'm glad you have answers now but sorry to hear u have pcos😔xxx

• Posted

Yes I often get achey pain in my ovaries, usually just one at a time though. They feel heavy is the only way I can explain it. when they are sore like this, I can get stabby pains from moving or sitting in certain positions and really bad stabbing when I sneeze!!! sad hot water bottle to the rescue and lots of lying down
    • Posted

Yes I get this all the time...my doctor looks at me like I'm mad, she tells me you shouldn't get pain with pcos but I definitely do!! I really want more children now so I'm having my contraceptive implant removed in 2 weeks I've heard this can make the cysts worse. I just hope I can fall pregnant xx

• Posted

It definitley is painful!! I'd like one of them doctors to have PCOS and then tell us that! I really hate how PCOS is practially ignored by the world of medicine. I feel like I was diagnosed and then is was basially like "so what?" 

Hopefully you will have success. My friend got reflexology from her doctor and get pregnant a month later!!! so maybe look at that... good luck!!! 

• Posted

So after doing a little bit of research and reading through this thread I'm convinced that I may have PCOS. I found this thread to see if anyone else has the same pain. I have a nagging pain in the right side abdomen. It doesn't hurt all the time. I asked my doctor about it and he said that it's just something that happens sometimes if we're not active enough. *sigh... I understand that he's the professional, but that just seems like a convenient answer.

It hurts when I press into it, even when it's not actively bothering me. This is just one of the many reasons I've been needing a new doctor, but I still haven't gotten around to it. Mostly because I'm afraid of finding yet another that won't listen to me.

• Posted

I had a really nice lady doctor who sent me for all my tests the second time round (first time they told me it was just my age and it would settle down). This lady first made me do a urine sample and then sent me for blood tests. when they came back she did a manual pelvic exam (inside and out! wasnt pleasant!) and then sent me for an ultra sound. I would just ask for a female doctor, tell them you have a friend with PCOS and you are convinced this is the problem - tell them all of your symptoms and ask for tests. They should listen to you, or they are not doing their job correctly
    • Posted

I feel the exact same way! I have a "pain" in my lower right abdomen, , although I don't know if pain is the right word. It feels heavy, not necessarily painful. It seems to change from my lower abdomen to my lower back and waist area. I don't have that feeling all the time, but enough for it to bother me and think there is something wrong. My doctor dismisses me with pcos and from being overweight. I also have a touch of health anxiety, which most definitely does not help the situation. Have you had any luck relieving the pain? Mine comes and goes.

• Posted

Same here ..Pain comes and go .. But i het it everyday ..I'm depressed right now and would like to be normal again ..I can't even concentrate in working ..

• Posted

How did your tests turn out. Did anything come of it?

Thanks for the encouraging words. I've got to get my butt in gear and get this taken care of, along with lots of other issues I've been putting off because I don't want to go back to my doctor. I need a new one.

• Posted

Doctors can really suck. It may be difficult, but if you can you should try to find a new doctor. One that simply dismisses your issues, and assumes or tries to lump all of them together with one issue is doing you a major disservice. I've been dealing with that for years, feeling ignored, or crazy. Letting things slip by because I want to avoid seeing my doctor whom I do not trust... It shouldn't be that way.

• Posted

Yes, they confirmed I have PCOS. The pelvic exam was unclear as she said she felt some abnormalities but the blood tests were abnormal. The thing that confirmed it was PCOS. 

This is your life and your health is 100% integral to your quality of life, definitley go back and don't back down until there is a diagnosis - if its not pcos, ask what the next stage is to finding out what is wrong. 

I am lucky I have a good DR now, I am actually seeing a dietician soon in order to plan a PCOS diet, because I dont want to be on BC ideally.

I hope you get a result soon because knowing what is wrong takes a lot of stress off your plate and then you can start managing it. 

• Posted

**the thing that confirmed it was PCOS was the ultrasound. they did a transabdominal ultrasound, which goes inside and shows a much clearer picture apparently. 
    • Posted

Hope you don't mind me commenting as I've new to these kind of groups. I know how you feel as I have pcos also and the pain are terrifying some times! The pains get worser each time. Like a stabbing. It's horrible.

• Posted

Im 21 and was just diagnosed with PCOS after months of searching for an answer while all the doctors i saw thought i was just having “menstrual pains” and frankly thought I was crazy without saying as much. The pains actually got so bad I went to the ER  a number of times. Ultrasounds showed nothing prominent so they send me on my way. My primary care wanted to put me on the pill to get me to have regular periods but I wanted to know what was really wrong. I had irregular periods my entire life but was never overweight (only by 10lbs if so) and I didn’t have any excessive body hair that they noticed so they brushed it off.

Then I started working with someone who does NaPro tracking and tracked every day of every cycle I had. She agreed that I should see a doctor specializing in these areas; I saw two. The first was young and said i needed to track longer but had a suspicion that I had problems with progesterone production and said i should get tests done to test it once i could accurately identify my peak day in a cycle (day of ovulation). The second was a very smart man and he was the first out of every doctor to actually listen to me and what i had to say. I was tired of getting no answers and didn’t want to go but with encouraging words from my mom and my friends i decided to give it another try. He looked at my charts from my cycle and said right away “It think you have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.” I told him about the pains I was having in my abdomen, my back, and sometimes thighs that they werent all the time just sometimes and how sometimes i would get my period then sometimes not for awhile. He says not everyone will have the same symptoms and that it was good that I spent the time tracking for myself and kept going because the pill would have helped with the regular periods but not much else.

PCOS is a prediabetic condition and is associated with insulin resistance. This can cause excess androgen production (a male hormone) from the ovaries causing the irregular period or delayed ovulation and physical appearnace symptoms. It can also lead to infertility and other reproductive problems.

He did blood tests to test my hormone production and insulin levels and low and behold the results showed i had PCOS. He prescribed Metformin a drug used for type 2 diabetes but is also used to treat PCOS because both have problems with insulin resistance. It also helps with ovulation. I haven’t started it yet, I’m waiting until after the holidays- but I think it will be for the best. 

You have the right to know whats going on with your body and you deserve answers so don’t let anyone make you feel crazy for wanting them. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.