Anyone fighting anxiety without meds?

Posted , 13 users are following.

My question is that is there anyone out there that is fighting or cured anxiety without meds?

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Its important to remember meds are not a cure for anxiety, they aren't ever meant to be. Typically anxiety is caused by emotional problems which can only be dealt with long term with a therapeutic approach. Meds are there to help deal with symptoms while the underlying cause is dealt with. That can be different for everyone. I've never taken meds,and I don't imagine I'm in a worst state than those who do,I go into therapy when I need it and it works well
  • Posted

How about cognitive behaviour therapy? I'm on the waiting list for it, apparently it's better than medication as it is more long term. I've just started on citalopram too but hoping that the combination helps
    • Posted

Basically talking therapy, I was referred by my gp, it teaches you to change the way that you think, and gives you a coping mechanism. Have a read in the Internet, there is lots if good things about it. Unfortunately there is often a long wait for it unless you can afford private
    • Posted

cbt is just one of the many forms of therapy, it works for some, but if it doesnt dont be afraid to ask for a different route
  • Posted

I am. I used them about twenty years ago. I cant use them now due to health issues. It is possible. And they have benzos for emergency situation. I cant use thise either.I use vitamins and suppliments and juicing. Healing meditation and mindfullness..belly breathing. Even people who use medicine do not achieve perfect results long term and they stop working over time  and some are addicting. Anyone with eye issues should be careful because ssris effect the eyes.Im not against them its a personal choice but very vital to,learn whats behind it or how to manage it as well. There are some that the anxiety is unmanageable and meds are needed to function, but i cant use them so I Have to deal with it and so i do. You will need to learn CBT..get a book on it or watch videos. Pinterest is excellent for helpful ideas and remedies for anxiety as well. Anxiety levels tends to be erratic and can go away for long spans then return. Meds should be a last resort. 
  • Posted

Hello Billie,

I have been fighting with Anxiety for almost four months (seems like a lifetime), without any medication.

It is super hard, but the minute you get into bed every night, you have the satisfaction that you actually survived another day without any help from medication.

I know that helps mesmile

Good luck!

• Posted

Ronnie do you find yourself obsessing over your anxiety? Do you have a higher than normal heart rate with it
    • Posted

Of course! I wake up every single day, the first thing on my mind is what today is going to look like, and that always triggers my heart rate.

When I went to a therapist for the first time a few months ago, the first thing she asked me when I told her I had anxiety, was if my heart rate was being unusually fast.

It's just part of anxiety... try meditation, I do every morning and before I go to sleep...

You just have to remind yourself every time that it is anxiety and you're not going to die from it, just like you didn't the times it has happened before.

It's super hard to tell yourself these things when you're having an attack or having a bad and anxious day, but you have to try.

It will all be okaysmile 

Good luck! 

• Posted

OK one more question...have you ever heard of a heart rate of 190 with a panic attack?
    • Posted

Honestly, I don't check my heart rate when I'm having an attack because it freaks me out much more...

If you don't have a history of a dangerous heart rate or any other heart problem, then I don't think there is a reason for it to be not normal for such a situation...

If you are really troubled by it, then you can always go get it checked, but I don't think there is anything to be worried about..

smile

• Posted

I have had it checked but I have turned ocd at checking my pulse. I actually went to an EP who specializes in heart rythms and he said my heart was perfect not to worry about it. But it is so hard to accept that it is coming from my worry. Three months ago I didn't have a care in the world!
    • Posted

I really understand you...

My anxiety symptoms are the worst... I face them all the time.

Constantly reminding myself that it's all from anxiety. But then there is another voice in your head telling you that it's impossible that your heart is beating crazy fast, or that you feel like you are about to pass out just because of anxiety.

But it's true, the doctors say it, the people who had anxiety and are now over it say it.

You just have to trust the people who are giving you answers, even though there is always that bad voice that says that "they are not to be trusted, what do they know, I know there is something wrong with me".

One time when I was talking to my therapist about my body symptoms and constatly asking her questions, she suddenly said something to me that I will never forget, she said "You are just waiting for something to go wrong, and that is the only thing that will get you to calm down".

It's true. We are so worried that there is something wrong with our health, we are just waiting to hear "there is something wrong with your heart" or something like that, because when they tell us that everything is okay with our health, we don't believe them...

So my advice to you, is to just trust the world, trust the doctors, try to let go of the obsession of checking your pulse, it does no good, and be optimistic. 

You are not alone. Look how many people are going through what you are going through, and they all survivesmile

• Posted

You are so right!!! I just can not get over the fast heart rate, the chest fluttlers, blurry eyes, feeling like I have a breath that is stuck!!! That k you so much!!!
    • Posted

I'ts just a matter of reminding yourself everytime, that's it's gonna pass and it's all okay.

No problem! If you need anything else, I am always available and happy to help. 

Good luck and I hope you feel better soonsmile

• Posted

Ronnie do you have face book? Will you look me up? Billie Jo Lynn martin?
    • Posted

Holding my hand behind my head wearing a white dress
    • Posted

Hello billie... my heart rate was around 200 on a panic attack... and as usual after a few mins.. everything was normal.. so it's really in the head.. smile
    • Posted

Really? I'd like to chat with you more about it!!! Mine scared the crap out of me!!! It was aweful!!! Nik do you have face book? If you want you can message me there! I don't get my emails often. Billie Jo Lynn Martin. I am wearing a white dress holding my hair in the back. If you want please message me so I can talk to you!
    • Posted

I also have health anxiety I got better and was totally back to normal for 3 months then all of a sudden was back to square one

I got better the first time with meditation change diet keeping myself busy

• Posted

Hi Billie, 

I don't have facebook... but if you want we could email?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.