anyone had pain after angiogram apart from the normal ones ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there i had my fourth angiogram in september 2012 ,they did it in my left arm and the artery was too small to get the tube in and it hurt so much despite the numbing of my wrist they then injected a widening solution into my artery and said you may feel a bit of a tingle my god i felt like i was being electrocuted all over my body nasty really nasty ,after about 3 months i started to get the most severe arm pain now and again and its over a year now and the pain is getting to the point of i want to cry and i am pretty tough i am terrified to tell the doc as they may send me for another angiogram and i truly could not bear the pain of another one especially as i use a walking stick in that hand and have a bad leg and they would only have my groin to go in and its been gone into on my right side ,has anyone had anything like this please thank you ,

1 like, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

simoneysimoney if you are feeling that tired i think it may go on for a while yet,sorry but i have found myself with such pain in my arm and i am taking mega painkillers to try and get rid of the stupid thing to no avail and you are shattered as its not just a simple procedure they have invaded your body and messed you up and nobody tells you before you sign the consent form that you may feel like shit for months afterwards do they a lot of people have no bother with them i guess we are just unlucky huh ,i got cream to rub into my arm its rubbish does not work at all i am just scared the scar tissue may block the artery as it builds up inside as there is no way to clear it take care and i hope you feel some relief soon good luck x
    • Posted

Sorry to see that you are still having problems, have they offered any further tests to try and definitively work out what's going on question Dunno, a Doppler ultrasound or something neutral
    • Posted

thanks benny no they have offered nothing just deal with it basically,i have a fifty per cent blocked artery at the moment and i can no way go through another one of these angiograms as my left leg is damaged and they cannot go in that way as it twitches and i cannot keep still,they have gone in my right and cant go there again ,twice in my right arm and the damage is in my left so again they cannot do it as the damage is there so i just deal with the gtn and the drugs and get on with things if they had given me a bypass after the heart attack i would be cool now i was only 45 when it happened and was fit and working six months before it happened apart from chronic leg pain that was misdiagnosed after years of tests dopplers ,x rays ,the worst was a needle pressure test where they insert 5 inch needles into your calf and register it on a monitor never felt pain like it in my life then the final needle they put in before they do that they ask you to walk as far as you can and when the pain is most chronic they put the final needle in dear god i do not know how i did that but i did and screamed the place down they gave me morphine straight after it was done and they said i had shin splints ??????
    • Posted

Jeesh sometimes the application of 'medicine' seems like you're a victim in a horror movie rather than a voluntary client seeking help neutral
    • Posted

oh thats not the best of it he said i needed a faciotomy and i had never had an operation before but he said it will be fine we will have you back to your old self again running round and i had been so in pain i said to him promise me as i was petrified of being knocked out for an operation this was ayear before my heart attack so went had it done was stuck in hospital for four days instead of one and the pain was still chronic so i asked a male nurse when will the pain ease as he was changing the dressing it should well be gone by now love he said and why are you still on a morphine push as most fasciotomys after the stitches are removed are so much better and the relief is awesome for people so on the fifth day i asked the doc and he said it will take time and i could go home i was glad to get home and a nurse came and checked the wound i had a stitch infection (i know you would not believe it would you) so i waited and waited and went back still unable to put any pressure on my leg as it was as bad if not worse i was then sent for yet another mri and they found a nerve trapped between my back and groin and had misdiagnosed the shin splints by this time i could not stand for any more than five miutes without having to sit on my right leg curled under me they cannot help me now at all as the nerve if removed would have to make a hole in my back and i could end up doubly incontinent and also they have said they will not risk the anastehtic as that could kill me alone so i feel very let down by the nhs i will not even go for a much needed blood test now as i am so afraid they may mess up x
    • Posted

Aww bless, sorry to hear this sad
    • Posted

its all cool benny i get on with things and have a wheelchair when needed also a mobility scooter to get around on if i go out but it breaks my heart i cannot play properly with my only grandaughter she is nearly four and so lively but she seems to know nanny cant do some things so we just play what we can and the floor is always good plus bubbles and pretending to be statues i lifted her last week as something scared her and was in agony for days after i am only 54 and after putting trust in so many doctors i just cannot ever again x
  • Posted

Hello everyone, I have had an angiogram a couple of weeks ago and have bruising on my arm from wrist to elbow. Also have the constant pain and the doctor suggests using an arnica compress over the area day and night. This discussion is helpful as I realise I am not unique. Daytime the pain is manageable but nighttime is difficult. Hopefully time will take care of it.
  • Posted

Hi leoett the pain does get less but from time to time you still get the chronic want to sob your eyes out pain i have found you just have to live with it the artery has been damaged and there is no fix for it at all,they gave me silly cream to rub in for varicose veins ??? i have found if you hold your arm out of the bed straight when sleeping it helps a bit good luck x

• Posted

Hi simoneysimoney. Many thanks for your response. I appreciate your comments and will continue to look for helpful options.
  • Posted

Hi sadsack.  I have to report that more than four weeks have passed since I had my angiogram.  In the meantime the doctor recommended an arnica compress which I continued to use for long periods of time for a couple of weeks, I had a viscular manipulation along with some massage and also visited a medical herbalist who applied topical St Johns Wort along with an ointment containing arnica, calendula as well as St Johns Wort.  With this approach as well as time passing I am delighted to be able to say that I am now almost free from pain and the cpolourful bruising has almost disappeared.  Keeping my arm flat in bed, moving it around above my head and not lying on it at all, helped with the sleeping so I am very grateful for your help.  Many thanks.
  • Posted

Hi sadsack.  I have to report that more than four weeks have passed since I had my angiogram.  In the meantime the doctor recommended an arnica compress which I continued to use for long periods of time for a couple of weeks, I had a viscular manipulation along with some massage and also visited a medical herbalist who applied topical St Johns Wort along with an ointment containing arnica, calendula as well as St Johns Wort.  With this approach as well as time passing I am delighted to be able to say that I am now almost free from pain and the cpolourful bruising has almost disappeared.  Keeping my arm flat in bed, moving it around above my head and not lying on it at all, helped with the sleeping so I am very grateful for your help.  Many thanks.
    • Posted

iya so glad you are free almost from pain and the bruising almost gone i can not take st jhons wort as it cannot be used with most of my meds and the cream i have has arnica in it also not able to use with my meds but tried it anyways to no effect but i deal with the pain now as i do with most pains it becomes a part of you and if it is easier one time you think cool its gone but it never is but so happy for you xxx

• Posted

It's a while since you posted so I hope you get this...there is a new way to do angiogram now they do a CT cardio angiogram which is just injected dye and lots of pictures per second it's just as effective I hope this post finds you well
    • Posted

thank you so very much that does help,as i have a fifty per cent blockage still that causes spasm brill help thanks xxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.