Atrophic vaginitis - Relief at last!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi ladies

Thought I would share my latest attempt to ease the symptoms of AV.  I stumbled upon an American website where a Gynae Doctor recommended using Vitamin E oil.  I bought some Vitamin E capsules and did as he suggested and inserted one into my Vagina daily as well as puncturing another capsule with a pin and  squeezing the oil out and rubbing it around the opening of my vagina.  After 5 days of doing this I finally started to get relief and 2 weeks on I am still using it and feel great.  I am still using Vagifem twice a week also.  Give the Vitamin E oil a go ladies.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

5 likes, 81 replies

81 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

You ladies have inspired me to try the vit E. I was surprised to find that they were pricier than many of the other vitamins. Went with the least expensive 400 IU. I actually have only a mild discomfort that comes and goes, but if it works in severe cases I'm hoping it will be good for me in general. I also looked for the neutral PH wipes which they seem to no linger carry.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Glad you are going to try the Vitamin E Beverly. I am finding it is helping me. This VA has been one of the worst things to deal with. I am sure the Vitamin E will help you with more severe cases. I will also look for the wipes you mention.

Shirley

• Posted

Well, I did try one last night and was made so uncomfortable by it I had to take it out! Leave it to me to be the oddball. Instead I punctured it and used the oil externally. I wonder if I was having a reaction to the casing or if I just didn't get it up high enough (for obvious reasons). Will try again in a few days. BTW, I did notice Vit E sold in an oil form. That might be more convenient for those using it externally. Maybe it isn't as thick also.
    • Posted

Hope you get on ok next time you try with the capsules Beverly.I've not seen Vit E in a bottle yet but will have a look. I've done better with the Vit E than either of the things the doctor prescribed.
    • Posted

I'm in the US so availabilty of products may differ. Not sure but the liquid may have come with a dropper in the bottle. If so that would be helpful. There were several brands on the shelf right next to the capsules and they may have been a bit less expensive. Have learned that E is also recommended for scar tissue.
    • Posted

Yes the availability of products may vary. A dropper in the bottle would be most helpful wouldn't it. I will check out the various oils next time I am in town. Its interesting that you mention scar tissue too as I had an hip replacement operation not long since and need to deal with the scar tissue! Thanks. Shirley.
  • Posted

I will certainly give vit E a try. I was prescribed Estriol cream every night for a fortnight then twice a week, inserted into Vagina. I did not realise I had an issue until I began a new relationship after over three years celibacy and found intercourse painful and actually impossible. This was distressing and embarrasing! I also use almond oil externally. It is a bit better but not totally satisfactory. Unlike som of you other ladies I have no pain or discharge at other times so am lucky. I will also look up vit e suppositories on google! Let us knowe how you get on.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear about your problems Lynne. Glad you have no pain or discharge at other times though. My other problem with the atrophy is that I have days when I feel like I want to wee again, even when I've just been. Extremely irritating. Not heard of using almond oil till you mentioned it. But yes, so far so good with the Vit E capsules. Not perfect but a lot better than anything else I have tried. Hope you find the suppositories on Google.
    • Posted

It was my lovely sympathetic doctor who told me to use Almond oil around the opening to the vagina, as it is gentle. Not sure about coconut oil.
    • Posted

Yes that's a different one Lynne, Almond oil and by god it needs to be gentle doesn't it?! My doc said how many women suffer from atrophy when they are a few years post menopause. I was surprised really. Thought it was just me.
    • Posted

I have used coconut oil and although it's soothing it is very oily on your clothes so would have to wear a liner. Liners can irritate me so a bit counter-productive!
    • Posted

Must admit Sus that I have been irritated with liners too. Must try another one and see how I get on with it.
    • Posted

I was told to use all organic unscented liners and pads..frankly have worried about them makeing me more irritated.So have not tryed them.My dermatilogist told me you also can buy cloth ones that can be washed and re used on the net.
  • Posted

Gwen, I have also found coconut oil to be effective. I think it may also have antibacterial properties. Organic is available and affordable. And you can cook with it!
    • Posted

Hi Beverly, I must remember that, Coconut oil. Must admit that would have never entered my head. :-)
    • Posted

There is a list that comes up on the Internet if you type in asking about the properties, with all the wonderful things that cocnut oil can do

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.