Atrophic Vaginitis with Burning, Frequent Urination and Pain

Posted , 13 users are following.

What are some of the natural products you are using to treat the burning, frequent urination and terrible pain during intercourse.  I was working with a dr. who wanted me to bring my low vit D up before I used any creams and it got high enough so she started me on Estrace cream and I have all the symptoms I had before after starting the cream, burning, constant urination. I stopped the Estrace over a week ago and my symptoms have not subsided.  This is terrible. I have not had intercourse in 6 months trying to fix this problem.  I've been to so many doctors too.  This dr. has now prescribed a bioidentical estradiol capsule. This is just a terrible way to exist every day,  Is there anything else you all can recommend that helped you get rid of this severe problem and lead a  normal life?  Thanks.

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I ahve done two out of the three Mona Lisa treatments. I had only a slight irritation after the first treatment. The second was painless. My tissues are so good, according to a nurse practioner, that it is almost a miracle. Google Mona Lisa Touch Laser and go to their home page. You will get all the info you need.  
    • Posted

Hi Jean--this is extremely helpful..thank you so much. Everyone who mentions the Mona Lisa laser seems to have great results. I will look into this! 
  • Posted

Hi. My reply was deleted by the moderator. I think it was because I mentioned a brand. Bit annoyed because it took me a long time to type – I wish the moderator would just delete what they don't like and post it. I wanted to let you know what natural things I use and that have helped me. Anyway, trying again:-

I apply: organic raw cold pressed coconut oil internally and externally after every time I go to the loo (many of us have found coconut oil to be beneficial); apply yes oil based lube externally to reduce friction when out and about because it lasts longer and stays better than coconut oil; insert a coconut oil + vit e pessary every night before I go to bed; apply vit e oil internally and externally once a day (squeezed from a 200iu oral capsule. Some women use 400iu). I also massage the skin posterior to the vaginal opening with oil to keep it elastic and supple. None of the water based vaginal moisturisers or those containing hyaluronic acid work for me – they either sting or make me swell up.

Orally, I take: DIM (diindolymethane) and agnus Castus to balance hormone levels; pueraria mirifica (100mg once a day) which has been shown to have bioactivity similar to oestrogen on the vaginal tissues, improving the condition and natural moisturisation; sea buckthorn oil which has been shown by very good research to improve the condition of the vaginal wall cells (if you take 3g a day – I take 2 x 500mg capsules three times a day after meals).

It is also important to continue sexual activity to keep your natural lube levels up and increase blood flow to the area.

I had vulvodynia three years ago (in 2013) which made penetration impossible. Once I recovered after about 1.5 years, I then began to get vaginal dryness due to menopause. The vulvodynia left me unable tolerate any products in the vaginal area other than natural oils. So, by trial and error I found out what worked for me and very gradually stretched myself  (I used my own fingers at first, then vaginal dilators, then my hubby, then we gradually increased sexual activity until this year we are up to at least twice a week and it feels normal.

I hope this helps. Any questions, do ask.

• Posted

Hi Suki- extremely helpful!

Did you find a homeopathic doctor who is guiding you/ advising you on the vitamins DIM (diindolymethane) and agnus Castus, pueraria mirifica (100mg once a day) and the sea buckthorn oil ?

I ask because if so, then it means likeminded ones are out there --and I will seek one out too. Also, are all the above items you use found in health food stores I'm guessing? I went into a Whole Foods here and couldn't find the sea buckthorn, but will look more now that I see how well its doing. Did your doctor also want you to go on an Estrace type cream each day like mine? I want to be sure we have the same issue : atrophy.

Thanks so much for the very helpful reply here. 

• Posted

Yes we are talking atrophy. I am 50 and I had vaginal dryness. The dryness was increasing and intercourse was becoming painful, despite copious use of oil based lubes. I have not had any advice from anyone - I researched it all myself. The beneficial effects of sea buckthorn oil on the condition of the vaginal wall cells seems to be fairly well researched and the test subjects were given 3g a day. Pueraria mirifica is less well researched but it appears to have a very potent oestrogenic effect so anyone who has had an oestrogen related cancer shouldn't take it. I take 100mg a day, which is the smallest size capsule I could find, although what research has been done did find beneficial effects on the condition and moisture of the vaginal wall with 20mg. Some women have reported the return of their periods when taking pueraria m. I can't comment on that because mine never properly finished when I started getting dryness and started taking supplements - even now, just when I go a few months without a period with only spotting and I think I have finished, the old ovaries sputter back to life and I get one! Just finish already!!!

Anyway, as far as I know you cannot get sea buckthorn oil or pueraria mirifica from pharmacies or health food stores. I got mine on the Internet. I don't think I can tell you where from or the brand as the moderator will delete my message. I think I can message you privately?

• Posted

Oh, yes, and I forgot to say, I am not using any oestrogen based products - not through choice, mind you. Because the only problem I had was dryness I was prescribed vagifem pessaries. I don't know about plumping one up inside - I swelled up so much, I couldn't get a finger in there! The idea was to make intercourse easier and more comfortable, not to shut the shop to business! So I gave that up and decided not to try any oestrogen creams either and pursue natural products - seems to be working at the moment....
    • Posted

Amazing help and a wealth of information! Thanks so much- and I appreciate the details as well. I will be seeing my gyno and will see how the Vit E is doing, and also I'm going to take yoiur list to her. Of course she said only the Estrace seems to be proven to work, but like I said--if I can help it and stay away from something thats possibly unsafe -- I will try natural first always. I will keep you posted on this as well!
    • Posted

My gyno was flummoxed as to why the vagifem made me swell up so much. She had never heard of it happening before. All she coul think was that it worked too well on me and made me plump up too much. The same thing happened to me with water based vaginal moisturisers. My gyno is all for trying everything and finding what works best for the individual. That is the approach we took to curing the vulvodynia. 
    • Posted

You found a great gyno- sounds like she's a good blend of MD and integrative which is great. My atrophy I feel only during intercourse -pain more inside vag- and I'm wondering do I put the sea buckthorn oil inside..is that okay?Outside vag I feel fine. And your gyno said the sea buckthorn oil is okay to use? Ok thanks..!
    • Posted

Hi I was given sea buckthorn oil tablets by my Chinese herbalist doctor. I taken then not all the time but I will start taking them now. Thank you .
    • Posted

Hi Rosedee- What were the symptons that the hebalist doctor precsribed sea buckthorn oil tablets to treat?

Was it pain ( that I have) inside during intercourse, or something else?

( there are several things people on here are mentioning lke burning, shrinking etc. ) I just want to be sure its for same thing as I have. Great that you found a Chinese herbalist! Thats what I would like to find actually. 

Ok thanks in advance. 

• Posted

Lots of us have found that coconut oil helps with the tissue inside the vag. I apply it regularly throughout the day - after every time I go to the loo. With a clean finger I get a blob of it on the end of my finger and push it in. A lot of us also apply with vit e oil from an oral capsule once a day - pierce with a pin and squeeze out onto clean finger then insert. I apply the vit e oil once a day. 

I do also use coconut oil as a lube during intercourse, but find it dissipates fairly quickly and needs reapplying. Yes oil based has better staying power. But coconut oil tastes better, if you know what I mean wink

• Posted

I think I had the same symptoms as you Marl. I didn't have pain ordinarily but due to increasing dryness intercourse was becoming painful, until I started trying the various methods I have written about.
    • Posted

Hi Marl

I had burning/itching/ dryness/ pain during intercourse and just very uncomfortable. I went to so many doctors ( as I work in an emergency department) got different stories. First just dryness then LS ( which now she doesn't think it is) and AV. Tryed everything until a friend said to go to a Chinese Herbilist. He gave me the buckthorn tablets 4 to take orally and one to rub in. I also use coconut oil and every once in a while vit E. I also use baking soda to bath in once a week. He told me not to wear undies at night or if I'm home. Went to my Gyne last week and was told that everything looks great. I do Alison use Vegiferm twice a week but will try and go to one time until I get off them. I have noticed sugar brings on the itch and dryness so I try not to have it. I in menapause stage and I pray it goes away.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Marl and Rosedee,

i also wear no knickers when at home (luckily I work from home most of the time!). In summer I wear a skirt, in winter baggy jogging bottoms. Working from home means I am able to apply the coconut oil as often as I want. When out and about I take a little travel pot of it and apply externally only with a cotton wool pad (organic, no bleach) as I cannot vouch for the cleanest of my fingers.  At home I wash my hands with a female intimate area wash before applying anything down there.

• Posted

Hi roses we what strength sea buckthorn do you take and how many ? Who sells it?
    • Posted

Hi Liz

Mongolian sea buckthorn oil 100 per cent. We can say the brand on here. But if you look it up its a white and blue bottle. ( blue writing) . You can get it on line.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.