Bacterial Vaginosis and red itchy bumps

Posted , 47 users are following.

On thursday I went to a friends house, and before I showered and scrubbed really hard around my vagina hoping that I could be super clean, I also scrubbed like that around my anus. ( I used summers eve, the blue cap) At his house, we had very rough sex three times. When I got home I took a shower and scrubbed just as I had on Thursday. I think I had some minor itching but not enough for me to notice. On saturday I think it was a little more porminent, but again, not enough for me to think anything of it. Sunday however, I believe I had some more irritation and itchiness. Monday and Tuesday were the days that I had some severe itching and irritation and slight burning when I used the bathroom. So Tuesday I went to the health center to ask what was wrong and they suggested to make and appointment so I did for Wednesday. As this point, I had maybe 4 red bumps that were itchy and irritating, I was sore and just felt uncomfortable and I could hardly sit. The OBGYN tested me for STDs just and case, but am still waiting upon results. She did her stuff and looked at my discharge and concluded that it was bacterial vaginosis and gave me antibiotic get to insert for five days. It sunday and I am still itchy and sore and it burns very bad when I urinate and also, the red bumps have spread to my anus. Me and this guy did not have anal sex, but we did however try but it did not work out but he did finger me a littler bit. Also this is not the first time that I have had sex with this guy, nor is it the first time that we have had rough sex like we did. I do not have a fishy odor, the red bumps are just really itchy and irritating and sore not some much or hurting, just when I sit am I uncomfortable. I do not think that it is herpes because the bumps I have do not look like herpes, they almost look acne like. There are also a few on the inside of the lips. I don't think it genital warts either because, again the pictures do not match my bumps. Taking Advil, helps the irritation like no other. Should I finish the antibiotics or should I go see the OBGYN again or just wait it out, and let my body handle one thing at a time? Or could the bumps just be a reaction to scrubbing my vagina too hard? I fee like if anything they are boils but I am not a doctor but maybe you guys can give me some input on what you think. Thank you!

3 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Omggg! Same thing is happening to me! I seriously thought I had herpes. Still waiting for the results of course but none of the bumps/lesions look like the herpes images I've seen and I did a full work up on every STI you can imagine. Same symptoms as every one else. Hurts like hell to pee. So far I haven't found any type of comforting measures with that although my doc did prescribe a UTI medicine that you take to help with the burn while urinating. It basically makes your pee orange. I was prescribed one Diflucan pill and a 7 day yeast infection treatment. It blessed my heart yo see this!! Hope everyone feels better soon!
  • Posted

I went through the same thing as you. So here is the deal, I had welts that looked nothing like herpes but of course still paniced . went to the emergency room because the Gyno didn't have anything until a few days later . they diagnosed me as having herpes without testing me . so when i finally made it to the Gyno she told me it didn't look like herpes but an allergic reaction to a scented soap on top of having vagititis and yeast infection which also could of caused it. Got blood work done for std test and they all came out negative, hope this helps .
    • Posted

Also doing a bath with 1 cup apple cider vinegar helps balance out the bacteria . Then apply some coco but oil after the bath which helps out back good probiotics
    • Posted

It's good to have another follow up blood test within 3 months because if it's really herpes and new infection, it's too early to get a positive result. It takes about 3 months for your blood to make antibodies which are what the doctors look for when they test for herpes. It has to be Igg test no Igm.

FYI, Herpes is not always painfull blisters that open into ulcers and then scabs and heal. some people have bumps, others have papercuts, some itchness or no symptoms at all. It's going to be different. If u are going to have any new sexual partners it's good to use protection or maybe abstain until all this is clarified.

For all the people that are saying BV causes red bumps. It's not true. You can research the symptoms online. I have had BV before and herpes negetive. i never had bumps. i only had a bad smell during sex. That's how i was tested and was treated with metronidazole and it was gone. in my case, it was caused by prolonged use of antibiotics. Anything that can upset the balance of normal flora/bacteria in the vagina can cause BV.

I hope it's not herpes for you sarah, but it's good to follow up with another test just for your own peace of mind and also protecting future sex partners

good luck

• Posted

Hi everyone,

I found out I was pregnant about a month and a half ago, I like to keep fit but I've been told that I'm gonna have to tone down my exercises later on during my pregnancy however swimming is something I can do throughout. So I decided to start swimming again so it doesn't cause extra strain later on in my pregnancy. The swimsuit I have is quite tight to be honest. Next day I had odd discharge as the days went on I got exactly the same symptoms as above sores, itching, fishy, uncomfortable when I pee discharge. So I decided to take anti thrush cream, cos I thought it was yeast infection. The symptoms went down but the sores were still there not as painful. 2 weeks later I started to bleed I got paranoid as I thought I was miscarrying. After going to the doctors who checked everything was fine and I was told it was common and not related to anything, but the thrush, sores and symptoms came back this time with no sex. Because I heard how STIs can affect an unborn child I decided to go and get checked asap cos as much as I was avoiding the thought of herpes I did start thinking what if and although my bumps looked nothing like herpes Google doesn't help. And I'm glad I did I got tested and I found out I had BV something I had never thought of. It is more common in pregnancy because of hormonal changes. I am thankfully negative when it comes to herpes and any other STI from Chlamydia to HIV. I thank God I went when I did because I also found out leaving it can cause problems with an unborn baby or possible miscarriage. It may be herpes it may not. You can get sores and blisters from BV everyone is different. Go and get checked

• Posted

I'm so glad I found this post. Has anyone else gotten results from the herpes swab test?

For the past week I've been taking antibiotics for BV. Around the same time my BV showed up I started developing these painful sores that looked nothing like herpes but hurt like hell. Everything on Google said I had herpes but I wasn't so sure. When the doctor looked at them she wasn't sure either. Now I'm just waiting for the swab result (for forever it seems) and will let you know my results in the next week or so.

• Posted

Sarah did you get your results back? I am also so thankful I saw this post, but would like to here if anyone got their results back. 
    • Posted

My symptoms are the same as listed above. uncomfortable, unbearable irration- so bad it's uncomfortable walking, satellite lesions, though the burning while peeing has subsided, now it hurts when I do anything else (sorry if tmi). I have an article that really encompasses all the symptoms. I can personal message it to you if you would like.  I tried including it in my last post. 
    • Posted

Hi Brittaney,

So yeah, bad news - it came back positive for Herpes Simplex 1. The BV might have come from the outbreak hence why I had both. At first I was crushed but as I've done more research I've learned that HSV1 isn't so bad - I may only have 1-2 breakouts in my life as it's the cold sore virus but doesn't thrive down below. I would suggest you get it checked by a doctor, they can at least get you on some meds which cleared everything up for me within a day or two. Good luck!

• Posted

Same here ladies mine finally after two negative swab tests a blood test gave my results of having herpes. Now two years later, I have perfectly healthy set of one year old twins, i rarely have outbreaks (about three - four times a year ) I immediately take valtrex as soon as I feel the tingle or as soon as the bumps arrive, an excellent suggestion that has nearly saved me from insanity. ORAJEL!!!! Liquid orajel bought in stores, when u have lesions, dab some on there then place a paper towel between your legs to keep it dry in there, everything heals a billion times faster. Amen to that. Lysine is also amazing i put a little on the towel at the beginning of the outbreak and it moves the healing along also can be found at drug stores. smile <3>
    • Posted

Also when you have lesions and its unbearable to pee, if you get in the bathtub with a little warm water, sit down and pee in the tub. Yes i know disgusting. Youll thank me later when you can urinate without passing out.
    • Posted

Hi I just needed someone to talk to who has hsv2 to, would you be able to email me please..
  • Posted

To the ladies that were diagnosied by a doctor with herpes and now are asking if it could actually be BV, it's not going to be BV. If Your doctor diagnosied you with herpes then it's most definitely that. A rash and vaginal fishers are tell tale signs of herpes. I have herpes and my outbreaks look NOTHING like the pictures because those pictures only show severe outbreaks. Some people have herpes and have zero symptoms at all, or their symptoms are so minimal they don't even notice. When I do have an herpes out break (which happens almost never now that I'm on antivirals) I would get an itchy rash, and tiny little painless cuts for about a week. For awhile I thought it was BV or a yeast infection because the symptoms were very minimal and they tend to mimic both BV and yeast infections. However I got blood work done and found it was actually herpes. If you have even the slightest thought it could be herpes you should go get your blood tested. I know no one wants to know they have herpes but this way you can get antivirals that will make ur outbreaks go away or less frequent and will lower the risk of transmission to your partner. Since I've been on antivirals I haven't had an outbreak in two years and the levels of HSV in blood have become nearly undetectable which means transmission is not very likely.
  • Posted

What brand of folic acid did you use?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.